PDA

View Full Version : Selling or trading in a car?

Hulamoon
December 12th, 2012, 10:01 PM
This has been sort of a little mini nightmare for me. My auntie passed away. I took care of her the last few months of her life, then renovated her house to rent out because it went to me and I wanted to keep it. Well I got the car too. My daugther wanted it. Not anymore now , too fancy for a dog. It's a 2006 Camery. I want to sell it and my 2000 Toyota Echo. I called the toyota dealership today and they said to bring one in today then one the next day to see what they might be worth for a trade in.

Sorry for the long story, but any advice if I should sell or trade? I sort of don't have a guy in my life right now to steer me the right direction on cars. I did the whole house by myself, you would think I could handle a couple of cars. lol

K. McEuen
December 12th, 2012, 10:54 PM
If the Camry is in good condition I would keep it if it were me. I drive a Tundra. I've rented a Camry and really liked it a lot. They are good cars. If I ever go back to a car instead of a truck, the Camry is the first vehicle I would look at.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
See how close to the Kelley Blue Book value they are, you can look up the values on line. There are usually four numbers that you get, the dealers will give something around the bottom two. You can try for the higher numbers if you conduct the transaction yourself. I've dealt with Toyota dealers a lot in the past ( latest deal less than one month ago). At least you should have an idea what is fair, and think about if you want to deal with a private sale to possibly get more money from the deals. Are you trading them? Or just selling them back to the dealer?

Love my Solara convertible, 2006. It is a Camry. I'm amazed at how that car has kept its value!

joyrocks
December 12th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I sell cars for a living. If you trade or sell to a dealership you will not get as much as you would selling to an individual in a private sale. Most people do not want to deal with that or haggle so they just trade in. Just remember when you trade they are going to low ball you so they can make some off of reselling the car (either at their dealership or an auction). NADA is what most dealers use for car values. You can buy a NADA book at a book store in the automotive section. Most dealers don't use Kelly Blue Book anymore. My best advice is to 1) do some research on your vehicle's values as well as the vehicle you want to purchase, and 2) be willing to walk away if you don't get what you want. Unless it holds bad memories for you, if were you I'd keep the Camry and sell the Echo privately.

HandsOffItsMine
December 13th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Love my Solara convertible, 2006. It is a Camry. I'm amazed at how that car has kept its value!

I had a 2007 Conv Solara fully loaded, sold it before coming to Oahu. Very sad, loved it! Sold it for $3800 over what I owed (no money down) to CarMax.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I had a 2007 Conv Solara fully loaded, sold it before coming to Oahu. Very sad, loved it! Sold it for $3800 over what I owed (no money down) to CarMax.
Was it red? Mine is still a head turner. Absolute red, fabulous vehicle.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 13th, 2012, 01:35 AM
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Research-Center

Here's the NADA guide. Joyrocks was talking about.

HandsOffItsMine
December 13th, 2012, 02:08 AM

No, the pearleance (sp?) white from the Lexus, rare on the Solara, tan leather, tan top. The Duarte CarMax dealer's son (around 40)actually bought it right when I brought it in and picked up my check with his AE card. Not a scratch and very low miles. :)

Hulamoon
December 13th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I sell cars for a living. If you trade or sell to a dealership you will not get as much as you would selling to an individual in a private sale. Most people do not want to deal with that or haggle so they just trade in. Just remember when you trade they are going to low ball you so they can make some off of reselling the car (either at their dealership or an auction). NADA is what most dealers use for car values. You can buy a NADA book at a book store in the automotive section. Most dealers don't use Kelly Blue Book anymore. My best advice is to 1) do some research on your vehicle's values as well as the vehicle you want to purchase, and 2) be willing to walk away if you don't get what you want. Unless it holds bad memories for you, if were you I'd keep the Camry and sell the Echo privately.

Thanks for being so honest.:) The thing is, the Camery came from Los Angeles and I shipped it to Kauai. So in reality it's a town car that came to the country. Everyone owns trucks here. hauling surfboards, dogs, recycle stuff and me would be dirt and plants. It's a really nice car. Deluxe model with leather seats, window roof. really low milage, etc. I drove it for 7 months over there and now switching back and forth between the two for a year now here.

I pulled it into the yard today and cleaned it all up. I guess the best thing would is to sell the Echo and think on it some more. I hate making decisions like this!

auntiemern
December 13th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Yes it is Jean :D. Not your typical garnny mobile, lol.

Blondie
December 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Gosh Lorie, after having gone through the trouble and expense to have it shipped to Hawaii, I would think seriously about keeping the Camry. And I agree with our Joyrocks. She knows of which she is speaking.

Monique
December 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I have no two cents worth to throw in the pot here but good luck on whatever you decide.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM
No, the pearleance (sp?) white from the Lexus, rare on the Solara, tan leather, tan top. The Duarte CarMax dealer's son (around 40)actually bought it right when I brought it in and picked up my check with his AE card. Not a scratch and very low miles. :)

That was the car I sat in and said" This wi be my next car". But I do. Love red, this is my third red sports car.