PDA

View Full Version : Hanukkah

Meli
December 18th, 2012, 02:49 AM
As an homage to my Jewish ancestors, my family and my best friend's family get together one night during December to celebrate Hanukkah. It may or may not take place during the 8 nights of Hanukkah. We're generally close. This year, it was tonight. After a dinner of potato latkes, baked chicken, salad and fried bread dough, we passed out little baggies of foil wrapped chocolate coins called Hanukkah Geld. The kids finally decided they were going to play the dreidl game. My youngest announced: "I don't think I can play. I don't have any Hanukkah Guilt."

Obviously I need to polish my Jewish Mother skills. I'm apparently slipping!

lilmouse
December 18th, 2012, 05:28 AM
How sweet; I think that is really neat!

MayinJerset
December 18th, 2012, 07:00 AM
So nice that your family and friends celebrate together, it makes the day more meaningful.

Monique
December 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a wonderful tradition.

Bubby
December 18th, 2012, 09:23 AM
That's a wonderful family tradition...

bkthomas
December 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Sounds Wonderful!!!

mamaquilt
December 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Every family tradition should be carried on.

I guess your little one doesn't understand the difference between Geld and guilt, but the first can easily be followed by the second.

Michèle

Meli
December 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Michele, my "little one" is 17, 6'2" tall and about 250 pounds. He never feels guilt, which made his comment all the more amusing. All in all, it was a fun night.

I guess your little one doesn't understand the difference between Geld and guilt, but the first can easily be followed by the second.

Michèle

Jess1377
December 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Sounded like you had a great evening!! :)

Blondie
December 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Oh my, how I giggled and smiled at your droll comment. How very true

And Meli, my half Jewish Mom got the guilting down pat; come and take some lessons from her. LOL.

Michèle

Sandy Navas
December 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
So cute. Yesterday my SIL showed up with sugar cookies for the DGDs to decorate (talk about sugar highs). When they opened the box the cookies were Hanukkah cookies - star of David, dreidel, menorah, etc. SIL mentioned she'd stopped by the Jewish grocery. The girls were excited that they also celebrated Hanukkah and had more fun decorating the cookies than they did the gingerbread house I got them.

They have some very close Jewish friends here so they did a toast to them!

auntiemern
December 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
What a wonderful tradition to share as a family. Blondie, I knew you had to have some Hebrew in you somewhere. Can't think of any other reason a southern gal would say, oy. lol

janluna
December 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Happy Hanukkah to all our Hebrew friends! I also have some Hebrew blood running through me. I have dear friends who are Jewish and we have celebrated with them through the years. Passover is especially meaningful to us. Hugs, Jan L.