PDA

View Full Version : Off to the beach

Poppytree
January 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM
What a topsy-turvy world we live in!

While lots of you are snuggling under your quilts with snow and rain we are spending New Years' Day on the beach. Its getting hotter so its a great place to cool down (low 90s at the moment and due to get to 105 on Thursday)

Last night's fireworks were fun and there was a lovely atmosphere at Glenelg. Thousands of people on the beach and along the esplanade having picnics and parties and there was a huge stage with bands and dancing later

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/new-year-firework-finale.html

lilmouse
January 1st, 2013, 01:43 AM
It does seem a little strange ... I agree....cold here, supposed to get down to 10 degrees Farenheit tonight!

bkthomas
January 1st, 2013, 02:25 AM
Happy New Year Jane!

CrazyMtnLady
January 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Happy New Year to you and all my Aussie "cousins". Enjoy your day at the beach. I know that is where I would be spending my day if I was able to be over there.

madampolo
January 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
I live in Texas, and it is south enough that we rarely get snow and ice in a winter. Usually, we wear shorts on Christmas day, but not this year. The temp got down to freezing during the night, and the days didn't warm up much. In addition, it was drizzling a little rain. Yucky weather. The fireworks were amazing!

Tanya D
January 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Sigh, what I would give to feel sand between my toes and waves lapping at my ankles. Enjoy your day at the beach!

Poppytree
January 2nd, 2013, 02:45 AM
Another day and another 5 degrees on the thermometer. Another trip to the beach soon - will wait till it quietens down at 5ish. Still 90f outside and due to reach 105 tomorrow!

Tanya D
January 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM
I live in Alberta, Canada...about an hour and a half away from Banff which is a town in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Today it's -1C (30F) which is actually a nice day for this time of year. There is lots of snow on the ground but the sun is shining. I am very jealous of your weather...we are landlocked here so no beach days for me anytime soon and without lots of traveling. I just love the ocean, the sound of waves crashing is so soothing. And sand beneath my feet is a wonderful feeling.

I will live vicariously thru your posts and close my eyes and picture myself there :)

Poppytree
January 3rd, 2013, 02:28 AM

Over 112F - Says it all really!

wendyw1
January 3rd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hi Jane, are you bracing yourself for Friday's heat ??? they are saying 41 here and to continue for another week...... I like it warm but not so hot that you can't do anything. Stay cool and stay safe.. WendyW

Poppytree
January 3rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Off to Robe for the weekend and have a day trip on the Murray next Wednesday - Our son goes back to the UK a week tomorrow. He'll certainly have a hot final week for his first trip to Australia! We're only 20 minutes from the beach so we end up there in the early evenings on hot days.

Could have done with a few dips in my daughter's pool but they seem otherwise engaged so it hasn't been convenient to visit them even though they are just 15 minutes away! Hopefully we are having afternoon tea with them next Tuesday so Iain will have his first swim in their pool then and have a chance to say his 'goodbyes'- he's been here nearly six weeks and has only been to his sister's house once for Christmas Day - not what I was expecting.

Feeling a bit disappointed at the way the family have ignored him but they do tend to keep themselves to themselves and twice the girls were due to come and stay with us and its been cancelled at the last minute. Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit 'miffed' - Its hard trying not to show how upset I am but I don't want to make things worse. We see even less of them now they have a puppy and he's used as an excuse for not going out for the day.