PDA

View Full Version : My Angel

RachelMichelle
December 24th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Its been 12 years today that I lost my best friend in the whole wide world and I still struggle with losing her today. She was my Granny and I spent so much time with her in the 8 years she got to spend with me. My family has always told me I saved her in a way, she had just retired and hadn't had a grandbaby in about 10 years so she needed something to keep her going. I was told this weekend that when she found out my mom and dad were pregnant she went out that day and bought a rocking chair so that she would be ready when I came along. I think one of the reasons she and I were so close was because my dad is her only son and the baby. His sisters and nieces say he was her favorite child. I also lived just blocks from her most of my life, she was my babysitter almost always.
My cousin Amy, who was 21 when I was born and who is more of an aunt to me gave me some closure that I have been looking for for a long time. She gave me some of Granny's ashes, a picture of her holding me at the hospital the day after I was born and a letter telling me all these things about her since I was so young, I don't remember any of her stories, just her smell, her soft, loose skin, the way she always stood with her hands behind her back, the way she could always calm me when I was upset by saying, "Dolly, come here, Granny will make it better," and singing me "my" song just to name a few things. Oh, and I have her love of double chocolate Milano's.
34532 Here she is with my Aunt Peggy in the back, Aunt Pat in front of her, my dad, and my mom in front of him. This was taken in the early 90's, probably the summer after I was born because there are other pictures of her helping me learn to walk.
34533 Here she is holding me a few weeks after I was born.

Musical_Starling
December 24th, 2012, 03:47 AM
She obviously loved you very much :) I lost my Nan on June 23, 2011, and I felt much the same way about her. The one thing that comforts me at Christmas (and maybe it's silly) is knowing that she's enjoying her favourite Christmas carols being sung by the angels, and that Heaven is decked out so lovely for, not just Christmas, but Jesus' birthday as well. Nothing here on earth could hardly compare I'm sure :)

:icon_hug:

HandsOffItsMine
December 24th, 2012, 04:48 AM
(((Rachel))), you're lucky that you had such a bond with your grandma. I did too with my Oma in Amsterdam, like my Mom, I've missed her and my Opa every day since they went to Heaven. They were like second parents to me, there wasn't anything in the world they wouldn't do for me. I loved them so and still do. Oma and Oma made my childhood very special, just like your grandma made your that way too.

Losing loved one around the holidays is very hard, my Mams left us Dec. 21st 1999. I'm sure she was there greeting your Granny along with others to show her along with God how beautiful Heaven is without pain, evil and ugliness. I'm glad you were able to get some closure and more memories with the stories of shared. :)

Have a wonderful Christmas and take a moment to reflect back on the memories, not everyone had a great, warm hearted grandma!

Huggers, Ruby

Bubby
December 24th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I still miss my grandparents every day. They were more like parents to me than grandparents. I was blessed to still have my grandma for a few years after I became a grandma. Grandpa passed in 1991 and Grandma Nan in 1997. Such wonderful memories!

CrazyMtnLady
December 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM
How lucky for you to have had the time that you did with her. I never knew either one of my Grandmothers. My mother was born in Australia and her mother passed away when she was 18 and my father's mother died before I was born. The only Grandparent I ever knew was my father's father and he passed when I was 6.
Treasured memories are a wonderful thing.

madampolo
December 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
My father's mother died of measles and pneumonia when he was 6 and she was 27, so I didn't know her. My other grandmother died when I was in my 20's. My grandparents only spoke German (although born and raised in Texas), and I didn't communicate well with them. There wasn't any close moments like you had with your special Granny. Treasure those memories. They are special.

RachelMichelle
December 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I was so lucky to have her as some of you were with your grandparents, I wish that everyone could have as good of a relationship with them that I did.

BellasQuilts
December 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
A very special relationship. What joy that you had that with her.

MayinJerset
December 25th, 2012, 01:19 AM
You were so luckly to have an Angel of a grandmother, I bet she's looking down on you everyday.

Like a few others here I wasn't blessed with any grandmothers, they and my mother's father either passed before I was born or when I was quite young. Just the other day I was telling a friend about my only real grandparent, my father's father. He was a wonderful grandfather to me, my brother Jim and sister Louise. Every day when he come home from work he would buy a candy bar on the subway station. When he got home he'd share the candy with us. First he'd take out his pen knife and cut the candy into 4 pieces, Louise always wanted the biggest piece. If he brought a package of Chuckles, the black one was always his. When my parents insisted I go to a vocational high school he stuck up for me and conveniced them that I should go to a regular high school. I wanted to be a secretary so he bought me a Royal portable typewriter. As the years passed I had more brothers and sisters and Grandpa was special to them in different ways. Our father wasn't a really caring parent but Grandpa made up for him for all of us in so many ways.

Thanks for beginning this subject, it's always great to remember and honor people who really made a difference in our lives.