PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays can be tricky

Blondie
December 20th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

I have a bag of gifties to put under the wee little tree at the salon this morning. And I still have stitching to do when I get home. However today will be another one of those days when my wheels will be spinning. I think the feeling of running late I expressed yesterday is because I do feel like I am behind! Everybody feels that way this year I think.

It may be a short day at the salon - then Mom to the cardiologist to see about her BP. I was able to prevail upon them, short of calling the dr's personal cell number - which I have - to get her in before the end of January.

I know that my birthday was the other day; and a wonderful one it was; very magical. I have to confess to each one here that sent me a greeting and or a giftie. If you have NOT received a thank you in your pm or email box, it is because I had so many cards, etc that I don't remember who I sent my thanks to. I hope you realize that I am NOT slighting you. If you had my brain, you would understand the whys and wherefores and the impossibility for me to be as organizied as I should be.

Will try to check in later. Prayers for each in need; blessings to all. And for goodness sakes, SMILE!

MayinJerset
December 20th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Good Morning Blondie, Just we two chickens early this morning. Little tree at the salon sounds really cute, your clients will surely love it. Up early so I'm paying some bills and going to try to sneak and wrap one of DH's gifts before he wakes up.

Message on our phone from DS#1 about our Christmas Eve at his house, dinner at 6pm and bring dessert. DIL is going through chemo right now and doesn't have the energy to make all the desserts like she used to. Local market has advertized a Holiday Log so I'll take a look later today while food shopping. Want to get all that we'll need til after Christmas as the roads are getting packed with cars and many drivers are cutting people off, accidents are going to be happening.

Keeping my nephew Tom and family in my prayers that their trip East from Colorado is going OK. He expected the trip to take 3 days, that's a long time for him, his wife to be traveling with 4 small kids .
We haven't seen him and family in about 5 years and never have seen his 2 youngest girls so we East coast aunts and uncles are happy that they will be visiting this Christmas. Coffee time, have a good day everyone, May

Bubby
December 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Good Morning..

I hope everyone is ready for Santa and have their gifties and goodies in order. I may bake a batch of sugar cookies this morning...not the decorating kind other than a sprinkle of colored sugar on top before going into the oven. Like I said it MAY happen...maybe not.

My friend Erika is still holding on. I plan to spend the night with her again tonight. I have to take Molly with me because of her insulin shots. Erika has a house cat and this messes up Molly's normally cool demeanor. Yesterday they had a minor altercation that was more noise than anything else. Molly even barked...something she very rarely does. Molly loves Erika and doesn't want the cat to get near her..so Molly guards the bedroom door to keep the cat out. Add four grandkids (all with colds and coughs) to the mix and we had quite an interesting few hours.

I wish everyone a great day. We are waiting on "a possibility of snow" to arrive. Now it's looking like we will get snow Christmas eve and Christmas day. A white Christmas wouldn't be bad at all as long as there's no ice.

Hugs & Prayers, Barb

quilter.martha
December 20th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Morning everyone. All my presents are wrapped and under the tree, all the baking is done, so I guess I'm ready for Christmas. My DD is coming home with her boyfriend in tow and we're looking forward to seeing them both. They arrive Saturday night and will be here until Wednesday morning. Not a long visit, but at least Kate got the time off at the hospital, which we weren't expecting at all.

Today is an open house at our church. The staff puts on a dinner as a thank you to the congregation, and this year, I am staff! So I am heading off to church at noon to help with the cooking and setting up. I'm making 2 huge blueberry grunts as my contribution to the food. (Don't know what a grunt is? It's similar to a cobbler). Looking forward to some good food and good fellowship.

Hope you all have a great day!

Musical_Starling
December 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Good morning!! :) Finally got all of the presents made, now today is shipping day. Thank God for next-day options! Now it's time for DH and I to do our own shopping. A lot of people give us money or gift cards, and they always give it before Christmas so we can buy our own gifts to put under the tree. Well we haven't bought one thing yet lol Oh dear, I really have to face these crowds? Are you sure? Maybe a 3AM trip to Walmart is in order :D I took some pictures of all of the things I made for Christmas, I may start a thread later to show them off. Very proud that I was able to make so many gifts that I know will be appreciated :)

Have a great day everyone! Prayers out to those who need them.

MRoy
December 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Good morning! It's very windy here this morning and rain is coming...driving to work should be an adventure! Except for getting some cash gifts together, I'm ready for Christmas. I've got all the groceries in. But I'll probably have to get more milk tomorrow because DH is a HUGE milk drinker and he's already 1/2 way thru a gallon that I bought Tuesday.

No big happenings here. I'm hoping for a quiet day at work too. It's usually quieter and a good time to get things done from now until Jan 1. Happy Thursday!

aliaslaceygreen
December 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Good morning! I have just the wand to wrap for Arlie's gift tonight...oh, and quilting that lap quilt....and cooking and cleaning, after I shop. But. I think I am set! Have a great Thursday!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Good morning folks. Some wicked weather is sweeping through the middle of the country, if you are in a bad weather area keep safe! It's supposed to miss us, but we may see a bit of white before the skies clear.

I feel like such a slacker because I don't have the tree up, nor presents wrapped, nor packages sent, and nobody is getting a quilt for Christmas. My original intention was for it to be a very quilty Christmas. Maybe next year. It is wonderful to see all the projects people have created for their family and friends.

Prayers to all who are ill during these days. It's supposed to e a happy time, and sickness makes it hard to be happy.may God be with you all as you face illness, treatments, and the prospect of seeing someone close to you pass into God's presence.

Granny Judy
December 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am so proud of you's Guys/Gals...for getting all your Christmas goodies done and wrapped/sent. Me.. well I just did gift cards this year. A couple of phone calls to make sure they were rec'd and I can put away my Santa Hat for another year.

We are in the area where Snow is suppose to happen.. Yeah, It rained. Would that be "wet" snow??

My head is just not wrapped around gifting this year.. I think I should start a journal about what I should be doing instead of sitting here wondering what I didn't get done.

Off to work on a block for a table runner... another UFO from the past year. Then back to the Harley Quilt. I just had to take a break from all that BLACK, Orange, and Flame fabric.

Musical_Starling
December 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I feel like such a slacker because I don't have the tree up, nor presents wrapped, nor packages sent, and nobody is getting a quilt for Christmas.

And I thought I was alone in not having our tree up yet! Thankfully hubs did drag it up from downstairs last night and moved the furniture a bit to make room, so at least I'm one step closer! You're still a step ahead of me in the decorating department, at least you have lights up outside :D

Monique
December 20th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Good morning friends. Well it was quite the day yesterday. We did set up the outside lights for my sister-in-law. And then the fun started. I managed to buy ALL the gifts I needed and got groceries as well. We were tired last night. Today I need to go to town and get a few more things. Then the wrapping begins. We are expecting about 1 foot of snow between this evening and tomorrow. As long as the weather holds out for the kids when they come home.

That's is my day. I hope yours is a wonderful one.

pcbatiks
December 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Good morning everyone............I've got to get moving. Tonight we will exchange gifts with my parents & have a big pot of chili for supper. They will be visiting by brother & his family during Christmas & bring our gifts for the kids with them. We will be keeping my parents 126 pound "moose sized" golden retriever while they are gone. I will try to post a picture of him soon.......he's so laid back & relaxed! I need to wash clothes, clean house, bake cookies, cook chili and wrap last few gifts! Hopefully, I can stay home all day today! Bubby....our thoughts are with you for your friend.

I saw the following statement in a book of wisdom from children recently & it cracked me up......hope it makes you laugh & smile.

Never jump down the stairs with your hands in your pockets. :D

CrazyMtnLady
December 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Good morning.34347The wind is blowing so hard I am afraid if I step outside it will blow me clean off this mountain. It has been so windy all night that the canopy over the swimming pool is in shreds. Knew we should have taken it down, it is 3 or 4 years old and it was looking pretty think. Those E-Z up canopies don't last forever. The wind has even moved our heavy gray tent style carport over about 2 feet or so. The hay tent looks fine from here and so does the canopy over the hot tub. We did have a bit of sleet overnight. I can see it piled up against the side of the house on the porch. So I know we are in for a really nasty day. Perfect day to stay inside.

Woke up with a major headache, so I am hoping the Ibuprofen starts easing it soon or I will be a major B*^%H all day. Which if I stay at the sewing machine shouldn't be a problem.

If the wind dies down a bit I may go get the little tree out of the storage bus. I can't have my SSS gifts sitting here on Christmas without a tree!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy day today.
Hugs and prayers to all in need.

New York Sue
December 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Good morning folks. Some wicked weather is sweeping through the middle of the country, if you are in a bad weather area keep safe! It's supposed to miss us, but we may see a bit of white before the skies clear.

I feel like such a slacker because I don't have the tree up, nor presents wrapped, nor packages sent, and nobody is getting a quilt for Christmas. My original intention was for it to be a very quilty Christmas. Maybe next year. It is wonderful to see all the projects people have created for their family and friends.

Prayers to all who are ill during these days. It's supposed to e a happy time, and sickness makes it hard to be happy.may God be with you all as you face illness, treatments, and the prospect of seeing someone close to you pass into God's presence.

Boy, do I ever hear you Jean!
I was SO organized last year, and this year I'm all over the place. DH and I put up the tree nearly three weeks ago and and a 10 day stand-off ensued as to who was going to decorate it. It was like that episode on 'Everybody Loves Raymond', when Debra and Raymond had the stand-off about moving the suitcase upstairs! It's not something I really enjoy, and he does so much better than me! He finally finished the tree and it looks awesome!
Now in the midst of this, my DD and her husband decide to do not-so-minor renovations on their home, just a week before they are hosting a baptism party for my GD, on 12/16. So every day off, I'm traveling 40 minutes to paint, organize, clean...I don't mind doing these things, but small projects kept getting added on. Then, I cooked for the occasion...
I LONG for time in my sewing room, particularly, time with my new-to-me Janome. I just finished one 12 hour night, of three, at work. So it's sleep, eat, work, REPEAT....With any luck, my last minute on-line orders will arrive in time to be wrapped. Because on the 25th, another 3 nights at work.
I really shouldn't gripe. I'm paid very well, I have a job, and a supportive, healthy and loving family. I really should have 'positioned' myself better, given my work schedule this Holiday Season. Live and learn!
Please forgive my rant.
Let's try to concentrate on our blessings. And give thought and prayer to the less fortunate, as there are many.

MayinJerset
December 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Never jump down the stairs with your hands in your pockets.
It's a good one as it made me laugh.

I had posted very early this morning but wasn't fully awake. Now that I had a cup of tea, a little nap while watching the TV morning news and just finishing first cup of coffee I'm fully awake and ready for the day. No cookies made yet but added choc chips, etc. to today's shopping list as well as Pillsbury Cranberry Bread Mix (makes excellent biscotti - recipe on the box) so I can bake tomorrow and Sunday. Don't think I'll have time to try Donna's Eggnog cookies before Christmas, thinking of making them for New Year's. Will keep recipe in my Cookie Exchange folder for next year's exchange.

No quilty gifts this year but really should put all the Christmas scraps I have into a lap quilt for the living room. OK, First new thing on my 2013 To Do List.

An online quilting friend is sending me a string lap quilt and 2 fleece blankets for Hurricane Sandy victims. Thought I would have my 2 twin sized ones finished before Christmas but no go. Doesn't matter as the need will continue for quite sometime so I'll donate them beginning of the year. Funny story, a woman in PA chose our guild to donate boxes of quilting fabrics to asking that we make quilts for Sandy victim. When asked why she chose our guild she said it was because we are the closest guild she could find to rock star Jon Bon Govi. He lives in the town where our guild meets, although in the most expensive part bordering the river. Anyway Jon and his wife began a cafe in a near by town, full time chef makes delicious dinners that are free and those who can pay do. After drupping off the fabric she headed right to the cafe, odds are that Jon wasn't there. LOL!

meemeecyn
December 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Good morning, Quilter friends! Just made some sugar cookie dough. DH on vacation so we are going to pick up the grandgirls, bring them back here for a morning of baking. Wish us luck! hehe

Tonight our neighborhood craft group is having a "ugly gift Yankee Swap". We do it every year and leave with muscles hurting in the face and stomach from laughing so much. Believe it or not, I am bringing the ugliest pair of pillowcases I've ever seen. And what makes it even funnier is.......I made them!!

Thinking about you all and recognize there's lots to get done, but try and take time and care to enjoy the process. Have a good day. I'll check in later to catch up.
Cynthia

GrammaBabs
December 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
suffice to say,,,, it's understood by all here that you are a very loving woman with "wheels that never stop"... the cards, gifts and wishes are sent with love and understanding... we love you and know exactly where your coming from... most all of us here are of like minds... just "enjoy"... and keep smiling...a big round of hugs to us all,,, during this"season of doing"!!!!34340

Happy Thursday Folksies!

I have a bag of gifties to put under the wee little tree at the salon this morning. And I still have stitching to do when I get home. However today will be another one of those days when my wheels will be spinning. I think the feeling of running late I expressed yesterday is because I do feel like I am behind! Everybody feels that way this year I think.

It may be a short day at the salon - then Mom to the cardiologist to see about her BP. I was able to prevail upon them, short of calling the dr's personal cell number - which I have - to get her in before the end of January.

I know that my birthday was the other day; and a wonderful one it was; very magical. I have to confess to each one here that sent me a greeting and or a giftie. If you have NOT received a thank you in your pm or email box, it is because I had so many cards, etc that I don't remember who I sent my thanks to. I hope you realize that I am NOT slighting you. If you had my brain, you would understand the whys and wherefores and the impossibility for me to be as organizied as I should be.

Will try to check in later. Prayers for each in need; blessings to all. And for goodness sakes, SMILE!

WendyI
December 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Morning everyone...hope you don't mind me joining in your morning "huddle". It seems that the holidays really did sneak up on a lot of people this year....wasn't it only JUST November!? Sadly we have a funeral tomorrow, a friends dad passed away suddenly. I will be very glad to see the backside of 2012.

However, my tree is up, decos are done, teachers gifts bought and sent, I have a few more things to pick up for DH and maybe one or two for my boy and then wrapping, wrapping and more wrapping. Still have binding to do on a set of 6 place mats and table runner but I will enjoy that. Now if I could just find some elves to come clean my house that would be PERFECT!

Hope you all have a fantastic day!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Morning everyone...hope you don't mind me joining in your morning "huddle". It seems that the holidays really did sneak up on a lot of people this year....wasn't it only JUST November!? Sadly we have a funeral tomorrow, a friends dad passed away suddenly. I will be very glad to see the backside of 2012.

However, my tree is up, decos are done, teachers gifts bought and sent, I have a few more things to pick up for DH and maybe one or two for my boy and then wrapping, wrapping and more wrapping. Still have binding to do on a set of 6 place mats and table runner but I will enjoy that. Now if I could just find some elves to come clean my house that would be PERFECT!

Hope you all have a fantastic day! Wendy, you are a breath of fresh air! We love hearing from you! The huddle idea is fun! Love it! I love everything you are doing in the quilt world, and your great questions spur us all to rethink things and conjure up some decent advice! Glad to have you on the forum, and please join the huddle whenever you can!

I'm with you on the elves idea--where are they when you need them?

SuzyQue
December 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
The wind is roaring on our hill today! The snow is piling and rearranging, but not huge amounts. We have a drift over the driveway, so might just have to stay in......ahhh!!! The tree is up and decorated. The gifts are wrapped. The stockings are hung and goodies hid. I have made 15 batches of various candies. I made 2 batches of flavored candy popcorn. The chex mix is dwindling, so might need to restock. The cards haven't been written....yet! The menus are written and tons of groceries were bought. Today is clean, clean, and hide the mess day! Finish up laundry, change sheets, start the cooking for the week. Tomorrow we will pick up son and dil at airport for a week of family time with everyone home! We will eat, drink, laugh, talk, and hang out together. Plans for a night of Ballet and a night of Cirque Solei. Lots of cooking, lots of eating! The prospect of such fun will get me through today's lists of chores! A great day to stay in and stay warm and stay busy!!! I hope everyone has a productive day! Prayers and hugs!

shannonsaulter
December 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
GM Blondie and 1st Happy Belated Birthday! I didn't know...hope everyone has a great day..for me last night just went all wrong at work ending with getting into it with a facility nurse who doesnt know how to follow the dress code in the prison and got mad when I called her on it...Ah Fridays Lovem but last night was bad...
I now have four days off a bit of shopping to do and we will have our Christmas dinner on Saturday since I work Christmas day...
Stay warm,smile and see ya all around the forum...(((HUGS)))

Lisapc
December 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Good morning all,

I just got home from a an IEP meeting for my 8 yr old son. I sometimes hate these people. He is very smart but board and not into sports and somehow that is a problem. They really coddle kids these days.

I have baking, fudge making and sewing up the *** to get done today. Then I have to decorate the kitchen and living room. Oh yeah, clean in between. How am I running out of time again. I still have to shop for hubby and my parents. Why? I was going to spend the money anyway so why did I put it off? Not next year that is for sure.

I wish all of you a peaceful and productive day!

lilmouse
December 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Good Morning, Wendy, join in anytime....we love hearing from you. Blondie, hope your day goes well....am thinking about Sandy, she is weighing heavy on my mind this morning! We will shop for the Grandkids when Steve gets home....two days before Christmas....having dinner at his sisters...yeah!, I don't have any decorations out yet...just my gifts from my SSS sitting on the buffet in the living room, I live in the computer room and sewing room and kitchen, rarely am in the living room so they are safe! I am so proud of myself, no shaking or feeling or anything....working on the mystery quilt from Quilters Club of America #7 and had to rip out and remove two rows so it will end up being a lap quilt...have my borders chosen....now to cut them and put them on....not real happy with myself over this one....block sizes were all over the place...looks better once I removed the two bottom rows...oh well, will use those blocks somewhere else...sitting here enjoying my coffee....worrying about Steve and the weather in Iowa, he is sitting while they fix his truck and he plans on putting the chains on and driving....scares me spitless as Blondie likes to say! Hope everyone stays safe in the bad weather and accomplishes everything that they set out to do today...God bless each and everyone one of you...hugs to all Susie

toggpine
December 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking of our Sandy also. I thought of her late last night too.

I have a case of the Humbugs this Christmas. Funny, I'm usually the festive one and Hubby the apathetic one. I am going to blame it on the cold. It's not much fun with a full snot locker and the main desire to find a blankie and take a nap.
I am making progress, but it is slow. (I'm not too keen on making cookies that I'm liable to sneeze/cough near & then share with friends.) I think we are going shopping tomorrow to start/finish what must be done.

I'm off to finish some coffee and see if that helps... Maybe give in to the nap thing for an hour....

Cathy

cyndiofthevortex
December 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Good afternoon, everyone! I was promised lots of sunshine last night by my favorite meteorologist but it is instead cloudy and gloomy. And heavy rain is coming from you people west of us tomorrow! No snow but rain, rain, rain. It will be a brown Christmas this year. Now that I'm old it doesn't matter so much.

We are busy here taking care of "Brad" and "Ryan", two of B's former foster children. They are unofficially living with us and their mom just refuses to take care of them. They either need to be with her or in foster care but the area social workers are overwhelmed at this time of year. Are we helping or enabling? How do we know? She is threatening that they will starve if we don't give her money. It's a sad and difficult situation. They are only 6 and 7 years old and have lived in 9 different places in the past 7 months. Prayers, please!

On a cheerier note, we are almost ready for Christmas this year. A little more shopping and cooking and we are ready for the celebration of the birth of Jesus!

Sandy Navas
December 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Okay, Peeps, I'm here. Please don't 'worry' 'bout me. I'm hanging in there just fine. I can't get out today because of the humongous drift behind the garage where I have to back out - and I won't let Al out with the snow shovel and he won't let me out. Locked horns. Biggest problem is that our middle DGD is suffering because she wanted to be here all day long to finish her Christmas presents for her sisters. I offered to do it for her but you know kids!

Mom is a tad better this morning. Her sodium was sky-rocketed - down after being on IVs all night, but not to the level they need it to be. Sis was able to make it up to the hospital to check on her. They should have another reading real soon - they want it back to a normal range before they send her back to the nursing home. Seems as if dehydration is the culprit - which means we have to be more diligent in seeing that she's given water, water, water. Also explains the slight elevation of white blood cells which was indicative of her UTI. So, she'll most likely be with us for some time. Keeping prayers going that God will do what is best for her.

The DGDs were upset that Papa and Nana didn't have their tree up and decorations - so we hit upon a wonderful solution. They came over, pulled out decorations, with our help we got the tree(s) set up and they had an absolute BLAST decorating for us. I told DD that I didn't know why I procrastinated when I had such good help. Still carrying around that BAH HUMBUG attitude though - but I'm getting better.

SNOW. Woke to a gorgeous winter wonderland - and I'm truly snowed in. The wind blew all night long - to the detriment of our outside kitties whose winterized and well-heated homes drifted with snow . . . how that happens with their locations is simply a matter of how strong that wind was. So, the cats are snuggled somewhere else - we haven't seen any of this yet. Not even kitty tracks in the snow.

My mind has been so muddled that I don't know if I am finished for Christmas or not. I did manage to make an early run yesterday with a list of things for making cookies with the DGDs. Hopefully we'll be able to get together Saturday for a wonderful day of making the girls have a sugar high. Plans for about 8 or 9 different types of cookies.

Hugs to all, special prayers where needed, and warm wishes to everyone!

auntiemern
December 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Currently in a state of 'how the heck am I gonna get it all done'. This gawd awful rash has thrown a monkey wrench into my time schedule this year. Normally all done this close to Christmas. Still have a little shopping to do for a couple of people. Back to the doc today, (will get to see my own doc this time), and hopefully get some answers and relief. I continue to develop new areas, daily. It has gotten on my very last nerve. Between the steroids and nerves I was shaking so bad last night I was having a hard time cutting out a picture for GD. Something has to give before long, or they might as well lock me in a padded room. Ok, enough woe is me and complaining. Many others have worse issued to deal with than I do. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need. (and that list gets longer every day :( )