PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Moda charm packs.

Nanazoomzoom
January 3rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Am I the only person who has trouble with charm packs? Two out of 5 Gypsy Girl packs had some smaller than normal squares, squares cut in half. This also happened with the California Girl line. I order extra backing material in case there are such problems but the reason I like the charm packs is for the variety, which you lose some of in these situations. I know it's not the fault of MSQC but I wish someone would call Moda on it. Love, love, love everything else about you...you're the best. Thanks for listening.

MartinaG
January 3rd, 2013, 03:51 PM
If you let MSQC know they will pass it on to the manufacturer/supplier.

I had trouble with a jelly roll being cut oversized which caused me some grief with the strips that I cut to size from my stash. It is disappointing when the precuts don't meet expectation.

Martina

wlrquilts
January 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
I haven't had a problem with mora charms but recently bot a timeless treasure batik charm pack where three of the squares looked more like a parallelogram then a square.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 3rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
I've had some issues with Moda precuts, one layer cake square had a big hole in it. And I have gotten half squares in some charm packs.

Momofmonsters5
January 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Hope you get that fixed! I haven't encountered a problem and I buy a lot of precuts! I hope moda is great about it...email them!

Sandy Navas
January 3rd, 2013, 05:59 PM
That, unfortunately, is what happens when companies reduce costs by using robots (machines) instead of thinking human beings . . .

If you have ever done quality control work you will find that not every unit can be personally inspected. Inspections are usually random and if the majority of the packages have no flaw . . . that's just the way it is.

BeckyMSQC
January 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Gosh Guys, I am sorry to hear all these issues with pre-cuts. I know sometimes there are some that are cut wrong but when that happens there is usually an extra one already in the pack. If you have problems PLEASE let us know.

Quilting Queen
January 3rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
I have had some problems too. Didn't notice it till I tried to cut some smaller and realized they were not cut right.

Bubby
January 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I have had a few charm squares that were odd or half missing. This hasn't happened too often. I would contact Moda as well as M*.

EnumclawGramma
January 3rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
I was shorted a charm square once, and almost lost my mind counting and recounting. Thought for sure it was me. But nope. After crawling around on the floor looking for it, double checking the already made quilt blocks and counting again for the 20th time making sure none were stuck together I discovered that indeed, it was a Moda Miscount.

Nanazoomzoom
January 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks to all. I just thought I was going a bit crazy! The new Moda line, Gypsy Girl, is so cute. Even with a few missing or messed up charm squares I am having a lot of fun with it. Happy quilting.

Winniesfriend
January 3rd, 2013, 06:52 PM
I bought 4 of the same line as turner overs thinking that they would all be the same size ... no such luck so I am now in the process of trimming them all to the same size, very frustrating, dont think I will buy turn overs again, I didnt tell M*QC, as I figured it was not there fault, maybe I should have.

madampolo
January 3rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
What I don't like is the strips that are pinked. I know why they do it, and I know what you are to do to sew them, but I find that overall they are not as wide as strips that are not pinked. If you sew one pinked to a straight cut, you can line it up better than if you are sewing two pinked together. It is hard to follow the tips, and it comes up short. I have had some issues with the pre-cuts with Timeless Treasure layer cakes not being full size, but overall, not much wrong with my pre-cuts.

Musical_Starling
January 3rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
I didn't have any issues with the two moda charm packs I bought, but I wonder about the pinked edges. How do we measure those? Do you measure from tip to tip? Or from valley to valley? Somewhere in the middle? I shagged up trying to cut yardage to match these squares because of the pinked edges. I cut 5" squares and then sewed them in a strip, but when I tried to add that strip to the strip of precut charms, NONE of the seams matched up aside from the first one. And the last one was off by so much I just scrapped the whole idea!

dwil23
January 3rd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Wow, guess I better take all my precuts apart and check them out since it may be a while before I use them all. I would be very unhappy to not have enough because of bad pieces when I am so careful to make sure I have what I need while still available.

joyrocks
January 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
I've gotten half squares from Moda & Connecting Threads before.

jingleme
January 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I buy lots of precuts from Moda & other companies too, & I always check them b4 starting any project because I've received misscuts & miss- counts several times. If I buy any that I LOVE, I always get 2 (or more :0...lol) just to make sure I have enough
I like the Gypsy Girl too!

jennyann
January 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I have found that I cannot mix the brands of precut charms. I bought the monochrome pack and a white pack from Kaufman and they didn't match up. One brand was 5 inches from the peak the other on was 5 inches from the valley. I ended up cutting the white from yardage to get the quilt finished.

toggpine
January 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Even the pre-cuts that are cut by hand are not all that great.
The LQS made some and they were off. I had wows in the sides of the squares to the point I barely had 1/8" seam allowances in some places. Not the best way to get me to buy items from your store. You would think that quilters would be more contentious than a robot.
I check all of the pre-cuts before I buy them or as soon as they arrive in the mail. The jelly rolls at least get flaps counted before I buy them.

New York Sue
January 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I read this thread the other night, and thought 'mmm, never had a problem with Moda'...
Until today that is! One 'Harvest Moon' square had a couple of slight wrinkles in it, and, sure enough, after pressing was a tad off.
That's when the charm pack template came in handy! From here on out, I'm going to count them, too, before I start.

Madeforyouinma11
January 9th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I didn't have any issues with the two moda charm packs I bought, but I wonder about the pinked edges. How do we measure those? Do you measure from tip to tip? Or from valley to valley? Somewhere in the middle? I shagged up trying to cut yardage to match these squares because of the pinked edges. I cut 5" squares and then sewed them in a strip, but when I tried to add that strip to the strip of precut charms, NONE of the seams matched up aside from the first one. And the last one was off by so much I just scrapped the whole idea!

Jenny had answered that in one of her tutorials one time. I think she said she does tip to tip but as long as you did the same throughout your project it didn't really matter.

mommadeb
January 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Ive had problems with Moda charm packs on two occasions. They were not cut evenly and then when I sewed them for a star pattern, they were off. Another one I was just chain piecing and they were uneven.

Denis
January 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I may be too late in this conversation but I'll give it a whirl. I've worked in textiles factories in my previous life, well ok, from 2005 to 2009. One plant made bullet proof vests and the other bombsuits. We laid out our fabrics (kevlar, cordura, nomex, etc...) by hand. I'll assume the half squares in the charms packs are splices where one bolt ran out and the new one was inserted to cover the splice. At work we would mark this area on the pattern then once the fabric was cut, we would manually pick these splices out. I'm thinking Moda is failing to do this on occasion. How many pieces did you have left once you removed the half square? If done right you should have the correct amount; the half square should be a bonus...well, a partial one as it is only half a square. If you're short a square, then this issue should be addressed to Moda and other manufacturers who make this packets. Telling your shop owner may not go far. They'll contact their sales rep and it may stop there. The rep won't go back to headquarter with these concerns. Your best bet is to contact Moda and others as the consumer and file a complaint regarding their quality.

The reason I say the rep won't do much is many of these don't really care about their job or quilting and have never sewn a seam in their lives. I know some reps in my area. One guy is only doing this for the little bit of money he gets but it is a steady income. They are hired to push and sell fabric. He'd rather be playing and coaching hockey...true story.

HdWench
January 12th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I LOVE pre-cuts cuz I can't cut worth a dang. Even when I've bought 2 different mfs' and noticed one Moda was smaller or bigger than the Benertic (spelling)? My quilting is not that exacting hahaha I just stick them together, do my best and a hot steamy iron goes along way to making them "look" right. I don't figure I'll ever be in a quilt show LOL LOL and anyone cutting them is doing a better job than me for sure.

;-Debbie the inadequate rotary cutter

stillquilting
August 12th, 2013, 11:13 PM
yes. I have noticed this also. One pack had a short cut piece and then the same fabric in the correct size right behind it.