PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, back to work day

Blondie
December 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Good Morning from NC and Happy Thursday folksies!

I am really really really really really trying to think of what fun I am going to have at work today. It isn't really the folks I will be seeing and "duding" up. It is merely the thought of that nasty 4 letter word. In all honesty, I have a big confession to make! I thought that Christmas felt like a Sunday. You know what I mean, all the family sitting around, eating some of Mom's delicious pies, ironically shoving ham in our piggie mouths. At sometime during the day, it occured to me that it was Tuesday and that meant I would not be able to really enjoy a few more days off. Of course I had yesterday off but by then I had the Wednesday got to go to work Thursday blues. Oh well, slap me silly and call me Aunt Huffie. I don't know what that means but my Granny always said that when she was disgusted with someone or something, like herself. So, off to work for a bit. My first standing client is out of town, so that gives me a wee bit more time to sit here slurping coffee, eating another aebleskiver - Bubby sure wish you were here! I would send you one but by the time it got to you it would be worthy to play golf with.

Hearing on the news that some people have made a biz on returned unwanted Christmas presents. I have to say I've never had one unwanted one. I mean even the gifts over the years that I wish had been NOT a Christmas gift were still a good idea and looked pretty wrapped up under the tree. Like the electric griddle my oldest one gave me when he was in high school. He was working at his first job and decided that to make prettier pancakes, Mom would need a big flat skillet. My boys love my pancakes. And then there was the year - possibly the same year that someone, I do believe it was the big fella, got me an electric knife. I remember asking distinctly if there was a Jason mask under the tree for me to wear while I chased him around the house. Silly man thought I was joking . . .
So, what is the worstest giftie you ever received that someone thought was a wonderful gift?

Tell the truth!

Hugs and blessings
Blondie

MRoy
December 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Good Morning! Blondie, I haven't been able to figure out what day it is all week. I headed back to work yesterday, then another 4-day holiday weekend coming up. I started dreading going back on Christmas Eve but it's been quiet so far and I've been able to finish some things. I can't think of one particular worst gift...DH is not good at picking out clothing, so I suspect it might be a gift of clothing from him.

I hope everyone is safe and warm today.

buckeyequilter
December 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Good morning....

My days are off too. I will be going to work but waiting for daylight so I can see what's out there. I hope everyone that has to be out on the roads this morning a safe trip.

Have a great day! Prayers and hugs to all.

aliaslaceygreen
December 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I went back yesterday at 7 AM....and it was nice. The rains came heavy, and probably kept things to a dull roar. I had customers who wanted to get things framed, not who wanted me to perform free miracles in 20 minutes on their lunch. I have only two pages of orders, the UPS man and I have decided that a short break was in order (thank God, because 10-12 boxes a day was killing me)...and I got to do some very needed cleaning up.

Then, we went to see Les Miserables.... Gals, bring the hankies. Timmy snuck out early on with the excuse of buying popcorn so he could come back with napkins.

If you have read the book or seen the play in the theater, you will cry. If you have no idea what the story is about, you will cry.

I was only disappointed in Russel Crowe, which is sad because I love him, but he doesn't have the singing voice for the role of Javert, who really needs to be as powerful as John Val Jean, played by Hugh Jackman.... (but Crowe was no Pierce Brosnan, by any means...Pierce will keep that honor for YEARS)...
I work today and am off tomorrow.... and will need to do some serious organizing and quilting...after I go spend my gift card at the LQS!

ginampls
December 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
hi ya ppl!!! i have today off i have a short shift tomorrow. it is asll good. i got Abbey a sewing machine. i need to cut some squares. to do short seems and long seams.. suddenly she want to make prom dresses.. um okay..
I have made a discesion. i want to move make to Mpls.. not sure how to go about this. time to really really save money.. i want to hire a moving truck this time. and pay movers to do this.. but first find a place. a spacious 2 bedroom. wish me luck girlies i am going to need it. right now i have no space for sewing. and my family getting on my case on how raise DD is a choking hazard. long story. love you guys..

kelliedi
December 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Good morning no snow here ... yet. Worst gift my late husband gave me was a blue enamel roasting pan...no joke. Ladies please stop laughing.....I can hear you over here....

Bubby
December 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Good Morning Everyone...

All is well in my little corner of Missouri...all the bad weather passed us by.

The worst Christmas present I think I ever received was three ugly wool cardigan sweaters, all in the same horizontal pattern (wildlife) but different colors, that made me look like a barrel! I'm also allergic to wool!! DH was in Bass Pro and thought he would 'get it over with' while he was there!!! I donated them to the family center and hope someone liked them. My ex was a pro at giving me gifts that said "I can't be bothered". It wasn't that they were 'bad', just thoughtless. He didn't even wrap them...they were under the tree in the store bag.

Yesterday we got a large box in the mail from the grands filled to the rim with homemade goodies of all sorts, a framed picture of them, and a pint of marzipan sugar scrub for me from DGD. It was sweet and thoughtful. My DGS addressed the box with: Grandma Bubby, Hassell Lane, Licking, MO. No address and not a real name. My wonderful mail person thought it was for me because she thinks I'm the only grandma on the road! Only in a small town!

We are 'fooded out"...I sent the rest of the fruit salad and slaw to work with DH today and the ham is in the freezer. All that's really left now is broccoli casserole and pie. Next year no ham or turkey...

I got up at 3 this morning and have been working on some Christmas gifts for next year on the embroidery machine.

I made and mailed 12 pillowcases for the Sandy Hook School project and I'm waiting for some stabilizer to make some snowflakes. I hope it comes today.

Hugs All Around.... Barb

MayinJerset
December 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Morning Gals, Christmas on Tuesday has also thrown my schedule off but since I'm retired from paid work it doesn't matter too much just as long as I know when it's Friday as I have a lunch date with my Granny cousins. We've been putting a few dollars aside each month that we met during 2012 and are treating ourselves to a special lunch at a very old and well know restaurant in Brooklyn. Gargulio's is it's name and I've never been there. Checked out their menu on line and I think we're going to blow all of the money we've saved up but that was the idea of treating ourselves to something different or new. Last year we took a summertime evening boat ride around the bay in Jersey and New York.

Have me thinking about Christmas gifts I really didn't care for or need but like Blondie whatever I receive I somehow find a use for. One gift I was hard pressed to find a use for was the ceramic martini glass in Christmas colors. Only use for it I can think of is as a white elephant gift, you know the gag gift in gift exchanges. Then there are the clothes DH used to buy me, either too big or small but mostly too heavy. He's always cold and would buy me heavy sweaters, etc. that I would usually exchange for a lighter one. This year he got me a Kindle so that's one that's a keeper. May

CrazyMtnLady
December 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
good morning to all.
Blondie; I think my worst Christmas present was when I was around 12 my parents thought it would be cute (probably my Dad's idea) to wrap a new bra up in a toilet paper tube. It wouldn't have been so bad, except I was the only girl with 3 brothers and I looked like I was related to Twiggy at the time. I had no boobs at all and my Dad called me "Tiny Bubbles". I was so embarrassed!

Need to cut wood today. Our cold spell is suppose to last for about a week at least so we are definitely going to need more wood. I don't know how much we will get cut but at least a truck load. We use to take the truck and a small trailer and fill them both up but we are just getting to old for that much torture! We won't be going until this afternoon because DH has an auction he is watching and it isn't over until then.

I am having a hard time deciding what project to do next. I have been looking through some of my quilting books and the only thing that I have seen that has jumped out at me is a little baby blanket that is only something like 20 x 20 inches. I guess it would make a great Permie blanket or a doll's blanket. I just think it is cute. I can always add a few more blocks and make it bigger. But then Premie's need quilts too. :)

I sure would like to get to town and get a few things for New Year's Eve. It will only be DH and I and he will most likely spend most of the night on the computer (normal) but I like to have some crackers and cheeses or chips and dip and some wine. Even though we don't go out and party anymore, I still like to bring in the New Year with a bit of festive atmosphere, even if it is only festive in my mind! LOL

Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers for all in need and for all here just for good measure.

pcbatiks
December 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Good morning........don't know if I can beat the itchy sweaters, roasting pan & 1st bra! :D I'll have to think about it for awhile. Just for the record......I'm almost done with the FMQ on my MIL's quilt. Just trying to decide how to FMQ the borders. I thought about stitching lines to look like a piano key border.......but does anyone have a suggestion on how to do that without it taking forever to finish. I plan on starting at the edge of the inner border and stitching out to the edge of the quilt (it's a 3 inch border)........with lines about and inch or so apart. Can't figure out a short cut on how to keep lines straight..........any suggestions?

buckeyequilter
December 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Good morning no snow here ... yet. Worst gift my late husband gave me was a blue enamel roasting pan...no joke. Ladies please stop laughing.....I can hear you over here....

*snicker*

did I do that out loud

I can't remember a really bad gift. But one year I opened a gift from my son & his wife (a carousel with bears) and my daughter had the strangest look on her face...she got me the exact same thing. They are both displayed in my curio.

Monique
December 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Good morning friends. I have been out of the loop here. With 4 extra adults, 2 children, and two dogs it is kind of hectic around here. Everyone is still sleeping. It was a late night (early morning). I was the DD that is why I am up and they are not. It is snowing here today. Greg & Roxy and the dogs are supposed to go home for a few days today but with the weather it may not happen. I get a few days rest and then the madness starts again for new year's eve.

YOU WILL ALL BE PROUD OF ME! I have tolerated the TWO dogs. You have no idea how big a deal this is with me.

Have a wonderful day friends.

dizzyLiz
December 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Morning all,
I honestly have never had a gift I did not like. LOL. We had a wonderful Christmas. My DH and DD did great this year. I received a Rowenta iron I'd been drooling over. A light for my sewing machine, Rings that bind and New York beauty book, fabric and cash to go shopping. They went way over board. I'm a lucky lady. As for work, I worked 10 hours yesterday, and will work 10 today. I only get 1 day off between now and the 2nd. Sheesh I'm tired. I'm getting too old to work like this.

Love to all

BellasQuilts
December 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Morning all! Woke up to ants in my kitchen. So annoying. When it rains around here these spoiled little California ants think they can just move in. Hmmm, I can't think of any gift that I didn't like. This year DH got me a Floor steam cleaner and a light for my sewing room. Both I wanted, and I was with him when he got them. We never seem to surprise each other any more. Just easier to shop together since we both work and it's hard to get out since the big stores are not close to us. Happy day all!

Sandy Navas
December 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Good Morning. Off to grab 7 kids for the day since DD has a follow-up with her OB. Sure hope he takes her off the progesterone now. It makes her so sick that she is totally intolerable!! Humpf!!

Worst gift? Or strangest gift? I don't mind cords but usually don't get anything special. The grandkids didn't even fill my stocking this year. Hard times. When I was pregnant on Mother's Day Al gave me a hoe, a shovel, and a rake . . . still have the rake. One year I mentioned that I would love to make some dioramas . . . so he blessed me with a N-scale train set. We've never had the room to set it up completely and I've never made anything more than a gold mine shaft for it. Did draw a layout one time but then we moved . . .

When I was young I remember one year getting Indian blankets from Mom and Dad. One year Dad got me a whole case of ketchup - said I was the only person he knew who put a little bit of meat on my ketchup.

When DD was about 7 she told us she wanted a Hot Wheels race track for Christmas. Daddy and I thought it would be much better if we got her a doll house - the boxes were about the same size and she was excited until she opened it. She never did play with the dollhouse - it sits downstairs here and the DGDs often say they want it. We didn't find out until DD was 18 just how upset she had been so that year we got her a Hot Wheels race track.

Sometimes you just have to know the person.

Oh, then there was the year that DD was knitting up a storm and Al took her to a local yarn shop and bought close to $300 yarn for her to make me a sweater. I think I have worn it once!!! I wouldn't have picked the color nor the pattern . . . oh, vell.

Granny Judy
December 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have lots of good memories of getting the things I wanted or needed.. but life just dealt me the 'Forget Card it'.. I don't remember the BAD.. There were a few Lean years, but those gifts were "from the Heart" and made them so Special that we laugh and enjoy them still.. Notes of promises to each other and little chores done for each other.. I still like my bed made everyday

And I'm already thinking of little gifties for next year!! Just trying to prolong the fun of "giving".

It's a bit chilly here with some snow promised, but not the Blizzard that the East Coast had.. My Son (in Virginia) got my share along with his own... Merry Christmas!! *He always love building snowmen each year , so now he has all the snow he needs for His Creations*

Off to get a bath and finish a snack plate for a New Years get together.. early , but it's the only time everyone could get together. Other wise, I'm a Home-body on New Years..

Wishing all a Happier, Healthier NEW YEAR.. prayers to those in need also going out with all the good wishes.

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
What fun stories, I only remember one bad present in my lifetime. I am sure there have been others but not any that I can remember except the year I was about 11 or 12. I had selected a gorgeous [to me] necklace in the Sears wish book. It must ave been out of stock since they sent something else that was truly ugly. It crushed my preteen heart.:o

This year my DS and DIL got me a book called the Babysitters Handbook, kinda funny.:icon_heh:

CountryHut
December 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
G'afternoon everyone -- be safe and warm . .

the all time worst gift - *clearing throat*~ . . . a slide projector tray . . when I unwrapped that box - and then looked
inside -- and looked the hubby -- I said -- I think Santa put the wrong tag on this gift . . hubby said he got it for me so
he could borrow it . . WHAT?!?!?! . . . so I've been reminding him for 25+ years that he still owes me a present . . LOL*~
now I just give him a list - all he has to do is point - click and pay the bill . . *orange peel smiles*~ . .
normally he gets me everything on my list - this year he did a good job . . Waaahoooo!!!!

ya'll have a super warm and wonderful day

Diane :)

shannonsaulter
December 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM
1st I LOVE Marry Poppins!!!!!! Its my Friday and I get to enjoy another 4 days off..that means i will get my new hobby table set up in the sewing room and I will try and get most of the Christmas stuff packed away...
Hope everyone is enjoying their day and for those with snow stay safe and warm..

Madeforyouinma11
December 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone...I don't really remember a "worst gift" or even a gift that I could not find something to use it for. I'm sure if I really think about it, I will come up with one.
The weather here is just wet, and no real snow in the forecast so we'll see.
Today I have to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things, need to make meatballs and potatoe salad for a party tomorrow night. Then I need to work on gifts that are not yet finished for New Years Eve when we exchange with our friends and two quilts for the 5th when we exchange with hubby's aunt and uncle. I can't wait to have those done, then I can concentrate on cleaning up the holiday mess in my sewing room.
So many projects for 2013, both sewing and around the house...I'm really anxious to start planning them out!
I also have to start planning a baby shower for my daughter who is due the beginning of June! Thinking we will have that in April.
Well, I'm off to the store, hope everyone has a great day!
Prayers to everyone! Stay safe!

lilmouse
December 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I can't remember any bad gifts...one of my best memories is when I was oh around 12 I think, I didn't know what I wanted for Christmas...told my Mom whatever she could afford would be fine.....that year she surprised me with a camera and a watch...I felt so special! The worst gift was probably batteries to operate something!

SuzyQue
December 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Well, I am jumping on late this ....uh, afternoon. We took son and dil to the airport, then picked up my now clean sewing machine, and ran some errands. I had to pick up sale wrapping paper and gift tags, as my supply sustained a hard hit again this year. ( I forgot that those that fly, wrap their gifts on arrival) I got antsy last night, from a week of no machine, so I cut out 4 preemie quilts. I will go zip them up today. I have worked hard for over a month preparing for Christmas and then a week of entertaining......so now it is my time for a bit! The frig is full of leftovers, so I will sneak away for as long as my family allows!!!

Lisapc
December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
My parents bought hubby and I a meat slicer last year for Christmas. Still in the box. Don't know what to cook to slice with it. This year, I really wanted a table and stuff for my sewing room and hubby bought me a tablet. A very nice, highly rated 10.1 tablet but yet a tablet.

I am feeling ungrateful and I am really not. I like it but I need a table and stuff for my sewing room. I make money sewing you know! Oh well, I am whining again.