PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Postponed

madampolo
December 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
For us, Christmas has been postponed. My son-in-law's mother is in intensive care in El Paso. They don't know much other than she had collapsed and been taken there. They live in Houston, and she lives and is in the hospital in El Paso. That is a 14 hour drive from Houston to El Paso. (Just as a side, Houston to El Paso is the same as Houston to Atlanta. Texas is so big.) They have made it to El Paso at midnight last night, and will see her this morning. We will have Christmas with them when they can make it. I am sad about that, but am thankful for wonderful kids. I was so wanting to give them their quilts!

Musical_Starling
December 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear that. I will say a prayer for her and for a safe return trip for them. Hugs to you my friend!

CrazyMtnLady
December 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joyce. I will send up a prayer for our Son in law's mom. Spending Christmas at a hospital is usually not a joyous occasion. My the kids have a safe trip back home also.

quiltingtrish
December 24th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Awww, sorry to hear that. I hope his mother-in-law improves and can get home soon. Safe travels back for your son and family.

Hugs,

Bubby
December 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your SILs Mom and the change in your holiday plans. Yes, Texas is like its own country it's so huge!

cyndiofthevortex
December 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Joyce. My son lives in El Paso and every time I think of him during this holiday season I'll also send up a prayer for your SIL's mom. Can you give us a first name? I've gotten to know this forum well and I know there will be lots of prayers for her. God bless you and your family.

madampolo
December 24th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Joyce. My son lives in El Paso and every time I think of him during this holiday season I'll also send up a prayer for your SIL's mom. Can you give us a first name? I've gotten to know this forum well and I know there will be lots of prayers for her. God bless you and your family.

Her name is Carolina (goes by Carol). I thought El Paso was far from me, but it is incredibly far from New Hampshire. I hope you get to see your son this Christmas, and that he is doing well.

cyndiofthevortex
December 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Her name is Carolina (goes by Carol). I thought El Paso was far from me, but it is incredibly far from New Hampshire. I hope you get to see your son this Christmas, and that he is doing well.
We won't see him until February. He's the only one of the seven who has moved far away, so I'm fortunate with that. I just miss him terribly at this time of year! No matter how old they get (he's 24) you still want your babies around for Christmas, don't you?

Loonwatcher
December 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Oh, i hope everything will be okay. Saying a prayer for them. You take care.

Sandy Navas
December 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Saying special prayers for Carol - and your SIL and your DD. Sometimes life gets in the way of celebrations and we have to take each day as it comes. My Mom was released from the hospital yesterday - so I know that prayer works!!

Al and I were married in El Paso 45 years ago this past month!! It is a wonderful place and near and dear to our hearts. Lots of wonderful memories there - so another special prayer being issued.

MayinJerset
December 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joining the prayers for Carol.

One of my granddaughters will be moving to the Houston area in the Spring, her DH got a job with Shell. We're thinking it isn't that far from Jersey as they now live in CA. At least they will be half way closer in TX. May

madampolo
December 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM

One of my granddaughters will be moving to the Houston area in the Spring, her DH got a job with Shell. We're thinking it isn't that far from Jersey as they now live in CA. At least they will be half way closer in TX. May

My son (and grandkids) lives in Hackettstown, NJ. Last year we drove there and it took us three days. It isn't close! When they drive to Houston, they do it in two long days. What I would suggest, though, is that you drive it when the daylight is longer. We went at Thanksgiving, and fought rain and darkness all the way there. If I were to go again, I'd fly into Newark. We were taking several people, so driving seemed the better option.

MayinJerset
December 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
My son (and grandkids) lives in Hackettstown, NJ. Last year we drove there and it took us three days. It isn't close! When they drive to Houston, they do it in two long days. What I would suggest, though, is that you drive it when the daylight is longer. We went at Thanksgiving, and fought rain and darkness all the way there. If I were to go again, I'd fly into Newark. We were taking several people, so driving seemed the better option.

Thanks for the advice. We'd probably make the trip in 3 days as we need frequent potty stops, LOL.
Hackettstown is in north NJ and we're in central Jersey by the coast. May

Sew Perfect
December 24th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joyce, I pray all will be well and good health will be restored to you son-in-laws' mother.

MRoy
December 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
So sorry about your SIL's mom. I'll be praying for her and I hope it's not serious. I've spent Christmases in hospitals with loved ones. It's tough, but I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.

Jess1377
December 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Prayers being said for your son-in-laws mother's health and for the dr.'s to be able to help her asap as well as prayers for their safe travels. Hopefully they will be back sooner than expected!

HandsOffItsMine
December 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Terribly sorry to hear about Carol and she's in our prayers for a speedy recovery. Of course also prayers for your son and his family for a safe journey home.

Don was stationed in Texas for 7 years plus we traveled through Texas twice together. It is huge and very flat in alot of areas. lol

Just know that Christmas is a calendar date, you can still have that feeling and celebration on the 27th if that's when you're all together again. As long as all of you are safe.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM
So sorry to hear of ths right before Christmas. We had a Christmas some time back braced by two hospitalizations. Late DH was in right before, released and sent home for Chitmas, had another crisis right after Christmas. Hope Carol is OK and can be with you soon.

shannonsaulter
December 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
saying prayers for your family and your celebration will be that much more memorable

alliek
December 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Prayers for the lady. Safe trips for all.

MayinJerset
December 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I spoke too soon as I found out last night DGD and DH will be moving to Louisiana - that will still be nice as that's even closer to all of us here in Jersey than Houston would be.

Momofmonsters5
December 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hope she pulls through! Our 18 year old lives with my parents outside el paso in cruces, my dad had his heart surgery there only good things about the care! Good blessings your way

madampolo
December 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
They think they will put her in a regular room soon. They are doing and MRI, but I haven't heard the results. I am not a Doctor, but it sounds like a stroke to me. Thanks to everyone for the prayers!