PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Marines - sad, but happy

quiltingtrish
December 27th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Odie told us tonight that he has been discharged from the Marines administratively, but it should be medically. He is going to start working on that tomorrow since they messed him up. He had a hernia operation after he was doing Marine stuff and when they went to operate and put too much mesh in, they think the mesh has somehow tangled with a nerve which is affecting his leg by going numb, has arm trouble in both arms, and back trouble. Add to that vision and headache problems. He said that is why he drove home - he is not going back to California. He is set up to start college classes in January and they are giving him 80% of the education benefits he would have been entitled to had he stayed the full 4 years. He did a little over 2 years. So, not only will those benefits pay for his college classes but they will also give him an income while he attends college.
I am happy he is home and I don't have to worry about him driving back across the country in the middle of winter and no worries he will be sent overseas, but am sad for him with so many medical problems. Him and his brother (David) are talking about moving out together which will be good for both of them and they will live closer to their jobs and college. My mind will be at ease cause I know how much they look out for each other.

Well, suppose I should go and get some sleep, I think I will get a good nights rest for once in a long time.
Hugs,

Madeforyouinma11
December 27th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that he has so many medical problems. Hopefully they are all able to be dealt with and corrected. I'm happy that he will be close to you and safe.
Everything happens for a reason so this is all part of the big plan.
Hugs and prayers. Sleep well.

HandsOffItsMine
December 27th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Prayers for Odie that his medical problems will get sorted out at the local VA Med Hospital with followup care. I'm glad to hear that he's got his college plans in place along with VA pay for going to school. With the family support, he'll be fine. I know as a Mom, you have to feel at peace that he's home. :)

Have a wonderful night sleep.

Huggers, Ruby

janluna
December 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Trish, I'm so sorry that Odie is hurting. I am glad he is home too. I know he must have mixed feelings about what has happened to him. I am very glad he has college and living expense help. We will lift him up in prayer to be healed. That mesh stuff is awful, why did they use that? All I hear on my TV is lawyers asking for victims of mesh used in surgery. Promising money with a class action suit against the mesh makers. Maybe he should check that out. Are they going to remove it from him? Sometimes, Doctors are brilliant Idiots! They get sucked into believing a product will help and then something like this happens. They have known about the mesh for over two years though. Why would they use it on Odie in the first place? That poor kid. They probably won't change his status though, or at least they will try not to. They don't want to put on paper the surgery they did was faulty. Tell him to fight it! They take our kids, mess them up, and then leave them high and dry!! Let me at em!!! Hurt our Odie, body and soul. How dare they!??! Sorry. I live in a VA town. I have transported more vets than most who were not being properly taken care of. Enough said.
Glad Odie and Katy and David were all home for Christmas time. I hope your day was wonderful. Love you Trish. Merry Christmas. I hope your New Year and all of 2013 is better for all of you. Prayers are coming your way, for Odie and the rest of the family as well. Hugs, Jan L.

Bubby
December 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear Odie is having health issues and hopefully they will be taken care of. Having him closer to home and safe is a good thing and him going to college is great.

MayinJerset
December 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Oh. TJ it's good new and bad news. I know he loved being a Marine and leaving isn't what he wanted but he has made good plans for his future with college and be living closer to home and family. He has a good head on his shoulders. It's awful that he has been suffering so much from that hernia operation and we're all praying that can be reversed. Hope you did get a good nights sleep, May

CrazyMtnLady
December 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
So glad that he is home with you, but sorry for all his medical problems. I hope he can see a good doctor that may be able to correct everything.

Sandy Navas
December 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Breaking my heart, Trish. But, do make certain that Odie contacts the VA and gets a discharge exam so he can apply for disability. Al was injured in basic training (although he was able to fulfill his commitment) and still receives disability. Don't let them snowball him. It is definitely his due.

Sending special prayers that this is the best decision and that Odie has shown his strength by enrolling in classes already. Hugs to you all.

quiltingtrish
December 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
He is at the VA rep right now. If anyone can do anything, SHE can. She is awesome. If she would ever try to leave this County, the local Veterans would block her way out.

Hugs,

shannonsaulter
December 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
good to know they have a great rep..hope they get his paperwork straightened out and that they fix the mess they made

lilmouse
December 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Glad he is home; I know that puts your mind at ease; but am sorry he is having so many health issues! Will keep him in prayer and am glad he is going on to college!

sewbizzy
December 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I'm glad that Odie is home...I will keep him in my prayers that it all works out for him...I'm sure it will...Hugs and blessings

bkthomas
December 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
He is at the VA rep right now. If anyone can do anything, SHE can. She is awesome. If she would ever try to leave this County, the local Veterans would block her way out.

Hugs,

Very glad to hear this.....God Bless you and your Family!