PDA

View Full Version : My hubby, guns, DVD's and my quilt.....

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
OMG...what a day!

I downloaded and recorded some of Jenny's tuts to DVD's, so I can play them on my TV. I was in my sewing room checking out the DVD and in came DH....asked me to pause the DVD.....he just wanted to tell me about the possible gun ban and people buying guns - took 15 minutes of my DVD time to tell me that. Well here are a couple of pics that I took of the TV (terrible pics LOL). I can't believe he asked me to pause Jenny so he could talk!

36052 36053

Now....I'm thinking about doing the X's and O's for my quilt but I'm open to suggestions. Here is what I have, so far: 3 charm packs, 1 jelly roll, 1 yd. of yellow yardage and 2 yds. of purple yardage. I can go to the LQS and see if she has more of the yardage, if I need it. The yardage is a part of the Enchanted Garden fabric line.

EnumclawGramma
January 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I love the X's and O's pattern Shirley. Your fabric selection is wonderful! I have NO suggestions, I just wanna sit back and admire as this one gets created!

Roxanne
January 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Did you have to download a program to your computer to be able to save the youtube videos to DVD? I would like to do this but need to know what programs I need.

auntiemern
January 6th, 2013, 04:00 PM
What a great idea :)

Sandy Navas
January 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Shirley, have you ever noticed that DHs only want to talk to you when you are in the middle of something and truly need to concentrate? So you stop, give them your undivided attention. Then when you need to discuss something with them it is obvious that they have totally tuned you out.

Love your fabric for the X's & O's quilt.

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Did you have to download a program to your computer to be able to save the youtube videos to DVD? I would like to do this but need to know what programs I need.

Kizzie (one of the forum members) has a couple of posts on how to do this:

To save the video:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?5241-Save-your-favourite-videos-from-Youtube-to-your-own-computer-forever!

To record the DVD:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?5241-Save-your-favourite-videos-from-Youtube-to-your-own-computer-forever!

Hope this helps.

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Shirley, have you ever noticed that DHs only want to talk to you when you are in the middle of something and truly need to concentrate? So you stop, give them your undivided attention. Then when you need to discuss something with them it is obvious that they have totally tuned you out.

Oh I know....I can load and shoot a gun (even hit a target). Him talking to me about guns is like me talking to him about squaring up quilt blocks.

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I just watched the Irish Chain video and now I want an Irish Chain. I guess I won't know what I'm making until I start cutting the fabric LOL

K. McEuen
January 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Ha, men and their guns. It's pretty funny. When I went to buy my gun (yes, I am licensed to carry, although I don't normally bother) I walked into the gun shop ... I was the only woman there. There were probably 20 or more men inside. I was being helped by a gruff looking grandfatherly type (retired sheriff's deputy I found out) who would almost growl under his breath when any of the male customers would get too close. A lot of them tried to see what I was buying. After about the 4th one wandered over and got chased off, I was giggling. My helper explained that a woman that was in a gun store alone buying something for herself was like a piece of raw meat thrown into a group of starving lions! I know that the guy in front of me and in back of me in the check out line were thrilled to talk guns with me. I half expected them to follow me to my car just so they could talk more.

I think if you are single and looking for a guy, a gun store might be an excellent place to shop!

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Ha, men and their guns. It's pretty funny. When I went to buy my gun (yes, I am licensed to carry, although I don't normally bother) I walked into the gun shop ... I was the only woman there. There were probably 20 or more men inside. I was being helped by a gruff looking grandfatherly type (retired sheriff's deputy I found out) who would almost growl under his breath when any of the male customers would get too close. A lot of them tried to see what I was buying. After about the 4th one wandered over and got chased off, I was giggling. My helper explained that a woman that was in a gun store alone buying something for herself was like a piece of raw meat thrown into a group of starving lions! I know that the guy in front of me and in back of me in the check out line were thrilled to talk guns with me. I half expected them to follow me to my car just so they could talk more.

I think if you are single and looking for a guy, a gun store might be an excellent place to shop!

LOL...I'm licensed to carry a gun too but that doesn't mean I want DH yapping at me all the time about guns. I carry one and I know how to load, unload and shoot (and small things like clear a jam, break it down and clean it). When I took my class, I talked one of my friends into taking it with me...so glad I did because we were the only 2 women in the class.

Yeah all those that want to meet a man....hang around a gun shop.

aliaslaceygreen
January 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Yesterday, I woke up, and decided it was a bad idea, and climbed back into my dark warm cocoon for another 20 minutes of sleep before getting up. DH thought THAT was an ideal time to talk to me about any number of inconsequential (and not recalled) items!
MEN.

Monique
January 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM
That's cool all you gun-toting mammas!

buckeyequilter
January 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Here is the quilt I decided on. I wanted to "showcase" the fabric....didn't want it cut up in little squares. I'm going to put a small yellow border and a larger purple border and yellow binding. The back will either be purple or yellow.

36078 36079

K. McEuen
January 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I like that. Very spring looking. I'm so over winter already ...

MRoy
January 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
That's going to be really pretty and spring-y....like Karen said

MissieP
January 6th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Great job on your quilt choice.. tumbler quilts are soo pretty.. annd. great job to all the gun owners here too.. i was laughing reading this thread. I am a gun enthusiast myself so makes me smile to see other quilters and shooters.. great combo!

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Great job on your quilt choice.. tumbler quilts are soo pretty.. annd. great job to all the gun owners here too.. i was laughing reading this thread. I am a gun enthusiast myself so makes me smile to see other quilters and shooters.. great combo!

Yeah I think so too...if I make a quilt and hate it, I can use it for target practice. :)

Roxanne
January 7th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I did it! I now have a whole DVD of Jenny's tutorials. Yay!!

New York Sue
January 7th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Guns just terrify me! I don't know why. My father hunted, and I grew up eating venison. My Dad always locked up his rifles, there were never any issues with guns growing up, and for the life of me, I don't know how the origin of my phobia began. Might as well put a snake in front of me...
I find it a little fascinating that some of you carry guns. (But respect your right to do so, btw...)
Quilters with guns! Who knew?
Hey, if there's ever a terrorist attack at JoAnns, maybe someone has my back!

K. McEuen
January 7th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Guns just terrify me! I don't know why.

You know, I pretty much felt the same way before I took my class. I didn't know anything about guns, didn't want to be around them (more for self preservation than anything. I'm the one that would shoot myself in the foot with my luck), just had no interest in them. I took the class with a friend, whose husband (a retired cop) had died from cancer. He firmly believed that everyone should be licensed so the bad guys didn't win. My teacher was a retired homicide detective and he made the class interesting to me. Everyone else taking the class with us had been shooting for years. I was the only one with no experience. I learned to respect rather than fear guns and I really had a lot of fun during the 8 hours we spent out on the range. I missed two shots on my test. You are supposed to hit "center mass" and all but 2 did. They were laughing about my 2 strays. One went in the neck of the target and the other went right where the femoral artery would be. The two cops helping him said I would have stopped the guy anyway.

CrazyMtnLady
January 7th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Shirley.. the fabric is beautiful.
I know what you mean about the DH talking guns. Mine sets up tables at gun shows and deals in Black Powder guns. All I hear every day is guns. I can load, shoot and clean a gun also. And I don't go to far from the house without a gun. To many wild critters! My front room is a total mess because it is full of gun show tubs! I can't have company...there is no place to sit. I can't play my piano because it is covered with guns stuff. The gun safe takes up a big area in the bedroom and the rack on the wall holds long guns. So I do understand.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM
He's IM'ing me at work now and still talking about guns and ammo *banging head on desk*

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
OMG Shirley, I am sitting here lmao. My hubby is also a gun enthusiast and I am just ok with guns. Kinda more leave it than take it. Every once in a while, like last week, he will buy a new gun and I get a loooong story about this gun and why it is diff than the other gun and blah blah blah. Had to listen all the way from Mansfield to Canton on the ride home, a little over an hour. I don't even think he notices my eyes glaze over. LOL

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Guns just terrify me! I don't know why. My father hunted, and I grew up eating venison. My Dad always locked up his rifles, there were never any issues with guns growing up, and for the life of me, I don't know how the origin of my phobia began. Might as well put a snake in front of me...
I find it a little fascinating that some of you carry guns. (But respect your right to do so, btw...)
Quilters with guns! Who knew?
Hey, if there's ever a terrorist attack at JoAnns, maybe someone has my back!

They've never really terrified me because my dad had guns. And we were taught what we needed to know about them. My ex and I never had any guns.

DH has always had guns and used to hunt but he doesn't hunt anymore. He does a lot of target shooting and talking *lol* He got his CCW when they first started it in Ohio. I waited a few years and he kept telling me I should really get mine...so I did. Now having my gun in the car is like taking my cell phone with me. It's not a safe world out there anymore - even in the smallest of towns. I live 15 miles from work and if I break down I want to know that I might be able to protect myself, should the need arise.

Oh and I only go to JoAnn's occasionally because our local one is in a mall - gun free zone.

MissieP
January 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Shirley your crackin me up.. so funny. I feel your pain.. hubby talks about it every day too will all this gun ban drama going on they must be stressing out .. seriously how many AR15's does one family need LOL.

bhaggerty
January 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I am licensed too! We keep everything locked in a safe.
right now AR 15's are worth their weight in gold, so the more the better.
i don't carry, but I want the right to do so.
.quOTE=MissieP;219460]Shirley your crackin me up.. so funny. I feel your pain.. hubby talks about it every day too will all this gun ban drama going on they must be stressing out .. seriously how many AR15's does one family need LOL.[/QUOTE]

GrammaBabs
January 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Perfect choice for the fabric... i think..
As for Dh"s.... would not trade mine for the world, but just last weekend.. we were driving home (remember we are both retired , he works 2X a week cause NO ONE else has bothered to learn what he does, so he's "valuable")... soooooooooo... i pointed out.. or he did, don't remember what the heck it was,,, but it was the "que" for him to start... what it was, why it was, what if,,, perhaps,,, ya' know maybe, but i'll bet... on and on,,, he's a problem solver and inventionist...... but i finally said... Bill,,, your rambling!!!! You started it he said!!! LOL.... hello, i merely made an observation... didn't ask for a phillabuster...I've told him this is something he needs to work on... he's a sweetie.. but when he starts a convo,,, it does end up about " THE FIRST" whatever...
My DD is too funny... he starts.. and after about 2 minutes she says..."and your point is???"... He does have a wonderful sense of humor... God Love him... we've been togeter over 50yrs.....:)

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
OMG Shirley, I am sitting here lmao. My hubby is also a gun enthusiast and I am just ok with guns. Kinda more leave it than take it. Every once in a while, like last week, he will buy a new gun and I get a loooong story about this gun and why it is diff than the other gun and blah blah blah. Had to listen all the way from Mansfield to Canton on the ride home, a little over an hour. I don't even think he notices my eyes glaze over. LOL

Oh you're from Canton....just be careful of cops named Harless. I suppose you've heard about that or watched the video.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Shirley your crackin me up.. so funny. I feel your pain.. hubby talks about it every day too will all this gun ban drama going on they must be stressing out .. seriously how many AR15's does one family need LOL.

I honestly don't care if they ban the AR 15's but just don't take my lil ole Glock.

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM
yea I've heard of Harless, and believe it or not they are considering giving him his job back. Something about post traumatic stress or some other Bull#%$^. Still figure people who are out in that end of town at 3 or 4 in the morn are looking for 1 of 2 things. Sex or drugs and there are plenty down there. He is just crazy and his job went to his head. Don't forget Jimmy Cutts who killed his pregnant girlfriend who already had a little boy, and then dumped her up by Cuyahoga falls somewhere. He was a Canton cop too. Nice bunch we have here. i live outside city limits and am protected by the sheriff, who has about 3 or 4 cars for all of Stark Co.

New York Sue
January 7th, 2013, 10:13 PM
yea I've heard of Harless, and believe it or not they are considering giving him his job back. Something about post traumatic stress or some other Bull#%$^. Still figure people who are out in that end of town at 3 or 4 in the morn are looking for 1 of 2 things. Sex or drugs and there are plenty down there. He is just crazy and his job went to his head. Don't forget Jimmy Cutts who killed his pregnant girlfriend who already had a little boy, and then dumped her up by Cuyahoga falls somewhere. He was a Canton cop too. Nice bunch we have here. i live outside city limits and am protected by the sheriff, who has about 3 or 4 cars for all of Stark Co.

And THESE are your cops? JAYZEE. What did this Harless do? Because I have to ask... ;)

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Harless was a cop who went nuts on a guy he stopped. The guy kept trying to tell him he had a concealed carry permit, but Harless kept yelling at him and not listening. Then when he found out he had a gun in the car, he went beserk telling him he could just unload his gun in his head and not think twice and ranting at him things like that for 5 or 10 minutes, all while the dash cam was recording it. Then they found some other video that had similar situations. Even if it was ptsd he was out of line and his partner should have been disciplined too cause he just stood there,
actually the other cop was Bobby Cutts, not jimmy

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 10:43 PM

I had heard they were thinking of giving him his job back.

New York Sue
January 7th, 2013, 10:48 PM
TWO recorded tapes? This guy is a loose cannon, and not only should he lose his job, he should lose HIS ability to carry a weapon! His partner, and whoever is considering giving his job back to him, should also be investigated. And I'm not kidding!
Note to self: I will NOT let DH talk me into a visit to the Football Hall of Fame....
As a nurse, I see PTSD mentioned more and more in patient histories. The latest excuse for bad behavior.... Now don't get me wrong. I believe it to be a credible diagnoses, in certain settings. But if you witnessed a hold-up at a gas station, and are now trying to seek permanent disability at age 24, I have a problem with that.
If I can still work after seeing all the things I've seen in a 28 years of nursing...I can't even go there.

After Shirley posted her Glock bit, I have the Aerosmith song 'Janie's Got a Gun' running through my head, only it's 'Shirley's Got a Gun"....lol

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM
And THESE are your cops? JAYZEE. What did this Harless do? Because I have to ask... ;)

Here's the dash cam video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkHQuyEQze4

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
and article about Bobby Cutts
www.murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cutts-bobby-lee.htm

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM
and article about Bobby Cutts
www.murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cutts-bobby-lee.htm (http://www.murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cutts-bobby-lee.htm)

Once I started reading the article...then I remembered it.

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 11:23 PM
where in Ohio are you Shirley

New York Sue
January 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Shirley, I am SO angry right now! How can your city government support this young man? He has NO bussiness in LE, nor a right to carry a gun after such a display! This is NOT rational behavior. Just pathetic. And his partner, for not interceding? Equally pathetic. Just a real sad commentary of our country.
I'm glad I don't carry, or care to carry. It obviously comes with a HUGE responsibility.
It all comes down to the same thing really. Those that abuse their privledges and rights, ultimately make it harder on everyone else that are responsible. Think about it. That ONE nut, that tainted Tylenol, and now everything has to be double-sealed....
And jump to Columbine, Aurora and Newtown...
I'm going to my sewing room now. LA-LA-LA-LA-LA.....

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Sue, all this is in my town, not Shirleys. And the business about him getting his job back is all political. He hasn't gotten it back as of yet, and I really don't think that will happen, but you never say never.

K. McEuen
January 7th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I knew there was a reason I never liked Canton. My mom was from there and my grandma lived there on Park. Man, I hated to go there to visit every summer as a kid, although it was a lot quieter then, I'm sure.

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Yea, I am originally from Massillon, about 10 miles west. Married my dh and he was from Canton and we both worked in canton. Bought a house in Canton and quickly outgrew it, Didn't want kids in Canton city schools so moved in Jan 1980 and oldest went to Canton Local schools to kindergarten that fall. Canton has gone to H#$%% in a handbasket ever since. Canton used to be associated with the Detroit mobsters way back when, so I guess some things never change.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 11:51 PM
where in Ohio are you Shirley

I'm from near Marion.

New York Sue
January 7th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Sue, all this is in my town, not Shirleys. And the business about him getting his job back is all political. He hasn't gotten it back as of yet, and I really don't think that will happen, but you never say never.
Sorry, Doloris. I was responding to the links Shirley provided. Anybody worth anything in politics, should be keeping themselves within a mile of this guy, and anybody involved in this fiasco...BAD cop. Very POOR judgement. 2 VIDEOS.
HELLO!?
My sympathies, Doloris.

buckeyequilter
January 7th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Shirley, I am SO angry right now! How can your city government support this young man? He has NO bussiness in LE, nor a right to carry a gun after such a display! This is NOT rational behavior. Just pathetic. And his partner, for not interceding? Equally pathetic. Just a real sad commentary of our country.
I'm glad I don't carry, or care to carry. It obviously comes with a HUGE responsibility.
It all comes down to the same thing really. Those that abuse their privledges and rights, ultimately make it harder on everyone else that are responsible. Think about it. That ONE nut, that tainted Tylenol, and now everything has to be double-sealed....
And jump to Columbine, Aurora and Newtown...
I'm going to my sewing room now. LA-LA-LA-LA-LA.....

I don't live in Canton...but that video was plastered all over the Buckeye Firearms site. Canton is a couple hours east of me.

Doloris
January 7th, 2013, 11:54 PM
ah Shirley. west and south a bit. Was just in Shelby last week at Sportsmans Den. That is where DH bought his new gun.

buckeyequilter
January 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM
ah Shirley. west and south a bit. Was just in Shelby last week at Sportsmans Den. That is where DH bought his new gun.

You're in Canton...right? I'm A and you're B.....maybe a little south...but a lot east. My DH went to Shelby yesterday...Sportsmans Den....bought bullets *lol*

Doloris
January 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
oops, guess I didnt make mine small enough when I looked up Marion and scrolled sideways. looked a little south, my dh got some 22 bullets there too that EVERYBODY was sold out of, or so he said.

buckeyequilter
January 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM
oops, guess I didnt make mine small enough when I looked up Marion and scrolled sideways. looked a little south, my dh got some 22 bullets there too that EVERYBODY was sold out of, or so he said.

I have a bunch of 22's because I do like to target shoot with the 22. DH got 45's - I guess they're getting scarce too. I think they tell us everyone is sold out of that stuff so they can have a reason to go to Bass Pro, Cabela's or Sportsmans Den. I'm going to tell him everyone here is sold out of fabric and I need to go to MSQC.

Doloris
January 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
sounds like a plan to me, as we drove probably 150 round trip to get his gun. Does your dh reload anything. Mine does and he now has my son in Al doing the same. Always hear them talking on the phone about this or that die and what powder to use and blah blah blah.

buckeyequilter
January 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
sounds like a plan to me, as we drove probably 150 round trip to get his gun. Does your dh reload anything. Mine does and he now has my son in Al doing the same. Always hear them talking on the phone about this or that die and what powder to use and blah blah blah.

Yes...of course Sportsmans didn't have the reloading stuff he wanted so now he's talking Cabela's.

Doloris
January 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
does he order online? mine uses Midway a lot, but right now he complains that everything is out of stock. He knows some kind of ban is coming and everyone is panicking that they wont get what they think they NEED. There will be something banned, but this panic will die down too. also another excuse for the stores to raise prices to crazy levels right now. I would complain that I NEED more fabric or something, but I dont know where I would put it LOL. He wants to get new carpet in the bedrooms (its only 33 yrs old) so that means I will have to completely empty my sewing room. I'm in a cold sweat as I type. Will be a good excuse to purge but HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPP. I'm sewing as fast as I can to use up anything to not have to move it.

Suzyq
January 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Wow, such a variety to read on this thread.. Guns to quilting!!?? Here we in Canada as you know have totally different views and restrictions on guns. What a shock for hubby and I when while traveling in the US which we do often, to,see guns out in the open in Walmart of all places! Our border guArds were only issued handguns a few years ago... I remember at work, coworkers teasing me when this came into,effect, that me being blind in one eye would probably have to get the guy to stand still while I shoot... Was all in fun of course... Don't love guns as they're dangerous in the wrong hands, quilting is much safer til I jab a needle in my thumb!