PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays can be fun she said

Blondie
January 3rd, 2013, 07:06 AM

Happy Thursday, Folksies!

Today is my Monday, hubs is back at work (why didn't they give the schools the rest of the week off, geesh), so here I sit, sipping on the morning coffee, Gracie on my lap nudging my hands to stop computering and love on her, listening to the man gather all the small baskets to go in the big trash can. Now that the holidays are over, we may get back into a routine. That is until our area gets a big snow, which I will promptly send somewhere else.
We got spoiled last year with a mild winter and this one, while cold and damp has been snow-less for us. The mountain areas have had some, good for ski business, yay for them. For me, I know we get our worst weather of the season in February generally. In 2010, we had so much snow! It started before Thanksgiving and once it started in earnest, Dec 7, we had snow on the ground until the end of March. It was that cold! Please, not that much again until I don't have to get out in it or shovel it, or . . . I reckon it would be different if I lived somewhere like many of y'all who have bucket loads of it every year. You're prepared for it, have equipment for it, etc. "Round here, everyone runs to the store for bread, milk, and eggs and acts pretty silly. So, no snow unless I don't have to get out in it. LOL.
Yesterday we had some leftover from New Year by the way of minced bar-b-q. Since I did all the cooking on New Years Day, I let Sis have the honors yesterday. Her cole slaw was outta site as was her sauce for the pig. I asked her if she wrote down how she did it, and once again, I realized that we are twins separated by 6 years. Cat rolled her eyes and said, No m'am, just emptied the kitchen sink in it. That's my sis. It was sooooo good! With a bit of leftover greens and black eyes, we were really eating high off the hog.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Back to the salon, short day is fine with me. I want to sandwich a COC quilt and work on it. I sewed some blocks together yesterday and need to get it quilted.
Hugs, blessings and many prayers for all of my quilty friends here. Don't forget to SMILE. It really does look good on you and not only do you feel better, everyone around you feels better for it as well.

buckeyequilter
January 3rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Good morning....

Well I'm up.....and that's about it right now. I can't even think yet LOL. I'm with Blondie on the snow thing and I'm already tired of it for this season. It all looks the same and there's no need to keep showing us what it looks like.

Well...am going to check out the posts and get a shower.

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs :)

wendyw1
January 3rd, 2013, 07:25 AM
Morning Blondie & Shirley, wish we could have a little snow here, really hot today and set for a scorcher tomorrow. They say it's going to continue for another 10 days........ I heard on the news that a place in Western Australia topped 48 today (celsius) that equates to 118 Farenheit !!! Whouzzers !! to all my fellow aussie forum buddies, please stay cool and stay safe. Wishing all a happy day !!

Monique
January 3rd, 2013, 07:31 AM
Good morning. It is COLD here this morning. And I mean cold. -20C, -4F. Phil, Jodi and the girls left yesterday. I had to go to town but some of the stores were closed. Back home and got some cleanin done. I need to wash floors today. I will put away all the Christmas decorations too and reorganize that closet. Lots to do before I can even sew. So you can see what my day is shaping up to be. I was called to work tomorrow for a couple of hours and also on Monday from two different post offices.

Have a great day everyone.

Blondie
January 3rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Wendy, that is

toggpine
January 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm trying to get a couple of things finished up before I meet up with the girls this weekend. We plan this every year, and I really do try to have most everything lined out and packed up, but DH has been home for two weeks on Christmas Break, and that has thrown things off a bit. Not complaining as he will be getting the young one off to school and holding down the farm while I'm off for a few days.
I have to wait until later this morning to go out and run the chopsaw. It's going to be easier to trim the backer board by 1/4" than to re-sew the slip cover, and I won't be wasting some pretty fabric!
It's cold and foggy outside. The fog is freezing to everything. The roads are going to be nasty in the AM. I feel bad for the folks who have to go back to school today. Our district had the kids in school until the 21st, so they don't go back until the 7th.
I shall fill the woodstove and then head to bed for a few hours. I'll be watching the grandson today while his daddy & DH go cut down an ancient apple tree for my sister. Who knows how much I'll get done with the two kids at home. Wish me luck!

Have a good day!
Hugs, Cathy

Roxanne
January 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
9 degrees here this morning. Glad the dog hurried when I took him out. Brrr... Good day for sewing. Been busy the last two weeks. Happy that all the decorations are gone and things are getting back to normal. I have several new projects I want to work on. I really want to do a BOM quilt this year. Also, would love to make a double wedding ring but feel very initimated by all those little pieces. A friend told me she heard that there is a pattern that makes it easier. Does anyone know what she is talking about? Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

MRoy
January 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Good Morning! I'm not going to complain about the weather after hearing how hot it is for Wendy and how cold it is for Monique. It's cold here, but not that cold! I need to get back into my routine...big time! I'm a creature of habit and the longer holiday breaks from work throw me off kilter. It's time I go back to the indoor walking track after work too.
Wishing everyone a good day!

aliaslaceygreen
January 3rd, 2013, 09:21 AM
No snow here either. Sniff...I REALLY would love some snow! Of course, people ARE silly when they hear it is coming, stores are stripped bare, the school system in the county shuts down and then maybe 1/10 of an inch falls in 1/10 of the county....and the sad thing is it always seems to occur just when I have hit the "If I don't grocery shop today we won't have food of any kind" wall...and I have to add to the mayhem!

Work straight through till Monday morning, when I get Layla for Mon/Tues as her mommy is going out of town for training at a new job...
I played with some FMQ on my Batik cats UPO last night.... may reverse engineer some but other bits aren't bad...

Donna F
January 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Good morning I hope for all of you. Today is the first fibro flare for 2013. To tell the truth this flare doesn't feel any different than they did in 2012! Oh well rest and pain medication for me today as soon as I get done with all the ironing of DH's work clothes. He got a promotion a few weeks ago. We have really been praying for it because I'm not sure how long my disability is going to hold out. It seems the government has admitted they know I'm in severe pain but regretfully think I could do the work of a cashier lol. Me? On my feet all day and I can barely walk into the grocery store. Crazy people. Anyways I wish I could live all your lives! I'm especially intrigued with Blondies. I've always wanted to do hair, live close to mom, I just bent she has a fun life.
Anyhow 4 years ago today my older 42 year old brother died. Rest his soul I miss him so much along with his girls. He is dearly missed. The year 2009 was not good to my family. 6 months later after my brother died my dad passed to the day. The other 2 important men in my life and they are very much missed! I hope everyone has a great day. I am going to try to be productive somehow. ♥ Donna

Sandy Navas
January 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
9 degrees here this morning. Glad the dog hurried when I took him out. Brrr... Good day for sewing. Been busy the last two weeks. Happy that all the decorations are gone and things are getting back to normal. I have several new projects I want to work on. I really want to do a BOM quilt this year. Also, would love to make a double wedding ring but feel very initimated by all those little pieces. A friend told me she heard that there is a pattern that makes it easier. Does anyone know what she is talking about? Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Try this: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/details.html?idx=6913
http://www.simplicity.com/t-Simpli-EZ-Double-Wedding-Ring-Quilt-Block.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1DMYUtYbhs
http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/50-double-wedding-ring-quilt-designs/

Sandy Navas
January 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Thursday already? Okay - eye doctor today. Please keep your fingers crossed that my pressures are normal!!! And, here starts the big deductible for the year!! Then it is off to get my head shaved. I've needed a haircut for oh, about 6 weeks or so.

Nothing else exciting lined up. I don't think I truly slept last night, which is unusual for me.

So, till I recover or whatever . . . stay warm/cool/sane/pain-free/well/healthy/happy!

MsRabbott
January 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Good morning ladies! My work schedule has been nutso, I worked until almost midnight last night and am back on the clock at 6:30 this morning! I love having OT, but my sewing is suffering. :( I did manage to get some fabric strips ironed so I could make another small stack of folded star ornaments after dinner last night, so I'm at least keeping my creative mojo going! It's about 16 and snowing out up here, and that's been warm compared to the past few mornings! We have an appointment in town this afternoon, so I may just make a point of going to my LQS and petting some pretty fabric to inspire me for drawing this weekend. I say *pet* because I'm on a self-imposed fabric diet, nothing but borders, backing and binding until I use up some of my stash of precuts! I joined the 2013 UFO group and when I was gathering my projects I was a little embarrassed by all the Daily Deals I have squirreled away! Some of them I bought with a specific pattern in mind, then something NEW came out that I liked even better, so I bought that too! I'm sure you gals can understand! What really surprised me though, I have very little yardage that isn't a white tonal. I don't really buy fabric off the bolt, mostly because my space is pretty limited. And with the precuts you get the variety without having an enormous amount of leftovers! All of my scraps fit into one little fabric bucket that sits on my desk, but I've only been quilting for a little over a year so I'm sure that will change! Happy Thursday everyone!

Sandy Navas
January 3rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
All of my scraps fit into one little fabric bucket that sits on my desk, but I've only been quilting for a little over a year so I'm sure that will change! Happy Thursday everyone!

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. I'll try to remember to post a picture of my scraps when I get back home this afternoon.

MayinJerset
January 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Good Morning, All this talk about snow has me worried, is some coming our way? Food shopping today as I don't have anything left in the freezer for dinners. Before the Holidays I squirreled away quarts of soups, stew and some roasted turkey breast and stuffing but it's all gone now. I've been cooking since childhood and I've just about run out of ideas for meals or energy to cook them. No use complaining because we all have the same problem, now if we could only stop getting hungry we'd solve the problem, LOL!

Must really begin putting Christmas decorations and linens away and then the tree. Want to get the house back in shape so I have time to sew and also spend time and learn how to use the Kindle DH gave me. Book club meeting is next week so I could read this month's book on it.

Sandy, maybe we all should post a photo of our scraps. Mine are in different tote's labeled, repro, oriental, boys/sports, girls, etc. as well as one just named Scraps.

Take care everyone, May

EnumclawGramma
January 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Good Morning! It's another cold one here! I'm not complaining because it's NOT snow. Last year we had the big ice storm that lasted 3 days. No power! The weight of the ice on the trees caused so many limbs to break it sounded like cannon fire in the woods around me! It was an eerie sound!

I did a TON of ironing yesterday and to reward myself spent the evening in my sewing room making a tote bag using Jenny's tutorial and some charms My Secret Sister sent me (Thank you Blondie!) I LOVE it and can't wait to make another. I really wowed DH with that one! He's convinced magic happens in the sewing room! I'll post pics later.

Got lots to do today. Thursdays DH goes into the city for father/son dinner with my Joshua so I have the evening to myself. Hmmm what shall I do?

Off to wake DGD and get her headed toward the day. Short week for the kiddos so it's a little easier to motivate!

Have a wonderful day....hugs and prayers all 'round!

Lisapc
January 3rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
So it is 1 degree here in Tyngsboro, MA this morning. The Alaskan Malamutes just came in for their morning nap after going outside at 6:30 am. My son was all rosy nosed and cheeked when he got on the bus. He isn't happy about indoor recess but at least I know he won't lose his new mittens. I had a hard time finding any that fit him. I can always make him a few pairs but the snow sticks to them. Blondie, as for snow let me tell you. I love a good 1-2 foot base of snow because it actually acts as an insulator on your foundation. As soon as one rain drop or snow flake comes down from the heavens it is as if no one remembers how to drive. It drives me crazy. We have a neighbor across the street who plows for us which is night but my hubby goes out and shovels our deck and walkways. Our deck is 20 x 30 something and we have way too many walkways. He finally stopped shoveling to the compost bin after the 3 yrs it took to convince him that no matter what he said I was not walking out there all winter to compost anything. I want a small compost bin off the other side of the house for the winter. Maybe next winter.

I fell asleep on the couch last night and was up half the night so I am exhausted. I can't seem to stay awake after dinner to a normal bedtime. It is really starting cause me problems with getting anything done. My daughter was here yesterday and my 4 yr old granddaughter looks like a bum. She wanted "play clothes" instead of "bye bye" clothes which is fine because that meant that she wanted to raid my special drawer of outgrown "uncle" clothes for a sweatshirt. The problem is that her hair is full of knots. She won't let anyone but her hairdresser touch it and the hairdresser closed! She really looks horrible. My daughters growing belly on the other hand looks great! Miss Lily Anna will be coming in about a month and a half. I better get to sewing.

Have a safe and humor filled day!

tori w
January 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Good Morning to you.

Hubby went back to work yesterday and I took my youngest (11 & 14) to the movies then snuck into the local quilt shop hoping to find something still there I should have picked up last week. Wasn't there.

Today is my last day of break. Teachers report tomorrow. Although I'm not a teacher I have to be there for some meetings. :c( SO...today is MY day. I'm going to work on my mug rugs & cup sleeves. Also going to get my valentine lanyards done so I don't have to stop when I'm on a roll with other projects. Ending to day watching my K-State Wildcats at the Fiesta Bowl.

I hope everyone has a TERRIFIC THURSDAY!
Tori

CrazyMtnLady
January 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Good Morning. Nice brisk 20*F here this morning. At least when we go cut wood today I won't sweat to bad! LOL. And we HAVE to cut wood today, the wood stack is about gone.
We also need to get to town but will probably do that tomorrow. I definitely need to buy some groceries. DH wants me to make some turkey soup out of a jar of the leftover Thanksgiving turkey that I canned or a pot of Venison stew, but I need some fresh vegies first. I also need some flour to make some bread and a few other things too.

I hope to get some more sewing done today. Those quilt tops still need their borders and my little duckies need to be satin stitched on. But with cutting wood today and then splitting and hauling it into the house to stack I don't know how much I will feel like sewing. And I can't sew yet because DH is still sleeping and the sewing machine will wake him up. That is the trouble with such a small place, I can't sneeze in one room without him hearing me in another.

Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
DD Bethany and I are headed down to Boston Children's to visit with DD Faith and my two year old DGD Dakota, who was bitten by a dog earlier in the week. Dakota may need surgery tomorrow if the swelling does not go down. She is cheerful and happy except when they have to examine her. Her hand looks terrible, very swollen and red with puncture wounds top and palm. Sorry to have such awful news to tell you. Pray for Dakota, our travels and peace for our whole family. There are pictures of Dakota on my thread if you want to see her. She is so completely precious to me.

Slokarma
January 3rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Sending thoughts and prayers for a safe trip and a quick recovery.

Sue

bakermom
January 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
It's been 3* the last two mornings when i came home from work. it's all the way up to 8* now. the ground is still covered although it hasn't snowed here since NYE. I need to go out and run some errands but think I'll wait a bit, maybe it will warm up to double digits. doubtful, but i can hope. Most everything from Christmas is put away, except for a few containers for cookies. As we snack i reduce them into fewer containers. Wrapped up the leftover fudge and froze it. That will make a nice treat later on.

HdWench
January 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
((((((((((Cyndi))))))))))) Yes prayers that Dakota's hand can be iced, antibotics and such.

Blondie! I love your morning greetings -- and if I'm answering I've been up all night *sigh* Ack - If I don't make an appointment for my hair, I'll look like that raggy gal hehehe But my cats don't care :-)

Getting back to normal here. Cool, not too hot, no snow. In search of a new sewing machine and working hard on Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt the Finish! whooo hooo

Also Craftsy has a FREE quilt BOM class -- I will learn some new things... Thank you for the links to other BOMS!

Have a Beautiful Thursday all and be sew happy

Mimis-quilts
January 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hot...Cold and in between! It was 6 degrees this morning on my drive to work and we still have snow on the ground...only 77 days till Spring...can't get here soon enough for me! I'm a hot weather gal myself and the older I get the more I hate Winter!

At work now sitting with a confused and very restless patient... who is resting at the moment.

lilmouse
January 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Morning Everyone, still working on my first cup of coffee but am wide awake....slept a long time. Last night I finished up a quilt for Marilyn's project, two more to go and then wash them and ship, I have one for Blondie that also needs washing and then shipped. Last time Steve was home for a few days (Christmas) he got me a cheater panel of wonky log cabin in sewing prints brown and beige and tan...really cute...anyway I am using it to make lap quilts and hand stitching then to practice my primitive stitching on..so I got one sandwiched last night and did a thread of stitching on it before I went to bed.....love the stitching but it needs lots of work yet....for me it is so relaxing and I can't describe how it makes me feel...hard to put into words! So I had a good day yesterday sewing....bought almost everything I need for making the portable design wall one of the other forum members made...still have a couple of items to pick up but it is so cute and will come in handy for my quilting group! Todays agenda is laundry and sewing...plus I go to work tonight at Joann's. Will check back in later....here's hoping the antibiotics work on Dakota and the swelling goes down so she doesn't need to have surgery! Keeping all in prayer and hugs to everyone!

Tanya D
January 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Happy Thursday everyone!

I am at work just taking a little break before I tackle my piles that accumulated over Christmas while I was away. I'm getting there!

I managed to get to the fabric store last night and found some plain black to border and back my Little Black Dress double slice. I think it will look really nice. Also picked up some white batting for my Wiggly Whimsy quilt. $112 later...ugh...and that was all stuff that was half price! This quilting habit is very expensive!!

The sun is shining and the wind is blowing as we are having a Chinook roll thru. They are great for warming us up but the pressure sure can cause some nasty headaches and every now and then I get them. So far so good with this one.

I have to take my pup to the vet today. He's been shaking his head and rubbing his ear on the carpet and scratching and scratching. I peeked at it this morning and his left ear is all red so I'm thinking he might have an ear infection. He also has a smell that is not pleasant and I had my daughter give him a bath yesterday thinking that was it but the smell is back so I'm pretty sure it's his ear. He's been shaking his head for 2 days now so I know it's not from his bath.

One more day of work and it's the weekend! Gotta love short weeks :)

Have a great day everyone!!!

Granny Judy
January 3rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
I too, am a lazy-bone. Slept in, still in PJs and having a big cuppa hot tea! (Yawn) It's just to cold for me to get excited about anything.. I'm lucky to get these old bones moving.

No plans, just enjoying the day that I have all to myself. SnIL went back to work after his 6 months post surgery vacation. DD#2 is back to work after the holidays...and It's just me and the pouchies. (a couple of cats, too)

Praying for a fast recovery for Dakota.. Was shocked to hear of that incident...

Here's a video of making that Wedding Ring quilt an easier way.. I got the templates but haven't found the time to get started with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yfifwcg8IJ4&feature=endscreen

I joined a BOM that I found on line.. http://opengatequilts.blogspot.com/
It runs for 6 months and there are downloadable instructions..

As for those UFO's.. I'm good. Not too many in that pile just now.. Well there are about 3 tops that need sandwiching and quilting, but that area was taken over with Christmas Tree and Holiday stuff happening. I am NOT good about finishing anything that I can NOT see.. and all my UFO's are neatly packed away--out of sight. (afraid to open that door just now)

Sending Hugs and Prayers out to all in need...

SuzyQue
January 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
I slept so hard last night that 5 hours fulfilled my need, so I was up super early and now I feel I have put in a day's worth of work already! YEAH! Back to work and back to school, means back to routines and that is a a great thing!! I have laundry caught up, housework done for this week, and Christmas packed and put away. I might go put out snowmen now.....while everything is clean and neat and kind of bare! I did the rest of the ironing this morning, while everyone was still asleep and finished up those 5 little quilts. I cut out 2 adorable little train quilts from some scraps, so I have projects to go, ready and waiting for me! I need to get lunch started soon.......leftovers are gone and we need some decent food to keep going. It is cold here today with lingering snow on the ground. The area had lots of black ice this morning, but we were not out then. Prayers continue for Dakota's little hand and Donna's flare. Wishing you all a productive day and lots of hugs.

shannonsaulter
January 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
GM to all...My kids are still both on vacation well sort of the 19yr old is working but no school..I went back to work New Years day so my week is 1/2 over as of today..Sunday is my Friday this week...are you confused yet...lol...hope everyone finds their smiles today...(((HUGS)))

quiltingtrish
January 4th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Prayers for Dakota - sure hope she doesn't have to have surgery.
I finally posted my gifts from Bobbi over on the front page of the Secret Santa Swap Groups.
Shannon - I am not confused. What was that you said again? haha! We were lucky and only had a 3 day school week. I am looking forward to tomorrow being my last for this week.
I might be walking to school in the morning. Oldest said his vehicle is grinding pretty bad which means he takes my car to work and I take his. But, if his is grinding that badly, I don't want his to break down on me! I'll call the shop and see when they can get it in. And, it's freezing here so I'm sure it will be quite a chilly walk. It will wake me up though by the time I get there.
Suppose I should head in for some sleep. It's not easy getting up at 6 when I had that nice Christmas break and didn't have to set the clock.
Hope you all have a wonderful evening.
Hugs,