PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet

Meli
December 25th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I'm sitting in my family room, watching a movie with DH, and my cat, Tidbit is pressed up against me, purring, his paw resting on my left thumb. It's either that or he starts typing. Some things, it seems, never change.

What is different about tonight, however, is Tidbit himself. He is 16 and has advanced kidney disease, which we've been managing well until a couple of weeks ago when he began to slow down noticeably. This last week, however, has seen a marked change. He has become beyond lethargic, and moving from one napping spot to another takes about all the energy he can muster.

We had Jim's family Christmas party tonight. Bits, very social, is always in the middle of whatever gathering we have. Tonight he came out of the bedroom to join us for about 10 minutes, then started back to the bedroom. Jim scooped him up and took him back to his nest on the bed, where he stayed all evening.

Bits and I have been through a lot together, and he has been with me through thick and thin, divorce and marriage. I always laugh when I remember how he wanted to curl up on my tummy and purr me all better... after my hysterectomy. And how he sat in front of the door for days when Jim had bypass surgery, waiting for him to come home.

He has been a wonderful friend. Today, after a lengthy conversation about his symptoms, the vet thinks he has a bladder infection and has put him on antibiotics. But if he doesn't improve by Wednesday, we will have to let him go. He is still happy, purring constantly, even in his sleep.

I will cherish these last days with my friend, am glad that he has friends waiting for him on the other side. But, oh, how I will miss him!

dwil23
December 25th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Bits. I stopped by my quilting partner's house today and she told me her 20 year old "Muffin" is declining and she too is worried she may not have much time left with him. It is so hard to loose them, they are family members. Always there for you. I hope and pray that he will get better by Wednesday and that he still has good days ahead of him. <hugs>

quiltingtrish
December 25th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Awwww. I'll say a prayer for Tidbit and you too. They surely do move right in to our hearts.

Hugs,

HandsOffItsMine
December 25th, 2012, 03:09 AM
(((Meli & Tidbit))) Sharing the cuddles now is even more specials. I feel for you Sweetie. Give an extra gentle hug for me.

pcbatiks
December 25th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Meli.........our pets are part of our families.........they are always there for us. And they certainly bring lots of joy into our lives.
Sorry to hear about Tidbits.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM
I have my 15+year old buddy Al purring his brains out besides me as I read your sad story. I know our time together will sometime soon come to an end, and it is indeed bittersweet. He, too, wants to be part of the social scene, but the naps are long and the social interactions are short. Our dear pets intertwine themselves in our lives and hearts. May God be with Tidbit and you and your family in the coming days.

Musical_Starling
December 25th, 2012, 05:35 AM
They really do become a part of the family. And anyone who believes that a cat has no personality and is incapable of love has never owned one. They are loyal, loving creatures and they are certainly far from the "stupid animals" tag that they are often given. I have two cats, and they are my best friends. When I lost my oldest cat, Shadow, back in July, it was like saying goodbye to my best friend. She wasn't a cat who would cuddle and love most people, but she adopted me from the first minute I met her. My thoughts and prayers are with you Meli, because I remember just how hard it was to let go after a long illness. Take care, and give Bits a kiss from myself, Boots, and Tinkerbelle. My Shadow will be up there waiting to show him the ropes :) I'm sure she's got all of the best milk fountains and napping places already scoped out!

CrazyMtnLady
December 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Bits. Enjoy the time remaining, getting in lots of extra pets and purrs. My big ole' planet of a cat Chester is not the most social critter and he only chooses a few folks to warm up to and give an audience to his purrs. Normally he is laying on the back of the couch (like now) or if I am in bed he likes to lay at the top of my head on my pillow. He is 10 years old.

JLynn
December 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear about Bits

madampolo
December 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Our cats are close family members, too. We recently lost two of our most favorite cats. We live in the country, and they loved to go in and out of the house. I think a wild animal got them. We still have two left. One of them is always, always, always, jumping on my back while I am at the computer, then crawling over my shoulder to get into my lap to be petted. The other one is not good natured, and will bit you if you touch her tummy. I want to get two more, and get them as babies, but I am afraid of our dog. I think she may play with them, and kill them in the process. Spend any time left with your precious baby so you will have even more memories if she does have to be put to sleep.

Sandy Navas
December 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sending lots of puddy-tat hugs and a big armload of blessings to Tidbit! And you!!!

BellasQuilts
December 25th, 2012, 01:33 PM
(((((((((((((((((Meli)))))))))))))))))))))))

MRoy
December 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sending ((((HUGS)))) to you and Bits.

Bubby
December 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Meli, I'm so sorry you are going through this. We are going throught it also with Miss Molly. We are amazed she is even here with us again for Christmas. All I know is that you will know when the time is right to let Bits go...be thankful for all the loving, fun times you have spent together. My thoughts and prayers are with you....Hugs, Barb