PDA

View Full Version : Gifting a Quilt

RockyMountainHorseMama
November 11th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Question: When you give a quilt as a gift, do you wash it first since it's completed or do you let the recipient wash it, in case they are allergic to your soap, water, etc.?

Thank you so much for your help :icon_wave:

toggpine
November 11th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I wash it first to make sure nothing comes apart or gets wonky. If it makes it through my wash cycle, then I can reassure them that they can safely wash it with the same method using their own soap and water.

I am a "pre-washer" so if I run out of time to launder it, I at least know the fabrics will make it through the wash fine.

Angie from Indiana
November 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I wash it because I want to be sure everything holds together. Because I don't prewash my fabrics, I want to be sure nothing has bled and I just love the look and feel of a quilt after the first wash and I don't want to miss that fun!

ginampls
November 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
great question i have pondered this one myself...

janluna
November 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Don't forget the color catchers in the wash cycle. They sure do work. Jan

RockyMountainHorseMama
November 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you so much, Ladies! I too love the feel of a freshly washed quilt! It seems that all of the seams relax and the quilt looks softer and of course can't beat that freshly laundered fragrance *sigh*

I used to pre-wash all my fabs but they fray too much and I have to starch a lot to work with it for piecing (listen to me, sounds like I've grown up and can sew/quilt or something!:lol:) .

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it!

quiltnut
November 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I always wash any quilt i give as a gift too! I don't always pre wash fabrics but i do pre test reds,navy,blacks ,by wetting a small corner of cloth, and gently rub it to see if colour transfers or not,those ones i will wash prior to sewing together.
If you have a large amount of fabric and don't want freying,serge the edges together[narrow ends only] or if you don't own a serger pin the edges together rolling in first a little and launder. :)

RockyMountainHorseMama
November 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I always wash any quilt i give as a gift too! I don't always pre wash fabrics but i do pre test reds,navy,blacks ,by wetting a small corner of cloth, and gently rub it to see if colour transfers or not,those ones i will wash prior to sewing together.
If you have a large amount of fabric and don't want freying,serge the edges together[narrow ends only] or if you don't own a serger pin the edges together rolling in first a little and launder. :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you SEW MUCH you lil Quiltnut! Those are some of the best helpful hints wow! I just LOVE this board, I learn sew much all the time :D

Mams1017
December 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
What ia a color catcher?

shell.scraps
December 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
What ia a color catcher?

it looks like a dryer sheet, but it's designed to suck up the colors that bleed rather than letting them get into the lighter fabrics and stain them.

jimmysid26
December 5th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I will say that you should first wash it and check that is there any type of damage or roughness accured on the stuff of quilt. If yes then you should choose the other one having high quality stuff. Because this type of stuff can degrade your impression on recipient.

Blondie
December 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I always wash for all the reasons above. I have to add that I also adore the feel of a freshly laundered quilt.

DCM
December 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM
If you're worried about the recipient having allergies keep a small bottle of scent/dye free Tide and Downy on hand -- I am very allergic to scents and use only these products on all laundry.

lilmouse
December 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
the color catcher that I use is made by shout...the box always has a coupon on the inside of it so it saves you a little....when I make Quilts for Kids; one of the requirements is you wash and dry it before shipping and I use a free and clear detergent and a baking soda scented dryer sheet to prevent allergic reactions...this does help and it makes sure everything is sewn together nice and tight and will stand up to wear and tear......hope this helps someone!

tortugaquilter
December 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I wash mine to make sure it stays together, and because it makes it looked "quilted." I have not used Color Catchers before but I bought some at Target the other night so I will have them next time. If you use a "free" or "sensitive skin" detergent you should not have a problem.