PDA

View Full Version : Monday - and I betcha it flies by quickly

Blondie
December 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM

It's Monday Folksies! Christmas Eve is in 7 days! Has the realization dawned on me yet? Heckfire, shoot! No.
I seem to be spending more days putting out fires than keeping my substantial backside home and in front of the machine. Oh well, in the face of eternity, it is no big deal, right? What doesn't get done won't be that important anyway. I hope. I tell myself that. And I am generally not a good liar; even to myself.

On Saturday after work, Sis and I gave each other a beauty treatment as promised. We enjoyed it so much we are planning on doing it again in the near future. Then since we were gloriously beautiful, we went to a Christmas Open House at the LQS. Good eats, the owner is a dear lady who seems to get sweeter each year. I sat for a brief moment and tried out a new machine she has from the Babyloc folks. It is a sit down long arm only needing 4 sq ft of space. I think I could get used to that but at

34159 I will have to dream on and get used to my spastic fmq practice. Met a nice lady there who has seen some of Jenny's tuts. Evelyn, if you are peeking in here, say hello!
After a day running all over I did have to ring the bell at the Salvation Army bucket. Saturday evening and Sunday. I will be doing some more, as it is a blessing for me to see some faces of the angels who put in their hard earned money to help others. I highly recommend voluntering for this, Especially if you are feeling overhwhelmed by the hardness of the world. I slap a smile on my face, strand there and ring that bell. In the rain, in the cold and it was wonderful.

The flu is really making its rounds here, so keep those hands good and clean. Don 't forget to smile; Santa's little elves are watching !

Blessings to all and prayers for each one.

Musical_Starling
December 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Merry Monday Blondie!! Christmas is getting closer and closer, and the panic is starting to set in now lol Still no tree up, not even a decoration, but lots of presents to put under the bugger when it does go up in the next couple of days! And lots of presents finished over the weekend. Finished the top for nan-in-law's twister wreath wallhanging, finished the top of the dresden table topper for my Mom, finished the cutest little apron and chef's hat for my nephew, got one table runner done for my sisters, the other one I'm hoping to bang out soon after I do some regular chores (yuck, chores). Also made a minkee scarf for MIL that I may re-do the ends on. I finished it the way Jenny does on her vid, but I really don't like it. Looks a little too amateur for my liking. Had a few good frogging moments, especially finishing off the chef's hat. Used a sticky-back velcro that stated it was able to be sewn on and gummed up my needle and my presser foot so bad I thought I would have to throw the whole works out! Needle wasn't worth saving (it was getting close to the end of its life anyway) but the foot thankfully came clean with a little goo gone and a good scrub. And all the sticky-ickyness gave me some wicked "nesting" with my bobbin thread, and I was using the 3-stitch zig zag stitch. After ripping out that row THREE times, I left it lol Kid is 3, he's really not going to care if there's a big blue blob on the back of his hat lol At this point maybe I'll stick a label on the back using some iron-on fusible and nobody will be the wiser :D

Boots is finally back to loving on her little sister after her surgery on Friday. Of course Tinkerbelle came home smelling like "doctor" and Boots had a fit, but finally a breakthrough this morning: her first post-op bath from her big sister :) So happy to see that, I told The Giant that it was the best Christmas present I could have ever received. Doesn't take much to make me happy I guess lol

Have a good Monday all! Lots of prayers being said :)

MayinJerset
December 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Good Early Morning, DH isn't up making the coffee, guess he's sleeping a little late today. He is usually up very early on Monday for his Color Theary class but today is the last meeting so it should be a short one especially since his professor said she was bringing in doughnuts. He should be back home early so we can go dryer shopping. One that died is 13 years old and I got sticker shock at today's prices.

Presents wrapped and tree up with lights but not decorated. I planned to do the decorating yesterday during daylight hours so I would get the ornaments placed kind of evenly but it was dark and raining all day. Did most of yesterday's To Do List and boy does my body know it. I'm not rushing to finish sewing any Christmas gifts as I'm not making any this year, I've gifted my family and friends in past years. Later tonight I'll be baking some Cranberry breads, one of which we'll take to friend's tomorrow for our Holiday lunch. Will bake more breads and cookies on Sunday for Christmas Eve at DS#1's and Christmad Day with DS#2 and family. It feels strange not to be hosting family at Christmas or having friends over for lunch as I've done for many years, guess it's my turn to rest and enjoy which I will.

Blondie, Glad you and sis enjoyed your day of beauty.
My coffee should be ready for me so I'll say Good Day to everyone. May in Jersey

Jean Sewing Machine
December 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Good morning! I have decided, Blondie, that you need to be my calendar in the upcoming YEARS! I'll never remember what day it is now that I don't have a class schedule to follow. I could always check my mental calendar, saying--what did I do yesterday, oh, yes, had class, it had to be Tuesday or Thursday. Without that time marker, one day will seem like another, and I'm going to be so confused. I feel like I need to put a calendar on the wall and mark off the days with Xs to keep track of it. Somehow, that seems soooo wrong!

I didn't get much sewing done this weekend. All my grand plans for Christmas projects have gone out the window. I have some placemats half made for my sister, and some fabric bowls done for some friends. I'm working on some very soft infinity scarves, and I have a baby quilt to do on the longarm for a friend. I think I need to work on that today. I'm going to do grandma duty 4 out of 5 days this week, which means keeping my head on straight and lining up in front of the grandkids' elementary school by 3:30 each day to pick them up. Hope my flighty brain doesn't fail me and I forget them! Have you ever forgotten your kids? I think I did this once or twice in my years as a mother of elementary school kids. There the poor kids sat on the front porch. We lived directly across from the school, so they only had to wait a bit until their scatter brained mom came home! How can you forget your kid is coming home from school? I think I was fabric shopping, no wonder I lost track of time!

Blondie, thanks for reminding me that next Monday is Christmas Eve. When panic will step in and motivate me to shop, I'm not sure. I guess it will be some time this week! No tree yet, oh well, it will get there. I hate taking the tree down, and now I'm protesting putting it up. It means lots of work, in the past few years, my daughter has put my tree up for me! Wonder if I can work that guilt trip on her again this year?

MRoy
December 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Good morning! I'm pretty much ready for Christmas except for extra groceries. I'm using a table top tree this year so it was much quicker and easier. I have one more ruffled scarf to finish this evening.

Dee, for your minky scarf, check out this video by Heirloom Creations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFdZIayxsU) for a different way to sew the ends together.

Wishing everyone a great Monday. I hope your week is getting off to a good start!

Bubby
December 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Good Morning!

All is well here this morning...DH is almost ready to leave for work and Molly just ate her breakfast. She will be going back to bed for her first nap in a few minutes.

I have some sort of glitch in my embroidery files and need to get that sorted today. This morning I have a hair appointment...much needed. We had a quiet weekend. DH worked a double shift Friday, so he was wiped out all weekend. We got out of the house once to go to WalMart.

I try to keep my Mondays loose and easy, so I'll check in with you all later. Hugs, Barb

buckeyequilter
December 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Good morning....

Well the Christmas countdown has begun. The kids and grands will be coming to my house on the 23rd for Christmas. I have all their gifts, just have to get them wrapped and under the tree. On Saturday morning (early) I will do my grocery shopping for all my Christmas festivities. I have not baked the first cookie this year but I will do the no-bake - I love those.

I have 2 gifts to try to finish up and I'm going to be pushing myself. I am doing a quilt for DD and a wallhanging for DH. I need to finish up a couple of those ornaments too and stick them on the tree. After the Christmas stuff is done my sewing room will get a good cleaning and some organizing. Then I'll worry about what projects I want to start with in the New Year.

Well I need to get my day started. Wishing everyone a wonderful day...prayers and hugs to all.

CrazyMtnLady
December 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Good Morning all. Not that I want to be up yet, but had a very fitful night of sleep and just decided that it was easier to get up and face the day then to lie there in bed and not be able to sleep.

I am as ready for Christmas as I am going to get. I think we are going to wait until after Christmas to buy ourselves anything. We will hit the sales. I may go out and get my little Christmas tree out of the storage bus and set it up. I do have my SSS gifts that I can put under it. :)

Not going to get much sewing done in the next few days. We have to go get a load of hay for our hay tent. And we are almost out of wood so we are going to have to go cut a load of wood and get it split and stacked in the house. My hip is screaming at me already and I am just thinking about it. :( I really want to get my Eggnog Cookie dough rolled out and baked. I was going to do it yesterday but we had company.

Have a great day. Hugs and prayers to all.

MayinJerset
December 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Donna, Eggnog cookies sound interesting, could you post the recipe? May

Sandy Navas
December 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yawn! Is the sun up yet? Stretch! Moan!! Ahhhhhh. No work today - well, that's not true! Family coming for lunch and believe me, I am not ready. So glad it's family. As soon as Al shows his pretty head he's running me to the deli to pick up food, drinks and dessert! Then a trip to pick up all the grand daughters - Mom and Daddy make another trip to the OB today. Not the best planning for me, but what the HEY!.

I can't wait to slow down a bit so I can show off my 'treasures' from my recent return to work. Luckily there isn't another sale scheduled for several weeks although one may materialize soon. Not sure as yet. The tales from this recent sale are many.

So, let me recover, I'll be back. I have been doing a brief sneak-in so I can keep up with people. Sure miss my sewing room though.

Till I am back to 'NORMAL' . . . prayers, warm wishes, loving going out to all.

auntiemern
December 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM
It is morning. That is all I have to say at this point. Rash is back with a vengeance and didn't sleep last night. Heading to docs so I am there when they open. They WII look at me.

Monique
December 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Good morning friends. I am back from an awesome weekend with Greg & Roxy and the DOG - JERSEY. I got along with the dog although she still makes me a little nervous. On Saturday we went on a tour, an apple cider tasting, a chocolate place, and a little Christmas market. I did buy a few things. Yesterday on the way home, we stopped, and I got a few more Christmas gifts. Tree is not up YET, maybe today. We had freezing rain here yesterday. I was glad to be home. I am almost finished the place mats, just a few more stitches to put in.

Unfortunately I did not get everything done that I wanted, to give as gifts. I guess I better start in January.

Well I am off. I missed you all this weekend. I will try and catch up. Take care everyone.

CountryHut
December 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
- Morning

Diane :)

pcbatiks
December 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Good morning forum friends............I must get busy with the FMQ on MIL's lap quilt again........too bad it takes practice, practice, practice.....when we just want to be good at it right away! I need to wrap gifts and do some cleaning. Hope each of you have a productive day finishing your Christmas projects!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 17th, 2012, 11:10 AM
- Morning

Diane :)Diane, your one word speaks volumes!

Ginny B
December 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Good morning and Happy Monday to all. DH and I have off again today and will be decorating our tree later. It is actually in the house so that's a good start. LOL Yesterday we had a great visit with dh's daughter, sil and, of course, Max. :) The rest of the weekend was busy, busy, busy. Shopping, sewing, decorating, tree-getting. I finished the quilt for dh's co-worker and he will drop it off later. (will take a picture before it leaves. It feels weird giving a quilt I made to be used by someone I don't know. I am going to miss it and wonder how it's doing. :( ) Did some shopping (online) this morning and will be heading out shortly to finish up my gifts for dh. Then back home to do some more sewing on other projects. DH will be cooking tonight so I don't have to stop my little elfish chores for that.

Ok, off I go to make things happen. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Ginny B

cyndiofthevortex
December 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Good morning, all. I'm so glad to be greeted by so many of you early in the morning. I don't always post here but I love to read about your comings and goings.

DH is home today with either a bad cold or the beginning of the flu. He is in the Isolation Ward here, otherwise known as the living room as it's off at it's own end of the house. DSs and I will begin the Making of the Christmas Cookies. It seems more important if I use caps to write it out.

Yesterday I went out and made a sales clerk really mad at Ben Franklin! I didn't mean to! Honest! I had a coupon so I drove through the snowstorm (very slowly) to buy a much needed (I'll tell you what year I actually use it) piece of fabric to go with another fabric for a quilt that's just an idea right now. I spent about 20 minutes trying to decide between two fabrics that were practically identical but different enough that I had to hem and haw over them. Then they announce the store was closing in 5 minutes! I had to find someone to come back to fabrics to measure my piece and an older woman came back with her old-fashioned fake-quilted coat on! She wanted to go home and here I was out in bad weather buying a piece of fabric. At least I bought the whole piece so she didn't have to cut it, and it was an even two yards so she didn't have to do any math. But I did feel terrible about it and all of my "Merry Christmas" and "so sorry to keep you late" and "drive safely home" comments didn't warm her chilly heart. So I feel a bit of quilter's guilt this morning. I'll have to wear a disguise the next time I go in there. And I have another coupon for Christmas Eve! It's right on the way to wherever I go so I can hardly be blamed for stopping in, and there was that one other batik that I just loved...

Lisapc
December 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Good morning to those that are having them and God bless to those that are not.

My little guy (8) started coughing at dinner last night. He is still coughing. He has croup and serious post nasal drip and needs that liquid steroid to calm his throat. The last time he needed it was a year ago and I am waiting (hour 3 now) for the nurse to call me back so I can either get him in there or have Zoe his doctor call the script in so he can get some rest. My eyes already hurt from lack of sleep and hubby called from work and he sounds as if he is asleep.

I got a lot done yesterday and will post pictures later if I am awake.

Jean, panic has set in but I just can't go Christmas shopping yet. I too tired and the kid is sick. I will go Wednesday. I am calling a local toy store later to have them hold a few gifts for me. They are great like that and will even wrap for me. I don't wan them to wrap because they always put the toy store sticker on the package. I hate that! I might just have to get bigger stickers and let them do it anyway.

Marilyn- I once had my Rheumatologist send me to the dermatologist on another floor because of the rash I had. They took a bunch of tests, prescribed creams and no sun. I avoid the sun and use sunscreen all year long. Then when the tests came back normal they told me to go to a psychiatrist. The Rheumatologist was disgusted. I appreciate he felt that way but it didn't help me. I hope they can help you in some productive fashion today.

auntiemern
December 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I avoid the sun like the plague. I tell everyone I am a vampire and can't be in the sun. I think they were on the right track, just not high enough dosage or long enough. Got new scrip that is double what they gave me before. I just want to get thru Christmas, without feeling like this, and ready to bite the head off a rattle snake. I really DO have to get the the teacher totes done today and tomorrow.
Good morning to those that are having them and God bless to those that are not.

My little guy (8) started coughing at dinner last night. He is still coughing. He has croup and serious post nasal drip and needs that liquid steroid to calm his throat. The last time he needed it was a year ago and I am waiting (hour 3 now) for the nurse to call me back so I can either get him in there or have Zoe his doctor call the script in so he can get some rest. My eyes already hurt from lack of sleep and hubby called from work and he sounds as if he is asleep.

I got a lot done yesterday and will post pictures later if I am awake.

Jean, panic has set in but I just can't go Christmas shopping yet. I too tired and the kid is sick. I will go Wednesday. I am calling a local toy store later to have them hold a few gifts for me. They are great like that and will even wrap for me. I don't wan them to wrap because they always put the toy store sticker on the package. I hate that! I might just have to get bigger stickers and let them do it anyway.

Marilyn- I once had my Rheumatologist send me to the dermatologist on another floor because of the rash I had. They took a bunch of tests, prescribed creams and no sun. I avoid the sun and use sunscreen all year long. Then when the tests came back normal they told me to go to a psychiatrist. The Rheumatologist was disgusted. I appreciate he felt that way but it didn't help me. I hope they can help you in some productive fashion today.

shannonsaulter
December 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM
GM all!!! Still have my cough but its not as bad..We have had rain the last few days on and off so the weather is chilly...I love being able to pull out my sweaters...Its Monday out there but for me its Wednesday and I am looking forward to Thur-Sun off this week..
Have a great day !!!

CrazyMtnLady
December 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Donna, Eggnog cookies sound interesting, could you post the recipe? May

May: The recipe can be found in the Yummy Recipe part of the forum. I will go find it and comment in it to bring it to the top for you. They are yummy.

Madeforyouinma11
December 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Good afternoon everyone!
I have to be quick here and get back into my sewing room. I did all my errands yesterday and completed one table runner top and half of the next one. I want to finish that one and put borders on both of my quilts today. I also have to get two fleece blankets ready for sewing. They are for hubby and tonight is his last night to work until after the holidays.
Hoping to post pics soon of all of them.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day! Good thoughts and prayers to everyone! Be safe out there!

Musical_Starling
December 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Good morning! I'm pretty much ready for Christmas except for extra groceries. I'm using a table top tree this year so it was much quicker and easier. I have one more ruffled scarf to finish this evening.

Dee, for your minky scarf, check out this video by Heirloom Creations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFdZIayxsU) for a different way to sew the ends together.

Wishing everyone a great Monday. I hope your week is getting off to a good start!

Thanks Myrna! That's a great way to finish it off without having to lose your twists! I did see another video, but you had to keep the seams straight for that one. Thanks :)

Blondie
December 17th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hey folksies

Wanted to peek back in while I had the chance. Dear baby girl daughter showed up this morning with fabric to make 5 stockings for her mantle. Well, there goes my day. LOL. I have one totally sewn together but the rest are in various stages of being quilted and put together. Oy! Of course, I've had QVC on, hoping to find another good deal on Philosophy. Sis and I are both Philosophy girls, so, we went in halvesies to get some for Mom. Mom has porcelain skin - which neither Cat nor I were born with. We inherited the coarse looking skin from Daddy's side of the family. But over the past several years, we invested in the program and we no longer look like farm hands. Works out great $$ wise since we also can share our supplies. Okies, enough of that commercial break - off to work on another stocking.

CountryHut
December 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
- Waving at Jean ~~~~~~~ Thanks for noticing me *thumbs under suspenders *~~SNAP*~ . . dang that hurts*~ . .

anyway -- a day of c'pooter issues -- one in the repair shop and the other gave me the what for and didn't want
to cooperate *grrrrr*~ . . and NOT a blasted flash light in the house that was full of energy
or to work good enough when I was crawling under the c'pooter desk
-- by the time I had 3 printers to install into this c'pooter there wasn't much time left -- my body and mind went
into overdrive to get orders finished and packed and do a postal drop before the P.O. closed for the day . .
*pheeeeew*~ . .
so now for the evening round . . LOL*~ . .
doggie food is getting soggy --- coffee is brewing -- and hubby is about to get a HUGE -- I missed you today Smooch :)
then I will be heading next door to show little Ms Social Butterfly how to make a no sew blanket for her Boyfriend for Cmas

dang, I just realized . . . with these c'pooter issues -- I missed Breakfast and Lunch . . no wonder I'm hungry . . .

well, off we go . .

Diane :)

quiltingtrish
December 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Hello all~
Trying to check in here throughout the busy days. I can't wait for the school's Christmas vacation which begins on Friday at noon. Spent 2 days shopping and of course popped in to see my Dad for my regular Sunday long visit. Thankfully, the weatherman said it will get foggy early last night so I used it to leave his house at 10 to get home by 11. Seems the days with him - well, he's getting crankier and crankier as the time passes by. He is not thrilled with my kids (I have one who is 24 and still lives at home and a daughter who has moved in and out twice in the past 2 years) - whenever I mention them he just stops talking and is being onery, so whatever. At least they have jobs, aren't out drinking and driving and not out shooting anyone.

I still have 2 more gift cards to get, fudge to make, gifts to wrap, and loads of snap bags to finish. Oh and 4 pillowcases to make. I'll get it done. Oh, and a tree to decorate. The girls thought it would be fun to have a tree decorating contest - so yes, there are 2 trees in my living room right now. The sofa had to go in the basement!

I am looking forward to 2013. I will make a new list of UFO's to finish, a new list of rules for me (not as much time on the computer will get lots of those projects completed), and a new set of rules regarding the finances around this household.

I make a new UFO list every year and it helps to keep me on track. I think last year I completed 8 out of the projects I listed. I'll probably join the group that's starting up for next year here. I also hope to post more on my blog.

Loving the new tuts on applique. Can't wait to apply those tips when I work on my old block of the month quilt.
Better get moving here. Have spaghetti cooking and then I'm heading over to the sewing machine.

Cyndi - had to laugh at your comment blaming it on the fabric store being on your way to somewhere.
Hugs,