PDA

View Full Version : Gladly

Divine Daisy
December 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
When Mr Daisy was a small boy, one of the hymns they sang at school was Gladly My Cross I Bare. The Christmas he was around 6 or 7 he got a new Teddy Bear from Santa and he called it Gladly. When his mum asked why he said they sang a song at school called Gladly My Cross Eyed Bear.

Gladly was much loved, he went everywhere with the small Mr D. His eyes were somewhat crossed but that only endeared him more.

Then tragedy struck! On a ferry trip across the chanel to France Gladly was lost overboard. A grief stricken Mr D never forgot him............ hence me knowing the story 40 years later.

So secretly over Christmas I asked his Mum what colour and size Gladly was. With great stealth and conspiracy I ordered some beautiful mohair and today I drew a pattern and made a mock up. Not too bad at all, with some tweaks and alterations I think he will work. MIL also slipped me a old photo of Mr D holding Gladly. It is not the best picture of either of them I must say with poor Gladly being dangled by the leg while a small boy devours an icecream but by turning the photo, tilting my head until it nearly came off and managing to ignore the icecream smeared over them both I think I got a fairly good idea of what he looked like.

I have researched stuffing and joints, never having made a 'proper' Teddy before and once my goodies arrive I will be off! I am so looking forward to seeing Mr D's face when Glady makes his resurection! I only hope he is close enough to the origional to be recognised.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
That's such a cute idea! Be sure to phtograph Stewart under his MSQC quilt holding his teddy!

MayinJerset
December 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
What a great secret idea you have. Gladly the Crossed Eyed Bear will reign again in Mr. D's heart or at least on his favorite chair. May

aliaslaceygreen
December 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
OH, what an AWESOME gift.... have a little shirt made with GLADLY printed on it for him to wear....

DCM
December 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
You are so incredibly thoughtful and creative. I'm sure he will treasure his new Gladly. Someone on the forum makes tiny bears (and other animals) -- maybe he/she could give you some advice about the joints of the bear if you have any questions after receiving the goodies you ordered. Mr. D is a very lucky man!!

bkthomas
December 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
What a divinely thoughtful plan! Can't wait to see it!

kelliedi
December 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM
briarbear( or is it bearbriar) makes the tiny bears and she lives on your side of the pond, she may be able to help if you get stuck. Not that you will need help....anywho...I think it is a most wonderful idea and just shows how you love him and really listen to what was important to him. Let us know the final result and Mr. D's reaction

EnumclawGramma
December 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh Ms Daisy! This was the smile to start my day! What a wonderful loving idea! I can't wait to see how Gladly comes back. Please .... a picture with the quilt is a must!

Meli
December 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Daisy, you're amazing! Mr. Daisy is going to love it!

SuzyQue
December 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
What a wonderful, thoughtful gift. I am sure he will recognize him and be so happy that you thought of it! I can't wait to see pics!

K. McEuen
December 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM
What a fun idea. Of course if it were me, I might have to present the new Gladly wearing a little bear sized life preserver. I mean after all, he had to survive somehow.

BTW, the one that makes the tiny bears is Briardog.

Madeforyouinma11
December 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
That is a really sweet thing to do....can't wait to see pics!

Bailey65
December 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Oh what a thoughtful thing to do! You truly are an amazing person. I would love to see his face when he gets it.

toggpine
December 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Even if he isn't an exact replica of the original Gladly, he will have been made with enough love to compensate for any differences. I am sure Stewart will simply adore him and will love you even more.

grannyann
December 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM
You are a very special woman Ms. Daisy.I so enjoy your postings and stories and your handling of trouble times for you and Mr. Daisy.
May God continue to bless you and Mr. Daisy with many many more happy years together.Keep the stories and postings coming because I know we all enjoy reading your words.

Blondie
December 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Now this is another affirmation of why I love you so.

When Mr Daisy was a small boy, one of the hymns they sang at school was Gladly My Cross I Bare. The Christmas he was around 6 or 7 he got a new Teddy Bear from Santa and he called it Gladly. When his mum asked why he said they sang a song at school called Gladly My Cross Eyed Bear.

Gladly was much loved, he went everywhere with the small Mr D. His eyes were somewhat crossed but that only endeared him more.

Then tragedy struck! On a ferry trip across the chanel to France Gladly was lost overboard. A grief stricken Mr D never forgot him............ hence me knowing the story 40 years later.

So secretly over Christmas I asked his Mum what colour and size Gladly was. With great stealth and conspiracy I ordered some beautiful mohair and today I drew a pattern and made a mock up. Not too bad at all, with some tweaks and alterations I think he will work. MIL also slipped me a old photo of Mr D holding Gladly. It is not the best picture of either of them I must say with poor Gladly being dangled by the leg while a small boy devours an icecream but by turning the photo, tilting my head until it nearly came off and managing to ignore the icecream smeared over them both I think I got a fairly good idea of what he looked like.

I have researched stuffing and joints, never having made a 'proper' Teddy before and once my goodies arrive I will be off! I am so looking forward to seeing Mr D's face when Glady makes his resurection! I only hope he is close enough to the origional to be recognised.

Sandy Navas
December 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Men and their love of bears! How wonderful. Al told me he loved Teddy Bears and I told him he'd married a bear . . .

Al's favorite Aunt who lives in NYC was married to a most wonderful man. When he passed she sent his Teddy Bear collection to us for the DGDs. He had seven or eight and each night before going to bed he would take the miniature sword from Toledo, Spain, and place it alongside the 'watchman' for the night. Uncle Edward was not out of his mind at all - he was one of the most amazing and fascinating intellectuals I ever had the opportunity to meet. The fact that he loved his bears shows that he was super human.

Make sure you share as much of Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear as you can. What a wonderful plan you have going there.

Divine Daisy
December 29th, 2012, 04:56 PM
What a fun idea. Of course if it were me, I might have to present the new Gladly wearing a little bear sized life preserver. I mean after all, he had to survive somehow.

BTW, the one that makes the tiny bears is Briardog.

Brilliant Karen as always.......... now what does a life jacket look like again...............? Wanders off to research that.

kelliedi
December 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
or one of those round life saver thingys

janluna
December 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
This is going to mean so much to Mr. D. You are a wonderful, loving, Lady DD. Hugs, Jan L.

bakermom
December 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM
What a sweet thing to do!

pcbatiks
December 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Well Ms Daisy.........you have done it again.....you made me laugh, smile and get a little misty-eyed reading Mr D's story and your wonderful idea! That bear will mean so much to him. Maybe you could have a restored reprint made of his childhood picture with Gladly and put it in a frame with a picture of Mr D's reaction when you give him the new Gladly! Love the life preserver idea........don't you just love how we keep adding things to your project!

Can't wait to see a picture of Mr D with his new Gladly bear...............he will be so proud of you and his bear!

RockyMountainHorseMama
December 30th, 2012, 01:18 AM
:lol:What a WONdERFuL surprise and gift! I surely wish you'd share the pic though, I bet it was adorable! Can't wait to see Teddy :icon_bigsmile:

shannonsaulter
December 30th, 2012, 01:31 AM
This is just such a great post...how wonderful!!! Keep us posted..

BellasQuilts
December 30th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Amazing and so very thoughtful. I want to see his face when he gets it, so be sure to post pics!

phoots
December 30th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Daisy, that is such a thoughful gift your your hubby! I hope he is feeling better!

Pam in Vegas

Winniesfriend
December 30th, 2012, 03:43 AM
What a lovely idea.

madampolo
December 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM
How touching! We will definitely need pictures!

CrazyMtnLady
December 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a wonderful gift to be making. I am sure you will make a beautiful bear and Mr. D. will be thrilled with the thoughtfulness of your gift. Can't wait to see it.

Poppytree
December 30th, 2012, 10:45 PM
What a lovely idea Ms Daisy - I'm sure he'll treasure it. (Does Gladly actually have crossed eyes?)
............ just in case I don't get on here for a while - Happy New Year to you both

Sondra
December 30th, 2012, 10:54 PM
This story made me squeal with glee......tragic and such and endearing story. I simply cannot wait to see pictures of the new Gladly. I really think you and Mr. D need to market this bear to Christian Book Stores. I want one.

Cat n bull
December 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ms Daisy you are one special Lady.

That is SO SWEET!!!

Sondra
December 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM
look on Amazon.com......there is a Children's book with this title.

nana margaret
December 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM
Such a lovely idea, I'm sure he'll be thrilled. :)