PDA

View Full Version : A new little machine ...what kind do you have??

Laura108
November 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I want to move up to a computerized sewing machine but stay under 200 and have found quiet a few on amazon and other sites.
I have embroidery sewing units and prefer to not use them for my daily sewing...lol...yep im werid
the machine I'm using now is a brother but about 60 years old and yes has the markings from the previous owner...yep im also a nostalgia buff. the town closest to me only sells bernina...a wonderful top of the line machine but since ...I felt pushed so Im revolting lol and with christmas coming ...I just want a workhorse ..The biggest thing Im looking for is an adjustable needle position and blind stitches so I can do applique...This machine will do it but not as smooth as I would like and I do not want to have to use the wheel to adjust ...and to be honest I cant see to thread anymore without my magnifying lamp so an auto threader might be nice....any hints would be great...I'm thinking brother but would like to hear what you all think...oo and I want to be able to carry it with me lol

janluna
November 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hi Laura, I have a brother that is a work horse that I got from Walmart. yup wally world.
Also have a singer quilting machine with all the things you want and it sews really good but I don't like moving it around too much. On sale at Joann's for 299.00 was 399.00
I love it. I would love a Phaff but like you, can't spend the money. My friend Sandy has a bernia and loves it. Said it's the best sewing machine. She also has Phaff sewing and embroidery machine. You might be able to get a singer shipped to you by joann's online.
Probably not the best machines in the world but it's what I could afford. Love ya, Jan

Tslave57
November 4th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I have a Babylock "Maria" that cost $279. It's not computerized, but it is definitely a workhorse. The only dealer near me sells Babylock and Bernina and the one that I really want that has all the features that I need retails for $899, and the next step down is $599. That's a little too steep for me, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I looked at both the Singer and Brother machines at Walmart and Joann's, and the main reason I didn't go that route is because there isn't anybody here that would service it. At least I know I can get service with my Babylock dealer.

Teresa

sally
November 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I have a KENMORE. My hubby bought it for his daughter before we were married. I also have a White( I think thats what it is) but it spent more time getting serviced than used. The Kenmore works fine and comes with a 25 years warranty... but I sure wish it had an automatic threader. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Rae
November 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I have a Janome machine and love it. I know there are several Janome models that are around your price range and have a lot of great features. Two of my fellow quilt club members recently bought the Audrey model by BabyLoc. Reasonably priced and they too have many features....both ladies love these machines. The best advice anyone ever gave me when I was looking for a new machine was to try out as many as possible and ask a lot of questions. Good luck.

Happy Sewing,
Rae

Laura108
November 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback. I sew ( haha) appreciate it.
I did get this one where I can sew...and so unsure of myself right now...Everytime I go to the quiltshop which I did today ...I want that stupid expensive machine...yep resorting to calling it stupid...it does everything include suck my wallet dry. Im still saying no to it tho...I am woman I can live without it lol
Its so hard to pick a machine ...I did find a 59.00 one at big lots its a refibished brother ...so i did some research ...refirb is not a bad way to go it goes through alot more checks then normal machine...I had to laugh the article said sometimes ...someone is sleeping on the job when they are first issue..LOL with a refirb what are the chances they sleep thru 3 checks...lol
I will let you know what I get ...if anything since my 60 year old machine decided to work again...just a little moody like me lol

ginampls
December 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
hi laura. i have a brother a walmart machine... love it... less than 200.00. i also have 2 Kenmore's and an old singer... why so many? maybe am a sewing machine hoarder...
all the best gina

RFREE
December 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM
hi laura. i have a brother a walmart machine... love it... less than 200.00. i also have 2 Kenmore's and an old singer... why so many? maybe am a sewing machine hoarder...
all the best gina

Hoarder you say..... wellllll I am guilty of having 3 Brothers (1 is an embroidery machine),1 white,2 Kenmore,1 Singer Featherweight, and a euro pro serger. And a partrige in a pear tree.... ha ha ha lol. really no kidding. I used to tell my mother in law I was trying to get enough machines that i never had to change thread color; just jump from machine to machine. She thought I was nuts...

plix
December 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hi Laura
I was just thinking that you might like to check with quilt guilds or clubs in your area... the quilters there may let you try their machines or you may find someone else looking to buy a new machine & wanting to sell their gently used model. They could give you pros & cons of the machines they have. & which ones are easy to pack around.
Last year, I bought a new Singer for my mother, & it didn't last 2 weeks before she had to take it back. She just mostly sews clothes for the gkids. I have a dinosaur that I LOVE. It's an old Bernina that I bought used back in 1998 or 99 & it still works great! The KEY is getting a machine that you can get serviced by someone who knows what they're doing! That's what makes them really last. Hope this helps.
Happy quilting;)

debinmalaga
December 31st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Jan, is your machine the Singer Confidence Quilter???

bakermom
December 31st, 2010, 10:24 PM
I bought a prw4000 for my DD a couple years ago. It was under $150 at WM. she makes quilts, does garment sewing. Loves it. she hasn't had a bit of trouble with it.

janluna
December 31st, 2010, 11:07 PM
You can get a Brother prw at our Wally world for 99.00. I thought about getting one of those too but decided to go for the quilter from Singer. I love it. The quilter for me and a machine on sale for 99.00 for my Granddaughter. It sews like a champ.

lhayes1976
January 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have an older Janome MC 5000--great machine--it should be. I paid a fortune for it years ago. It's at least 15 years old. It's an embroidery/sewing. Unfortunately I bought it, and technology took leaps and bounds. It uses memory cards--which get very expensive. I hardly used the embroidery unit--so I always regretted spending so much on it. But, it's a workhorse when it comes to regular sewing. Move forward 15 years and I bought another embroidery machine--a Brother SE-350. I bought it from Overstock and paid less than $300--way less than what I paid for my Janome. Love it--I can download so many designs to embroider from the web. I still use my Janome to quilt with--I already had a walking foot for the Janome. Neither machine has alot of throat room though. Baby quilts and small throws are easy enough, but I would like to try something larger someday. My dream machine would be a Juki.
I have been looking into maybe buying a vintage Singer 201 to do my machine quilting one. It looks pretty roomy from needle to base.

Connie Chamberlain
March 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I have 2 Brother Embroidery machines 1 Babylock and 1 Pfaff and 1 Pfaff serger.

Emmari
March 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have a Janome Sewist de luxe 521, - don't know if that is a European name on that model..
It is a really good one and not that expensive.:icon_bigsmile:

Started sewing 2 years ago and also own a Janome serger + my latest love: my eldest son was in Arkansas for some extra education on the Hercules and bought his mamma a Singer Confidence 7470 via amazon. :)

At home he bought the electricity converter so that it can be used here - I love it!!!:icon_happy:
In addition to a LOT of decorative seams it even has all the letters/numbers/signs. I'm over the moon! :D

owalk718
March 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have a Brother CE5000PRW - got from Overstock a couple of years ago. Looked brand new when I got it and still does. Has a 25 year warranty and paid $99.00. Love it!