PDA

View Full Version : a bit discouraged

shannonsaulter
December 20th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ilove this site and trying to learn to quilt but I am seeing other newbies make wonderful things and wonder if I am cut out for quilting..not giving up yet but just wondering if I will ever get any good at this...

Winniesfriend
December 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I have just looked at your albums .... you have made some lovely projects , I am a newbie quilter to, I started this year, I have started taking classes which has been very helpful for me, getting those extra little tips, maybe you would find that useful to if you are having problems, but please done disheartened you are well on your way.

Sew Perfect
December 20th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Shannon,

Of course, you're cut out for quilting! I've seen some beautiful things you've made to include your ornaments. I think once Christmas is over, you should go to your local shop and ask them what they have coming up on the schedule as far as classes. You can also get yourself some really good books to help you. Plus there's us! We are here to help you as much as you need it. Please don't give up and don't get discouraged. It takes time.

Find a pattern you can follow (not a tutorial) like "The Yellow Brick Road", of "Turning Twenty Again", "Chip off the Old Block", or "Just Can't Cut it". These are all easy patterns and, in my opinion will help you get down the basic skills of reading instructions, cutting fabric, sewing blocks and matching seams. Make sure to always use a 1/4 inch or a scant 1/4 inch. You can do it!

pcbatiks
December 20th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Shannon, I don't think you should be discouraged. Just looked at your projects in your albums and I don't see anything wrong. I like the things you've made! Everyone here will have different skill levels or areas of quilting that they are better at than others. Just keep quilting........and if you see a mistake just remember the "galloping horse rule".........if you can't see it riding by on a galloping horse then don't worry about it! :D Most of us are learning as we go........so hang in there & keep quilting with the rest of us!

By the way, I had to look at your dog pictures again. I think I squealed about them already but I just have to do it again......they are soooooooooooooo adorable! I just want to hug their little necks! :)

Meli
December 20th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Shannon, I looked over your album and your projects look just fine. I think Leonie's suggestion of classes sounds like a good thing. I wasn't able to take classes in person, so I watched all of Jenny's tutorials (multiple times) and took a few classes on Craftsy.com. When I want try something new, I pull up the appropriate tutorial and watch it, rewinding as necessary, while I work on my project. My laptop really is one of my best quilting tools.

HandsOffItsMine
December 20th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I agree with everyone above. You're doing great stuff, better than I was...that's for sure. :)

Besides Jenny's free tutorials, watch out for Craftsy's classes when they go on special for 15-25 dollars. Different teachers, different types of quilting styles, you can go at your own pace, rewatch over and over.

Learning to sew a consistant 1/4" and scant 1/4" takes practice, just like anything. Try different patterns, maybe some of the Modern quilts. With more graphic linear quilting. Put on an applique or two for accents. The possibilities are endless.

Just think, we'll all have so much fun here in 2013. Can't wait to see what you create next year!

toggpine
December 20th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Remember, some of the "newbies" have been sewing other things before they were bitten by the quilting bug! If you have a good working knowledge of the capabilities of your tools (sewing machines, fabrics, etc.) before you start a new direction on a craft/hobby it gives you a jump start.

Keep at it! The only way to get better is practice!

auntiemern
December 20th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Oh honey. Don't be discouraged. I have been doing this for years and have yet to make one without numerous mistakes. I still cut off points, and have misaligned seams. But in my mind, that is what makes them special. I don't quilt for show, or competition. I quilt for love, and all those little mistakes are what make them uniquely mine. I have looked at your albums and think everything you have done is lovely. I would also encourage you to keep at it. Do like Leonie and Ruby suggested and take a class or two. The craftsy one are great, cuz you can watch them over and over again. You really do have the knack.

Momofmonsters5
December 20th, 2012, 04:07 AM
No matter your level of quilting everyone gets discouraged.....push thru, trust me it passes and like we don't compare our children don't compare your quilts!! The beauty of quilting is that every quilt is an original. Yellow brick road is a great pattern to begin with, my favorite thing about it is that it's not boring!

Madeforyouinma11
December 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Shannon, if quilting is something that you really want to do, then stick with it. We all make mistakes and we learn from them. Your projects are beautiful and they were all made with love. Practice small things and don't try to jump ahead too far too fast. Once you practice and get comfortable, things will all fall into place. Like everyone said, it's our mistakes that make each project special. Most of the time, you will be the only one that knows where the mistake is. Hang in there, 2013 is a brand new year with lots of learning opportunities.... Have fun, that's what it's all about!

Musical_Starling
December 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
A lot of the "newbies" that have showed up lately seem to be pretty experienced, so it's easy to try and compare yourself and think "Geez, I'm never going to get there". But don't worry, you will :) I feel the same way, but I realize that I'm only just beginning. I've been sewing for a while, making purses and small things, but was never concerned about matching seams or a certain size seam, just considered it a good day if I could sew in a straight line lol It's definitely a learning curve, but it just takes practice, practice, practice!

MrsT2u
December 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
First off--if quilting were easy then everyone would be doing it--like the adorable fabric covered Christmas balls that so many are doing--easy to make. But quilting takes a basic skill set as well as a committment of your time and talents. Every quilt I've made has flaws that I knew about but we still use them and no one else knows about the flaws. In that sense, quilting is like a spirtual exercise where flawed human beings connect to something creater than themselves. Quilts in whatever condition, comfort and cheer us because they are . . .

buckeyequilter
December 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Just remember that everyone was new at quilting once. I'm still new at it...but I keep plugging away and maybe someday I'll be able to sew a straight line. Keep going....you're doing fine.

Take a look at the first quilt you made and then take a look at your recent projects. I saw a beautiful table runner and an awesome rag quilt.

Bubby
December 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM
In quilting we learn by doing...and doing and re-doing! Your are part of us, and we won't hear about you quitting! Come on, Shannon, put on your big girl panties and keep sewing! I have been quilting for a bazillion years and I still have days when I can't sew anything right. I agree that you should watch Jenny's tutorials and see if there's something on Craftsy you could learn from, and keep watching and sewing. Hugs...Barb

CrazyMtnLady
December 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Shannon, you have nothing to feel discouraged about. You have done some great projects. I have been sewing since I was in Jr. High School and quilting on and off since my 20s. And I still can't stitch in the ditch without it going wonky! I will never be perfect and don't ever plan to be. I do my best and love every minute of it...... um.... except for the "rippit" part ... which I do often...

Hang in there and keep on quilting.,

nana margaret
December 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am a newbie to quilting and hadn't done any sewing at all for 25years or so. I keep watching Jenny's tutorials and have enrolled on her first course with Craftsy, I would recommend them to anyone like me who's just getting the feel of quilting. I have just finished a very small table topper which has taken me four months to make and yes it's full of mistakes, but it's mine, I made it with my own hands and while it'll never win any medals, I'm happy with it. Don't give up, they say you have to walk before you can run, so maybe we're still at the crawling stage, I bet by the end of 2013 we'll up and racing round the furniture. :) Stick with it.

madampolo
December 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I know how you feel. I've been quilting over 20 years and get discouraged, too, but keep plugging onward. A great site for quilt blocks is Quilt Blocks Galore. http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html It is great because you can sort by the size block you want, and then look for the "one or two pins" for the simple ones. I also saw on their home page an option to click on quilt lessons that include how to calculate yardage.

Kendra Long
December 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Don't give up!! :) I am a beginner too, and I am learning that mistakes are okay and that I can keep going despite of them! It looks like you are doing a good job! If you are looking for a super easy little something to make, I love Jenny's disappearing nine patch tutorial, and the little quilt top that I just put together was really quick and fun. I have been quilting less than a year, but it has become my passion! If you haven't seen the tutorial, check it out! Good luck!!

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/disappearing-patch-quilt-block-tutorial/

bkthomas
December 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
What they said!!! Don't be discouraged Lass!!!

Joyce, I bookmarked that page! Awesome!!!

shannonsaulter
December 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM
TY all!!! I was having a rotten night at work lots of things going on ugh and it got the best of me...Will be finisghing up putting tha baby quilt together right after the 1st of the yr...astay tuned as they say..

lilmouse
December 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Shannon you are doing fine.....I have been at this for at least 10 years or more and spent most of last night...rippit, rippit, rippit, my quilt top looks like a newbie top, I don't care, I love it and am anxious to finish it...I am still learning after all this time...and when I began I didn't know one end of a sewing machine from another....some start with sewing experience under their belt and some start like me! We do what we do because we love it and we pour our heart and soul into it! And then we give it away!

goofyizzy
December 22nd, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hi Shannon,
I just took a look at some of your albums and saw the mosaic glass art you do. I bet you weren't as good at that when you first started it as you are now. We all learn at our own pace. You'll get better with more practice. There is a great little shop in your area called the Country Loft. I took a class there once. The ladies there are wonderful. I think taking classes where you can ask questions and get some personalized attention is one of the best ways to learn. Keep at it.

Ginny B
December 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Shannon, don't be discouraged. I went to your albums and looked at your work. You are doing fine. You will feel better about your work with more experience. Just take your time and have fun. I love your Christmas table runner and the rag quilt you did. I haven't tried a rag quilt yet. It's on my list. Yours turned out great.

Ginny B

Poppytree
December 23rd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Don't be discouraged - your projects are lovely.

Treat yourself to a class in the New Year - they are great for asking questions and correcting mistakes and its so much easier learning with others

I've been quilting for 9 months and I know my rapid progress was due to the fact I attended a brilliant beginners class and learnt all the 'basics' (and I'm also retired so have more spare time than some for practising)

Keep going - you've made a marvellous start. I really love those baubles and the Christmas runner.

bec
December 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Don't give up yet! You've just begun and you are doing a great job. It takes time and practice. I learn every something every time I make a quilt. So keep pluggin' along and enjoy the process. Hugs. :)

meemeecyn
December 23rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
Gee, Shannon...you can't give up with all this support coming your way! I have only been quilting a few years and consider myself still a newbie. I have figured out that the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! So I just keep plugging and trying new things and when I get discouraged, go back to what is familiar and fun. Because enjoying the process is really more important than the finished product. You can do it!!!!