PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Review

Tslave57
November 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Ladies - I will be upgrading my sewing machine after the first of the year. Currently, I have a Babylock "Maria" which is a great utility machine with no bells and whistles, but steady as a tank. But as much quilting and general sewing I'm doing, and plan to do in the future, I think I need something a little more advanced with more features.

I would love to know your thoughts and suggestions on what you think is a great sewing machine and why.

Thanks.
Teresa

Rae
November 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
I have a Janome and love it....sews beautifully and I have not had any problems with it. There are a lot of great machines out there.....I would test drive many models before making a decision. Be sure to take along some quilt sandwiches and other fabrics to test on and ask lots of questions. The dealer where you buy is just as important as the make/model of the machine. Good luck and let us know what you buy.

Happy Sewing,
Rae

pdjewelrylady
November 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
The dealer where you buy is just as important as the make/model of the machine.
Could not agree more!! Our machines are like cars...do your research, test drive several models for what YOU want and fall in love with the machine you buy and the dealer who will be servicing it. treat it right and you will have her for a very long time :) :icon_cool:

StitchingTime
November 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I think the dealer makes a big difference. Most of the companies offer great machines just deciding what you want and how much you want to spend.

Tslave57
November 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, there is only one reputable dealer in my town and they sell Bernina, Babylock and Husquvarna. I've been eyeing the new Babylock "Quilter's Choice", but haven't spent any time on a test drive. I did ask some questions about features, etc. and, of course, the price. It's a little more than I had planned on spending, but I see it as an investment in the future. A good quality machine should last long enough to get my money's worth, and my granddaughter wants my old Babylock whenever I upgrade.

Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted on my progress.

janluna
November 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
One of my friends has a bernina and loves it if that helps.

shell.scraps
November 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I would suggest test driving as many machines as you can. There were a lot of machines out there that I would have loved to get...but I found that they had a lot of bells and whistles that I didn't want/wouldn't use. I would go prepared with a list of what you absolutely can't live without in a new machine and go from there.

Keepstitchin
November 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Test driving is the best thing, but also make sure the dealer offers free usage classes with your machine, and a service contract. Just like cars, somebody could have been asleep at the factory and you end up with a lemon. Good luck!!

Blondie
November 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Patti and Laurie give you some very good advice, Teresa. When I was looking for my machine a few years ago, I made sure the dealer was certified to work on the machine and that it had what I needed. I think I may have posted this somewhere before, but, I wound up purchasing a store demo. It saved me big bucks.