PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Kindle?

MayinJerset
January 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas. One of the features he liked is that I could connect to the internet for free. Well he checked with our cable co and yes I can connect for free but there's a $40 charge for installation and then $8 per month after that. That's too much for me. I actually like to read a printed book and don't need to be connected to the internet all of the time, thought it would be a good feature when we travel but not at those prices.

Do you have a Kindle and how do you like it? What about add on features? Are they worth it? Would an I-Pad be better? I'm not used to paying large fees to use cells, etc. In fact our cells cost us each $30 a year as we only use them traveling or emergency needs. They did come in very handy while we had no power or phone services because of the hurricane. May

Jean Sewing Machine
January 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
How do you connect to the internet? I have a wireless modem in my home, it works for my laptop and iPad and phone as well as working as a router for my printer for all devices. I guess that's what you would be paying for. You could go to a wireless hotspot that you could download your books there, and then read whereever. So many places have free wi-fi. It might take some planning, but you could do it, which ever device you use.

Lisapc
January 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM
My hubby got me a 10.1 inch Asus android tablet for Christmas. I have a wireless router in the house for our laptops so I connect to the internet through that router. I can take the tablet with me and access free wifi service anywhere. The tablet actually automatically scans for wifi and simply asks me permission to connect. It is great. I get to watch Jenny's tutorials when I am waiting for anything.

Hubby got me the Android over the iPad because of the cost of the pad, user friendliness and the variety of free apps and based on reviews.

Our library has free e reader downloads and you check them out from the tablet and they expire in 3 weeks if you want to read a book with it or their are free apps for that or you can buy a google book or amazon or whatever. I like a paper book in my hand but may consider the library book option.

My tablet is a great toy but I would have preferred new tables for my sewing room. It will never replace a computer but it does come in handy.

I am not in a position to pay to access the internet with a tablet so I prefer my android tablet connecting to our regular internet via a router for free and enough businesses offer free wifi to keep me happy!

yeeehawterri
January 8th, 2013, 11:21 AM
You can always use the wifi in public places to download any books you might want, so many places have free wifi now. Once downloaded, you don't need to be connected to read. That said, I like the feel of a book and turning pages. I don't have a kindle, but do have a tablet.

Dena1219
January 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I also got a Kindle for Christmas and its getting a work out since then. I just connect mine to the router we have. I don't like reading books on the Ipad or the Kindle Fire because of the back lighting. Since the Kindle is like a printed book its much easier on my eyes, it has taken me a long time to get one because I much prefer a printed book in my hand also.
Jean has a great Idea you could use a free WiFi place and get things downloaded and then read them wherever you choose.

buckeyequilter
January 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I can connect to the internet on my Kindle and Kindle Fire. I pay $5 a month for wireless home networking so there are no other expenses. At any given time, in my house, there might be 6 or 7 gadgets and computers using the internet. So it's worth the $5 to me.

madampolo
January 8th, 2013, 11:37 AM
We gave away our Kindle as it was too small for comfortable reading. We each have a tablet - my husband the IPad and I the Xoom. We read books on it as the screen is about 10 inches big. My Xoom is hooked up to the Internet so I can access it anywhere in the U.S. just like my home computer. My husband didn't want to pay the extra charge (which I really don't know what it is), so he just uses the wireless router route. If we are on the road, I can turn my Xoom into a hotspot (just as if I were a McDonald's) and he can access the net anywhere in the U.S., too. I can tell you that I cannot live without my Xoom, and I carry it everywhere I go. We listen to audio books through out car's radio speakers when we travel, and because we have net access, there is never a need to take our laptop on trips. We also use the Xoom's navigation system to route us anywhere we need to go. Love, love, love those tablets!

Roxanne
January 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I have two kindles. Just got a kindle fire for Christmas. I love both. I have a ton of books on both of them. You can connect via USB cable to your computer and download books. You don't need Wifi. Wifi is more convenient though and doesn't cost a monthly fee. If you already have internet (and apparently you do if you are on here) then it shouldn't cost any more.

buckeyequilter
January 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
My regular Kindle has 3G wirless on it....so I can access it anywhere. But I usually read on my iPod....just a little more convenient to carry.

Cat n bull
January 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Once I started reading on my Nook, I can't stand reading a paper book anymore! I even buy digital copies of books I already have, and I have hundreds of books. I LOVE changing font sizes and the background. I prefer reading white words on a black background. I also LOVE the built in dictionary. No more toting one around, if I need to know what a word means you just touch it and the definition pops up!

I don't use mine for internet frequently, mainly because I am always home and have the computer, with a BIG screen. I am glad it is wi-fi useable though. I will eventually upgrade to a tablet, but for now I LOVE my e-reader!

Donna F
January 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Have any of you gotten the Prime membership? I got mine last year's Christmas. You get free shipping with Prime and discounts on other things thru Amazon. As much as I order from them it has MORE than paid for the yearly fee itself! I do like my Kindle. I can't always get out and visit the library or book stores (which I love to do) due to health issues and if I want to read at night and want a certain book I have it all at my fingertips.
I let dh use it also. He loves to read alot too so it comes in handy. Tablets are too large for me to handle at times and I have a cell phone that has a large screen (Galaxy 3) and I use it in place of my laptop that dh uses more than I. I like that I can lie in bed and come to the forum on the days when I'm not doing so well.

bakermom
January 8th, 2013, 12:53 PM
i just got one as a gift. I could have upgraded but I only want it for reading. DD got a kindle fire so she can read and check her email etc. Other DD has a different model and "borrows" books from the library on hers. i really like mine, I can adjust the font so I can read easier. i was using Kindle on my phone so I just synced the books there to my kindle. really like it.

SuzyQue
January 8th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I LOVE my Kindle. I never thought I would switch from paper books, and I have thousands in my home that I still read, but I love to read on the Kindle. I have 2 ways on my Kindle to connect to internet......one is by the zone we live in (and we live in the boonies) and the other is through wireless (though our router or hot spots). I use the router at home, but I can connect everywhere that I take my Kindle. It is an older version.....a couple of years older. I don't leave it connected to the internet, as it wears down my battery faster, but it is great for downloading books via whispernet. I also have downloaded library books via my home computer. I don't know what I would do without my Kindle.....especially in bad weather. NO more late fees at the library for us......well, a lot less anyway! (we always take a laundry basket to the library to check out books, so occasionally one is left behind in our home somewhere)........we are a family of voracious readers!!!!

Tanya D
January 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I have an iPad but I don't use it to read books. I prefer to read a book and I usually read in the bath at night. I find it relaxing, it's a bit of "me" time although it's not uncommon for my daughter to come and perch herself on the toilet seat and proceed to tell me everything that happened that day in detail while she slowly slithers her feet into the bath.

shannonsaulter
January 8th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I have a Nook from Barnes and Noble and love it...Use the wifi to upload and even check email when away..it will be in my carry-on when we travel this summer

PhantomReader
January 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM
You can connect your kindle to your laptop/desktop to transfer books from amazon. No wi-fi needed. You just buy the books on amazon, and choose download and transfer via usb. Plug your kindle into your compuuter via the usb cord and transfer the books to the kindle. It's called side loading.

i hope that helps.

I love my kindle and I was very much against it at first. I can read a book a day and it s so much easier on the eyes and I read faster too. There is still nothing like wandering the aisles of a bookstore, but I would never give up my kindle.

Lori

New York Sue
January 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Have any of you gotten the Prime membership? I got mine last year's Christmas. You get free shipping with Prime and discounts on other things thru Amazon. As much as I order from them it has MORE than paid for the yearly fee itself! I do like my Kindle. I can't always get out and visit the library or book stores (which I love to do) due to health issues and if I want to read at night and want a certain book I have it all at my fingertips.
I let dh use it also. He loves to read alot too so it comes in handy. Tablets are too large for me to handle at times and I have a cell phone that has a large screen (Galaxy 3) and I use it in place of my laptop that dh uses more than I. I like that I can lie in bed and come to the forum on the days when I'm not doing so well.

My daughter just got the PRIME membership from Amazon and LOVES it! She is now privledged to a ton of freebies!

Lisapc
January 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hubby has prime, I better check it out!

SuziC
January 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM
We just got the Iphone 4 this Christmas and let me tell you it scared the you know what out of me. I am not too into all the new technology there is out there. I like reading the old fashioned way...real book! My boys all laugh at me

Jess1377
January 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM
DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas. One of the features he liked is that I could connect to the internet for free. Well he checked with our cable co and yes I can connect for free but there's a $40 charge for installation and then $8 per month after that. That's too much for me. I actually like to read a printed book and don't need to be connected to the internet all of the time, thought it would be a good feature when we travel but not at those prices.

Do you have a Kindle and how do you like it? What about add on features? Are they worth it? Would an I-Pad be better? I'm not used to paying large fees to use cells, etc. In fact our cells cost us each $30 a year as we only use them traveling or emergency needs. They did come in very handy while we had no power or phone services because of the hurricane. May

The prime membership is AWESEOME!! There are movies / shows you can see for free on it ( I watched Downton Abby season 1-2 on it, on Hulu I would have had to sit through commercials), free 2 day shipping, free books on your kindle and so much more ~ had it for years and it has continually gotten better!

As far as paying so much extra for your Kindle to have access to the internet, I am shocked. It shouldnt be that way though it depends on how you are connected to the internet. For instance we pay for a 10mg modem monthly but it powers up 3 computers and my kindle and a PSVita (game thingy). With the modem hooked up to one desktop pc, the other devices are hooked up wirelessly and we only had to input the password for each of the devices we use the net on.

Do you have one internet connection in your residence now with no wireless? If so, instead of having your cable co. come in and charge you for that , look into a wireless router to connect to your own computer and then you can use the signal from the router to gain internet access. It will likely be a bit over $40 but at least you wouldnt get a monthly charge to use it.

Oh and I did get a Kindle fire for Christmas as well. I like the apps, and being able to connect to the web from it etc... but i do like coming back to my laptop to use the web and check email and facebook . I have to get used to using the kindle though still. I have 2 gigantic books I am reading right now (Fall of Giants which I am re-reading and then Winter of the World) so I want to finish those before I start reading on the Kindle. I think my DH got me it cause he has seen the book (fall of giants) fall on my head when I get sleepy at night! LOL

auntiemern
January 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I am still living in the stone age, lol. No kindle, I Pad, smart phone or any of those. I can go for days without using my cell. To much technology, IMHO, gets in the way of real life. DD might as well have her phone surgically attached to her, ALWAYS texting or something. Get's on my nerves. But hey, to each his own. I got oldest GD a tablet for Christmas, and the 2 younger ones Innotabs. They are good learning tools for them. Even Bubby, uses apps on his mom's phone, which is why I got them the tablets. Strictly educational, I tell myself. But for me, I just can't go there at the moment.

MayinJerset
January 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks Everyone, I got lots of good info. I'm like Marilyn, hardly ever use my cell and like reading 'real' books. Kindle will be no problem for my internet connection. They would give me a wireless connector for Wi-Fi for free but a techie needs to install it, $40, and then they'd charged me $8 per month - no way would I pay that.

I'd like Wi-Fi for when I travel as I don't sleep 8 hrs a night and I could connect to internet while DH sleeps and not distrub him. Have you ever sat up in a dark motel room and can't sleep? Bahh. I also could read on my Kindle. Also with a Kindle I can read lying down. I like to read sitting in a chair but my arthrits kicks in and my feet, ankles and/or knees begin to puff up if I sit too long, that's quite easy to do when I get involved with a story. We've also have no place to store new books. We try to keep donating old ones to local library for their Book Sales but even they have too many books. Did pass quite a few along to nearby libraries that lost books in the hurricane.

DS#3 just called from CA, he'll be here the 19th with grandkids. 12 year old grandson Ben will get me moving and groving with my Kindle and a free or inexpensive Wi-Fi connection. I think both Kindle and Wi-FI will open new worlds for me but I plan to do it slowly, this soon to be 77 yrs old brain doesn't work as well as it used to but I'm game to try new stuff. May

nurrsey
January 8th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm a Nook person and love it....it seems you are either a Kindle or Nook person probably just which one you bought first. Once you start using it May...you will love it. I even get monthly quilting magazines on mine.

aliaslaceygreen
January 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM
LOVE my nook....I don't have the tablet-ish kind, just the 'plain old-fashioned e-ink' version that is black and white and I read on it.... I DO still read paper books, but rarely.... And you can plug into the computer to download books, and just shut off the wifi otherwise!

phoots
January 9th, 2013, 02:56 AM
I got a Kindle for Christmas 2011. Loved it! This year my BF upgraded me to a Kindle Fire! It has WIFI built in and I have WIFI at the house so I can download book anytime I want. I thought I would enjoy playing games on it but have found that it's too heavy for games...and anyway I have an iPhone that I use for games. So, for now I'm just using it for reading. But I imagine as time goes on I'll beable to get my craft magazines on my Fire! I already have a couple of crochet booklets downloaded that are great in color!

Pam in Vegas

Lisaau
January 9th, 2013, 04:49 AM
my husband bought me a kindle 3 yrs ago it was the first generation international kindle and it came with free wifi...weve never had to pay for the internet in those 3 years..l dont understand why you do................may go and buy a new modem with inbuilt wifi and install it yourself ..............you shouldnt have to pay to download things on your kindle. Just read above about your son coming to see you get him to buy a new modem with inbuilt wifi...then all your paying for is the internet conenction toy our house and you use the wifi without paying more

Roxanne
January 10th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I just got Prime and love it. Well worth what it costs. I like to watch moves on my kindle with hubby watches football. You can also borrow books for free.

Patrice
January 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Who is you Internet provider. You should be able to go to best buy or Walmart and pick up a router that hooks up to your computer. You give it a password and whatever devices you want to use to get on line type the password and your on. I have a lyndsky router. Have never had any problems with it. I will say I had trouble setting it up because of my internet provider settings so called bestbuy and for a small fee they hooked it up for me. No way should you have to pay a monthly fee for that. I have an iPad that I love. Hardly ever use the computer anymore and got hubby the kindle fire and he loves it.

Quiltlover
January 10th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Got a Nook HD for Christmas 2012 and am slowly learning to use some of its apps. Am so awful at technology and seem to just be a dunce when it comes to that sort of thing. Had just gotten a new phone a Note and it does sooo much and have been trying to learn some of what it does. Both are a bit like a computer tablet so I'm in way over my head. Love the NOTE's camera.

mommadeb
January 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
My Kindle has 3G, so I can connect anytime, anywhere. No charges to me. That part is great. Other than that, I donīt get the hype about them. I like a 'real' book. Iīm seriously considering selling my Kindle.