PDA

View Full Version : Good luck to all those who will quit smoking

Monique
January 7th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I noticed there were a few of you going to quit smoking.

I quit about 5 years ago and here are a few suggestions on how I did it.

Change your habits. I always smoked a lot when I was on the computer. I really missed this one. So I would hold my coffee cup in my left hand and kept the mouse in my right hand. That kept my hands busy.

I started walking. I have limited mobility and can only go about 15 minutes out and then back again. But it helped as well. I would listen to music as I walked. That helped.

When you get a bad craving, think of something good or do something to change your mind. To me anyway, the cravings did not last long.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Don't be ashamed, it is not easy. If it was easy everyone would do it. LOL!!

These are just a few of my own suggestions. Perhaps someone has others for you.

Remember, we are all here for support.

CrazyMtnLady
January 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Yes it is not easy. I kept celery and carrots cut up and would keep a few in a dish by my computer when I was sitting there.

Deneldac00p
January 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I would hate to tell you how many times I QUIT smoking or how many ways I QUIT smoking but I did QUIT. The best advice I got was from a doctor and he said, `Never quit, quitting, it will work one of these times.` and it did. Almost 11 years and not even a puff except for what I have to go through to get into a store or a building sometimes.
It is not an easy thing to do but it can be done.
Dena

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I can't smoke in my office - so that's a good thing. When I first started working here we could smoke in our offices....so glad that changed (it sure cut down on my smoking).

My triggers are - pepsi, food, computer, phone and car....any of those things make me immediately want to light up. So I've cut down on the pepsi and food, try to not sit at my computer too long, don't like the phone anyway and the car - I didn't go anywhere this past week-end because of that. This morning, coming to work, didn't bother me.

This is day 3 :)

shannonsaulter
January 7th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I am actually headed to the Dr. Today for some help...

Gayle8675309
January 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I quit 15 years ago. I got hypnotized and it really helped. I did gain a lot of weight (60 pounds) and am still struggling to get back to my pre-quitting weight. :(

One thing I did was that I saved all the money I would have spent on cigarettes and spent that money all on myself. I did that for 6 months. I got a lot of nice jewelry in that 6 months! :)

You can do this, just one minute, one hour, one day and soon one month then year at a time.

Good luck!

Gayle

Madeforyouinma11
January 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
This is Day 1 for hubby and me. We are using the patch. We have tried to quit many times but I have never used the patch. I've heard many success stories so I'm hoping him and I will be too.
I have plenty of good snacks available to munch on. I will just stay busy cleaning and sewing.
Lots of deep breathing....that is one of the things you are supposed to do that will help because now you are not inhaling from smoking.
Oh we'll, good luck to all who are trying. I only know of Shirley, Shannon and myself...is there anyone else trying to quit?

Flannel
January 7th, 2013, 04:20 PM
As was said, it's embarrassing to think of how many times I've quit and returned to smoking. Once I'm done with the pack I'm working on I will quit. If I was smart I would just through them away, but I so hate to waste anything.

Good luck to Shannon, Shirley and Cil.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
This is Day 1 for hubby and me. We are using the patch. We have tried to quit many times but I have never used the patch. I've heard many success stories so I'm hoping him and I will be too.
I have plenty of good snacks available to munch on. I will just stay busy cleaning and sewing.
Lots of deep breathing....that is one of the things you are supposed to do that will help because now you are not inhaling from smoking.
Oh we'll, good luck to all who are trying. I only know of Shirley, Shannon and myself...is there anyone else trying to quit?

Yeah, it's tough! I'm just about ready to pass out from all the deep breathing....well at least I can still take a deep breath.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
As was said, it's embarrassing to think of how many times I've quit and returned to smoking. Once I'm done with the pack I'm working on I will quit. If I was smart I would just through them away, but I so hate to waste anything.

I didn't throw my last ones away because I would have just kept telling myself that I should not have thrown them away....because I might need them. I smoked them all up and then went to bed and got up and put a patch on.

Momofmonsters5
January 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM
My husband has vowed to quit. Good luck to all of you!! I don't mess with him about smoking he's active duty army and his job is stressful. Ill be proud of him if he can quit but understand if he can't.

shannonsaulter
January 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM
UGHHHH!!!!! I got the prescription to try that CVhantrix stuff and its over $200...Like I just have that laying around...guess the script will sit for a bit..I will finish my pack I have then turn to the gum and hope my family doesnt kick me out when I turn into a monster...
How disheartening..they push for people to quit but charge an out rageous price..would take me 3 months of cig money to have enough for the script..oh well monster I shall be...lol
On a brighter note did get all my pysical done brand new Dr. and was I shocked when a young man walked in he just finished his residency in 2011....But he was so nice...

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 08:45 PM
DH & I both tried the Chantix...made me about halfa$$ crazy but it might work for you. A lady at work said it helped her quit and didn't affect her. There is also Wellbutrin, I have taken that before with no problem. This time I'm trying the patches.

HdWench
January 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Ohh the times I've tried to quit, when we got married over 20+ years ago! After a week someone HAD to start smoking or we'd have gotten divorced -- Glad my husband quit lmao!!

I was on Wellbutrin, but became allergic after 3 months -- It help "slow" smoking down, but not quit. Chantix messes with your brain chemicals like being on anti-depressents, only it can cause more serious side effects -- DO take care if you try Chantix!! Have read some good reviews from LONG time smokers, then alot of ones that it messed with them too much. I can't take it :-(

Walking, staying OFF the computer where we just light up one after another... Give your energy into house cleaning ! It will smell better and that motivated everyone to try and keep it smelling fresher.

All my VERY Best thoughts as you QUIT -- don't try... just Quit

When it's my time, I will too again

Madeforyouinma11
January 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's tough! I'm just about ready to pass out from all the deep breathing....well at least I can still take a deep breath.
I know what you mean. The patch does seem to be helping me. I have found myself eating more today than I usually do...trying to keep it healthy...lol

Madeforyouinma11
January 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM

Hubby and I kept smoking til bedtime....4:30 this morning...and then took what we had left and crushed them up and threw them away...got up today and put a patch on...fingers crossed.

Madeforyouinma11
January 7th, 2013, 09:28 PM
UGHHHH!!!!! I got the prescription to try that CVhantrix stuff and its over $200...Like I just have that laying around...guess the script will sit for a bit..I will finish my pack I have then turn to the gum and hope my family doesnt kick me out when I turn into a monster...
How disheartening..they push for people to quit but charge an out rageous price..would take me 3 months of cig money to have enough for the script..oh well monster I shall be...lol
On a brighter note did get all my pysical done brand new Dr. and was I shocked when a young man walked in he just finished his residency in 2011....But he was so nice...

I really didn't like the side affects that I read for the Chantix...and the $$$$ is crazy! Why don't you try the patch? We bought the nicodermCQ for $40 for a two week supply, but they have store brands too that are a little cheaper. I'm fining that it is really helping me. I don't know if it's psychological or not but whatever works....I really need to do it this time.
Don't get depressed..and if you are, DON'T fill that prescription...if you can, try the patch but don't use the niccorette gum while on the patch.