PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher Suds Question

toggpine
December 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Anybody know how to de-suds a dishwasher?

Step-son put the wrong soap in there. It looked like a scene from Home Alone!
I am having trouble getting all of the bubbles out and can't run the cycle until I do. At least the kitchen floor is scrubbed clean now.

CountryHut
December 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
many moons ago my son did the same thing -- totally destory'd my teak wood flooring
-- I use cold water in a spray bottle and spray the bubbles -- worked for me

Diane :)

janluna
December 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Cathy, you could try some cream rinse that you use on your hair. A friend of ours is a hairdresser and she told us that when she was doing her carpets, too much soap was used and she had a mess. A Stanley Steamer guy came to the rescue with cream rinse and it worked. He told her, "what do you do when you wash someone' hair? She said I use cream rinse. He said, "Yes and it helps remove the suds." It has to be just a cream rinse, not a conditioner. I don't know why, but it does work. I hope it helps. Hugs, Jan L.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry about your problem but I'm LOLing at the vision of bubbles everywhere! Hope you can get it all cleaned up! How about a shop vac to suck any remaining soapy water?

countrywench
December 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Fabric conditioner .. Just a small amount and let the machine run for a few secs .. This works a treat :)

toggpine
December 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks!
I am glad to provide amusement for your afternoon!
The cycle had gotten to the point where it had sucked the suds through the system, so repeated rinse cycles are necessary I am afraid.
(How soon was that kid moving out again?!?!?!? If I didn't know better, I'd say he did it on purpose because I've been hounding him to cleanup the kitchen after himself.)

I also "Bing"ed it and am currently trying the table salt method from Good HouseKeeping.
Next up: fabric softener/conditioner since I don't have any creme rinse only conditioner.

Another mad science experiment!

Poppytree
December 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
table salt

toggpine
December 19th, 2012, 08:26 PM
OK!
After further testing - CountryWench had the best solution.

I tried the table salt sprinkled over the suds, (it was more edible in my opinion) and while it might have broken down the immediate suds, it didn't stop them from reappearing when I ran the rinse cycle.

I also sprayed vinegar over the bubbles and inside of the dishwasher as well. That didn't make a difference either.

I added less than a tablespoon of Downy fabric softener and ran the rinse. Nearly all of the bubbles are gone!
My dishes may now smell "April Fresh" for a few loads, but I won't have to worry about static cling either!

Thank you to all who tried to help!
I am sure I'll find it funny and laugh along with the rest of you who stopped in, once I can catch up from the half-day I lost in sewing time!
Wanna guess who's gifts just got moved to the bottom of the to-do list?

Sandy Navas
December 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I worked in a student health service one time and someone left the coffee pot on and the last bit of coffee charred to the bottom of the pot. Our lunch lady put dish washing soap in it to let it soak with the intent to rinse it the next day and then start the coffee. Fast forward, our medical director beat her to the kitchen, didn't know about the soap, made coffee (his was always horrible tasting anyway). Result? We discovered that suds can travel and they came out the kitchen door and down the hallway about six feet. What a funny sight.

Musical_Starling
December 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Oh Cathy, this is definitely funnier to us than it is to you, but thanks for the chuckle today, even if it was at your expense! Also, not sure if anyone knows this trick, but I have a GE dishwasher and learned today after the repair man's visit that if you hit start and then start again, the drain pump kicks in and just sucks all of the water out. No running through a cycle and making it suds up even more! Not sure if other dishwashers do this though. My start button also says reset underneath, so I guess that's what the second press is for.

Sandy, your story reminded me of something my Dad did one day. He's quite the charmer, and loves to play tricks. Well one day he was visiting friends of his and while the lady of the house wasn't watching, he put some dish liquid in the electric kettle. So then after a little chat she offered him a cup of tea (as was the custom) and he said "Sure, I'd love to have a cup!" So off she goes to boil the kettle. Well, you can all guess what happened to the dish liquid. Funny part was, she was blaming the kettle lol Started screaming at her husband to come look because the kettle was all slimy and was starting to foam up. Of course then Dad had to let the cat out of the bag because he was laughing so hard he could barely breathe lol Quite the charmer he is... Also put firecrackers in my uncle's cigarettes once, but that's a story for another time :icon_giggle:

Gayle8675309
December 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
LOL...thanks for the chuckle. I'm glad you figured out how to solve your bubble problem! :)

Gayle

Sandy Navas
December 20th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Also put firecrackers in my uncle's cigarettes once, but that's a story for another time :icon_giggle:

My Dad used to do that to one of Mom's brothers!!

auntiemern
December 20th, 2012, 02:18 AM
My DD did that with bubble bath one time. Put almost the entire bottle in the tub, and closed the shower curtain. The bubbles were to the ceiling. Kids. Can't live without em, but can't hang em from a hook either. Although I have threatened to hang the oldest DGD from a hanger in her closet. LOL. With the coat on of course so her arms didn't hurt, lol.

Musical_Starling
December 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM
My DD did that with bubble bath one time. Put almost the entire bottle in the tub, and closed the shower curtain. The bubbles were to the ceiling. Kids. Can't live without em, but can't hang em from a hook either. Although I have threatened to hang the oldest DGD from a hanger in her closet. LOL. With the coat on of course so her arms didn't hurt, lol.

I saw a video a while back of one of DH's cousins filling a whirlpool tub with bubble bath. The kid was in the tub and you couldn't see him, just a small dent where he got in lol

You could always hang her up like my Dad used to do to my great grandfather. He was a tiny little man, and Dad used to pick him up and hang him on the door hook by his suspenders and leave him there for G-grandmother to find lol Told you he's a charmer!

Sandy Navas
December 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
When DD was in military school one of the girls in the dorm upset her roommate - so they collaborated and decided to put NAIR in her shampoo. Needless to say, the girl smelled the Nair and didn't use it . . . don't know if the girl who did it was caught or not. I do know that DD wasn't kicked out over it.

Several of these tricks were pulled when I was in basic training: 1) put plastic wrap over the toilet and then lower the seat; 2) put shave cream in the hand of a loud snorer and then tickle their nose with a feather; 3) short-sheet someone - and someone put soap powder in someone's bed; 4) I was involved with our last night escapade which included taping wet sheets all down the hallway and newspaper over our SGT's door (we knew she was out celebrating with friends). She was not happy.

Musical_Starling
December 21st, 2012, 03:27 AM
Several of these tricks were pulled when I was in basic training: 1) put plastic wrap over the toilet and then lower the seat

This one is a lot funnier if you sprinkle some Eno on top of the plastic wrap :icon_giggle:

Bubby
December 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
I agree with jane....table salt will deflate the bubbles! Just sprinkle away your problem.

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
Eno? Eno? Looked it up and none of the definitions apply here.

bakermom
December 21st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Many years ago when my kids were small the hot water hose on my washer burst. I had a box of Dreft sitting on the back of the washer in FRONT of the hose. I was busy and kept thinking the water seemed a bit loud but thought i forgot the close the lid. Came around the corner to a river of suds flowing down the hall and into the kitchen. I had to wade thru the suds, reach thru the hot water to turn it off then figure out what to do with all the water and suds streaming thru the house. DH was not home-no cell phones then so i couldn't call him. i got the shopvac out but it filled up so fast I ended up sitting the lid minus the base on the back porch while it sucked the water out. DD1 was maybe 8-her job was to keep the other 4 from"helping."

madampolo
December 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
You guys are just too funny! I have never had that happen, but if it does, I know what to do!

Musical_Starling
December 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Eno? Eno? Looked it up and none of the definitions apply here.

Forgot you guys probably don't have that in the US lol It's an effervescent antacid powder that you add to water and it foams up REALLY well :D

toggpine
December 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Eno = Alkaseltzer!

Well, I can see this conversation went downhill very quickly! It seems we have all had our bubbly moments!

janluna
December 22nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Cathy, I wasn't laughing! I was trying to help!!! Now, I'm laughing at everybody else. Fabric softner, cream rinse, same thing in basics. It takes care of soap. That's what counts! I'd put his presents down on the list too. Especially if he knew what he was doing! And did it anyway!! Then for sure, he'd be on my "List". Glad the bubbles finally stopped. Ok so now, I am sorta smiling! Hugs, Jan L.
P.S. Maybe you should go back and read what Sandy and Dee and the others wrote. You might learn a way to get even. Naw, never mind, you're too sweet. Jan

countrywench
December 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
OK!
After further testing - CountryWench had the best solution.

I tried the table salt sprinkled over the suds, (it was more edible in my opinion) and while it might have broken down the immediate suds, it didn't stop them from reappearing when I ran the rinse cycle.

I also sprayed vinegar over the bubbles and inside of the dishwasher as well. That didn't make a difference either.

I added less than a tablespoon of Downy fabric softener and ran the rinse. Nearly all of the bubbles are gone!
My dishes may now smell "April Fresh" for a few loads, but I won't have to worry about static cling either!

Thank you to all who tried to help!
I am sure I'll find it funny and laugh along with the rest of you who stopped in, once I can catch up from the half-day I lost in sewing time!
Wanna guess who's gifts just got moved to the bottom of the to-do list?

Brilliant ! Reason i know how to do this , i because i work in a laundry and have had to sort out over soapy machine on many occasion !
Mindy
xx

toggpine
December 23rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
P.S. Maybe you should go back and read what Sandy and Dee and the others wrote. You might learn a way to get even. Naw, never mind, you're too sweet. Jan

I know you all weren't really laughing at me - just with me. It was just going to take a bit to burn off the mad before I thought it was funny. By the way, the dishwasher still smells "April Fresh"!

Trust me, if I thought I wouldn't be the one to clean up the mess left behind, I'd consider it. I'm not as sweet as you have been led to believe.
I have my moments, but I'm not as bad as my sister. The guy she thought (or maybe just hoped) was her "sweetie" called and asked to borrow some money. She said sure. Then he explained it was for a ticket to fly another girl out to see him on spring break. She said she would go ahead and book the flight. She booked the expensive "streamlined" trip, sent the copy of the flight info/receipt to him, and then when he paid her back a few weeks later, she canceled the flight. She then managed to get the poor girl on every connecting flight from Seattle to NY. It took her over 24 hours to get there and the return trip wasn't much better. This is the copy she sent to the girl, whom she knew. She made enough money on the difference to buy a new kitchen table and 6 chairs.
If I want help plotting revenge - I call her.

Musical_Starling
December 23rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
I know you all weren't really laughing at me - just with me. It was just going to take a bit to burn off the mad before I thought it was funny. By the way, the dishwasher still smells "April Fresh"!

Trust me, if I thought I wouldn't be the one to clean up the mess left behind, I'd consider it. I'm not as sweet as you have been led to believe.
I have my moments, but I'm not as bad as my sister. The guy she thought (or maybe just hoped) was her "sweetie" called and asked to borrow some money. She said sure. Then he explained it was for a ticket to fly another girl out to see him on spring break. She said she would go ahead and book the flight. She booked the expensive "streamlined" trip, sent the copy of the flight info/receipt to him, and then when he paid her back a few weeks later, she canceled the flight. She then managed to get the poor girl on every connecting flight from Seattle to NY. It took her over 24 hours to get there and the return trip wasn't much better. This is the copy she sent to the girl, whom she knew. She made enough money on the difference to buy a new kitchen table and 6 chairs.
If I want help plotting revenge - I call her.

Yep, I agree that you don't need any advice from us in the revenge department! Your sister is goooooood! lol

toggpine
December 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
She did that in her mid-twenties. She has about another twenty years of experience on her now!
I just have to remember not to tick her off!

Advice is always welcome! I may have to get even with her someday!

Sandy Navas
December 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
I did work with a woman whose husband truly pi$$ed her off. She waited about two weeks and washed fiber glass curtains with his underwear. Problem solved.

Love your sister!