PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, Veterans Day

Blondie
November 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/4th015.jpg

Thanking all Vets. Past, present, future. All the Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters. Thanking all our Allies, past, present, future.

God Bless them all. Be sure and thank a Vet.

Trish, Thank Odie for me.

Others here that I don't know who have family in the military. Thank them for me.

God Bless America.

Dragonfly
November 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
For Australia this is Remembrance Day and this is our pledge to those brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their county:

"They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

Lest we forget.

For those past, present and future my thanks, gratitude and prayers.

NM Lady
November 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Blondie and Dragonfly.....well said. I would like to thank all veterans and those who are serving today and those who will serve in the future.

Everyone have a blessed day.

sally
November 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
In Canada we also call it Remembrance Day. I am very honored to be marching today in honor of All the men and women past and present who have or are fighting to keep our countries free.:icon_wave:

In Flanders Fields by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

janluna
November 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
These words are beautiful and thank you for them. We thank all veterans for their service to this nation, we thank all those serving now, and we thank all those who will serve.
We thank all those who have gone before us to stand with the Lord in His Army.
Trish, thank Odie for me as well. And thank you for serving your country both as a member of the armed services and as a Mother of a fine soldier. Tell him we pray for him now and will pray for him as he continues to serve our country. Hug, Jan

Laura108
November 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Happy Honoring Vet's Today.
What a beautiful way to honor them...you girls are incredible.
Trish you tell Odie we are so very proud of him. :)
Thank you all for thinking of me...Sally your poem brought me to tears.
I am better now...and I so appreciate having you girls and Jan. I love you Jan :)
I think I owe you an explanation so here goes and I will keep it brief...we are quilting sisters and friends and with the holidays coming we need to sew sew sew .....I let life knock me down a bit...The doctor here thought I had Lupus...turns out he is right. They called about 8:30 this morning ...I still cant get in to see them ..now over the disability papers from new york long story there and not worth mentioning but they changed meds and added some others.
Jans been researching it for me....and I truly appreciate her. I am one of those who gets very quiet when life goes crazy.
I truly dont know how to handle this...Lupus is a pretty ugly word ...What I do know is ...I need to find a way to get back up and stay up...so today Im packing myself a lunch and hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway armed with a camera..and I am going to find the beauty in life... doesn't mean I wont stop and cuss out a tree every now and then....:)
I am so thankful for all of you....just bear with me I will get thru this....and I will concentrate more on finishing projects....because the one thing I do know is a quilt can hug a heart....and I plan on leaving a whole lot of hugs in this world.....
Thank you again for the words of encouragement...
Have a blessed day...
Hugs and Love.
Laura

Sewbee
November 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
http://mail.aol.com/32843-111/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.27839146&folder=Inbox&partId=9

THE FINAL
INSPECTION

The Soldier stood and faced God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass..

'Step forward now,Soldier ,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear..

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the Soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you Soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown~

http://mail.aol.com/32843-111/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.27839146&folder=Inbox&partId=10

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..

It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY!

Blondie
November 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Oooh, now I am just all wet with tears. Thank you dear sisters - from all over this world - for sharing your remembrances. I am just home from work a bit ago. Making potato soup and homemade snowflake rolls to carry down to the folks for dinner. My Dad is a WWll vet - landed on the beaches of Normandy so many years ago - still not dry behind the ears. I always believed when I was a little girl that the war was won because of my Daddy. hehehe. He's always been my hero. I am so thankful for the moral fortitude it took for that generation to stand up for those who were overwhelmed by evil.

Thank you sisters in Canada and Downunder for your men who still stand with us for in doing what is right, not convenient.

How I pray each day for those in our armed forces today, and their familie ~to be cheered on for their sacrifices, large and small.

Okie dokie, off to finish dinner and then down the hill I go. I'll give Daddy another thank you from y'all.

Dragonfly
November 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm sure many of us have family who have served at some point, my grandfather served in both world wars, of his children six of his older sons and two daughters served in WWII, three of his younger sons served in the Vietnam war. My father, God bless him, tried to enlist at the age of 14 and they would have taken him barring he had a perforated ear drum, the Lord did not intend for him to serve in the war.

My father in law, served in the Islands against the Japanese, I pray God will let his soul rest from his memories, he does not speak of the time often but it was awful for all concerned.

My son spent 18 months trying to be accepted for military service but had suffered juvenile arthritis in his knees, so after many months of medical assessments and tests, sadly he was refused, he was devastated. His best friend was accepted and now serves in Afghanistan, was actually a part of the group where two Aussies died just recently, it's very hard on Michael waiting for news of his friend, not being able to be there with him.

These young men and women truly are special.

janluna
November 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I agree. We are truly blest in this country. And so many take it for granted. They don't realize we could still be under English rule if not worse as so many came to take this land away from us. I'm glad we are friends with England because their people just saved us yet again from an attack. I thank them. But our young men and women have fought so hard not only for our freedom but for others as well. France, Italy, and now Iraq and Afghanistan. Even when they don't want us we fight to give them democracy. We should be proud of our men and women that served in all the wars. My girlfriends Mom flew planes in ww II. They served as nurses in all the wars. I have a friend who is a major in the reserves. I haven't talked to her in a while but it wouldn't surprise me to find she is in Afghanistan or Iraq. She is a nurse I worked with. Our women vets are even more forgotten than our men. Sorry off on a rant.
I'm just with all of you, they deserve more respect than they get, not only from us but from our government. enough said. Hugs, Jan

quiltingtrish
November 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thank you from me, my DH, and my son! It's nice to hear the thanks.
And prayers for other Veterans that have served, are serving, or are not with us today. My dad served in WWII in a tank destroyer. Unfortunately, the Germans destroyed his destroyer, but fortunately I am here today because he made it home. My grandfather served in the Army and said the best job was volunteering
to peel potatoes cause you were most likely not going to get shot at!

We had a 2 hour Veterans Day Assembly at school today. They say that very few schools in PA do that. It was very nice with speakers, the 3 choirs, and musical videos. I think the kids were impressed.

Keep the flags flying! Our is out there 24/7 and is lit up at night.

Hugs,

janluna
November 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM
We have one up too, with a light on it. We have changed flags every year since 2001. They get ripped up so bad from the wind we get out here. We are all open to fields with no wind buffers. We do have fir trees in front of the house but our flag is on the side of the house and it makes a difference. It is so worth the money though. My son helps me take the flag down we fold it right and he takes it to the american legion to be burned. We do that together every year as his gets ripped up too. It helps me remember our soldiers and what they have fought to keep for this country. Hugs, Jan