PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic tote clasp

StitchingTime
November 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
I am looking for a tutorial on how to insert the magnetic tote clasps. I am not good at it and really like them on tote bags.

janluna
November 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
I put one on my tote. Don't know if I did it right but here goes. Measure between the two posts on the fastener. Make two buttonholes the same distance apart that the posts are apart. Center these on the bag or where ever you want the fastener to be. put the posts through the buttonholes and bend them flat to keep the fastener stable. Then put your lining in your tote and it will cover up the posts. Add the other half of the fastener to the flap and sew it down. This should work if I haven't totally confused you. If I have maybe someone else can clarify the directions. Hope it works, Jan :icon_wave:

Sewbee
November 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
I got a tip from an employee at the local fabric store to use plastic cross stitch canvas with the magnetic snaps. I buy one sheet of the heavy duty plastic canvas and then cut out a small section to fit the shape of the pronged part of the magnet. After pushing the magnet prongs through the front of the purse fabric, I feed the prongs through holes I cut out in the small piece of canvas and then bend them back. This gives better reinforcement to the magnet and a more solid feel. Those magnetic clasps can be pretty strong and when pulling them apart you don't want to stretch or tear your purse fabric with the prongs.

I like your buttonhole idea Jan because it makes a nice finished edge to the holes in the front of the purse fabric even though the magnet clasp will cover them up. It should keep the holes from fraying. I usually just mark the fabric with a tailors chalk where the prongs should go through and then cut small slits in the fabric with my embroidery scissors. Next time I might try the buttonholes along with using the plastic canvas for reinforcement on the inside.
:icon_happy: :icon_wave:

janluna
November 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
I love your idea too. There is a metal piece that comes with the kit that goes behind the clasp to give it greater stability but I like your idea I'll have to try it next time. If we incorporate both ideas together we may come up with a great way to do it now. Great minds and all don't you know. LOL Thanks, Jan

Sewbee
November 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Here is a pic of the inside of my purse pocket where the snap prongs come through. I put the prongs through the plastic canvas first then the metal plate that comes with the snap. Sometimes the sharp edges of the metal plate and prongs can cut your fabric. The plastic canvas protects your fabric a little and gives the snap a firmer base to take the multiple times pulling open and closed.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/LMALM53/SEWING%20PROJECTS/MAGNETICCLASPWITHCROSSSTITCHCANVAS.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/LMALM53/SEWING%20PROJECTS/MAGNETICCLASPONPOCKETS.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/LMALM53/SEWING%20PROJECTS/DENIMTOTEBAG.jpg

janluna
November 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Very cool. It looks good. Nice purse.