PDA

View Full Version : A WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE!

RFREE
December 19th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Not anything to do with quilting but I just had to share. I posted pictures of my sewing room on Facebook the other day for one of my sisters to see. I got several responses but one in particular started a 30 year walk down memory lane. The man (Rick)who got me and my husband together 30 years ago ask about my room. Anyway I hadn't talked to him in about 26 years. He started telling me he had went to the resort/restaurant that me,him and my DH worked way back in the day.Apparently he remembered my DH borrowing his label maker to make labels of mine and his name and he stuck it on a pot rack above the sink in the dish washing room.( I was the dish washer,My DH was the cook and the guy I was talking to was the kitchen manager).Yall keep in mind I was 17 and my (now)DH was 24. He told me he was shocked to find the labels still there!! SOOOOO I thought how cool would it be to go back and make pictures and possibly scrape the labels off and make an album for my DH for Christmas?? Long story short. Called owner told her story she thought it was a wonderful idea.Me and my DD went Saturday and made tons of pictures but I could NOT get the labels off the rack.To brittle so I left them be and took close up pictures.I have pictures of me and my DH way back then standing in the dish room I am going to put in this album too. The lady said she hasn't booked up for the April quilt show yet but will be booked for sure. So anybody interested in coming to the quilt show in Paducah Ky and need a room check out KEN BAR LODGE in Gilbertsville ky on the internet. She is a super sweet lady and even offered to let me set up a table there at the lodge for free and sell my stuff all weekend.NO CHARGE! Can't beat that with a stick. Anyway I thought you guys would get a kick out of my idea of a very special surprise.
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

lilmouse
December 19th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Rhonda, what a cute story....back in the day....sounds funny but is so true...cool that the labels are still there...glad you got pictures and it is awesome that she is going to let you set up a table there! Let us know what he thinks of the album!

SuzyQue
December 19th, 2012, 01:22 AM
What a special surprise that will be for your hubby. Will you be able to get it finished before Christmas? How much fun that will be to rewalk that path and cherish those memories! Too fun!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 19th, 2012, 01:41 AM
That is so amazing! What a great story!

pcbatiks
December 19th, 2012, 02:15 AM
That's a great idea Rhonda........your husband will be surprised! So do we get to see the picture from "way back in the day"?

auntiemern
December 19th, 2012, 02:50 AM
What an amazing story. What a small world this really is. I have stayed at the KenBar before when DH has been fishing bass tournament on Kentucky Lake. I love the area down there. My favorite place down there is Patty's Restaurant in that little quaint town that I can't remember the name of at the moment. It is a little village in the land between the lakes area. Might just have to come down for the quilt show in 2013. Yes we want to see the pics from 'back in the day', so please share.

Monique
December 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
That is a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Bubby
December 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
What a wonderful story...too bad those labels couldn't be removed! Sweet memories....love it!!

MRoy
December 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Rhonda, what great memories...and to think those labels are still there. A good omen for you and your DH sticking together!

Marilyn, Patty's is in Grand Rivers...with their 1 1/2" pork chops and mile high meringue on the pies.

Blondie
December 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Rhonda, I so enjoyed reading this post. Amazing that the stickers are still there; I like your idea for the album.
I think the bonus for you is the lady at the KenBar. How wonderful is that! And her offer even better.
Blessings to you, dear one.

Blondie

grannyann
December 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
What a great story.Thank you for sharing such a nice story with us.Merry Christmas.

Musical_Starling
December 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
What a great story, and such a sweet idea for hubby! :)

Jess1377
December 19th, 2012, 09:43 AM
That is going to be such a sweet special surprise! I just loved reading this and glad you shared your story :)

CrazyMtnLady
December 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Great story. I am sure your DH will enjoy the scrapbook as much as you enjoy making it.

Lisapc
December 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
What a wonderful story. Maybe you could make a deal with the owner that if she ever remodels or sells that you can have the pot rack? Even if it is kept in the garage or basement it would surely be a treasure for you both.

Sandy Navas
December 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
That one choked me up - tears almost bursting. What a wonderful surprise for DH!! That, my dear Rhonda, is a love story that was meant to 'stick-to-it' through the ages. A true sign of true love!!

RFREE
December 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks everybody. I will post pics of the before and after if I can #1 find the old ones and my camera can take a pic of a picture ha ha. Yes I can get it done by christmas(the album) the day we made all the pictures I went immediately to wal-mart and developed them. Yes the little restaurant a couple of you are talking about is "PATTYS" and if anybody is interested I have the recipe for their famous 1 1/2" chops. Super simple!!!!!! Just let me know!!

Gayle8675309
December 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
What a sweet story! Time goes by so fast, doesn't it?

Gayle

RFREE
December 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Hey everybody I just got the album done. I found several pictures from 1984 when we worked there. Believe it or not one of the photos has the labels in view right there on the pot rack. My DD spotted it immediately .It isn't a frontal view and you cant read them but they are there. What a blast from the past.We were sooooo young. I haven't tried to make pictures of the pictures yet but I will later. Hope everyone is having a good night.
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

SuzyQue
December 20th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Can't wait to peek into your past. How cool that the older pics had the stickers in them, too. So fun!