PDA

View Full Version : How many charm packs?

sally
October 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I want to make a queen size disappearing nine patch quilt using 5 inch squares. How many charm packs (42 squares) would I need? :icon_beuj:

pdjewelrylady
October 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM
hi sally - re: how many charm packs to use for a d9 queen size top. i asked the same thing last summer, the thread is here somewhere lol. i found that it took alot of 5" squares - will count them later for you to be sure of the number, the quilt i made is in my photo albums............

did you find a d9 pattern that you want to duplicate using the charm packs? cuz to me i don't know it will work as well as keeping with just 3 different fabrics for the blocks. i think if you use the charm pack which has 40 something all different fabric squares it would loose the repeat pattern to complete the top? (know what i mean) i am sure there many many variations to this block pattern so it may work great.... just my thoughts on this glorious saturday morning :icon_cool:

pdjewelrylady
October 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Here is a pic for counting the main fabric squares which are the white focus squares :) ..... lol i got dizzy trying to count this way.... will pull out the top and count for ya later this afternoon :) k?

There are a couple of other ladies on here that have beautiful d9s in thier albums too! One i really love is black & white with red :)

janluna
October 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I know it takes 5 charm packs to make a twin size if that helps any. Probably 10 charm packs unless you are making another style quilt. Then I'm lost. Sorry, Jan

3Ls
October 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Now all charm packs aren't all the same number of pieces? I have charm packs that have 27 pieces. I got 15 charm packs for 2 twin's. Am i way off or should i be doing larger quilts?:icon_hi:

Margok
October 31st, 2010, 08:32 AM
Looking at your quilt I estimate 6 patterns W by 8 patterns L. ( love that disappearing 9 patch)
6 x 8=48 patterns,
48 x 9 charm squares =432 charms.
432 divided by 42 charms in a pack =10.29 charm packs.

pdjewelrylady
October 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
hi :) the top in this picture is 7 x 8 blocks. If you are using the charm packs with 42 fabrics i would really think for a Queen top and to be sure get 12 packs!!

Texsam
October 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Suzi your quilt is beautiful!

sally
October 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone. More than i thought...glad I asked!