PDA

View Full Version : DGD bitten by a dog

cyndiofthevortex
January 2nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
My DGD 2 year old Dakota was bitten by a dog on Monday. Her hand is now swollen and they've been sent to the hospital. They expect to stay there at least overnight. DH and I are on our way to Boston Childrens. Prayers are appreciated.

Blondie
January 2nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Cyndi, praying right this very moment!

shannonsaulter
January 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
OMG how horrible..Hope she is ok and that the dog owners had all shots up to date...prayers being said please keep us posted

Loonwatcher
January 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Praying for Dakota and the rest of you.

EnumclawGramma
January 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Also praying. Please keep us posted. This makes me sad.....2 years old.

Bailey65
January 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Thinking of you Cyndy you will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Jean Sewing Machine
January 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
OMG! I hope she is OK. Is is an unknown dog or a neighborhood dog? That can be a problem if they don't know if it has had rabies shots.

Divine Daisy
January 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
oh no! So sad to hear this. Thinking of your all.

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Cyndi...prayers have been said. Let us know how she is later on.

cyndiofthevortex
January 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
The dog belongs to her dad's uncle and all the shots are up to date. DD Faith says right now they are unable to get an IV into Dakota, which she needs. She's a little spitfire so I'm not surprised that she's putting up a fight. Her sisters are 4 and 5 and are very upset about their little sister. This is so upsetting. We are thankful that the dog did not bite her in the face. We shutter to think of that.

Silverlining
January 2nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Cyndi: Prayers have been sent. Let us know how she is doing. Take care of yourself too. This must be traumatizing for all of you. I am sure that they will take great care of her and she will be okay. Keep the faith.

Lisapc
January 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I am praying for her. Accidents happen and I hope this was an accident. Hopefully this little girl will recover quickly and not have a fear of dogs when she is older.

Cat n bull
January 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Oh no! The poor thing! {{Prayers and hugs}}

lilmouse
January 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Prayers and hugs coming your way.....this happened to my grandaughter and the dog just missed her eye....she has a slight scar by her mouth...took several stitches! They come through this stuff surprisingly well....she is four and is cautious around dogs but loves Sassi.

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Sending prayers and best wishes - luckily it is a known dog.

Sew Perfect
January 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
I just hate it when things like this happen. Prayers are sent to your little DGD for healing.

auntiemern
January 2nd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Prayers being sent and said. How terrible for all of you to have to go through. I hate to say it, but some dogs just should not be around children. Hugs to all of you, and an extra gentle one for Dakota.

buckeyequilter
January 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Prayers being said and I hope all is going well with her...poor baby.

Winniesfriend
January 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Sending hugs and prayers, so frightening for your granddaughter.

quilter.martha
January 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Praying for little Dakota, and for you, too, to have peace and not worry.

Tanya D
January 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Aw, poor little miss. I sure hope they can get the IV into her. She must be so afraid and at that age, they don't know that the doctors and nurses are trying to help them. Atleast she's at a Children's Hospital where they are specialized in dealing with scared little ones.

I sure hope she'll be ok and that she heals up quickly.

yeeehawterri
January 2nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
I'm so sorry, it's a very traumatic experience, not just for your DGD but the whole family. My 3 yr old DGS was bitten in the face by a friends dog last March. His face swelled up and looked like a monster, but after a few days everything calmed down. He has one small scar spot on his cheek which looks like a bug bite now. It's amazing how the young bodies heal with the help of prayers and good Dr's. I'll be thinking of your DGS and saying lots of prayers for her.

SallyO'Sews
January 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Praying for healing and for your little one to be at peace, so she can cooperate with the medical pros. Keep us posted!

K. McEuen
January 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Ew, hopefully everything turns out alright. If she is giving the hospital staff heck, she must be doing better than everyone else that is worrying about her. It's great how resilient little kids are.

MayinJerset
January 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Praying that all goes well with the little one. May

SuzyQue
January 2nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Prayers said for healing and peace and comfort for the family and now for cooperation of Dakota! It was a relief to read that the dog is up to date on his shots and is known to the family. It was also good to hear that she is at a children's hospital. Hope to read that she is doing great soon!

CrazyMtnLady
January 2nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Prayers being said for little Dakota. It is always a sad thing when a child is bitten by a dog and I am sure the dog's owner feels very bad about it. I know when someone comes to our house with a small child we will put TarButt in the house or in the bathroom if we are not going to be able to watch her all the time. She has not been raised around children and we do not want anything to happen.

Jess1377
January 2nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Aww, poor little one. Prayers being said now!

BellasQuilts
January 2nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Poor baby! That is why I keep our 13 year old blind and deaf terrier away from kids. She gets too nervous and I don't want her to nip or bite anyone. She's just an old curmudgeon and kids have too much energy for her these days. Saying a prayer she will be alright. I bet her uncle is upset too.

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 12:07 AM
We just got back from Boston. Dakota is active and alert and under the care of the best doctors in New England. Her hand is red and very swollen. I have to say it looks terrible to me. They are worried that there is tendon damage as she can barely move her fingers and will not move her thumb at all. She is being given antibiotics through an IV every four hours. A hand surgeon will be seeing her tomorrow if there is no improvement. Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes. I appreciate them all. Thanks for loving Dakota with me.

Kendra Long
January 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM
Poor little baby... saying prayers for a speedy recovery.

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Here are pictures of adorable Dakota.

lilmouse
January 3rd, 2013, 12:50 AM
Cyndi, she looks like she could give the Drs. what for, has that sassy look about her...she is adorable!

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM
Here she is in the hospital today. She is tired and in pain but she cheered up a lot while we were there and was able to play and eat some supper.

Lisapc
January 3rd, 2013, 01:02 AM
She is adorable and being in pain with the swelling might be keeping her from moving that hand. Good luck and keep us posted.

sewbizzy
January 3rd, 2013, 01:02 AM
Prayers sent for Dakota!!!

Kaytessa
January 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Agreeing in prayers for this precious beautiful baby girl.

EsGrandma
January 3rd, 2013, 01:50 AM
Dakota is sooo cute! Praying that loving and healing surround all of you.

Musical_Starling
January 3rd, 2013, 02:59 AM
Aww, what a sweet little girl :) Prayers that she heals quickly and doesn't develop a huge fear of dogs!

Monique
January 3rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Cyndi, I hope all goes well. That is how I got my deathly fear of dogs.

Blondie
January 3rd, 2013, 07:41 AM
I am happy to wake up this a.m. and read a better report. Will continue to pray that the surgeon will have good news. Hoping that she was just not feeling up to moving all her digits until she wanted to.
Poor baby; just hate this happened - however Ms Cyndi, you have a lovely lovely DGD.

MRoy
January 3rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Praying for Dakota (and for her grandma too!).

Bailey65
January 3rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cyndi thanks so much for keeping us updated. Your DGD is adorable! I pray that she will heal quickly and not need any surgery. Please know that we are ALL thinking and praying for you!

Suzyq
January 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
What a darling little Grand daughter, you must be so proud... Hope she's better soon... Sending hugs and prayers....

EnumclawGramma
January 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
She's lil' sweet pea Cyndi! Hoping all goes well today and she can go home soon. Such a scarey time for a little one!

Swedish leo
January 3rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
We just got back from Boston. Dakota is active and alert and under the care of the best doctors in New England. Her hand is red and very swollen. I have to say it looks terrible to me. They are worried that there is tendon damage as she can barely move her fingers and will not move her thumb at all. She is being given antibiotics through an IV every four hours. A hand surgeon will be seeing her tomorrow if there is no improvement. Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes. I appreciate them all. Thanks for loving Dakota with me.

I am so sorry for Dakota and for you! Hope for soon recovery and that she do not develope fear for dogs.

Lots of love and hugs

Annika

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
DD Bethany and I are heading down to Boston this morning to see DD Faith and sweet Dakota. The swelling of Dakota's hand has not gone down at all. They are keeping her another day and if it does not improve she'll have surgery tomorrow morning. Faith is so tired so prayers for her to get some rest are needed. Also, and this is a very little thing, but I'm afraid of big cities. Can you pray for me as we drive into and out of Boston? Children's is right in the middle of the city and yesterday I was stressed about it on top of everything else.

Musical_Starling
January 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
DD Bethany and I are heading down to Boston this morning to see DD Faith and sweet Dakota. The swelling of Dakota's hand has not gone down at all. They are keeping her another day and if it does not improve she'll have surgery tomorrow morning. Faith is so tired so prayers for her to get some rest are needed. Also, and this is a very little thing, but I'm afraid of big cities. Can you pray for me as we drive into and out of Boston? Children's is right in the middle of the city and yesterday I was stressed about it on top of everything else.

No problem honey! Praying that all goes well with sweet little Dakota, that Faith gets some well-needed rest, and that your trip in and out is as smooth and painless as possible :)

cyndiofthevortex
January 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Dakota was completely tramatized while I was there today as they decided to switch her IV from her injured arm to the other arm to see if she would start to use her fingers. They could barely get the IV in, then they decided not to take the other one out until she had calmed down, so she had two hands she could not use as both of them were wrapped to protect the IV. She began to use her feet to play with toys! She adapted. After we left they took the extra IV out of her arm and since then her mom reports she has been using her injured hand to play and eat. Her hand is still swollen so they may have to do surgery on it tomorrow. My heart is still racing hours after hearing her little screams of pain. It is hard work being a parent and a grandparent. Thanks for all of your prayers.

alliek
January 3rd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Praying for her to be just fine. I hope she gets over this fright. She is in a great hospital. Keep the faith. let us know.

auntiemern
January 3rd, 2013, 10:03 PM
Oh honey, I just feel so bad for all of you. I know firsthand how traumatizing it is to the parents and grand parents to go through this, and not be able to make it all better. Nothing worse than hearing your little one scream in agony and frustration. Prayers for all of you. Give that little sweetie a gentle hug from another "been there" Granny.

CrazyMtnLady
January 3rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Will keep her in my prayers tonight. I sure hope she does not need surgery.

HandsOffItsMine
January 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM
Ohh Cyndi, so sorry to hear that little Dakota got bitten by a dog. Poor thing, she is adorable. What eyes!!!

Hope that they don't have to do surgery. Prayers of course for her and you, plus parents. :)