PDA

View Full Version : A forum for Machine Embroidery..

GrammaBabs
December 27th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think some of you may have received or are planning on the purchase of an Embroidery Machine... Having pretty much "burned myself out" of it, but still remembering the thrill of when i first got mine...I wanted to pass along a site that really is fun and a big money saver...
The new machines probably come with"conversion options"... or something similar, but when i began,, it was about 100 dollars for a "disk" or set of designs... It didn't take me long to find some places on the net where designs were available for free...NOW there are so many,,,, and Lord knows my computer is "full" of freebies,,, and i have to say, i've used a LOT of them.. they helped me grow and understand my machine... without breaking the bank...
Anywhooooo.... i just checked, and "Sewforum",which is a wonderful place for almost everything, with lots of beginning and veteran digitizers... has tons of stuff you can download for free,,,(alphabets, applique,,etc.... you can even go "back" and find things from years back... the section that says "Free Embroidery Designs" is my favorite for just that
You can visit the AllBrands website (many of you visit there i know)... but up in the top righthand corner i think, of the home page is the word "SewForum" somewhere... just create a password and then don't "curse" me too much..LOL
Enjoy!!!!! :icon_razz:

Jean Sewing Machine
December 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I remember those days of the $100 disks, I had quite a few of those collections. They were beautifully digitized I will say that for them. I'm kind of burned out on it also, but use my embroidery machine for quilt labels, or occasionally some quilt blocks. My machine is 10 years old and can use today's designs, but I'm sure the transfer protocol has improved a lot in the decade that has past.

GrammaBabs
December 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Exactly Jean.... mine was purchased with a little money left when my Dad passed... i still think of him whenever i walk into my sewing room.... back then it was a real splurge to spend about 4grand!!!! yikes... I love my Designer I... but have never "sewn" with it...LOL... it sits for ME only,,, but has never failed me...I've done all the upgrading i'll ever do... there is only so much more i need it for,,i am determined to try to organize what i have and use from within.... getting too close to NEVER using up what i have!!! LOL

buckeyequilter
December 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I signed up for the forum. I had to refresh that security code 3 times until I found one I could almost read. Thanks for the link, I think *lol*

Patrice
December 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Oh my oh my..I should not have seen this

quiltingtrish
December 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the information. I have embroidery on my machine and I AM going to try it out in 2013. I've only had the machine for 2 years. (Procrastinator?) I wrote the information down so I can find it when I need it. I promise you won't hear me cursing you. :)
Hugs,

a1angiem
December 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Guess what I got for Christmas, Gramma? An embroidery machine!!!! I have a LOT to learn...but you know I love that! I'm so excited to try it out and get some files for it. I need a few things to get started but my birthday is in a few days and i have to wait to see if there is anything else given to me before i go shopping! i DID order some thread though!!! ;) I will definitely check out your site & info! tfs...

CrazyMtnLady
December 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I am wanting an embroidery machine so bad I can taste it. I am going to bookmark that site just for the anticipation of getting a machine.

grannyann
December 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have been a member of sewforum.com for many years and like this forum it is a wealth of information on there. I have recommended that forum to many who have questions or having trouble with embroidering on thier machine or just need some free designs. Also there is sewing, quilting, crochet etc. So there is something for all on there.Like here thier members are a great bunch who will help you solve a problem if they can.

madampolo
December 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I got one a couple of weeks ago. I love it, but I also love the way it sews. What I don't love is the trouble it takes to switch over to embroidery. You have to change the foot using the screw method, and that is a pain to do. Those of you that have dedicated embroidery machines are wise ones. I would set my new one up for embroidery only but that would make me need to use my old machine for sewing, and I don't want that. Thanks for the forum information.

P.S. Oh, Babs. I am going to have a career downloading things from this site!

Jackiejs
December 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I have had 3 embroidery machines in the last few years. I love The Sew Forum site!
Have gotten some good info from it.

Sandy Navas
December 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I have belonged to Sew Forum also for years . . . love it but since I started quilting I don't visit much at all.

If I may caution everyone who looks for embroidery designs - don't do as I did. I downloaded what seems like trillions of designs - every site I found with freebies were archived, downloaded, unzipped . . . the the tune of many hours computer time and many gigabytes of hard disk space. Even though I started out with a wonderful filing system it is almost impossible to find some of the designs I know I have. So,

1) make sure the site you download from is safe (Sew Forum is and there are many others although not every site is safe)
2) make sure the digitizer is a good one - many designs are crappola and it shows inexperience in digitizing
3) learn what designs you can and cannot use with your machine and avoid others (i.e., often if you download a zipped file you will find every format available . . . you don't need to save these)
4) if you download something complicated, make certain you keep the instructions with the actual embroidery file
5) rename your files so you can easily find them later
6) there are several filing systems already set up that help you organize your files - find one and use it consistently
7) always take time to test stitch a new design before putting it on something special - this will save a lot of grief
8) don't run out and buy every color thread available until you have an opportunity to find out what thread your machine really likes
9) don't feel as if you can only use the colors suggested by the designer - use what fits your needs
10) learn which stabilizer works best for the fabric you are stitching on
11) if an offer for multiple designs seems too good to be true, it certainly is
12) be cautious of designs from foreign sites - many have copyright infringement issues and they will apply to you if you are caught

HAVE FUN!!

buckeyequilter
December 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the tips Sandy. I used to download a lot of designs just because I like them and now I can't find half of them. Now I wait until I want to embroider and go look for what I want - it's just easier that way.

GrammaBabs
December 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Aha.... another site for you girls....Stitches in Motion...they have "filing"and conversion programs for very little money.... when i got a new computer my customizing from Hus,, would not work with my program... DH forgot to check that.. so i have an old one set up for that,,, but don't always like to boot up another one just for using my ME.... this site allows me to convert, almost anything AND I can do some alphabets that are fonts on my computer...the coversion is just as good,,,
OH and check out Allstitch for stablizer... they will send you for free a sample of all their product... with info..i love the precut,,, no fiddling for cutting and very inexpensive...
Something else to consider... starting out... DON'T dive right into the really dense stuff... learn how your machine works,, get used to it...
Having an external hard drive makes things easier as well... just a little box that is separate... ONLY for designs, PDF's for quilting, knitting and crochet... (did i saY ONLY???? it's a lot of stuff).... and YES always extract/unzip and rename rightaway and delete the zip file..cuts way down on confusion....:lol:

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Lots of great information. Those zipped files are a bit of a hassle but I guess it is necessary to do it that way. I sometimes spend an hour or more just unzipping and deleting, moving things around. My own system ain't perfect so I do lose things, too. I have so many freebies that it will be a long time before I buy any more designs.

Madeforyouinma11
December 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all of this wonderful information! I will be checking on those sites, that's for sure! I have quite a few designs...I have an "embroidery" file that has sub files, like babies, Easter, Christmas and so on. As soon as I download a file, I unzip it and put it into the correct sub file and delete the original. It takes a couple minutes but well worth it so that I don't lose it and don't have doubles and I know where it is when I want it.
Sandy has many helpful suggestions. Wish I had her check list when I was starting.
I would like to do more embroidery projects in 2013.
Thanks again!

Lisapc
December 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have had my machine for 4 years now. Hubby paid for all of the software whistles and most of feet. I was and am so grateful that my machine reeds many different formats. 4k, never would have happened but I love what I have.

Cat n bull
December 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'll have to check that site out! I put embroidery aside for a bit, but am now getting sucked back into it. I just got a new (to me) second machine, and can sew while my #1 machine is stitching out embroideries! Makes embroidery LOTS more fun....:D

I have some pretty nice (but complicated) software for embroidery, I can see 2D and 3D versions of the designs to see how they'll look, and see and edit stitch by stitch, and it's super easy to save my designs in one place to find them later. (It took me a LONG LONG time to figure out how to save them where I could find them again!) :lol:

Madampolo: do you HAVE to undo your embroidery to sew on your machine? I can sew with my embroidery unit attached, if I didn't have a table to set my machine into I wouldn't bother taking the embroidery unit off.

janluna
December 29th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Some of the new machines are putting quilting patterns into use. I have a very very basic Brother embroidery machine and haven't used it in a long time. It doesn't do very big designs. I was looking at the Janome 12000 and thought Wow! If they continue adding stuff for quilters, it may get me interested in getting a machine like that. We'll see, however, I don't see me ever affording a Janome 12000. I don't know the price, but I am sure it is in the Thousands, closer to 15,000 than 3,000. So, that means never!!! lol I was wondering if any of you are going in that direction? In my way of thinking, you might as well get a long arm with all the capabilities of say, Jenny's long arm. She has a computer on hers with unlimited design patterns. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought about that kind of machine. You can sew anything on the 12000, not just embroidery. Hugs, Jan L.

buckeyequilter
December 30th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I have a Brother machine and it's only a 4 x 4.....but I have a birthday coming up.....think I'll go look at embroidery machines. I really do like machine embroidery - probably because there's not much to do, the machine does it.

Genny
December 30th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I too love my embroidery machine. Some of my favorites are...Embroidery Library, Designs By JuJu, Bunnycup Embroidery and I absolutely love Hatched In Africa. Bunnycup Embroidery has lots of retired sets that are free. I don't store my designs on my computer, I save them to an external hard drive and keep a list of the designs and pics of them on paper in a folder. Then when I want to embroidery I use my embroidery software to open the design I want to use and save it on an embroidery stick to transfer it to my machine.

K. McEuen
December 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM
A high end Gammill with the computer and all the bells and whistles starts at someplace close to $25,000.00, so not exactly a good "instead of" comparison. (This is in response to Jan Luna's post.)

Mimi2boys
December 30th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I am new to the embroidery machines having bought a Ruby in September. I appreciate the info and plan to check it out.

Sandy Navas
December 30th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all of this wonderful information! I will be checking on those sites, that's for sure! I have quite a few designs...I have an "embroidery" file that has sub files, like babies, Easter, Christmas and so on. As soon as I download a file, I unzip it and put it into the correct sub file and delete the original. It takes a couple minutes but well worth it so that I don't lose it and don't have doubles and I know where it is when I want it.
Sandy has many helpful suggestions. Wish I had her check list when I was starting.
I would like to do more embroidery projects in 2013.
Thanks again!

I wish I had had my check list when I was starting, too!!!

grammakim04
December 31st, 2012, 02:10 AM
I have a Babylock EMP9 and I love it. I've had it for a couple of years now and use it alot. I do quilt blocks on it, table runners, quilt labels, baseball hats, tshirts and tons of other stuff on it. Do lots of work for various charities with it.

Love what you posted Sandy. You have to be so careful with the "freebies" you download and watch the copyrights.
I have all my designs on an external hard-drive and transfer the designs on a stick to my embroidery machine.

Just starting to learn to quilt on my embroidery machine, always something new to learn.

Kim