PDA

View Full Version : Wed Dec 26 -

Blondie
December 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Merry Dec the 26th y'all, Happy Boxing Day and enjoy the shopping and what ever else people do on the Day After Christmas!

It was a long long long day yesterday, filled with so much good stuff that I can hardly move or breathe today. But I am managing to stuff my face with some snacking sweets from yesterday . . .
First giftie I opened while sipping my morning joe was from my SS from Down Under, our own special WendyW! She sure knows how to pack a box full of FUN. I posted pics in the SS album - Once again, Wendy, thank you for such a treasure trove of Christmas joy. Each one of us in the Spence household, all the way down to Gracie and Dinah, curtsy and say "thankee very much"!

So Christmas was a huge hit for all of us. It started out very foggy and even after the sun came out it was cool. Today is pouring rain, but, since hubs mentioned something of tornadoes in Alabama, I will look online in a bit about that. I know we have a few newer members from the lovely state of 'Bama - could y'all check in and let us know that the Red Tide folksies are okay?

Once I get my head cleared - as in a very special fresh pot of coffee, I may try to get back in here. But first I need to eat some more ebelskivers.

quiltingtrish
December 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like lots are sleeping in today and resting up from activities from yesterday. Hello everyone!
I'm sipping on my coffee too Blondie and getting ready to pull out some fabrics for a sewing day here at home. The table is cleared off so I might as well take advantage of that. By the time I am ready to sit and sew the kitten should be ready for a nap. That is essential when the needle starts flying - haha!!
Looks like a few inches of snow and then ice on top of that. Ick. Hope the oldest is home before the ice hits and hope the ice is gone before the youngest has to go out to work. It's wonderful having the middle one home - he is itching to get together with friends before he heads back out west.
Hope you all have a grand day and for those that need to work today - hope it's an easy day.
Hugs,

Bubby
December 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Blondie...Who makes ebelskivers in your family? I LOVE them and haven't had any since I moved away from my Danish friend Inge. Eat three for me, please! Drooling in Missouri.....Barb

Lonna
December 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Good Morning all,

So glad everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Well it is back to work for me I am afraid it is going to be a long day. I mean really who is going to rent a storage unit the day after christmas. And I know no one is in a big hurry to make any payments. We had rain and bad storms here yesterday and now today it is cold. I know you Northern Gals would just laugh at us but it is cold to us down here in the south. So on that note keep warm my friends and enjoy your day.

CrazyMtnLady
December 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Good Morning to you all.
Hope everyone's Christmas Day was filled with wonder and excitement and lots of goodies! We did not get any snow at all! After having it forecasted for up to 10 inches it was a bit of a let down to not even get a snowflake. I was watching the radar and as happens so many times everywhere around us was getting the snow but we had a big open area around us and didn't get anything. I don't mind it at all most of the time especially those violent thunderstorms with tornadoes. My prayers are with all the areas that were hit with the snow, or the storms and tornadoes.
Our Christmas day was very mellow. We laid around watching Christmas movie after Christmas movie. We have quite the selection of movies. Close to 1000 DVDs of all genres except horror movies..I don't like them. We do not watch much regular TV so we buy movies. There is a place in Springfield, MO where we can get movies from $1.99 on up. They are used but they are in good shape and if one doesn't work we just save the receipt and take it back and exchange it.
But our Christmas evening was anything but dull. We were lying down watching Tim Allen's Santa Claus when I heard a weird noise, So DH fumbles for the remote to mute the movie as I jump up and run to the kitchen.....WATER EVERYWHERE! I opened the cupboard doors under the sink and got a drenching from water spewing out of a pipe. I hollered for DH to "Turn of the D&^N water" but he was trying to find his slip on shoes. MEN! Finally he runs out to the well house and turns off the water. What a mess. I grab a pile of bath towels and start soaking up the water and getting all my cleaning supplies out from under the sink. DH finally got in there to see that a hose clamp had broke so after a search for another hose clamp and a lot of mopping up on my part we were finally able to get back to watching the movie. I was exhausted. Now I have a bathtub full of really wet towels that need to be washed and I am not enjoying the idea of heading out to the pavilion to wash them. Maybe I can just wring them out by hand then hang them up around the wood stove to dry so I can wait til I have a day with the temps above 50. Like I said before I do my laundry outside and it is just too cold today.

Hope everyone has a great day and that you are enjoying all your wonderful Christmas gifts.

Now the countdown begins for a very HAPPY NEW YEAR celebration.

MayinJerset
December 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM
It is going to be a long, slow day as it's almost 10am and just a few of us have had enough energy to check the forum. Was up at 6 but started falling asleep checking emails so I headed for the couch to watch morning news, 3 hours later I woke up. Don't know what today's news is but mine is "I'm tired!". It's a good tired though.

We spent Christmas Eve with our son Bob, wife Debbie and daughter, our DGD Elizabeth home from college. After a tasty fish dinner we opened our gifts as well as those from their DGD Laura and family who were visiting her DH's family and DGD Mary who lives in CA. All folowed by tea and cookies, cake, etc. We even returned home in time to see Santa riding down our street on a big fire engine.

Christmas Day we had dinner at DGD Catherine's, with her dad, our son Pat, her mom MJ and boyfriend Scott . Dinner was a great one of meatballs and tomato sauce over fresh made spaghetti by Scott. Afterwards we opened gifts from each other and DGD Christine and DH who live in CA. Followed by tea and lots of goodies. Man after 2 days of Holiday eating we were filled to the brim .
As I said, we're tired but happy tired and well worth all the Christmas chores and rushing about. May

Blondie
December 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Blondie...Who makes ebelskivers in your family? I LOVE them and haven't had any since I moved away from my Danish friend Inge. Eat three for me, please! Drooling in Missouri.....Barb

I make them every Thanksgiving and Christmas, as does my Mom. My Poppa was Danish, so it's been in our family for a long time! I may have to make another batch

Sandy Navas
December 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I wish I could be with Blondie and share her ebelskivers (although I had to look up the meaning). However, I am really perturbed this morning. I asked if anyone wanted the last cookie . . . and someone did.

Actually I'm joking, as usual. Everyone at our house got a tray of cookies - and I got into mine this morning and picked one of five different ones (glad I didn't get more and/or one of each) and I feel like my blood sugar hit a l o w . . . I should know better, at my age. I'm so glad the kids took their home!!

I got up this morning thinking of the things I really want to accomplish now that Christmas is over. The only problem is that I don't even know where to start. I do hate it that I too often procrastinate!! Not one to make New Years Resolutions, I am just going to play things by ear. (Where did that expression come from? I know what playing songs on the piano by ear means.) Anyway, I am thinking that soon I am going to be doing a top to bottom cleaning and a shelling out of things not needed in this house. Anyone want to bring over the dumpster for me?

I sure hope everyone is having a wonderful let-down day after all the excitement (or not) from Christmas. I think I'm going back to bed.

Love, hugs, special prayers, and best wishes to all my quilty friends!!

Laura F
December 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Good morning Sandy. I know what you mean about all the cookies and such. I'm trying to figure out if I freeze them will they be safe (from me) until I go back to work on the 7th. :-) I went for my run this morning and boy was it slow due to my overload of food and sugar yesterday.

Thinking I would like to do some sewing, maybe take a shower, make some coffee and so far have not moved form this chair.

Have a wonderful and blessed day today.

Claire Hallman
December 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Good morning everyone. Most of Alabama fared OK yesterday as far as I know. Mobile, which is in very far south part of the state had some tornado damage but I think the rest of the state just had rain and more rain.
My BIL went home early yesterday so he would not be driving in the worst of the storm. It looks like we just might get a snowflake or two this afternoon. It is still wet outside and the temps are dropping.
We had a lovely day yesterday with DS and DIl here for the day, lots of food and Christmas movies here, too. I just love Elf and that was our main movie. I watched a couple of sappy ones on Lifetime 12/24 and got really geared up for Christmas Magic. Like I said, it was a lovely day but now I am looking forward to two weeks from today when my first grand is to be born. [maybe sooner????]
Cookies for breakfast sound really good.

MayinJerset
December 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm back, needed to have a fresh cup of coffee to figure out a big problem. Dryer was out so clothes were piling up in the hamper. Before we left for Christmas dinner at DGD's I 'hid' some of the dirty clothes hamper overflow in the bathtub. Plan was that since new dryer was installed Christmas Eve afternoon today I'd do a big laudry. Problem is that I'm very tired and don't want to even think about doing laundry let alone taking the clothes out the the bathtub but I want to take a shower. Answer was very simple but without a new cup of coffee it wouln't come me - leave the clothes where they are and shower in the nice big stall shower in the upstairs bathroom.

Sandy, Like you I'm glad I gave everyone their own trays of the Christmas cookies I made, the few that are left here are more thn enough for DH and me. I"ll try my best to snack on the big basket of fresh fruits that we recieved from a friend. May

auntiemern
December 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Ahhh, the day after. Still exhausted, but somewhat functioning. We were on the bubble of a light dusting of snow, or anything from 2-10". Luckily, all we got was the light dusting. Need to get my sewing table cleared off ( doubles as dessert table when folded up) and maybe get something sewed today. If not I will work on the ruffled scarves I have been making. I guess what gets done is dependent on my energy level. Hugs for all, and prayers for all. This world needs to get back to God, and maybe some of the craziness will end.

SallyO'Sews
December 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Well, I am at work today, but not at my own desk; filling in for the receptionist, who is not here. It is now just about noon and I have fielded exactly 2 phone calls in 3.5 hours. Happily, I can access the forum on the computer!

Hope you all had as lovely a Christmas as we did. Just a dusting of snow in the a.m. which was wonderful, as my son's girlfriend is visiting from Baton Rouge, LA, and had never seen a "white" Christmas! And it had melted by the time we had to drive to my SIL's house, so it's all good! Enjoy your families; they're the most precious gifts, aren't they?

lilmouse
December 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Morning everyone, I am still recovering from a visit to the grandkids....Steve got in late Sunday night...I had to work early Monday morning...not enough sleep, got off of work, we went Christmas shopping, plans for Christmas dinner got cancelled (flu); so we got together Christmas Eve at Steve's sisters house, went home, packed up and headed north to see the grandbabies....I was exhausted and when Steve is home I do all the driving to give him a break from it..(drives a semi for a living), and the grandkids were up at O dark thirty; and of course had to wake up Grandma....I think a nap is in order today....don't have to work until tomorrow night; received the most awesome gifts from Meemeecyn (SSS) and that will keep me busy for a long time! Off for more coffee.....will check back in later!

shannonsaulter
December 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sounds like most everyone had a great day would love to see the pics of your SS gift since Im not part of the group but you just wait til 2013 I am there!

Madeforyouinma11
December 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hello everyone! It does sound like everyone had a wonderful day yesterday! I too, had a great day! I have been trying to catch up on some reading here today...I feel like I've missed so much in the hustle and bustle of the holiday. I posted pics of my gifts from my SS today! Loved all my presents from Rhonda (RFree)! Thank you again Blondie and I really hope you will do this again next year cause my plan is to put at least one thing a month into a box for next years SSS.
I am really wiped out today and think it is time for a short nap, then it's back to the sewing room to finish gifts needed for the 31st and the 5th!
Hope everyone has a great day of resting and if you are working, I hope it's a quiet day for you! Hugs and prayers to everyone!

HandsOffItsMine
December 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Well, the kids/grandkids had a nice Christmas Eve/Christmas Day at Karen/Scott's - Zander made it on the plane yesterday and landed safely in Calif. Will be leaving on the 28th to Germany. :)

I'm still down with the stomach flu, day 5 and I don't think I'm getting up much after cooking a Dutch dinner yesterday. I'm pooped. Don went for his walk to feed the dogs/cats/birds and came back exhaused, not looking well. He had the flu for 5 days straight really bad but still has been feeling weak this last week. The stress this last week hasn't down his heart any good either. Now that the kids are settled and seem alot happier at Karen/Scott's, not walking on eggshells all the time. - Don's BP should come down. :)

Matt went for a follow up checkup and has to check himself in this afternoon at the hospital. :( His potasium and magnisium is low/ dehydraded - White BCs are high. Exactly one week out of the hospital. He'll be in again for 2-3 days. He's going to have the other major surgery it's just a matter of when. They will need to removed the bad colon and rectal tissue - remove the stomabag on the right - put a temporary colonostamy bag as low as possible on the left.

We're praying that the surgeon will hold off at least 3 weeks to have him gain some weight back and for us to get the cars on a ship and our crate on another ship. We'll now have to use our Hawaiian Airlines points to get us as far East as we can get and then get the next cheapest airline to Atlanta. Kat will need us there to help with the kids, this is a longer stay in the hospital and a longer recovery time for Matt.

Never a dull moment in our household, God really is testing us to see if we have a sense of humor. We're still smiling but it's getting old I tell you!

Be safe dear friends, blessings and prayers for all. <3 Ruby and Don

Musical_Starling
December 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Oh Ruby, still sending out prayers for all of you, and it sounds like you still need them. I can't wait for you to get to the mainland, because I know you'll all be so happy to be together again! Not much longer :)

I'm late checking in today, trying to catch up on some rest. Felt like I was awake forever yesterday lol Not much on the go at our house, pretty dull. But I like dull, it's relaxing :D

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'm really late checking in today. Sounds like everyone had a nice but busy Christmas holiday. We had a nice Christmas with the kids. They were all here Sunday evening and had lots of food, goodies and gifts. Then on Monday I went to the cemetary and then had to go in town and pick up a couple of things and the rest of the day and evening was spent on DD's quilt and wrapping some gifts.

Christmas was quiet - just the 3 of us so we put in Christmas Story and I laid down on the couch and covered up with a fleece robe that DH got for me and promptly fell asleep. Woke up and fixed a small dinner - ham, steamed potatoes with butter and parsley, tossed salad and rolls. I told them if they wanted dessert - eat some of those blasted cookies.

Back to work this morning long enough to do payroll then back home before the snow got really deep. I've been working in my sewing room today - putting things away and cleaning up. I'm not starting or getting out any projects until I have that room under control.

Have a wonderful evening....stay safe and warm. Prayers and hugs

janluna
December 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
We had a wonderful Prime rib dinner at our Son and DIL's house. Spent time with our Emily, Laura and Sarah. Joey told us about the scene in Webster, NY as he was called in at 6:30 A.M. on Christmas Eve. waited til the kids were in bed. He knew all 4 victims that were shot. He has aged 10 years in 3yrs. with Emily's disease, and work. Our beautiful Daughter in law, Heatherlea, also shows the strain. Her face is strained as his is even when they laugh at the kids. The Grandkids were wonderful. Sarah gave us a puppet show and a song fest. Too cute! Laura was involved with her kindle fire, Emily spent her time talking with us and helping Mom. Joey did a wonderful job on the prime rib. Wow was it good! Our day was good, except for the sad news of the firefighters. I spent the day today, doing laundry, mopping, finding my dining room table. I know I had one in the dining room, but it was buried! lol I'm beat! Tomorrow, I'll try to find my sewing machine and table. I know it's under there because I can see the tip top of my machine under all the stuff on the table. I swear I will take a nap sometime though.
Thank you to Lynne again for my SSS gifts. You made my day Sweetie. Thank you. God Bless you all. Ruby and Don, Kat and Matt, we are lifting you all in prayer. Matt for recovery and healing after his surgery and his Doctor during surgery. We love you all, prayers for calm for you Ruby, and Don. Get that blood pressure down sweetie! And may I ask for prayers for the shooting victims and their families as well as for Joey and Heather. And always for my darlin Emily. And the West Webster Fire Dept. members who will be a very long time getting over this mess. Thank you my loving prayerful Sisters. God Bless you all. I love each and everyone of you. You are always a source of strength for me and each other. I thank God for the Doan family and this Site everyday. Where would we be without them? Just hurling through cyber space looking for stuff. Now we have a home to come to. One that lets us share all the good as well as the worrisome and the bad.
God Bless you Doans and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!
Love to all, night! Jan L.

HandsOffItsMine
December 27th, 2012, 04:12 AM
(((Jan))), Merry Christmas to you and yours first off! Glad you and Joe made it home safely and had a wonderful time with the family.

Don and I wondered if Joey knew the men in Webster, we thought he would. Our prayers go out the Firemen/women there and their families. Sadly no First Responders are safe anymore, yet they are all heroes.

My heart goes out to Heather and Joey, the stress they carry under the weight of worry of Emily's care is what no parent should have to go through. We pray each night that they will find a cure for Emily and all other illnesses of our loved ones.

Mele Kalikimaka to the Doan's and all their staff! :) This Forum is like no other quilting forum, there is love in this Forum like no other! <3

May 2013 bring joy and good health to all on the MSQC Forum and the World. It's a tall order but with God in our hearts, we're on a good path to make it happen.

Much love and hugs, Ruby

janluna
December 27th, 2012, 04:50 AM
And AMEN and AMEN. Thank you Ruby! We love you all very much. God is with you. When the bad thoughts come knocking, ask Jesus to get the door. The bad guy will run away. God Bless you all, Honey. We are asking for healing for Matt, and emotional and physical strength for Kat. And for Matt's Doc... Healing hands.
Love you, Jan