PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning

Blondie
December 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Happy Saturday, Folksies!

It seems like it should be an oxymoron to say Happy anything the day after such a unimaginable horror as the CT tragedy of yesterday . . . I was unaware of it until I got home late last night. All I have played are CD's recently, since I get tired of the radio music and poor reception, so I do not hear any news. Praying for God's grace and comfort for those who are inconsolable. I just can't get my head around this. Just hoping that the media will not pursue this 24-7 like they do everything else. And I pray we never get so calloused listening to the news that we are unaffected.

Alrighty, let's jump feet first into the weekend. I have a short list of clients this morning, then sis and I will be having a day of beauty for ourselves. She will be coming with me to work and we are going to give each other facials, manicures, pedicures and hair color. I am in desperate need of whacking on my hair again; that may be in the plan today. I can get Cat to color my hair (with shaking hands) but I have yet to be able to talk her through cutting a straight line in the back. I tell her, "LOOK AT MY HAIR! I CUT IT MYSELF! DO YOU SEE ANY PERFECTION THERE?" She still shakes her head No, won't do it. I may have to call one of my old co workers to help me with the back. I can do it, just have a difficult time with my shoulders lifting high and long enough.
I will be bell ringing for the Salvation Army tonite and tomorrow. (one of the reasons I am needing to get beautified) . I may not make it in here tomorrow; if I don't be good and play nice. And SMILE LOTS & LOTS. You may never know who needs one.

Dear son in NY sent this pic of us on Thanksgiving Morning to me yesterday.

Granny Judy
December 15th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Love that pic...esp since you are lovin all over the baby... Get all gussied up so you are ready for the week end. One never knows who is looking at us.. (making the "nice" list longer for Santa)

I hate the sensationalizm the media has to spin around such terrible events... May we never get used to these types of horrors. I know I can't wrap my head around it all, while my heart is being torn into tiny pieces... I find it too hard to watch the news today.. Just saying prayers and wondering why this happens to the innocent.

Got the heater set up in the sewing area, Christmas songs playin' and working on a ufo.. probly won't make it for Christmas, but gonna try to get the TOP put together.. Just saying I gotta have something under the tree for the Harley Man of the House.. SnIL

Sandy Navas
December 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Oh, the sorrows of the world that we'll never understand.

I would much rather be curled up in my warm bed with the blinds pulled, lights out, noise abatement in place. I cannot believe how tired I have made myself this week. Enough complaints - as if I am the only one to ever feel this way. Luckily I am not the one driving to the sale site today. So glad when this stint is over - I do miss my sewing room.

Speaking of sewing, I will be bringing home a treadle cabinet (no machine) that is in excellent condition. One of my older machines will find it a new and wonderful upgrade.

Until I can catch my breath!! Prayers, hugs, asking for understanding . . .

CrazyMtnLady
December 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Morning to All. I had a fitful night of sleep thinking of all those families that have lost their little ones and the adults too. It is always a tragedy to lose someone, but so close to the holiday is so sad. Yesterday when the news report was going all day long....someone was interviewing a little girl that had been in the school. My DH got so mad that they would interview a child that had been through such a tragedy that he turned off the TV. That child should have been with her family and with a counselor NOT in front of NBC cameras. The media has become so insensitive.

Blondie: Enjoy you day of beauty. I sure could use one of those. I remember when I was around 13 or so I would cut and perm my mom's hair for her. I don't know how I learned to cut her hair (my dad was a barber in the army...so maybe from him) My mom had the most beautiful snow white hair and she was in her 40s. She would get tons of complements about her hair and other ladies wanted me to do their hair, but, I refused. I was scared enough doing mom's!

DH has to go back to West Plains today but I am staying home. I have Eggnog Cookie dough to roll out and bake. I did Gingerbread cookies yesterday. I just need to frost them. I am giving him a list of things I need so he can so shopping. I think I will add New Computer Chair to the list...this one is driving me mad it is so old and squeaking. I am going to try to get my front room into some kind of order while he is gone. He has is gun show boxes ALL OVER the couch and love seat. TarButt loves to come out and lay on the couch beside the computer desk in the morning but that is impossible.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Keep those CT families in your prayers.

Hugs and prayers to all.

pcbatiks
December 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Donna...I agree 100 % with you on the media interviewing those children on tv or talking to them at all. I saw that too and was so angry that I also turned off the tv. If I could have remembered what channel........would have probably sent a email to them. Those children have enough to deal with without doing an unnecessary interview. And like Sandy........I can't keep watching the news coverage.........our time would be better spent praying for all those affected in so many ways. May they all feel the presence of God close to them and all of the prayers being said.

Blondie............love that picture of you and your family.......it made me smile!! Hope you have a fun day today with your sister.

Sandy........I hope you have a fun day at the estate sale.......let us know how things go. It should be an interesting day for you.

Hope each of you have a good day today with happy little surprises along the way!

GrammaBabs
December 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Morning all,,, today is the second weeend in a row i am hostng,,,, but i love these people so much it's so worth it..
My two kids will be in the mix this time...funny they love this one time of the year that they are included with the "old folks" LOL
Everyone is bringing somethng this year, so i'm going to chill!!
As for the Conn. tradgedy.... i'm holding my loved ones close and thanking God for everything i've been given,,,we jus never know when it might be taken from us....
As for the TV,,,,,don't get me going on that!!!! How is it helpful to anyone, other than to line the pockets.. to be repeating over and over such horror!!!
Tomorrow begins the real push for wrapping up and sorting thru all my hanmade goodies to be delivered!!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Have a good day, don't let the bad news get you down. Pray for all of those directly affected, and for all of us-- where are we going that breeds gun violence every day? Is this the Wild West allover again?

lilmouse
December 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Keeping everyone in prayer that was affected by this tragedy....Blondie, love the picture..very cute! Sandy, hope you survive being a working girl again...we miss you!
Keeping all of my forum family in prayer...hugs those you can and love them all
!

MayinJerset
December 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Getting a late start today, am sitting here with my coffee mentally planning the day's activities. Fell asleep last night watching TV coverage in Conn. I think I willed myself asleep not to hear them repeating the same things over and over because the repeating what happened still doesn't make any sense to me. I keep getting a mental image of a fireman carrying a little child out of the Oklahoma bombing and DH watching with tears in his eyes saying that could be our Elizabeth, our granddaugther who was about 3 at the time. Only this time in Conn it's repeated 20 times or more.

Yesterday I was complaining about the high costs of mailing Christmas gifts to family in CA but today it's worth it, Just read email from DGD Mary about how she put our gifts under her tree and is excited like a little child waiting to open them at Christmas. Newest DGS Adam (married to DGD Christine in June) Facebooked me to say the biscotti I sent with our gifts made his day. Told them the could open the biscotti package right away so they didn't get stale but rest of gifts had to be put under their tree. .

Went out looking for a new gas dryer last night, they all have so many features that I don't need nor am willing to pay for so a bit more research is needed. I'll wash a load or two at home and dry them at the laundromat until I make up my mind.

Blondie, Wonderful photo of you and family with your granddaughter. Just yesterday I was thinking it was long overdue, tell your son he kept us all waiting too long and we want more photos ASAP. May

MRoy
December 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Good morning (Central time)! Blondie, your family pic is wonderful! Good to see you stealing sugar from that precious baby! After yesterday, I wish I could hug my grandkids today.

Blondie, I can send my DH down to cut your neckline straight. He trims mine with clippers and does a great job...of course, I sit "vewy, vewy" still until he's finished.

Sandy, I'd love to see your treadle cabinet. I have my mom's old treadle and the cabinet needs refinishing.

I'm not watching the news coverage of the tragedy today either. It's just too much. Prayers for those families, prayers for everyone here, and prayers for peace and understanding.

auntiemern
December 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Blondie, what a wonderful pic. Thank you so much for sharing. Not even going to comment of the senseless tragedy, but will continue to lift them all up in prayer. Will try to get something, anything accomplished today. Yesterday was hard on me for several reasons. Will put in a separate post. Have fun today all, stay warm ans stay safe. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for the world we live in today, as well as specific ones.

toggpine
December 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I heard the news yesterday and it was all I could do not to go to the school and get my own child. I knew she was safe, but still. Her daddy and I met the school bus and had an extra hug for her.

I'm fighting some cold/upper respiratory gunk. Ick! I had such ambitious plans for the weekend - and now I just want to snuggle on the couch in my sweats with a cup of tea and nap. I'll have to figure out how to do both I guess since Christmas isn't going to wait for me to feel better.

I hope you all have a good weekend and get lots of stuff done. Hug your family, or at least give them a call.
Hugs, Cathy

Lenie
December 15th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Blondie, what a lovely picture of you and your family. It has writen "love" all over it.
The drama that happened in Newton was in the News here too. Terrible!
Have a great day with your sister!

Madeforyouinma11
December 15th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone! This is such a sad day... I woke up this morning thinking of those parents not having their little ones today. I cannot even imagine their pain. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved in this unimaginable tragedy.

Today, I have to make a quick run to the grocery store and I want to finish up wrapping the few things left to wrap. Still waiting for a couple of things in the mail and then get a few stocking stuffers and I will be done. Then a little cleaning is on the list. I have three rows left to put onto my snowball quilt top and I'm hoping to get that completed today. I wanted to make some runners, but we'll see how things go.
Blondie, your family is beautiful! Sandy, hang in there. How is DD doing? Still sending prayers that she and baby are both doing well.
Well, I am off to continue with my day..I will check in later to catch up...I am so far behind in my reading here.
Hope everyone has a great weekend! Be safe out there.
Good thoughts and prayers to everyone, especially for those in Connecticut.

aliaslaceygreen
December 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Good late afternoon.... Just a few minutes before Layla awakens from the nap she didn't want. Nothing to say about Newtown. No words work.

Blondie, your Thanksgiving photo is fabulous! How tall is Luscious? I ask because Timmy NEVER stands up straight in photos with us because we are 13 inches apart...

My package from SSS was opened this morning, to the joy of Layla, Tatiana and Gandolf....34022

cyndiofthevortex
December 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Yesterday morning I was upset about something that seemed so huge to me. In truth it was just a petty inconvenience. I repent of it now and hope to easily forgive and show love all the time, not just when I feel like it.

Today and yesterday I have worked on an old embroidery project that was so close to being done it only needed a few hours of work. It's been a way to spend my time as I can work and pray while still being productive, and I sure needed to be productive. It doesn't help to wallow in grief, does it? No more news for me unless it's in print. I can't take the images anymore.

We are getting a storm tomorrow, so it seems we might be getting a white Christmas after all. It's the least we can expect living here in New England. If I can't have warmth I might as well have pretty!

toggpine
December 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
The family photos today are a perfect balm.

I have the sugar pumpkins in steaming before being turned in to puree. The apples will have to wait for another day. The grandson was trying to make them bounce yesterday. He must have thought they were basket balls. I was afraid with all of the smashing on the floor they might bruise and go bad if I left them any longer.

Then to get back to the sewing.

HdWench
December 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Morning, well it's morning to me at 1:30 having my first cup. Blondie, keep loving on the little one - very cute picture!

I quit watching TV during the election and have not turned it on since, but do keep up via FoxNews. My heart is breaking thinking of all the presents joyously bought and wrapped, perhaps under a tree waiting for the children that aren't coming home. God lift up those little ones and wrap them in love, while the living must endure.

Moved up my Quilt For Kids project they are so in my prayers and thoughts. Monday I will send it Priority, will post a photo in Show and Tell.

Have no idea what is next, sections for the Mystery Quilt with Bonnie Hunter, then... get the house ready for my grandson's visit Dec 21.

((((Hugs))) to all

MayinJerset
December 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
"I have the sugar pumpkins in steaming before being turned in to puree."

Cathy, How do you do this? Just this morning I received an email from DGDaughter in CA who asked me about doing this. She has been buying them at the organic farm market and asked me if I knew how to cook them to use in pies or veggie dishes. I don't but would love to pass your directions along to her. May

toggpine
December 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
May,

I tried it both ways (I had 4 pumpkins) that my Squeezo Strainer manual suggested. I halved the pumpkins and scooped out the seeds. The strings weren't scoopable. I then quartered the pumpkins and cut them down into wedges. Using a paring knife I cut away the strings. You can tell where the strings stop and the pulp fibers start.
In my 4 gallon stainless pot I put two of the pumpkins in and added about two cups of water. covered it and set the burner to medium. I turned the pumpkin chunks a couple times with a long wooden spoon so the ones on the bottom didn't just boil.
In my roasting pan I put the other two pumpkins. I added enough water to cover the bottom, again a bit more than two cups. I covered the pan with foil to keep the steam in and put it in a 350 oven. About 45 minutes to an hour seemed to do the trick. Again, mine were cut into chunks.
Once the pumpkin is softened, let the pieces cool and then remove the pulp. I found that the ones in the stock pot with tighter fitting lid retained more moisture. The ones in the roasting pan were still soft, but drier. The foil will keep the pumpkin from carmelizing (browning/burning) while it roasts.
It is NOT recommended that you can the puree. It is suggested that you freeze it. Portion it out in amounts that will allow you to use it in your recipes. I use my food saver vacuum thingie.
Here is a link for something similar, but by only halving the pumpkin.
http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/homemade-pumpkin-puree-can-the-can

I'll let you know how it turns out in tomorrows breakfast muffins.

toggpine
December 15th, 2012, 10:33 PM
If she's going to use them as a veggie, probably steam/cook them a bit less. These were pretty squishy.

toggpine
December 16th, 2012, 12:00 AM
One other thing. I ran mine through a mill type strainer. It skooged out the pulp and some juice and kicked out the pulpier parts of the pumpkin. I couldn't see wasting it, as it was all the pumpkin meat. I am now running the juice and the pulpier/stringier parts through the food processor.
I am thinking that if she follows the link directions to cook & scoop, she might end up needing to do the same. Personally I don't care for stringy pies!

Cathy

Ginny B
December 16th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Boy am I tired. DH and I have been going, going all day and just got home a little while ago. It was a hard morning though. I woke up and within a minute I remembered what happened yesterday in CT. Wasn't sure I would be able to get into finishing up our Christmas shopping and then getting our tree. But I pushed myself to get moving and thought about our little Max coming over tomorrow morning and really wanted to have the tree here for him so we did it. It was hard to do things "as usual" knowing that for so many families "as usual" will never be the same . Then this afternoon I received some great news. My youngest 2 sons will be making the trip here to visit in January (getting off in December is just too hard for them). This will be the first time that I will be with all 4 of my boys since #3 son graduated a couple years ago. We will have our "Thanksmas" celebration and I will thank God for my precious children.

Ok I am off to bed. I'd better sleep fast -- morning is quickly approaching. And Max will be here for bagels. Sleep well everyone.

Ginny B

dwil23
December 16th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I haven't been watching the news at all. Working twelve hours a day will do that to you anyway, but I just can't stomach it either. When I first heard where it was I was pretty sure that it was the town that my cousins son lives in. He is a Pastor there and I found out today that, yes, he and his family live only three blocks from the school. He has three little girls, one of them six. Thank the Lord his kids are home-schooled and were not involved.

Why does it take real tragedy like this to put our little problems in perspective? Like the tension on my sewing machine has decided not to work when I have several presents to finish up?