PDA

View Full Version : Table play house... gonna make one!

coffeebreak
December 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Got some quilts in the works (at least in the creating stage) but my grand daughter wanted a "club house" this week and I tossed some blankets over/around my square kitchen table (taller one with bar seat style) and she loved that so that gave me the idea of making a table house cover..thingy. Easy to do, just get sheets and cut same size as top of table and four pieces the size of each side of the table and sew them together like an upside down "box" or purse bottom. Then we started talking about it and really got into it..well, me more than she but she'll climb aboard soon as she gets back in 2 days! But I have 3 other GD and 1 GD....all under 10 and want to make it for them to...so I thought about doing things on the inside "walls"...like a phone, and aquarium etc. And decorate the outside "walls" too...felt, velcro and double sided iron on interfacing will be my best friends! This is the kind of thing I used to do "back in the day" before my quilting obsession so not new to this world at all! So I went on line to get some ideas for both construction and decoration and found this site...she makes them and sells them! How cool is that! And she has so many different styles and themes!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79754154/card-table-playhouse-cupcakery-with

She only decorates the outside "walls" but I want to do both...I was going to make a felt phone with a ribbon "cord"...GD said she wants an aquarium on it so I have some fabric of fish that I can make appliques with. On the front I will do a mail box, and then found a few ideas here for the outside and the inside...love the cupcake theme!

I plan on going to the thrift store tomorrow..hope they have a "merry christmas" sale going on ...if not, I'll go back on Wed when they have 25% off everything sale and pick up some sheets. They often have bed ruffles and other things that I can use part of...like one with flowers and I can add that to the bottom of the outside for a "garden" effect. I plan to do alot with felt and velcro to make things they can take off and on to actually PLAY with..like the cupcakes on a table etc.

So...first...anyone have any suggestions if you have worked in this world before as to ease of construction?
Second...anyone have any good sites for coloring book pages that have large pictures to use as appliques? I know to google them but if someone has a site they like, care to share? Or any other ideas?
Thanks!

bakermom
December 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
no suggestions but I'll be watching this because i would like to make a couple for my GKs. I've also eyed the teepee that you can make out of pvc or dowels rods.

Claire Hallman
December 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
What a great idea. I am thinking of one made as a quilt with windows appliqued, window flower boxes, a door flap and lots of stuff appliqued on the inside, too. This is just in my mind, not anything I have done but might do sometime in the future after my grand girl gets born then gets bigger.
What am I saying? I will have forgotten by then, LOL.

SuzyQue
December 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
I made the tepee one year, on Christmas Eve, for my daughter. It was quick and easy and turned out cute! It has been played with and in for years!!! It is now stored away for the grands, someday. It was a great gift! I also made a playhouse which was great fun to create and the kids loved it....also much played in!! Enjoy the process and watch the fun unfold!

coffeebreak
December 23rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
What a great idea. I am thinking of one made as a quilt with windows appliqued, window flower boxes, a door flap and lots of stuff appliqued on the inside, too. This is just in my mind, not anything I have done but might do sometime in the future after my grand girl gets born then gets bigger.
What am I saying? I will have forgotten by then, LOL.
Start it now and have it ready...trust me..when they "get here" you'll have so many other things to make for them!

Years ago when my son was about 3, I made a smaller quilt...about 1/2 twin size, and it was a barn with door and upper hay door that opened, and had a pocket with little stuffed horses in it. In front of the barn was a road and a pick up truck and the bed was a pocket for the horses. A tree with a water barrel (that was a pocket) and a fence (part being a pocket)..the pockets of course were for the horses to be in and he played with that barn quilt quite often. In later years, I lost the horses, but when my grand daughter was born, I found some little bunnies that were the perfect size..this generation the barn and pick up was filled with bunnies instead of horses!

But you also give ma another idea...a quilt with the house look...and have windows that open and inside is maybe a tea set (felt and velcro) and another window opens and there are som cupcakes and snacks. A mail box that opens and felt letters, a door that opens and....something else. Hum... food for thought! I am starting my list of things to do this next year already so on it goes! I am also trying to think of how to sell my quilts.. I think I do good enough that I could make a few bucks..at least recoop my expense...I can do that...have fun and therapy for free!

coffeebreak
December 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
no suggestions but I'll be watching this because i would like to make a couple for my GKs. I've also eyed the teepee that you can make out of pvc or dowels rods.

Did you look at her entire "line"? She has some pretty cute houses! It was odd, cause as I talked to my GD today about it before I saw her site....GD wanted the decoration INSIDE the tent for a "club house". meaning the inside "walls" had all the decoration things on it... I hadn't even thought about doing anything to the outside...just doors and windows but they opened toward the inside! I can't wait till she gets home nad sees these nad gives me her ideas!

coffeebreak
December 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I made the tepee one year, on Christmas Eve, for my daughter. It was quick and easy and turned out cute! It has been played with and in for years!!! It is now stored away for the grands, someday. It was a great gift! I also made a playhouse which was great fun to create and the kids loved it....also much played in!! Enjoy the process and watch the fun unfold!

I know! What kid doesn't want to make a "tent" or "hide out" under the kitchen table or a sheet draped over 4 chairs? Did any kid grow up not doing that? Maybe a few, but I'd bet most at least drapped the sheet!

Sandy Navas
December 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/search.php?searchid=432045
And here:
http://www.missouriquiltco.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=playhouse

I built one for the girls and we hung it outside from a tree. They thought it was great fun.

coffeebreak
December 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/search.php?searchid=432045
And here:
http://www.missouriquiltco.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=playhouse

I built one for the girls and we hung it outside from a tree. They thought it was great fun.
Sounds cute! I bet they loved it! Thanks for the links!

Lisapc
December 23rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
These are the best kind of gifts. Great idea and please post pictures when you are done.

MayinJerset
December 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Great Idea and so many ways to decorate them. May in Jersey

lilmouse
December 24th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Who's going to have more fun, you designing and creating it or the kids playing in it? Hmmmmm, wondering minds want to know?

coffeebreak
December 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Who's going to have more fun, you designing and creating it or the kids playing in it? Hmmmmm, wondering minds want to know?

Gotta say I think they will enjoy it more. I am not overly thrilled about doing it. I just do it cause I know they will like it...and that's all that matters! I have no instruction, no patterns or nothing ! I don't start well under those conditions! I hope I can do it justice!

Sandy Navas
December 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Gotta say I think they will enjoy it more. I am not overly thrilled about doing it. I just do it cause I know they will like it...and that's all that matters! I have no instruction, no patterns or nothing ! I don't start well under those conditions! I hope I can do it justice!

Last year my oldest grand daughter made one of her sisters the most amazing 'tent' for Christmas. It was simply a rope and clothes pins, and two sheets - all stuffed in a bag with the sister's name embroidered on the front. Their dad installed eye-bolts to attach the rope and all of the girls had a fantastic time playing in their 'tent'. Don't stress, just have fun.