PDA

View Full Version : Monday, New Years Eve

Blondie
December 31st, 2012, 09:28 AM

Happy Monday,Folksies! It's the day before the New Year! From what I was reading the past few days, we must be a bunch of fuddy duddys and not party too hearty. I used to do. But once I started having children, wellsir, I decided I needed to be on the ready 24/7 without the cobwebs of party-ing. Now that they are grown and gone, my desire to be around a bunch of revelers is not what it once was. LOL. I may even be lucky if I stay awake for the Ball to Drop. hahaha. It's gonna be a New Year whether I am awake for it or not, right?
Well, December has been a big flop as far as productivity and I go. One weekend after another was taken up by someone else needing me to do something with them. I don't mind it really, but, I am ready for the phone to be taken off the hook and no one knocking at my door for a few weeks. I truly need to recapture my own little world again. I have been enjoying the extra sleep in the morning since hubs has been home - and he NEVER pulls me off of any task, which causes my whole ability to concentrate to derail and that is how I get sidetracked and forget where I was and what I was doing when it is time to do my thing again. I don't think I shall allow him to retire. I see what my Sis is going through with her hubs hanging around 24/7 since his disability - oy, better her and I is what I say. I would have to slap him soundly everyday and place him in the corner for good measure. Oh, Blondie can be cranky when she doesn't have some Blondie time! It's been way too long. Yep. Thinking about running away for a few days in a motel with no one having access to me and my machine. No other person to deal with. No computer. Just me and my machine.
Oh yes, I can dream.

Be safe folksies if you are out and about the masses of people celebrating. I will toast with a glass of wine or perhaps egg nog, all of you here in my MSQC family. Prayers, hugs and lots of smile coming your way.

Blessings
Blondie

Bubby
December 31st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Good Morning,

We're having freezing rain this morning..drats! I always hate bad weather on NY Eve because of the wrecks on the road. I will stay home and indoors all day and hunker down in my sewing room and possibly begin working on a UFO.

We will stay home this evening and most likely be in bed hours before the ball drops. Yes, Blondie, the new year comes if you are awake or not. We have a neighbor about 10 acres over who has a working cannon and at the stroke of midnight every New Year's Eve he shoots about ten shots. His ammo is beer cans filled with cement! It makes for an interesting way to welcome in the new year!

I wish you all a wonderful New Year's Eve and a very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous and Creative New Year!!!! Hugs, Barb

CrazyMtnLady
December 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Good morning. It is great to see you up and at 'em this morning. I have been up since 5:30 waiting on your smile!

Woke up to the sound of sleet hitting the roof. I think it has turned into snow now, and they are calling for up to 2" last I knew. I really hate to think of going to town today...but we need some groceries. :(

I hope to get some more sewing done today. I may get one of the baby quilts sandwiched and quilted or I may start on getting the appliques on the squares for my next project. So many decisions to make. LOL..

Do any of you have any "superstitions or traditions" that you do for New Year's Day. My mom always made Corned Beef and Cabbage and I know some people have Pork and Sauerkraut or Pork and Black-eyed Peas for good luck in the coming year. I will probably do the pork and black-eyed peas since I have that on hand and corned beef is just so expensive.

May God bless you all with great joy, health and a big ole' stash of fabric in the new year.

http://i48.tinypic.com/awqqde.jpg

buckeyequilter
December 31st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Good morning....

I've been up since about 5 a.m. My daughter had to be to work at 6 a.m. I put her dog out on the cable after she left and I went to let her back in and she was gone.....broke the cable. So I drove around town looking for her. I got back home because it was dark and I couldn't really see anyways. My DH was standing at the door telling her to get back up here...she was at the neighbor's house. She a husky so she loves the snow.

I'm working on my room again today because I had a leak - luckily the only thing affected was a cheap printer. So right now I have a bucket catching the drip. DH will get on the roof when he can and fix it. I'm am rearranging the entire room. We are going to turn my quilting frame around and hopefully that will give me a little more room - I'm going to put the end against the wall.

We won't be doing much tonight. I am going to get some snacks ready for later and we'll have snacks and wine. I'll watch the ball drop and then go to bed. I try to stay sober because you never know when you'll get called....several years back I received a call at 11:45 on NY Eve that my BIL had a heart attack and had passed away.

Please stay safe out there! Have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs to all.

Blondie
December 31st, 2012, 10:09 AM
Donna
We do the pork, black eyed peas, some greens and corn bread. We are going to be having the bash at my house instead of Mom's this year. For the greens we have collard, mustard or mixed. I loves me some mixed greens cooked with some fatback or bacon drippings - not too much, not to worry about the unhealthy - but just enough to make them super yummy and remove any bitterness. Here in my area, if you eat a lot of greens you are supposed to get a lot of money in the New Year. Black Eyed Peas are for good luck and the Pork is for good luck as well. I think every region has a variation of this and I think Pork is in most, cabbage subsitituted for the greens. My Granny always said if you had some stewed tomatoes to the meal, it would make you healthy all year.

pcbatiks
December 31st, 2012, 10:17 AM
Good morning friends..........We went and visited my DH's sister & family and his mom yesterday.....about 2 1/2 hours away. Had a nice time and gave MIL her lap quilt. She really liked it and said that she had been hoping I might make her one every since she had seen the quilt I made for my husband. So I was happy.

Don't think we have much planned either..........I don't like to be out on the rode with the drunk drivers. And like the rest of you.....we will be lucky if we are still awake when the ball drops!

I just want to thank all of you again for all of the laughs, advice, support and friendship that you all given me this past year. This forum has brightened my day more times than I could count! So thankful for my forum friends!

Have a safe and happy new year!

Lenie
December 31st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Happy New Years Eve for all the MSQC girls! This is what we eat here, to celibrate the new year! Not the healthiest stuff, but taste is great. It's called "oliebollen" and "appelflappen".
I always love to read about your traditions and the food coming along with that.

meemeecyn
December 31st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Just stopping in this morning to wish each of you a wonderful New Year! Can you believe time flies by so quickly?
Cynthia

MayinJerset
December 31st, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'm with you Blondie about not doing the party bit on New Years Eve any longer. Friends used to have house parties but then their kids started getting married and having kids so our friends usually are baby sitting their grands on NYE. Nowadays DH and I might go out to a simple dinner as by tonight we've had much too much rich foods. Later at home we'll have some snacks and a beer for him and a glass of wine for me while we watch the NYE shows on TV. Hopefully this year we'll both make it to midnight.

Those "oliebollen" and "appelflappen" look delicious. Now I really am going to make some cranberry muffins as a New Years treat, also to use up the last of the oj and frozen cranberries. First DH needs to get the flour and sugar down from the high kitchen shelves, it's no fun being short.
May in Jesey

buckeyequilter
December 31st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Donna....I will be having pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. DH & DD will probably just have shredded pork...no sauerkraut.

Blondie.....I've never heard about the stewed tomatoes. Might have to try that but not with my sauerkraut :)

buckeyequilter
December 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Happy New Years Eve for all the MSQC girls! This is what we eat here, to celibrate the new year! Not the healthiest stuff, but taste is great. It's called "oliebollen" and "appelflappen".
I always love to read about your traditions and the food coming along with that.

Oh wow....that looks delicious.

CountryHut
December 31st, 2012, 10:29 AM
MORNING ALL. . oh sorry didn't mean to be so loud .. *shhhh*~ ..

Donna - good thing we all dont age as Father Time has in a year -- me thinks I rather be Baby New Year . . yes?

Blondie . . does the hubby have more than 2000 morning words? . . my hubby has retired twice -- he didn't have a problem with adjusting to being home -- it was me that had the hard time adjusting -- hubby would say -- Whats for lunch -- I would say -- there's the frig -- have at it . . LOL*~
OMG - on - 01-04 he starts 10 hour days - which means - every month he will have off
6+ days at a time . *smacking forehead*~ . .
told the hubby yesterday -- mornings are to be like -- before the bell ring in a boxing ring -- kiss me g'morning - ask me if I rested well, do I want a refill on my coffee and THEN go to your neutral corner until my quiet time is over with . . LOL*~
I mean really - who in their right mind wants to talk about last nights gun control conversation 1st thing in the a.m. . .

well, its a day off to the store this morning - to get some yummy food for tonight -
will spend the evening at my sisters place - at midnight we all good outside and look towards the heavens
and wish my Dad a Happy Birthday *knot in throat*~ . . my Dad passed away 5 years ago yesterday - he was 2 days shy of
his 81st B-day -- we all use to call Dad at Midnight to wish him Happy Birthday and Happy New Years - sometimes it was
really tough getting through the phone line - as there were 6 of us kids trying to call him 1st . L*~ . .

Oh Blondie -- my Mom would say --- just you wait -- as men get older they get to be more of a pain in the
butt . . . I told my Mom -- OH NO it's the almighty PARENTAL curse *rolling eyes*~

well I have to get in gear and get started on things

everyone have a Safe New Years eve -- see ya next year :)

Diane :)

Jean Sewing Machine
December 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM
Happy new year! Hope all your dreams come true in 2013!

Sandy Navas
December 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
It's funny - never grew up with any New Year's traditions. Did know a family that always had oyster stew for New Year's Eve. We are truly not a traditional family. Al and I will probably be in bed before 9 p.m. and treat it as just another day in the lives of us wunderbar peeps.

I am still giggling over the cannon with the beer can fodder. We do have a neighbor who has a fireworks license and he always sets of a tremendous roar - sometimes he practices for a couple weeks before the big day. Given there are two huge all-year-round fireworks places within a mile of us you can imagine that by now we are used to all the noises for the different celebrations.

Al and I are having breakfast with the estate sale group that I've started working with. A great way to end the year. Hopefully she'll have many sales lined up for 2013. It will be good for Al to meet all the neat friends I've made.

I do pray that the New Year will be filled with SANITY. Pray with me.

mamaquilt
December 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all the quilting ladies on this forum for their nice comments, advices and laughter they gave me throuout the year.
I whish all of you for 2013

EVERYTHING AND NOTHING:

Everything that makes you happy , healthy and successful
Nothing that hurts you, displeases you and so on.

Michèle from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

@Lenie, I'll come over on the nighttrain and taste some of your "ollies" and "applecookies"

twnkeyes
December 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hi All!

I'm watching the news and am soooooo tired of hearing about the fiscal cliff then they come one and say Congress has been given a raise! I say throw them all off the cliff! As Blondie says, "Oy!"

Mother has been here for two weeks and is going home on Thursday. I love having her visit from Missouri but OMGosh, the woman can talk!!! About anything and everything!!! I know it's loneliness so I'm gently hinting that she move closer to us here in Texas. She loves our ranch and the small town we live close to and our church folks. I think she's actually thinking about a move. My sister lives close to her but has a demanding husband and 2 young children so her time is very limited with Mom. Keep your fingers crossed. Oh, and my husband thinks it's a really good idea. What a kind man he is!

Anyway, I sure hope 2013 brings me more time to quilt! My time has not been my own for so many months that I, too, am thinking like Blondie. A hotel room and my machine and I'd be good.

Have a very happy, safe New Year's Eve everyone. Talk to you next year!

MayinJerset
December 31st, 2012, 11:34 AM
Al and I are having breakfast with the estate sale group that I've started working with. A great way to end the year. Hopefully she'll have many sales lined up for 2013. It will be good for Al to meet all the neat friends I've made.

Sandy, sounds like a good plan. Do you find once men retire they don't keep up with old working pals and usually meet new people through our groups and activites? My DH knows all of the quilters I meet through my Guild's small groups, the ones I meet in Lancaster and at retreats, doesn't remember their names but recognized them when he see them. He mets with is old work pals for a Christmas breakfast and that's it.

Also, we didn't have any NY's tradtions growing up. Only thing I can think of is that my Grandfather (my father's father) stayed up with us on NYEve while we older kids played Bingo, mother usually went to bed early with youngest silbings and father went to the neighborhoor bar with friends. January 1 was my Grandfather's birthday and he would tell us stories about when he was a young man living in New York City back in the 19teens and 20's. He was named Gennaro - January, but everyone called him Jim. Brings a smile to my face thinking of him, he was a thin small man with olive skin and brown eyes and wore a lot of brown. DS#2 called him The Man In Brown. Anyway, Grandpa was great to us kids, alwasy brought home a candy bar on the way home from work. He would take out his pocket knife and cut it into 4 pieces to share with my brother, sister and I. Small things that make your life a happier place.

The guy with the cannon reminded me that I was told that my materal Grandfather would shoot his pistol off at midnight on NYEve. That's one tradition I know we never followed. Don't remember him much as he died when I was about 8. May

DCM
December 31st, 2012, 11:49 AM
My mother's traditions when I was growing up -- eat pickled fish for luck (it's in a jar -- smells awful -- never tried it and never want to), put a silver dollar on the door/window sill for financial security in the coming year, can't eat any poultry on New Year's Day -- chickens scratch for their food, and don't do anything on New Year's Day that you don't want to do for the rest of the year. I think that means we all need to quilt, quilt, quilt on New Year's Day :) Have a happy and healthy 2013 everyone!

quiltingtrish
December 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm flying over to Lenie's home for tonight!
It's usually pork and sauerkraut for tomorrow's dinner, but since I made that on Saturday, that's gone. Think we will probably put in a beef roast in the slow cooker.
At midnight, the locals shoot off whatever guns they have. We live in the country and with the amount of guns being purchased the past few months around the country, I'm sure we will hear more than usual. Of course there is also the fireworks. I'll be home alone - DH is going to spend time with his brother, the boys have plans with friends, and so do the girls. It will be nice and quiet here with me, the dog, and 3 cats - just the way I like it.
I am planning on sewing tonight and tomorrow. I've heard, too, that whatever you do on the 1st day of the New Year will continue through the next months following. Why jinx that? haha.
Have a happy one no matter what your plans. May this next year be a good one for all. No hurries, no worries, and lots of quilting.
Hugs,

SuzyQue
December 31st, 2012, 12:14 PM
The snow has just begun in my little corner of the world. It is falling fast and furious, but no wind, so that is a good thing! The flakes are just medium sized, no big beauties, but it feels good to be inside and know that we have not a place to go today! We will stay home and stay in! We will spend the day playing games, reading, watching tv or movies, laughing and talking, and yes, I hope to sew a bit, too! We have no traditions for the day or the evening, just take it as it comes. Here's wishing you all safety, good health, wealth, and much happiness in the New Year!

Lonna
December 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

Quite day here have to work until 2. Then run to pay a bill then to Hobby Lobby for some fabric and then home. This evening we will either play Yatzee or Farkel, eat a few snacks, have a few drinks and then off to bed. We may or may not make it to see the ball drop. Even if we don't make it we will know when the New Year arrives as they sell firework here and our neighbors all seem to buy and set them off. Tomorrow we will have Ham, blackeyed peas, and cabbage then on the second it will be like every other year and start that ugly four letter word "diet".

Wishing you all a wonderful, safe, and healthy New Year. I am truly thankful for all my newfound friends here.

MRoy
December 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Good Morning and Happy New Year's Eve! We'll be having chili here tonight unless DH fries some of his country ham. Pork jowl and black eyed peas are the traditional foods here and I have neither. We'll also be asleep long before the new year rings in, but that's fine with me.

I wish for health and happiness for everyone in 2013 and beyond.

BellasQuilts
December 31st, 2012, 12:55 PM
I miss eating oliebollen! Those look so good!

BellasQuilts
December 31st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Good morning. DH and I have stayed up till midnight the last two nights to get practice for tonight. We have a rotating dinner with the neighbors. I am soup and salad. Going with a Chinese theme so we will have wonton soup (which I have never made; she crosses fingers) and chinese chicken salad. Decos are all Red and Gold; Snakey things for the Year of the Snake. Hope the neighbors like it. Stay safe out there and let's bring in a happy and healthy New Year! Megan

Lenie
December 31st, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks to all the quilting ladies on this forum for their nice comments, advices and laughter they gave me throuout the year.
I whish all of you for 2013

EVERYTHING AND NOTHING:

Everything that makes you happy , healthy and successful
Nothing that hurts you, displeases you and so on.

Michèle from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

@Lenie, I'll come over on the nighttrain and taste some of your "ollies" and "applecookies"

Michèe, your totally welcome!

Lenie
December 31st, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm flying over to Lenie's home for tonight!
It's usually pork and sauerkraut for tomorrow's dinner, but since I made that on Saturday, that's gone. Think we will probably put in a beef roast in the slow cooker.
At midnight, the locals shoot off whatever guns they have. We live in the country and with the amount of guns being purchased the past few months around the country, I'm sure we will hear more than usual. Of course there is also the fireworks. I'll be home alone - DH is going to spend time with his brother, the boys have plans with friends, and so do the girls. It will be nice and quiet here with me, the dog, and 3 cats - just the way I like it.
I am planning on sewing tonight and tomorrow. I've heard, too, that whatever you do on the 1st day of the New Year will continue through the next months following. Why jinx that? haha.
Have a happy one no matter what your plans. May this next year be a good one for all. No hurries, no worries, and lots of quilting.
Hugs,

And I would love you to come over too, Trish. Take your sewing machine, cause that's what the plan is for me too, tomorrow!

Lenie
December 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM
I miss eating oliebollen! Those look so good!

So, why not come over too?

Carolyn23
December 31st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Thankfully, Chicagoland will have nice weather for NYE. So tonight we will get together with all the friends with whom we always spend NYE. We will start with an early dinner at Macaroni Grill. Then it is off to the movies. I guess this year it will be the recent James Bond movie. (Not my pick). Then it's back to our house for games and chit chat. It's always a fun night!

Mimi2boys
December 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM
I enjoy your postings. We too are staying in. A group usually gets together at someone's house but not this year. We are actually looking forward to being home. We are not big party animals -- lol. Our daughter's family is coming over for munchies/treats/appetizers but with 3 little ones it may be an early evening. We are in California and may celebrate by New York time! That's fine with us.

Today will just be a relaxing one and hopefully fitting in some sewing time.

GrammaBabs
December 31st, 2012, 01:53 PM
Love and hugs to you all,, by the time i get to the "morning welcome etc".. it's "noon",,, I take this retired stuff very seriously,,,LOL
BUT,,, after almost 10yrs. of having lived here in my corner of heaven,,,, (the retirement com. i dragged DH kicking and screaming to)... he is finally really beginning to enjoy it all... we have what i call a "table of 8" , consists of 1 couple that graduated with us from HS... they moved in,,, another we found that went to same HS and actually "played together" in their formative years... and one other that coached Little League with my DH,,, so imagine our surprise when one day i turned around and said,,,"Judy".... this was almost 30yrs. later, and you'd think it was last week... we all have a blast together...
Bill and i never do groups... NYE had become me making a prime rib /shrimp/wine dinner.. and watching the Times Square deal alone with a little TLC to ring it all in....
Tonight for the 1st time we are going to theClubhouse here at Oakpoint... with a group that we remember from "back in the day",,, when "Old Time Rock n Roll" gets played i will be on the floor trying out my new hip!! Dancing is something i miss dearly,,, used to teach dancing back in the day,, so watch out world... (Tomorrow i may not wake up, but what the heck!!!)...
2013 is going to be a year of "sewing room clean up" and "better eating".... keeping my fingers crossed...!
I LOVE you all and will think of you when that clock strikes 12and i'm giving Mr. Bill his HNY kiss and Hug!!! Barbara

Sandy Navas
December 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Anyone have some cheap tickets available for a round-trip ticket to The Netherlands? Several of us need to go share treats with Lenie.

Don't those look wonderful???????

Jean Sewing Machine
December 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Missouri is getting snow for NYE! Wonder how this will impact our celebrations? It may turn to rain before nightfall, but right now, it looks like a serious snow event.

Claire Hallman
December 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Your snow is evidently our rain. I do remember one NYE that we had an unprecedented 8" to 12" of snow, I was a teen and it was the most exciting NYE ever for me.
I hope we all have a safe NYE and a wonderful new year with health and happiness for all.

Lisapc
December 31st, 2012, 02:54 PM
We eat Chinese takeout and watch a good movie. If we can get our son to bed at somewhat a decent time then hubby and I will have a drink and cuddle time.

Wishing all of us a Happy New Year!

aliaslaceygreen
December 31st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Good afternoon.... home today and tomorrow and not really using the time wisely, although I DID fold some laundry!!!
DD is sick and home too...we are going to stay IN and will probably be in bed before the ball... DH works till midnight...

The only tradition I had as a teen was to babysit...big money that night!!! A NY'er for 37 years, I have never been to Times Sq on NYE and have very little desire to ever do so....

I wish for a happy, safe and healthy new year to all!!

EnumclawGramma
December 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Good Morning and Happy New Year. I have more to do today than I have time for, but I'm going to give it a good try. Laundry and ironing being at the top of the list, followed by taking the tree down. We have freezing temps today and the sky looks like snow but....nothin'!

For the past several years New Years Day has meant black eyed peas, hamhocks and greens. I was told it's for prosperity in the New Year. Not too sure how well it's worked but we'll most likely do it again!

We will most likely stay in as well tonight. Safer that way. Spend some time with my daughter and her boyfriend by the fire, have a glass of wine (or two) and maaaaaaaaybe make it till midnight. I slept in today so chances are good!

DH has been on vacation for the last 18 days and I'm not gonna lie....I will be glad when life returns to normal! ;)

Hugs and Prayers all around! Thank you all for making this a wonderful quilty friend making swap joining idea sharing wonderful kinda year!

sewbizzy
December 31st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Happy New Year's Eve everyone!!!
I have our roaster on already cooking pork, kielbassa, hot dogs, and sauerkraut...will also make mashed potatoes...it has always been my favorite meal...
we are so looking forward to 2013...we have had so many health problems this year of 2012...hope and pray the next year will be better...
our youngest son's mil passed away this past Saturday after a long battle with cancer...funeral was this morning...so much sadness for that family...they will all miss her...she was a wonderful woman and only 69 years old...
We have about 5 or 6" of snow on the ground here from last week...it's so pretty to look outside...
dh and I will be watching football or movies today...I will do some cross stitch and cleaning up...
Hugs and Blessings to you all!!!

Sew Perfect
December 31st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Greetings To All!

I will be ending 2012 with my DH and our friends. We will be having pie and coffee while playing the game, Mibourne, then once the clock strikes midnight, have a toast with a glass of wine, then turn into a pumpkin.

Everyone, have a great day and make it count! Happy New Year to all and I pray it will be better than 2012.

shannonsaulter
December 31st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Well Happy NYE Day to all..for me staying home last day off then back to work! I dont go party not worth it..if I wanna drink I'll do it in the comfort of my home...Hope everyone has a great day my DH had a 3 hour drive today and is working 9 1/2 hours then a 3 hour drive home so hes gonna be a tired one when he gets here...
Stay safe all and I am looking forward to a wonderful 2013

janluna
December 31st, 2012, 04:07 PM
The one thing my Grandmother always did, was to take a loaf of bread, and either a jar of change, or pop bottles (signifying money because you could redeem them) out to the garage during the day light hours. Then the next day, Jan. 1st, the first thing she did was to go out and retrieve everything and bring it back inside the house. It had to be the first items to cross the threshold of the house. That way, there would always be food, (bread) and enough money, (the coins or bottles) to pay the bills and any emergency's that could happen in the New Year. She did that every year come heck or high water. Grammie was a wonderful women, so we always went along with her little superstitions. You also could never place a man's hat on the bed, because it brought bad luck or death to the family. No black cats were allowed in her house. You were not allowed to walk under a ladder. She didn't care if she walked on the "cracks" in the sidewalk, as her Mom was already with Jesus, therefore you couldn't "break her back." She wouldn't let us walk on any though, because our Mothers were still alive. She had a superstition for every month or holiday. I asked her once, "Grammie, you are a devoted Christian, why wouldn't you just ignore the superstitions and put your faith in God?" She replied, " I'm covering all the bases, this isn't Heaven you know, the devil plays on the earth." She was one of the loves of my life. So, for Grammie, I take a loaf of bread, and some change, and put it outside on my porch. And, the first thing I do on New Years Day, is to retrieve them, so they are the first things to cross our threshold. And then I say, for you Grammie, we are protected. "As for me and my house, we will serve The Lord." But we remember to honer my Grandmother every year.
God Bless you all and may the New Year of 2013 be a Blessed, Healthy, Prosperous one. God Bless you and keep you and your families in the palm of His hand, and close to His heart.
Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

toggpine
December 31st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Jan that was great! I'll have to give that a try. Can't hurt.

Hubby "prepared" the turkeys for smoking. He asked me if I wanted the carcass. Figuring that I'd have the backbones I said "Sure, I'll toss them in the freezer and make soup with them later." I have no idea what that man did to those turkeys, but I have most of the turkey skeletons and they are still loaded with meat. It must have been too hard for him to quarter them like I do when he smokes the chickens.
So I now have my 4 gallon stock pot on the stove with two turkey carcasses (cut down to fit) veggies and spices simmering on the stove. I see turkey soup and turkey & noodles in our future and probably in the freezer too!
That certainly sidetracked my sewing. Now we are making a run into town for the right "flavor" of wood chips for the smoker (not really complaining, 'cause it's tasty when he's done) & propane, picking up the last minute gift for a 10 year-old cousin, and swinging by the library to P/U a book on hold.
Hopefully the black-eyed peas will finally plump so I can get them cooking.

Thanks for all of the help, advice, and laughs this past year my quilty friends! I can't wait to see what 2013 brings for us! (Hopefully lots of fabric & time to sew it!)
Happy New Year to you all!
Hugs, Cathy

Blondie
December 31st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Lenie, your OIlibollen looks like my aeplskivers!

janluna
December 31st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Well Cathy, we have always had enough!! So it must work....Right?? LOL Have a great New Year, dear one! And enjoy all that turkey soup. We are having Pork Chops with dressing and a vegetable. We have had way too many sweets this year. One of Joe's fabricators bought us a homemade cheese cake for Christmas. I have had a lot of cheesecake over the years, but this was the best I have ever had. It was amazing! Notice I said WAS???? We shared but we ate way too much of it ourselves.
Today is a sad day. They held the last (hopefully) funeral from the Monster that shot firefighters when they tried to put out the house and car fire that the guy started. Both of the survivors left the hospital and went by ambulance to the calling hours for their fallen brothers. Now, Ted, has been placed back on the guarded condition list at the hospital. We are praying hard for him. Joe, the other survivor is in satisfactory condition. They don't know yet, if their injuries will prevent them from continuing their careers. The young man, they buried today was only 19 years old. My son had to narrate the funeral alongside the local news anchor on Ch 8 in Rochester. He knew all 4 victims. Actually, there were two police officers that took shrapnel as well but were treated and released. Joey knew them too. I swear he has aged another 10 years this week. Please pray for the victims, their families, the West Webster Fire Dept. and the Police Dept. as this will take a long time getting over for all of them. Feel free to say a small prayer for Joey too as this has hit him hard as well. Especially after this morning, watching all the photos of Tomaz Kaczowka who was so very young. Joey is at work now, and dealing with all the details of the visiting firefighters, first responders, and law enforcement who came from all over the USA and Canada. This morning they filled a large cathedral and a high school that had a closed circuit connection to the funeral. They figured between 5000 and 7000 people were in attendance. It was a very beautiful service. As Tomaz was Polish, it was done in both Polish and English. And Bishop Matthew Clark lead the service. Needless to say, it has been a very emotional two days. God Bless, Jan L.

middlesis1966
December 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Good afternoon all! It's been a mixed bag of stuff for me today. I'm doing a little of this and that today. No pressure to really get anything done, so now it's time to chill. I have almost all of the Christmas decorations put away. It doesn't take me long because a few years ago, I got rid of a ton of things, so now I just have the one's that really have the most meaning to me. I do like to leave the nativity out for a few more days, because that means the most to me.
The kids have abandoned me tonite for fun at my sissys, so it'll be a chill night for me and the hubs. At first it was going to be a family chill night, but the kids decided to do something else, that's cool with me, whew! I do have my bottle of bubbly ready to bring in the new year and my beans are soaking for tomorrow, My mom and sissies will be coming over for lunch and a few rounds of cards.
Jan I just love what your granny would do. I love hearing all the old traditions and where they came from. Thanks for sharing!
Ok true confession time. I remeber about not stepping on the crack so we would avoid them. Now here is were the naughty in me would come out. When I got in trouble (which was very often) sometimes I'd be so mad at my mom that I would go and stomp on the cracks. I know how mean of me. I do love my mom a lot, but at the time when a sore hiney (from the wooden spoon) was all I could think of at the time, is what caused me to do that. When your 5 yrs old also played a part in that thinking too.
Have a Happy and Safe New Years all!

K. McEuen
December 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I remeber about not stepping on the crack so we would avoid them. Now here is were the naughty in me would come out. When I got in trouble (which was very often) sometimes I'd be so mad at my mom that I would go and stomp on the cracks. I know how mean of me. I do love my mom a lot, but at the time when a sore hiney (from the wooden spoon) was all I could think of at the time, is what caused me to do that. When your 5 yrs old also played a part in that thinking too.
Have a Happy and Safe New Years all!

Hahaha, I think we all might have done that or changed the name from Mom to whomever you happened to be upset with at the moment. There's not a whole lot of options for an upset 5 year old and stepping on cracks seemed to be an evil payback at the time.

Ginny B
December 31st, 2012, 08:08 PM
We will be heading out to dinner shortly and then onto a neighbors'. Have a Happy New Year's Eve everyone. No cannons here but people do set off fireworks. Talk to you in 2013.

Ginny B

Divine Daisy
December 31st, 2012, 08:15 PM
An hour to midnight in Daisy World and I am getting ready to 'First Foot' my neighbours. I have my piece of coal, my new bread and the whisky ready to pour. Once my duties are done and have recieved my own First Footer, it will be bed time for us. A new year and we hope a new start for the Daisies.

Take care all of you and may your new year be everything that was good and nothing that was bad in 2012.

dizzyLiz
December 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
Just got home from work. Our get together is my DD and her boyfriend, DH, my besy friends son and his g/f are making low country boil. Then we will have a evening of games and movies with lots of food and laughter.

Love to all and wishing all a Healthy, Joyous New Year

ElaineP
December 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Happy New Year to one and all. May 2013 bring you all joy and happiness x

CrazyMtnLady
December 31st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Miss Daisy....what is "First Footer"? That is a new one for me.

lilmouse
December 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
That's a new one for me too, never heard of that one! I had to be to work at 8:00 this morning after working at Joann's till 11:30...slept through both alarms for 1/2 an hour...got up just in time for a quick cup of microwaved coffee (better than none) and get dressed and out the door. Got invited to dinner at Steve's sisters....filet mignon, greek potatoes, sweet bread and salad...and a small portion of wine after dinner (not before; would have gone straight to my head and I had to drive me and other sister home..(3 blocks away but too cold to walk). Everything was yummy; am working tomorrow at 9:00 in the morning and then I have one day off and back to the grind again...will definitely try to sew tomorrow as I want that to stay the same all year! No traditions that I grew up with other than my parents usually got drunk; so didn't want to repeat that!!!! Tonight it is just me and Sassi....Steve is on the road again...but was able to stay at home Saturday night and Sunday enroute from one destination to another; so I really can't complain. When he is next home we are going out for steak dinner...that will be lovely!
I would like to thank everyone for all the shared tips and information this past year; I feel close to so many of you; you have made me smile and giggle and laugh when no one else could! I come here often just to check in and see if I have missed anything.
My wish for everyone is:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you
And give you peace."

Numbers 6:24 - 26

Happy New Year Everyone

With love and hugs and prayers for each and everyone of you!
Susie

buckeyequilter
December 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Happy New Year's eve....stay safe out there everyone! I'm getting ready to put some snacks together and kick back and relax.

Winniesfriend
December 31st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Happy New Year every one, it is already 12 midday here on the 1st, we have a very quiet night, my hubby was in bed at 10.15pm, I stayed up to watch the TV coverage of the fireworks in Sydney, now I am working on one of my UFOs

Divine Daisy
December 31st, 2012, 11:32 PM
Miss Daisy....what is "First Footer"? That is a new one for me.

A First Footer is the first foot through the door in the new year. He/she brings good luck and warmth with a piece of coal, plenty with the bread and cheer with the whisky. It is North of England and Scottish tradition. When midnight comes and your first footer knocks on the front door, you open the back door to let the old year out and then the front door to let in the new year with your First Footer. In some traditions a First Footer must be a darkhaired man who has the wisdom of years, in others it must be a fair haired woman who must have given birth in her life. All traditions agree that a First Footer must never be a pregnant woman in case the old year takes her baby as it leaves.

Like most of these folk traditions I suspect it is based on pagan beliefs, but it means you get a chance to wish your friends a happy new year and share the warmth of your home. It is nice.

toggpine
January 1st, 2013, 12:07 AM
Well, that is a lovely tradition!
I'll be just fine as long as my "First Footer" isn't a raccoon stealing my loaf of bread and the change I just put out on the front porch to honor Jan's Grammie!

Happy New Year!