PDA

View Full Version : UFO Challenge 2013

Peachy
December 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Do you have a ton of UFOs (un-finished objects) that need to be finished? This would be a group completely focused on motivating us to finish up those UFOs in 2013. Anyone interested? If so, start thinking about it. There are 12 months in a year, and if we finish up one UFO a month, that's 12 projects done in 2013!

We'll begin by pulling out 12 UFOs and making a list of them. Number your list 1-12. Each month we'll randomly select a number. You will try to finish up the project that corresponds to the number drawn for the month. Then, when your project is finished, we'll post progress and congratulate each other!

I participated in the 2012 UFO challenge that is hosted a Patchwork Times last year and managed to complete 8 out of 12 projects...not bad. I'm happy with that! I didn't have 12 quilty projects, so I added in a couple of scrapbook items as well. It's your challenge, make it what you want!

Would anyone like to play along? I would love to host a group for maximum encouragement!

shannonsaulter
December 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I only have 1 UFO right now but could come up with some more ideas...newbie here yep you guessed it but love the idea!

buckeyequilter
December 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I think I might just give it a try...I have a few but I don't have 12. I'll have to go out to my sewing room this week-end and get my list ready.

Peachy
December 15th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Another thought...if you don't have 12 UFOs, you could ...

~ break up some of the UFOs into parts (complete top, quilting, sleeve/tag/binding)
~ add holiday/birthday gifts that will need to get done
~ or add in something from your someday list!

It will be YOUR working list and it should reflect how YOU would like to get things done! Whatever will be most helpful for your productivity. This is my list from this year (I added in the month as the number was announced in the beginning of the month and added progress at the end of the month):

My 2012 UFO list:

Jean Picnic Quilt for Kayla (February) - done
Heart Quilt (May) - no progress
Thai 'Ostrich Quilt' (July) - no progress
RWB Swap Quilt (December) - done
Jean Picnic Quilt for Larissa (January) - done
Spring Flower Wallhanging (October) - done
Fan Quilt (August) - no progress
China Scrapbook (March) - done
School & Family Scrapbooks (November) - no progress
Recipe Card Scrapbooks (April) - done
Military Scrapbook (September) - up to date
Quilt Scrapbook (June) - up to date

Lisapc
December 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I always have unfinished projects and it is getting worse with this forum. So many great ideas that I have to make for myself. I am in and with a deadline, afraid!

pdjewelrylady
December 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
what a great idea! hope you don't mind but i am getting a little headstart on the projects LOL ;)

made this table topper for my sister - will be backing with insulbrite and a fun festive print and sending off to her t o d a y !! (some of you may recognize the blocks! they are from last years christmas block swap!! my mom still had hers too so we swapped again and i came up with these! :D yipppppeeeee)

pdjewelrylady
December 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM
BUT FIRST TO FIX THE OOPS!!!! ahahahaha :icon_heh: didnt even see it until i posted this picture! can you find it??

GinnyKNC
December 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I would! I try to keep track anyway so why not have some encouragement along the way :)

Lisapc
December 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Do not encourage me to be critical. There is no oops it is a beautiful topper!

mamapajama
December 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I just see a beautiful piece.

When I first started to quilt. And was very frustrated about corners not matching up. Someone told me that the Amish have a philosophy that nobody is perfect. So when they do their quilts, some will make a "oops" on purpose, just to prove that they are not perfect. So whatever you think your oops is. It's OK, because we are human, and we are not perfect.

mamapajama
December 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I just see a beautiful piece.

When I first started to quilt. And was very frustrated about corners not matching up. Someone told me that the Amish have a philosophy that nobody is perfect. So when they do their quilts, some will make a "oops" on purpose, just to prove that they are not perfect. So whatever you think your oops is. It's OK, because we are human, and, as much as we want to be, we are not perfect.

mamapajama
December 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Ugh, case in point, just posted my post twice. Sorry:icon_rolleyes:

joyrocks
December 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm in. I'll work on my list tonight.

Peachy
December 17th, 2012, 05:38 PM
what a great idea! hope you don't mind but i am getting a little headstart on the projects LOL ;)

Suzi, of course I want you to finish up your Christmas gifts...why would you save them to add to next year's UFO list?!?!? That would be what I do!!! lolol...I never make Christmas gifts (no one would ever receive them) and that's why they've invented Christmas in July! It's so we can work with holiday fabrics in the summer and have gifts actually ready to give by December!

buckeyequilter
December 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think I might just give it a try...I have a few but I don't have 12. I'll have to go out to my sewing room this week-end and get my list ready.

My list has now become a UFO because I didn't even get that done this past week-end. Actually I forgot I was supposed to be doing that.

MsRabbott
December 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Definately sign me up! Some of my items may be SU/DI projects (Shut Up and Do It) that I planned and have all the parts for and could probably get done over the course of a weeked, I just keep putting them off! I'll dig through my projects and put a list together! :)

Patrice
December 17th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My list has now become a UFO because I didn't even get that done this past week-end. Actually I forgot I was supposed to be doing that.

Lolol..that would be me..I should really do this. I did this last summer over my break and got seven UFO's done. I have plenty more I could make a list with.

Sew Perfect
December 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I zoomed in and don't see an oops...it is beautiful!

Oh, and count me in because I have a few things to finish.

Sew Perfect
December 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM

List? We can't just fly by the seat of our pants? Guess I better get busy on that.

auntiemern
December 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry hun. As interesting as it sounds, I have no UFO's. I have a tendancy to finish one thing before starting on another.

joyrocks
December 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Here's my list:

Summer in the Park - sandwich, quilt, bind
Arboretum Sliced Layer Cake - sandwich, quilt, bind
ROYGBIV Tumbler - finish FMQ, bind
Montecito Sliced Layer Cake - sew blocks together, border, sandwich, quilt, bind
Calico Candies Baby Quilt - start to finish
Baby Talk Baby Quilt - start to finish
Bearenstein Bears Baby Quilt - start to finish
Good Fortune block quilt - sandwich, quilt, bind
Aunt Lovis' Star Quilt - sew blocks together, sash, border, sandwich, quilt, bind
Embroidery projects - bathroom towels, linen towels, napkins, canvas bags
Amelia quilt for my little sister - start to finish
Love Letters quilt for my step-mom - start to finish

pdjewelrylady
December 17th, 2012, 11:26 PM
oh my - a REAL list - now i am nervous!! hahahahahahah i'll get right on that! :D

Lisapc
December 18th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Peachy, create the group and I will join. See I just put off having to do a list until you create the group!

Peachy
December 18th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Sorry hun. As interesting as it sounds, I have no UFO's. I have a tendancy to finish one thing before starting on another.

Marilyn, you're good. I used to be like that and then I joined a couple of guilds and a Sew Day. We start so many group projects that it takes me a while to catch up! An option for you might be creating a "things to do this year list" if you're interested in joining us and are willing to play along without knowing which project will be your project of the month. You can specify in your list that yours are NOT UFOs and we'll all be jealous! LOL!

Peachy
December 18th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Peachy, create the group and I will join. See I just put off having to do a list until you create the group!

OK Lisa...I'm working on a short write up and will create the group this week. Be on the lookout ladies and start thinking up a list!

MrsT2u
December 18th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I would like to participate. I don't have 12 UFOs but I have five--2 huge king sized quilt tops, 1 inherited quilt top from the 1950s that needs border, quilting and binding, 1 table runner and 1 table topper. That's a good start. I also want to create some quilts to send out for machine quilting.

Sew Perfect
December 18th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Here is my list: Note, I like to take my time on my quilts.

Big Star in Batiks - recently started
Lake Cabins quilt - begin cutting out in January 2013, Daniels' graduation in May
Pineapple quilt - Borders, get quilted, bind (Finish in February)
My great nieces' baby quilt(quilt and bind it) (Finish in January)
Quilt my nephews' baby quilt (Finish in January)
Finish piecing Lotus Garden
Finish piecing Gone With The Wind
Chip Off The Old Block - Cardinal Glennon PICU Quilts (in honor of Gabe)

cyndiofthevortex
December 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Definately sign me up! Some of my items may be SU/DI projects (Shut Up and Do It) that I planned and have all the parts for and could probably get done over the course of a weeked, I just keep putting them off! I'll dig through my projects and put a list together! :) I am definitely in! I can easily come up with 12 projects. And I loved SU&DI by MsRabbott! It is my new motto and I've been using it all day. It really works! I'm having DH make me a little sign to go along with the one in my sewing room that says "Do The Next Thing." Can you tell I have a tendency to procrastinate? This group will be perfect for me! Let's see, Fish Applique, Sunflower Summer in the Park, Wonky Stars Quilt.....

Denis
December 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I would need a couple years to get through my UFOs. I have about 30 UFOs that only need to be machine quilted, and about 20 UFOs that need to be pieced. Hmmmm! Make that 5 years!!! LOL

Peachy
December 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I would need a couple years to get through my UFOs. I have about 30 UFOs that only need to be machine quilted, and about 20 UFOs that need to be pieced. Hmmmm! Make that 5 years!!! LOL

Denis ~ Pick the top 12 to get done this year and come and join us! You can always work on more, but it's good to have a challenge to nudge us in the right direction and to keep us motivated!

:icon_bump:

pdjewelrylady
December 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH :icon_hihi::icon_rofl: Denis!!! thanks for the laugh!! right there with ya!

Peachy
December 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM

OK, folks...2013 UFO Challenge Group (http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63) is up! Come join in the fun!

Peachy
December 28th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The first UFO number will be drawn on the 31st..that's MONDAY! So, if you haven't posted your UFO list...go to the group, read the intro thread, and post your 12 UFOs to complete in 2013!

DCM
December 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Peachy -- your topper is beautiful! Since you asked us to find the oops the proofreader in me came out -- if you hadn't asked us to find an oops I probably wouldn't have noticed but I think the top left block is upside down. Great idea about the UFO group -- I tend to complete one thing before I start another but I have lots of projects lined up to begin -- I buy the pattern and all the fabric for the project and keep each one in a separate bag. I think I have enough to last a lifetime!

quiltingtrish
December 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
SU & DI - cute! I am a procrastinator as well.
I like what SuzyQ posted awhile back in some sort of post. She says "You have to start where you are ..." That says it all for me!

Hugs,

briardog
December 29th, 2012, 07:29 AM
sound like a good idea to me....not sure i have 12 ufo's??? But can certainly add in items i want to make for birthdays/christmas etc and try to get them done in advance rather than start 2 days before the date!!! Will have a think and rummage to see what i have.....

CrazyMtnLady
December 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I need to get busy... I only have 3 UFOs. You all are way ahead of me! LOL.

Dawn, it took me a while but that is the same block I thought was upside down. If I was Suzi I would leave it and just let the recipient know that one square is full of love and is upside down to hold it all in.

nanaleslie
December 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a challenge I might need to take part in. So i'm in! It will be nice to finally see finished projects. pdjewelrylady your topper looks good, your sister will enjoy.

Peachy
December 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
sound like a good idea to me....not sure i have 12 ufo's??? But can certainly add in items i want to make for birthdays/christmas etc and try to get them done in advance rather than start 2 days before the date!!! Will have a think and rummage to see what i have.....

I need to get busy... I only have 3 UFOs. You all are way ahead of me! LOL.

Briardog & Donna ~ Definately, come join us in the group...AND feel free to add "NewFOs" to your lists as well!

grammakim04
December 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think I would like to be part of this also. My husband has been sick for the past six months and I am so behind on my quilting and have alot of UFO's. Just lately I've started back into my quilting. Will make a list of my top UFO's to get done. Good motivation for me to get back into it. Thank you for doing this.

Sew Perfect
December 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I think I would like to be part of this also. My husband has been sick for the past six months and I am so behind on my quilting and have alot of UFO's. Just lately I've started back into my quilting. Will make a list of my top UFO's to get done. Good motivation for me to get back into it. Thank you for doing this.

So sorry your husband has been ill. I hope he is doing better and am glad you are able to begin with your projects once again. Go to Groups and sign up for this group. I think it will be good and fun. Blessings.

TraceyD
December 30th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I would love to do this! I probably can't get my list together until Jan 6/7 due to company visiting but I'm sure I can come up with 12 UFO's. Thanks Heather.

Peachy
December 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Tracey ~ Join us whenever you're ready. You'll have all month to complete you first project and the number will be already out beginning tomorrow, so you can "strategically place" your first project on your UFO list!

I would love to do this! I probably can't get my list together until Jan 6/7 due to company visiting but I'm sure I can come up with 12 UFO's. Thanks Heather.

Peachy
December 30th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Kim ~ Looking forward to seeing you get back into the groove of quilting! Please join us...the first number gets drawn tomorrow!

Poppytree
December 31st, 2012, 04:40 AM
Might have to shuffle my list then - is that allowed? I have 2 projects very nearly finished so I'd like to tackle them first.

I've finished 15 UFOs since September but they were mainly lap quilts or smaller.

quiltingtrish
December 31st, 2012, 11:44 AM
(sssh - Jane - don't tell anyone especially Peachy - I've shuffled projects before too.) I've even taken off a project or two cause once I've opened a kit I've had for awhile, I decided I didn't like it anymore. Redesignated what to use the fabrics for. It's your list. I use mine to try to keep me on track. Of course there are always those UFO's we will find in the coming year that we end up buying that we don't know about ahead of time, the ones where we see new fabric or new kits that are screaming at us to 'buy me! buy me!' so they sneak their little threads into our lives that we will have to squeeze into making. :)
Hugs!!

Peachy
December 31st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Heheh....I don't care if you shuffle your list...that's what the "edit" button is for! LOL! Just shuffle it before you declare your project for the month so we don't all get seriously confused!!! LOL.

By the way...January's number is up and posted in the group!

shannonsaulter
December 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM
YAY I have to go look at my fabric and try to decide..Will probably be starting next week on my days off...

cyndiofthevortex
January 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I'm running out of time to get my January quilt finished! DH and I just basted it this afternoon so that I can start quilting it tomorrow. Hope I'll be posting pics of it before February 1st. How are the rest of you doing?

lourixe
February 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Am I on time to join? How does this work? Do I post my list here?

Hulamoon
February 7th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Am I on time to join? How does this work? Do I post my list here?

It's not to late because it's running for the whole year! Just go up to groups, join and think of twelve things you need to finish, I changed some of mine around because I needed a birthday present, I'm almost done, so I'm already late. lol It's just to get you motivated, no stress :)

Peachy
March 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
March's # is up in the group!