PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday - the first one of 2013

Blondie
January 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM

Good Morning Folksies! It's 2013 - I was in bed almost asleep when it magically became a New Year. Hubs was next to me snoring merrily away. I did roll over and give him a squeeze or two. Happy New Year Darling, says I. Snort, snort snort with a mumble in there somewhere. He may not be a big talker but he did grab my hand which means even in his sleep world, he likes me to be next to him.

Yesterday we made it finally to the habitat restore. It was pretty slim pickings. We met up with middle son Josh there. Gosh, I miss being around that rascal. He is a real sweetie pie. I am certain that I can say here - being the New Year and all - that it is a supremely difficult thing for a Mom to keep her mouth shut and nose out of her kid's business, right? If that is really the case and for ME it is, I should win duct tape award of the year or something. I have three absolutely gorgeous children. Each one so very very different from the other it amazes me. So, I bought a new roll of duct tape. You know the colorful kind that looks like a zebra. Looks real good on me, if I do say so.

Happy New Year Folksies. Wishing everyone the happiest, brightest, healthiest, most funnest, bestest, loving-est, Stupendous year ahead. In fact, to wrap it all up, let's all agree that 2013 shall be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zAbQ0aMK8

buckeyequilter
January 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Good morning...

Thanks for sharing the video Blondie...nice way to start my day and the new year.

I WILL finish a quilt today...I have 2 that need binding. My room had to be rearranged and so I've been doing that....didn't realize how much stuff I have. I will do laundry today because it's back to work tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day everyone and the happiest of New Year's. God Bless each of you!

Bubby
January 1st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Good Morning,

I stayed up and saw the new year arrive. I'm heading back to bed for a while...somewhat under the weather...may have caught a flu bug.

Barb

mamaquilt
January 1st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Happy New Year. Still got some duct tape left?????? I'm in need too. But that is the way mothers should be, SEE everything, SAY nothing, but HELP when needed. That's my motto for this year. Sounds a bit similar to yours.

SMILE

Michèle

buckeyequilter
January 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good Morning,

I stayed up and saw the new year arrive. I'm heading back to bed for a while...somewhat under the weather...may have caught a flu bug.

Barb

Take care, get some rest and hope you feel better soon.

Lisaau
January 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Happy new year ......it's already the 2nd of January in Australia ... At 12.19 am?..bubby did you catch a flu bug or the dreaded hangover bug ......hahaha it's commonly related to new years eve lololollol ...and easily contracted lololol ...

DCM
January 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
My son and I stayed up to watch the ball drop and then it was off to bed for me. We are celebrating Christmas today since my husband and son were traveling around Christmas day. Happy New Year!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
January 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Gee, Blondie, it's been a long time since I heard that! Hope everyone had a great New Years Eve. I went to the movies with a lady friend, we saw Les Mis, probably one of the most anticipated movies for a long time among theatre goers. It was good, but somehow fell a bit flat. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Jean Sewing Machine
January 1st, 2013, 10:21 AM
Happy new year ......it's already the 2nd of January in Australia ... At 12.19 amYou Aussies are such over achievers!

Lisaau
January 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hahaha jean lolololo

buckeyequilter
January 1st, 2013, 10:32 AM
You Aussies are such over achievers!

That's what my DH said yesterday when I told him it was already New Year's in Australia.

Monique
January 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
From my family to yours HAPPY NEW YEAR!! May 2013 be merry, bright, bring good health, happiness and prosperity.

We had a seafood fest here last night. Oh my god, I ate 4 lobster tails. But they were so good. I have started the New Year with all my children and grandchildren and granddoggies and of course, hubby by my side. What more could I ask for. This year is very special to me because this is the first year we have ALL been together. What more could I ask.

I think they are all leaving tomorrow to go home. It will sure be quiet around here. Then the clean-up begins. Can't wait to get back into quilting.

I bought myself a new tablet. It is just a little one but it will be handy in the sewing room. Phil & Sadie got one too. Now I need to make us all cases for them. I haven't been on here much this last week and half and if there is something important going on that I have missed, please let me know. I have missed you all.

Have a wonderful day in the new year.

Lisapc
January 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM
I know what you mean about the duct tape. My daughter called me at 12:03 to wish us a Happy New Year. That was fine. What wasn't fine was that she and her hubby, daughter and pregnant belly were 20 minutes from home at a friends for a small gathering. I had been all calm and relaxed thinking she would stay home all safe and round since she is due the end of February. I was wrong. I told her to be very careful driving home, to watch out for the other guy because tonight they will be drunk and gave her my Happy New Year back. Then I hung up. I ended up awake until 2am worried about her and her family. She had no business being out with the crazies and to take my 4 yr old granddaughter with her really bothered me. She of course had 2 little friends to play with at Daddy's friends house but it still bugged me and I need stock in a duct tape company.

We had our Chinese food, opened a bottle of sparkling grape juice and pulled out the fancy wine glasses and had a toast with our 8 yr old son and had him in bed at 10pm. We had grown up time hanging out until shortly after midnight. I honestly don't know how we stayed up that late. We were exhausted because we spent hours yesterday hiking in the woods with our son and 2 Alaskan Malamutes. They had so much fun. I say the 3 of them to include the dogs and the boy but anyway the 3 of them were tracking deer and we think a bear. Hubby and I were exhausted when we came in but we all had hot cocoa and my homemade Pizzelli's(?) for a treat. I actually love the woods and it was the first time I got hubby out there with all of us. It was actually easier than I thought. I took my male and my son and left my female behind and she started to howl so hubby yelled to wait up for them so we did. We all needed the physical activity and fresh air.

I hope Mary Poppins is right and that this year is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

CountryHut
January 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
- Happy 2013 all -

hubby and I welcomed 2013 with big smoooooooch :icon_kiss: and then a G'nite rest well my dear, I Love You - off to dreamland we went .. from the 1st time the hubby told me he loved me -- he has NEVER missed a day :icon_hug:

chatted with my son last evening - he's under the weather - haven't heard a word from my daughter since Christmas morning
normally if I dn't hear from her - she's doing something that she doesn't want me to know about - now, if I start biting at my nails
I know that something is wrong --
Thank goodness -- I've never ever get into my youngins business - if even if they tell me all their issues and problems - I only
listen -- when they ask for help - I try to help them figure it out on their own 1st -- after that is when they empty my wallet
LOL*~ . . .
the kids know my motto -- the less I know the better off I am . . and their motto is -- ask me no questions, I tell you no lies . .
soo . . I don't - they don't - and we're good . . LOL*~

well, its off to put a load of wash in and then the sewing table

everyone have a wonderful and happy day

Diane :)

**Happy Birthday to my Dad - who would have been 86 today**~

CrazyMtnLady
January 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Happy New Year and I hope all of you do have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious new year! Great way to start off the day Blondie!

Stayed up and watched the ball drop...of course it was only 11pm in Missouri when it dropped in New York so we stayed up and watched another New Year's Eve show until midnight here. Did not take me long to fall asleep after midnight either. LOL

I made another tote yesterday. Same material as the first one, I just added another row of squares to make it a little taller and added a buttonhole and a button. I'll post a picture later. I also got almost all of my appliques on the squares for my Whirley Gig baby quilt, only have 5 more squares to go and then I can start sewing them together.

I am looking forward to watching the Rose Bowl Parade today. It is something I look forward to every year. DH wants to cut wood today...I told him we can cut wood tomorrow....today is a holiday and I wasn't going to start the new year out by being out cutting wood. We have enough to last a couple days. I told him to put some clothes on and I wouldn't have to keep the fire going so much! LOL

have a most joyous and wonderful day today and an even better New Year!

Hugs and prayers to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
- Happy 2013 all -

hubby and I welcomed 2013 with big smoooooooch :icon_kiss: and then a G'nite rest well my dear, I Love You - off to dreamland we went .. from the 1st time the hubby told me he loved me -- he has NEVER missed a day :icon_hug:

chatted with my son last evening - he's under the weather - haven't heard a word from my daughter since Christmas morning
normally if I dn't hear from her - she's doing something that she doesn't want me to know about - now, if I start biting at my nails
I know that something is wrong --
Thank goodness -- I've never ever get into my youngins business - if even if they tell me all their issues and problems - I only
listen -- when they ask for help - I try to help them figure it out on their own 1st -- after that is when they empty my wallet
LOL*~ . . .
the kids know my motto -- the less I know the better off I am . . and their motto is -- ask me no questions, I tell you no lies . .

well, its off to put a load of wash in and then the sewing table

everyone have a wonderful and happy day

**Happy Birthday to my Dad - who would have been 86 today**~That works fine until they need you to bail them out ( literally or figuratively) when they work themselves into a really bad place!

Blondie
January 1st, 2013, 11:20 AM
. . . if they tell me all their issues and problems - I only
LOL*~ . . .

sounds like me with a capital T; I always keep the duct tape handy though just in case. I think I've used about a huge skiff in the past 10 years or better. My own folks were very good about keeping out of our business. Of couse, we always knew and STILL do know when something makes my Mom unhappy. She gets the put upon Mommy face. Wonder if I have that look?

**Happy Birthday to my Dad - who would have been 86 today**~[/QUOTE]

quiltingtrish
January 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Good morning to a New Year to all my friends on here!!

Threw some beef roast in the cooker, cleaned the microwave, and am ready for the day. I have more wrapping to do today so when I see local friends in January, I will be ready for them. My project for January is a Valentines quilt. Since I have 2 kits of them, I think I will work on them at the same time. Maybe I will just get that 2nd one off to my cousins sometime in the month of February. Valentines was never a big holiday for me and I don't like pink so what was I thinking when I bought the kit? At least I hope to have something hanging up for that time of year when it comes.
Suppose now I should get dressed so the day can really get started. There are still 5 others in this house that are still in bed. They seem to think the day starts at noon. Not!
Have a great day everyone - Hugs,

Sandy Navas
January 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hey, I haven's seen you folks since LAST YEAR! Nice to catch up with you as the New Year starts - and it did with a bang around here. Not as noisy as I had anticipated though, so sleep came easy.

Just another day here for us - Al is still nursing his back and will be calling to schedule an MRI tomorrow when the doctor's office reopens. Scarey - sometimes things like this change every plan and idea you have.

I'm going to be finishing up some cleaning today (or at least making a bigger dent). Sure wish I didn't run out of steam so quickly. But, once it is finished I"ll feel much better. I do like starting the new year with a clean slate (that doesn't include what awaits me in my sewing room though).

And, until I resurface, let us all agree to do everything within our power to keep our attitudes in check!!

MayinJerset
January 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM
Happy First Day of 2013 Everyone! Trying to think of something wise to say but nothing is coming as I keep thinking what design of duck tape I need to pick up ASAP. May

LynneLeavell
January 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Happy New Year everyone. We babysat all three of the grandchildren last night. Had a good time. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Ginny B
January 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Happy 2013 everyone. We had a nice dinner out (just dh and I) and then went to a neighbor's. Stayed there to see the ball drop, hung out for a little bit longer, helped clean up a little and then made the long walk next door home. We were talking about how we have gotten a lot quieter over the years. No hats, no noisemakers -- didn't even go outside at midnight and yell and all. But it was a nice New Year's Eve. DH and I enjoy going out to dinner that night even though the neighbors have dinner and invite us. After all the hustle and bustle of the previous few weeks, we like to just sit down together, have a relaxing dinner and enjoy being with each other. Talking about upcoming plans, hopes and dreams.

Heard from all my kiddies. Then I turned on the Honeymooners marathon and watched those until it was midnight in California and spoke to my son and his fiance' and my best friend. After ringing in the California New Year I went to sleep. Now I will put some cinnamon buns in the oven and dh and I will settle down to watch the Rose Bowl parade.

Thanks for that video Blondie. Made me smile. Here's wishing a supercalifragilisticexpialadosious New Year to all.

Ginny B

pcbatiks
January 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM
I am certain that I can say here - being the New Year and all - that it is a supremely difficult thing for a Mom to keep her mouth shut and nose out of her kid's business, right?

......So Blondie and others.......it's not just me! It is definitely difficult to keep my mouth shut but I guess I do a pretty good job........I have to remind myself that some things they have to learn or figure out for themselves.

I had a friend tell me something interesting awhile back............she has a college age daughter away at school. The mom was reminding her daughter that she needed to be sure and get registered for classes on Wednesday. The following week the daughter told her in conversation that she had originally planned to register that Wed. but because her mom told her to do it that day.......she intentionally waited and registered on a day when she wanted to!!!! So that was proof to me that kids will go out of their way to do things the way they want to instead of the way we think they should! :D

Had a quiet night here. Was playing a Big Bang Theory trivia game at midnight......a little scary how many answers we knew! Listened to the fireworks outside........said our I love you to each other and went to sleep..........thankful to have each other!!

It has been raining here since about 4 this morning......yard looks like a swamp.........good day to sew on new project! Have a great day everyone!

aliaslaceygreen
January 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Happy New Year. Still got some duct tape left?????? I'm in need too. But that is the way mothers should be, SEE everything, SAY nothing, but HELP when needed. That's my motto for this year. Sounds a bit similar to yours.

SMILE
Michèle
That has a nice ring to it.....

I slept in like I partied the night away, but I was in bed and about asleep when the neighborhood erupted in fireworks....

I have posted a few new blogs, click below to read... got my plans in place, my UFO list, my OTHER STUFF I HAVE TO DO list, and am, if not raring, ready to go!!

Hoping for the best of everything, for everyone this year!

GrammaBabs
January 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Up and am in one piece!!!
Our big bash at the clubhouse was fantastic.... i DANCED the night away,, and my Mr. Bill even did 3 fast dances with me!!!! Just like "back in the day".... the hip is working like a charm... gettin' funky from the moment they played "Old TimeRock andRoll!! I still got the moves...LOL People came up and hugged me saying, it was so good to see me back on the dance floor.... YES, i'm stiff,,, but it was a blast.... noisemakers,sparkles, hairband crown with "feather"on each table for everyone,,lighted trees and of course Wine!! I may be 65,,, but last night i remembered what it felt like doing the "swim",,bump,,, twist and jerk!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA....and yes, i'm still standing... now to get back to the pool, walk a bit and WORK ON THAT SEWING ROOM!!!!!!!!! Babs

shannonsaulter
January 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM
GM and Happy New Year..I stayed up said happy new year to my youngest DD as everyone else was asleep then rolled over to sleep myself..Going to work early so wont be on much today but looking forward to getting out of there early....Have a great day all!!!

Granny Judy
January 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM
A Happy New Year's Day to everyone!! Tryin to catch up on the messages. Prayers and Hugs to all.

auntiemern
January 1st, 2013, 03:48 PM
I have the ability to keep mouth shut, just not the capability. Never have been known to be one to keep a sock in it. I have always said, if you don't want my opinion, don't give me a reason to give you one. We had the grands last night too. I was the only one to stay up to see the New Year arrive. Only cuz I knew the phone would ring, lol. Still have them with us til DD gets off work at 4. Then I am seriously considering taking my butt to the ER. Can't even talk to dermatologist til tomorrow, but maybe they can give me something for the interim to help with the incessant itching. Doesn't seem like the steroids are doing as well as before. That, and keep coming up with new spots. Ok enough whining. Got to check out the rest of the forum and see what is going on. Hugs, blessings, and prayers for those in need.

HdWench
January 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Happy New Year to all! May 2013 be what we make of it :-)

I'm missing my grandson, got SO angry at the daughter *we shall not speak of* I went to bed at 10 pm!! Nope, didn't stay up and sew all night like my normal hahaha

Nice to see all the *new* 2013 folks :-)

BABS!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, dancing machine - you go woman!

The big reveal on Bonnie Hunt's Mystery Quilt was this morning, so now I've got to figure out how to piece the 1500+++ sections together - that's my day planned.

((((Hugs)))) and take Care Marilyn!!! Could it be an allergic reaction? ohh I get such hives and itching I DO hit the ER for shots

Love,

Debbie

Silverlining
January 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. We have two grown daughters that are so different that you would never know they came from the same family. I think you should manufacture some designer duct tape. I would buy it. I need all I can get with my youngest daughter. Happy New Year everyone! :icon_wave:

MRoy
January 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I've been sewing today...made a cover and coordinating mat for my sewing machine using quilted fabric left over from when I made purses. I figure if it's going to sit on the dining room table it needs a spiffy cover. Then I did some patch work...on DH's flannel work shirts! Not fun. Just now having a late lunch.

Sew Perfect
January 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Here's to starting off a new year and leaving the old one behind! Blessing to all!

Claire Hallman
January 1st, 2013, 05:21 PM
HI, We did stay up to see the New Year in and the old one out. There were some fireworks around the area but not near enough to disturb sleep. DH went right to dreamland and I tossed and turned.
I think I may have restless leg syndrome. There are times when I can't stop myself from turning over and over and over.:0 It is a good thing that I am retired and don't have a schedule for most days, at least it is something one can live with.

That duct tape comes in lots of pretty designs now, I may need some, I do try to keep my opinions to myself and manage most of the time but sometimes my mouth works without the thoughts going through my brain first.:icon_rolleyes: The tape might help.

Winniesfriend
January 1st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Happy New Year every one

Stetler
January 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Happy New year! I slept through the whole ordeal last night. Have a quilty New Year!

lilmouse
January 1st, 2013, 08:40 PM
Marilyn, my New Years' Eve was spent working on blocks to put on those quilts I pm'd you about....and was still going when the new year came in....called it a night around 1:30 a.m and was back up by 8:15 for a quick shower and off to work....just now catching up....what doe it mean when your watch quits just before the New Year.....made sure I purchased a new one today right after work...need the watch anyway but didn't want to start out the new year without one...got one dirt cheap at Kohl's; so I am happy. Off to the sewing room as soon as I can get off of the puter!

Musical_Starling
January 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Oh boy, took a few days off and now I can't catch up lol Pretty quiet around here, just enjoying being together and 'present' this holiday :) But, I have to ask, can I get some of that duct tape for me mudder and me mudder-in-law? Man-o-man, I could really use some! lol

Happy New Year all!! :D

Divine Daisy
January 1st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Oh boy, took a few days off and now I can't catch up lol Pretty quiet around here, just enjoying being together and 'present' this holiday :) But, I have to ask, can I get some of that duct tape for me mudder and me mudder-in-law? Man-o-man, I could really use some! lol

Sorry, used all mine on my inlaws!

buckeyequilter
January 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM

I gave mine to my youngest granddaughter. She makes bows and other little things with it. I did give her a roll in her stocking...kind of pretty....white with black lace pattern on it. My kids probably wished I would have put it in my own stocking.

janluna
January 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM
My Grandmother had a saying....."Never, Never, tell your grown children what to do! Just change the subject and keep on rocking!" She used to also say..."Oh well, let them paddle their own canoe." That's when I knew she was upset about something my Aunt Lois had done. She never interfered with her kids marriages, or the way they raised their kids. I always knew when she was disgusted by the "canoe" sentence. I, on the other hand try hard, but can't live entirely up to Grammie's rules. If they are dumb enough to ask my opinion, I'm dumb enough to answer them. I keep quiet until they ask. And if they give me a hard time, I just tell them, "You asked. Don't ask if you don't want my opinion." It seems to work.
I love your post Blondie, and the little sign you posted, and the video! Thank you. It is uplifting to start New Years on such a note. Love, Hugs, and Prayers to all, Jan L.