PDA

View Full Version : Snow and more snow...

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
When I left for work at 6:30 the roads were clear and I was driving the speed limit (or maybe just a wee bit more). I was at work long enough to do payroll (about an hour). Before I got back home the road was covered and was barely able to see the lines....driving 40 mph. I got out of the car at home and then decided the snow was pretty *lol*. Now it's beginning to get deep out there.

I told my boss I was doing payroll and then leaving...he said "we're not supposed to get anything until 3 p.m." I don't know what weather channel he was listening to, he thought I was a big baby for leaving....so I hope he gets snowed in the shop by himself *lol* serve him right. The blizzard of '78 we didn't have a warning....but we got one this time.

I am out in my shop cleaning and organizing - at least as long as we have power.

MayinJerset
December 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
While it's 'nice' to have a little bit of snow around Christmas time, some of you gals are getting much too much. Happy that you are home nice and warm and safe.

We were supposed to get a lot where we were going for Christmas dinner but nothing came. I'm glad because getting up the steps to DGD's condo without any hand rails is difficult enough for me without the steps being snow packed or icy.

CrazyMtnLady
December 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Shirley, I think you must have gotten the snow I was suppose to get and never did. Which is alright with me. But the temps here are in the 30s ....looks like it is going to be another...go cut wood and split it day. The stack in the house is getting low and if it is going to stay cold we will need more wood. :( Anyone want some exercise...we could always use an extra hand at loading and stacking wood. LOL

Sandy Navas
December 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Shirley, I, too, hope your boss gets snowbound!!

That reminds me of a trip we were on when I was a teen. The whole family had been in Florida and we were in Jacksonville visiting friends when we learned of a blizzard heading toward the Mid-west. Dad had left his younger brother in charge of our farm and just knew that his brother 'didn't have enough sense . . . ' so he was anxious to get home and get the cattle put up before the storm hit.

We made it from Jacksonville to St. Louis before the snow hit and we still had many miles to go. Headed out of St. Louis a guy passes us on the highway going lickety-split, honking his horn because we were slowing him down.

I remember Dad saying something like "You $%#$%#$^&%$ fool. We'll see you soon."

About 4 or 5 miles up the road we watched the guy, dressed in a white shirt and tie and no additional protection, climbing out of a deep ditch. Dad slowed long enough to wave. There are some 'boobs' out there who can wait for help . . . your boss sounds like one.

I know, I know. Where's my Christmas spirit?

HandsOffItsMine
December 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
You have snow and we have rain...I'm hoping Obama takes it with him on the plane! He's suppose cut his $4 Million vacation short to stop the Fiscal Cliff from happening. Well, please go! We haven't seen the sun since he's arrive on our Island. The tourists are getting grumpy. lol My Fibro is getting grumby as well as my migraine and my political view. :( lol

Please be careful when driving in the snow! We have crazies here that think they are speed racers on two lanes along the coast out here in the country! When something happens we are land locked for hours, we have no way of getting around it. Not to talk about the families who lose their loved ones. So please drive carefully or better...stay be the fire with a cup of Joe or Cocoa. :)

bakermom
December 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
When I left for work at 6:30 the roads were clear and I was driving the speed limit (or maybe just a wee bit more). I was at work long enough to do payroll (about an hour). Before I got back home the road was covered and was barely able to see the lines....driving 40 mph. I got out of the car at home and then decided the snow was pretty *lol*. Now it's beginning to get deep out there.

I told my boss I was doing payroll and then leaving...he said "we're not supposed to get anything until 3 p.m." I don't know what weather channel he was listening to, he thought I was a big baby for leaving....so I hope he gets snowed in the shop by himself *lol* serve him right. The blizzard of '78 we didn't have a warning....but we got one this time.

I am out in my shop cleaning and organizing - at least as long as we have power.

I WAS going to ask where you were in Ohio cause it wasn't snowing here. Then I looked outside! It wasn't snowing 30 minutes ago when i let the dog out, now you can't see the road. I was busy cleaning up from the weekend and didn't notice it had started.
It's coming down fast and DH isn't home from hunting yet. Well, at least if he gets stuck he'll have warm clothes with him. He should be OK though. He has snow tires on the truck and sand in the back.
Now I'm glad I didn't head out too-my "car" is a van-even with weight in the back it doesn't do well in snow. It's one of those "high profile" vehicles that you shouldn't drive in a high wind. And believe me i don't if I can avoid it!

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
This was from my front door - didn't start snowing until about 7:30

cyndiofthevortex
December 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
That snow is heading directly for New England. I just hope we don't lose power. We have no woodstove and it gets chilly in our little farmhouse pretty fast. Please, God, keep the power on!

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I WAS going to ask where you were in Ohio cause it wasn't snowing here. Then I looked outside! It wasn't snowing 30 minutes ago when i let the dog out, now you can't see the road. I was busy cleaning up from the weekend and didn't notice it had started.
It's coming down fast and DH isn't home from hunting yet. Well, at least if he gets stuck he'll have warm clothes with him. He should be OK though. He has snow tires on the truck and sand in the back.
Now I'm glad I didn't head out too-my "car" is a van-even with weight in the back it doesn't do well in snow. It's one of those "high profile" vehicles that you shouldn't drive in a high wind. And believe me i don't if I can avoid it!

I live near Marion...where channel 10 said "they're getting hammered right now".

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Shirley, I, too, hope your boss gets snowbound!!

That reminds me of a trip we were on when I was a teen. The whole family had been in Florida and we were in Jacksonville visiting friends when we learned of a blizzard heading toward the Mid-west. Dad had left his younger brother in charge of our farm and just knew that his brother 'didn't have enough sense . . . ' so he was anxious to get home and get the cattle put up before the storm hit.

We made it from Jacksonville to St. Louis before the snow hit and we still had many miles to go. Headed out of St. Louis a guy passes us on the highway going lickety-split, honking his horn because we were slowing him down.

I remember Dad saying something like "You $%#$%#$^&%$ fool. We'll see you soon."

About 4 or 5 miles up the road we watched the guy, dressed in a white shirt and tie and no additional protection, climbing out of a deep ditch. Dad slowed long enough to wave. There are some 'boobs' out there who can wait for help . . . your boss sounds like one.

I know, I know. Where's my Christmas spirit?

Yes my boss is a "boob" he thinks all women are big babies and unless a man tells him a blizzard is about to kick his a$$ he doesn't listen.

CountryHut
December 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
- well dang, all you lucky peeps with all that snow :| . . of course I say that while sitting here in my shorts and tank top . . *stomping foot*~ . . DARN*~ .)

no really - ya'll keep safe and warm . .but also enjoy of the beauty of it all . .

we will be heading off to the mountains at the end of January -- I'm hoping to see and play in some snow .)

Shirley -- I remember the blizzard of '78 -- I was in labor with my son *29 hours mind you*~ --
hubby (at the time-the jerk weed ) - he was at work - back when CB radios were
the big thing -- I had to find a CB buddy who had 4 wheel drive to take me to the hospital --
I can remember sweeping the snow off my japanese hue bushes - waiting for my ride . . .

we had some real bad down pours -- poof gone - done and over with in 20 minutes

Diane :)

bakermom
December 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I live near Marion...where channel 10 said "they're getting hammered right now".
OK you are SW of me, i live near Medina. I used to have an aunt that lived south of you in Marysville.

bkthomas
December 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Glad you are home.....safe and warm!

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
OK you are SW of me, i live near Medina. I used to have an aunt that lived south of you in Marysville.

I have an uncle that lives in Marysville. Snow has slowed down but DH said it's doing a big circle and will be back accompanied by wind. The only good thing about this is snow days.

Debbie MM
December 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Cleveland is getting it now, they let us work early which is a miracle we are suppose to 10 to 14 inches but winds are expected to gus up to 70 miles an hour

Musical_Starling
December 26th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Glad you made it home safe and sound :) I remember two winters ago I just put four brand new tires on my new car (purchased in August, this was the beginning of December) and I was super nervous about driving in the snow because I didn't want the car to get a scratch lol Well, someone was looking over me that morning because I watched all of these cars fly past me (even when they didn't have a passing lane) and I just thought "Yep, good luck with that buddy!" and five minutes later I'd see them off the road, cursing and swearing on their cell phones standing on the side of the road lol I worked in an office doing tech support, and we were stuffed in the center of the building in the smallest little room, no windows, so we never had any clue regarding the weather. Total blizzard, got about 15-20 cm of snow while I was at work. So I almost literally crawled home, doing between 10 and 20 km/h, my car fishtailing every time I took a turn. But thankfully I was one of the only morons out in that weather, so I had the whole road practically to myself lol I can't imagine the poor buggers who think they can drive in all-season tires with our winters!

It's already been said, but I'll say it again, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE EVERYONE! It's better to get there late than never at all.

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM
When I'm going to and from work on the road I take it doesn't matter if I'm driving 35 or 75 people pass me. Well a few years back the roads were nasty and a lady behind me must have thought I was driving too slow so she went flying around me and about a mile down the road I passed her sitting in a field. I kept going because the roads were terrible and there was no place to pull over so I guess she probably had a cell phone...don't know.