PDA

View Full Version : Started Christmas Shopping early this year!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, I started early this year, Dec. 17th! Last year it was Dec. 21! I got it all done in 3 hours at Target, WalMart and Shoe Carnival. My grandkids get gifts and the big kids get $$$. It only hurts in January when I'm paying it all off! I bought big pillowcase size felt gift bags from Michaels for $4 for each kid, I just stuff each of them full of the gifts, no wrapping paper for this grandma! They will be sorted and wrapped and stashed (that's the hardest part--this house has no stash room!) by tomorrow. Nothing goes under the tree anymore, so we just haul it all out on Christmas day and let the frenzy begin.

csarina
December 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Christmas shopping? Have I missed something???

I no longer do any at all. We came to an agreement with the children.....we have 5, 13 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. The money they would spend on us they spend on the children. There is nothing we need. We usually get chocolate or some such which does my waistline no good at all. It works great. I buy one box of Thorntons continental chocolates, when they have gone, that it. We open a bottle of wine with out supper and toast the family........

For years I started my chrsitmas shopping in the January, then it all had to be packaged, posted etc......aarrggghhhh.......was so pleased when we eventually got the children to agree to go down this route, the grandchildren get what they want so everyone is happy.

auntiemern
December 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM
So very happy for you. You have the right idea with the big bags. Wouldn't fly around here though with my 'big kid'. Oh no!!! I have to stand and wrap everything. Good thing, mine aren't allowed in the basement. (still waiting for that to get finished).

Sew Perfect
December 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I noticed that my daughter's purse was falling apart. I was going to make her a new one, but decided to order one off of QVC this morning. I've gotten to where I don't like Christmas shopping unless it is in January, or the day after Christmas. I like online shopping as well...just don't like the crowds anymore.

As for you, congrats. You are a wise woman. :-)

Sasha Anzures
December 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM
i USUALLY shop all year long as i usually get about 25 people gifts...most kids and niece and nephews... this year i didn't do it and i am now scrambling to get just my immediate family gifts...i think the others will get kisses and hugs and call it good!!!! lol but i found that if i do it year round it doenst tax my wallet!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
i USUALLY shop all year long as i usually get about 25 people gifts...most kids and niece and nephews... this year i didn't do it and i am now scrambling to get just my immediate family gifts...i think the others will get kisses and hugs and call it good!!!! lol but i found that if i do it year round it doenst tax my wallet!!!!Shopping all year around Just spreads the pain Out over the months.

SuzyQue
December 17th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Jean----you probably do have stash room in your home......it is just full with your own stash!!! The bags are a great idea.....paper, tree, and time savers! I had thought of making some with Christmas fabric when the grands finally appear............someday! By then I will no longer be able to wrap gifts, although I do love to look at them under the tree all month! I hear you about the Jan. bills! YIKES!!!! I found when I bought all year, I bought too much!!! Better to save all year and buy all in one big spree, for me!

toggpine
December 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The thing that worked best for me was to buy their Christmas present the same month as their birthday. You have to have a $ limit for each person and a place to store the stuff. Opaque tote bins in the garage/shop worked well.
I need to get back to that. It really worked well, and was less stressful. You can still make the pillowcase wrappings. Just buy the Christmas prints during the "After" or "Really Early" sales. (Heck, who says they have to be Christmas prints anyway?) Everybody can use an extra pillow case! Most places sell gift cards all year too. Again another way to ease the budget into the holidays!

Lisapc
December 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I am usually done by the 15th of the month. No matter when I start I usually finish around the same time. I have a few small things but not "the gift" that either my daughter, son, granddaughter or hubby are looking for yet. I will be going out Wednesday to do that and sadly finances are limited this year so only what I have to get will be gotten. We never buy toys unless it is for a birthday or Christmas so it is really important to me that they get to enjoy their Christmas. I hope they do!

nana margaret
December 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Two years ago, husband and I, my three grown up children and their partners all decided to put a cap on the amount of money we spend on each other for gifts, so it's 25 per couple. The only exception is our baby grandson who will be two in february, we're allowed to spoil him as much as we want! I have a very small family, I only have one brother who is married with a family and my husband has no family at all. My parents and my husband's passed away many years ago, so we need a few more grandchildren to boost our numbers before we become extinct!! I tend to buy Christmas cards and wrapping paper etc in the January sales and Christmas shopping, well all I can say is thank goodness for Amazon. :)

Sandy Navas
December 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Our 'extended' families (brothers, sisters, etc., nieces and nephews) have never been close enough to enjoy Christmas with each other - so we all decided no presents - nothing shipped, etc. We only buy for the grandkids and we've used those large bags from Michaels a lot. But, since they are outgrowing their house, Mom and Dad asked that we try to curtail the big and silly items . . . so we send the kids magazine subscriptions (Highlights, Smithsonian, age-appropriate) and family memberships to Science City and the KC Zoo. That's what the kids look forward to, and they do enjoy them. I've made them PJs and bought t-shirts to match this year - and stockings will have Tic-Tacs with the embroidered cases I've been making (if I get them all finished) and the sign that says: "Heard you've been naughty, so here's the scoop, all you get for Christmas, is Snowman poop."

Jean Sewing Machine
December 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I just went to Michaels for more bags, and they are half price, $1.99! That's cheap wrapping paper! I thought I had some left over from last year, but I guess the kids took their loot home with them in the bags. That's OK, we need fresh bags anyway!

Sandy, love the "snowman poop" story! I've got a few that deserve that!

AndreaC
December 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Seems like most of the people on my list this year wanted gift cards. I had to laugh that 90% of my shopping was done at Kroger- our grocery store! But they have a large gift card wall with quite a selection, and it sure beat driving all over town. It was painful at the register, though...

madampolo
December 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I only have three grandchildren, and they live out of state. They really don't know me well at all. I think I am some distant grandmother. The reason for that is the daughter-in-law I have who prefers her side of the family. I made the three of them one I Spy quilt. It has arrived, but they are waiting for Christmas to open it. My daughter, unfortunately, doesn't want children, so I have a grand-horse itstead. He is a little hard to fit in a crib though, and I need a giant burp cloth to burp him!

Claire Hallman
December 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I only have three grandchildren, and they live out of state. They really don't know me well at all. I think I am some distant grandmother. The reason for that is the daughter-in-law I have who prefers her side of the family. I made the three of them one I Spy quilt. It has arrived, but they are waiting for Christmas to open it. My daughter, unfortunately, doesn't want children, so I have a grand-horse itstead. He is a little hard to fit in a crib though, and I need a giant burp cloth to burp him!
My grandmother lived out of state when I was little and sent each of us $1 the first of each month. I always looked forward to that and thought very kindly of her. I was thrilled when she moved to an apt up the street from us and I could see her often.
You never know when a kid will change their mind. My son and his wife have been together 14-15 years, I never thought it would happen but they are expecting their first baby in about 4 weeks.:D

auntiemern
December 19th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I can't even imagine how that would feel. I am so very close, both emotionally and physically to my GK's. They are only 5 miles from me, and most of the time I see them almost every day. I do have a tendency to spoil them a little though. Did have to cut back a little on the spending this year though with everything else that has been going on. It will be easier as they get older, but I don't want that either. I love that they still all believe in Santa Clause. I will be heartbroken, when there is no one left that still believes. Well now that I am completely depressed I will end this post, lol.

Lisaau
December 19th, 2012, 06:47 AM
l've only got my 2 neices and my nephew to spoil l cant have kids and my eldest neice is 13 now and just wants money.......it wont be long until her brother follows suit his 10..he still wants presents and my youngest neice is 8 ..so shes still beleives..her reply when my mum asked her what she wanted for christmas was "stuff"...........