PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions..

MayinJerset
January 2nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
3 cousins and I (The Grannys) meet monthly at each others homes for lunch. Awhile back we started putting a few dollars aside each month for a special treat or activity. Last summer we took a dinner cruise around the bay and last week we got dressed up and had an expensive lunch at the Brooklyn NY landmark restaurant. We need some ideas for furture activities that don't entail a lot of walking or standing as the arthritis in my knees prevents me from doing those things. I've been checking local theatres as there would be less walking invovled as they have parking lots and lots of places to eat near by. So far I haven't found anything the gals would like to see but I'll keep looking. Only thing I've come up with is a spa day with a facial, manicure and maybe pedicure. I'm open to any and all suggestions for a fun day for a bunch of 65 to almost 80 year old Grannys. May

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Can you find out where and when the Chippendales are performing?

http://www.chippendales.com/touring-show/north-america.html

meemeecyn
January 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Spa day sounds glorious! Let them pamper you all. Is there a place near you that does 'garden teas'? When warm weather comes, that would be fun. (we have one near us, set up as an English garden with beautiful flowers, etc.....they then serve tea and crumpets...it is really nice!). Do you find museums fun? Not sure what is near you, but touring a quilt/art museum might be interesting. Usually they have chairs benches to sit and rest when needed. How about going to the Shore? Just sitting at the ocean edge can be relaxing. Thought about hosting a quilting bee and then have your lunch catered??? Good luck with whatever you do. The important thing is doing it with friends and having fun. It's a gift you give to yourselves and each other.
Cynthia

Bubby
January 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm with Cynthia....a spa day....how wonderful that would be!

K. McEuen
January 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Haha, and of course, I'm with Sandy. When I read the line "I'm open to any and all suggestions for a fun day for a bunch of 65 to almost 80 year old Grannys." my first thought was "Hire a male stripper."

Patrice
January 2nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
If there is somewhere close that you can see a play I highly recommend it. It would be no walking for sure. Also some kind of tour with buses or train. When we went to savannaha we took a guided bus tour of the city. It was great and we had a really good tour guide. So much enteresting history.

Divine Daisy
January 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
My suggestion is something I did for my daughter's 18th birthday.

I set a treasure hunt. It began at a lovely local cafe where they had chocolate fudge cake. The owner gave them a criptic clue in an envelope I had given her. The clue guided them to a beauty salon where they had their nails and makeup done. Once done they were given the next clue........... I kind of remember this clue......was something like Blue Laggon was a film but where can you drink it in? The answer was a Blue Logoon cocktail which led them to a cocktail bar where the cocktails were lined up ready. The next clue took them to a resturant where they had dinner, finally a taxi picked them up and brought them home for a pyjama party.

There are all kinds of trails you could lay with clues, peaple have fun working out the clues and the next stop being a suprise. As you will be there you can help them out if the clue is too hard. It is a nice way to try different things as you won't be there all day.

Just a thought .............. maybe people could take it in turns at each outing to set the trail?

oh oh........make one of the places a massage to ease the aching bones. Maybe the last stop?

SuziC
January 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
I vote for the Spa Day for sure!

MayinJerset
January 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks gals, so far a Spa Day and Chippendales are tied for first place, LOL!

All good suggestions. Our problem is that we're New York City gals although some of us now live in Jersey. We've been to many Broadway shows, the opera, the ballet, museums, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, etc. so finding something different to do is difficult. The Jersey shore is in no conditon to visit at this time, too much damage from Hurricane Sandy. No one wants to go to Atlantic city, they've been there, done that.

I'm checking shows at local museums, libraries and theatres, simple and close by and best of all, very little walking for me as we can park near the building entrances.

I've made each of the gals a quilt. So one gal asked me to teach them to quilt but when I gave her a list of basic supplies, just a 6 x 12 ruler and a rotary cutter, she thought it was too expensive. PS: she's the one with all the big bucks. I've made them pillowcases and have often told them about my being a coordinator of my Guild's Project Pillowcases for Kids in Hosptials and how we need money for fabrics but no one ever donated any money. So it's safe to say sewing or quilting are out. I've thought of overnight trips but that's out too.

Sometimes we play a Rummy card game at Toni's but it isn't really exciting for me because she supplies the nickels we use to bet with. Been thinking of getting a board game to play after we have lunch but need one that's fun and a bit competitive. Anyone know of one?

We've got next month's get together covered as we're taking another cousin out to lunch. This cousin isn't doing to well and is alone so we try to keep in touch with her every so aften.

alliek
January 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hire a limousine and go into the Big Apple for a play and lunch/dinner. They'll drive you and drop you at the doors of your destination and meet you when you come out and drive you home. If not, I'd opt for the spa day too!

auntiemern
January 3rd, 2013, 11:55 PM
Sandy and Karen are girls after my own heart. Just cuz ya got a few years under your belt, doesn't mean you have to be a fuddy duddy, lol. But spa day would be nice too.

BellasQuilts
January 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Do a progressive dinner - hors d'oeuvres at one place, soup/salad at another, dinner another, dessert another and then a movie. You can probably find restaurants close by each other in NY, so you wouldn't have to walk far, but could enjoy different places for each dish. Lots of fun!

New York Sue
January 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM
My daughter and I had took a bus-guided tour of New York City (specifically Harlem Gospel Tour). It was awesome! Not a lot of walking, if you can park close to where the tour begins. We learned a LOT about the history of NYC we didn't know. We ended the day at Sardi's for hors d'oeuvres and a glass of wine. It was lovely!
Check out Xperiencedays.com. Packages are available in most cities.

MayinJerset
January 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM
more good suggestions, I'll have to run them by the gals.

Bad News, Chippendales are nowhere near us at this time but I'll keep their schedule in my Favorites List and keep checking on them. LOL!

bkthomas
January 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
more good suggestions, I'll have to run them by the gals.

Bad News, Chippendales are nowhere near us at this time but I'll keep their schedule in my Favorites List and keep checking on them. LOL!

You go girl!!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
January 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Can you do anything in NYC without walking? I've never been there, but it is on my bucket list, and when I go, I intend to bring my best walking shoes! I guess you can take a cab to where ever you want to go.

alliek
January 4th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Can you do anything in NYC without walking? I've never been there, but it is on my bucket list, and when I go, I intend to bring my best walking shoes! I guess you can take a cab to where ever you want to go.

Sometimes it is easy to get a cab and sometimes NOT. Public transportation is the best. If you don't like subways, there are buses. Get a schedule and map. Also tours are good, My daughter was in NYC on business in the first week of Dec. Could not get a cab and she had a bad ankle from a fall. She finally opted for a Rickshaw to get her to her hotel. She said it was a harrowing ride, in between cars, buses' and cabs, but he got her there and much cheaper than a taxi!

MayinJerset
January 5th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Jean, There is so much going on that it is best to do a lot of walking as taking a cab is very expensive and slow because of the slow moving massive traffic. Anyone going to The City as we called Manhattan should get a transit pass and take the subway and buses to get aroundl and also wear very comfortable walking shoes.