PDA

View Full Version : My M*QC order is being held hostage by the post office!!!

PhantomReader
December 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I had one of my orders shipped to a PO Box and I can't retrieve it. At the PO, if you have a package that doesn't fit in the box, they put it in a locker like at the gym or train station and put the key in your PO Box, Well, the PO put the key in someone elses box and they don't know who and apparently the postal workers don't have the ability to open the lockers. So I have to wait until someone comes to retrieve the mail, and if they are honest, return my package to the post office counter. This has been going on since Monday, when I looked up the tracking number and it said it was delivered.

I am going to plant myself at the post office tomorrow until they break into all of the lockers and get my package. I needed that fabric to make Christmas presents. I am sooooo mad!

Just needed to vent!

Lori

SuzyQue
December 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM
This seems so unfair!!! What a bummer! I hope you get your package back ASAP!!

Monique
December 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Oh that's not nice. I hope you get your package back AND SOON!!

Slokarma
December 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM
O my......POST MASTER GENERAL?

toggpine
December 12th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I am so happy we still have our little P.O. out here. We get a tag in the box and we go in to pick it up.

Sorry about the delay!

Lisapc
December 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I am so sorry this is happening to you. I would be beside myself!

Nursmate2
December 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM
What the heck kind of system is that....

SuziC
December 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Oh my, that is Awful!!!! I hope you can get your things soon!

HdWench
December 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM
WHAT!!! they can't even open them??? Can't they just reach in the BACK side and get it for you???

geeze got to hope that person is honest (I do believe most are!)... So sorry this happened and you need it to make Christmas things :-( Good luck!

PhantomReader
December 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone! These lockers are like regular lockers...fronts, backs, sides...so frustrating! I wonder if I can file a claim? I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.

bkthomas
December 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
How awful!!!! Sure hope you get your fabric!!!

shannonsaulter
December 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Oh you are nicer than I am...lol...If they put it the wrong box I would be very vocal to that person...

bec
December 12th, 2012, 11:30 PM
How frustrating! Hope you get your package soon.

Jess1377
December 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Oh my gosh I would be absolutely mortified!!! I am so sorry for your trouble, I hope it gets to you soon!

buckeyequilter
December 13th, 2012, 12:00 AM
They don't have an extra key? Wow...I'd be upset too. I hope you get your package so you can get your Christmas gifts made.

PhantomReader
December 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
You would think that they would have extra keys, but then this is the government that I'm dealing with. No more Miss Nice Guy. I'm going to stay at that post office tomorrow until I get my package.

Sandy Navas
December 13th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I will run over and assault a PO worker if you want! UNFAIR. Can we go 'POSTAL' or "PICKET"??????

BellasQuilts
December 13th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Okay, that doesn't work for you, does it? I'd camp out there.

auntiemern
December 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Not only would I file a claim, I would file a complaint. My sis is a rural carrier here in my county. Our carrier used to put the little cards in the box and I would have to go to the PO to get them. Welllll, my sis informed me, that per their contract, they have to attempt delivery to your house if less than 1 mile round trip from your box. Mine is about 100 yds. After finding out this info, the very next time I got a card in my box, I marched my butt to the PO and told them they had to deliver my packages, I was not coming to get them any more. I now have all my packages delivered to my door. But there was the time, after we got a new post master, that the sub left a card. I once again went to PO and the new post master proceeded to tell me he didn't know where I got my info from, but that was not true. Would loved to have been a fly on the wall when Karen, my carrier, who's sister works with my sis, proceeded to tell him I had first hand knowledge of the contract from my sister. I get ALL my packages delivered, lol.
Thanks everyone! These lockers are like regular lockers...fronts, backs, sides...so frustrating! I wonder if I can file a claim? I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.

Slokarma
December 13th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks everyone! These lockers are like regular lockers...fronts, backs, sides...so frustrating! I wonder if I can file a claim? I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.h

I'd start going right up the food chain first thing in the morning! If you can find numbers on the internet, take them with you, but I'd ask the person at the desk for the next one up the ladder and then I'd keep on going. Politely of course, but persistent!
Make the phone call right there in the lobby and keep calling. I can't believe, ESPECIALLY with Homeland Security issues, that SOMEONE doesn't have a key to get in that box in a hurry if they found it necessary AND when they do get in said box, and you, of course, produce the proper identification, then they could give you your package and this issue would be resolved. Geeze...BUREAUCRACY AT IT'S BEST!

bakermom
December 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I've never heard of putting packages in a locker. My mom still gets her mail at a PO. if she gets a pkg or has something too big for the box they put a card in the box. i would be really, really annoyed if that happened to her-she gets alot of her Rx by mail. can you imagine the trouble if that happened to a Rx??

Musical_Starling
December 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I just have to wonder... If they can't open the box, then how in the heck did they get it in there? And what about if someone loses that original key? Then what? There HAS to be another key, nobody would be that dumb.....

Would they?

csarina
December 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Have you got your package yet????

The postal service here in the UK is not brilliant, but if the post person is unable to deliver you get a card through the door and you can either collect from the office or arrange re-delivery to your home.

PhantomReader
December 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Went back to the post office this morning, no luck. They are supposed to call me today..yeah, right. We now know which locker it is in, I told them to break the lock off of it.

If they don't do anything by tomorrow, I'm going to have to re-order my stuff. Unfortunately, one of my items was the daily deal. I know it's not a great deal of money, but losing $40 worth of stuff is bad enough and being unemployed, I can't easily come up with the money to replace it. It will be a week of ramen noodles for me...lol

EnumclawGramma
December 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I ordered from M*QC about six months ago. My order was taking an unusally long time so I emailed and inquired. I got an apology, they said there were trying out UPS and it shouldn't be too much longer. The next day it came, by USPS. The following day it came again....by UPS. I think they shipped me another order because of how long it took. I emailed them and let them know, then sent the 2nd shipment back to them.

I said all that to ask this: Have you thought about letting the quilt shop know? You never know. And then when you DO get your package, just send it back.

Hulamoon
December 13th, 2012, 04:20 PM
What a strange thing. I never heard of lockers. I watch the clerks go right to the shelves. If School lockers are opend by security why can't these guy's open these? I think it's a super bad call and I would keep complaining even after the fact.

Tanya D
December 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
We have "superboxes" here...our mail is delivered to the box and if we have a package that can't fit in our regular mailbox, we get a key for one of the bigger boxes below. If it's too big for either of those boxes then we get a card to go pick it up.

Is the package still in the locker? Like, can you see it? Has the person who received the key picked up their mail lately? Could they call that person and have them come in and retrieve the key for you? I would think they have a list of what box belongs to what person.

I'd be beyond frustrated too. Good luck and I hope they don't make you wait much longer!

Slokarma
December 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Isn't it a federal offense to open someone else's mail?

auntiemern
December 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact it is. I would go waaayyy over that post masters head. Like to the district PM.
Isn't it a federal offense to open someone else's mail?

buckeyequilter
December 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I was wondering the same thing as Tanya....is the package still there? Do they just put these keys in mailboxes - with no backup key available? Yeah I think it's time to go to the next link on the chain of command. Even if you have to reorder...you paid for that merchandise and it belongs to you!

PhantomReader
December 14th, 2012, 12:16 AM
The package is there, I can't see it, but the locker is still locked. I asked them, how can the post office not be able to access it's own lockers? So basically, something can sit in there for years. This makes no sense to me. But then, this is the government at work here. Tomorrow morning I will ask for the supervisors supervisor. This is getting ridiculous. If I have to reorder, I will and then I will file a claim with the post office. I think I have to wait 30 days for that though.

New York Sue
December 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Not only would I file a claim, I would file a complaint. My sis is a rural carrier here in my county. Our carrier used to put the little cards in the box and I would have to go to the PO to get them. Welllll, my sis informed me, that per their contract, they have to attempt delivery to your house if less than 1 mile round trip from your box. Mine is about 100 yds. After finding out this info, the very next time I got a card in my box, I marched my butt to the PO and told them they had to deliver my packages, I was not coming to get them any more. I now have all my packages delivered to my door. But there was the time, after we got a new post master, that the sub left a card. I once again went to PO and the new post master proceeded to tell me he didn't know where I got my info from, but that was not true. Would loved to have been a fly on the wall when Karen, my carrier, who's sister works with my sis, proceeded to tell him I had first hand knowledge of the contract from my sister. I get ALL my packages delivered, lol.

My husband has been a rural carrier for years. A 'contracted' employee of the USPS. He's worked in two different rural towns. Two different contracts, but each had to deliver within a mile from your home. At each PO, if you were outside a mile, or your driveway was impassable, or you weren't home and a signature was required, you're given a note to pick up. PERIOD.
Now this is where it gets tricky... He's delivered to a couple of 'cluster communities', mobile home parks, specifically (despite what you may have envisioned about me, we are rural, as is MOST of N.Y.). Both had larger 'lockers' for packages, and you would be delivered a key, with a wooden stick attached to retrieve your goods. Most often the key was returned to the USPS, but sometimes not. And rarely was there a problem. I don't know if you're rural or a city girl....It's a whole different animal.
But I do KNOW this one THING, and DH can attest. Squeakey wheel get's the grease!

Musical_Starling
December 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
The package is there, I can't see it, but the locker is still locked. I asked them, how can the post office not be able to access it's own lockers? So basically, something can sit in there for years. This makes no sense to me. But then, this is the government at work here. Tomorrow morning I will ask for the supervisors supervisor. This is getting ridiculous. If I have to reorder, I will and then I will file a claim with the post office. I think I have to wait 30 days for that though.

I would be going apesh*t right about now. That package is YOURS, has your name and address on it, and it rightfully belongs to you. If they don't have a spare key, then that's not your problem. I'd be going higher and higher up the totem pole until someone finally hears enough of my whining and complaining and cuts the lock off the darn thing lol

About the delivery to your door bit, I have a question. We have a community mailbox that's about 250-300 m from my front door, and we never get packages delivered. Canada Post's policy is anything within 500m gets delivered. So what's on the go? Any of my fellow Canucks experience this issue? Also, MIL sent two packages at the exact same time from Alberta, one got here yesterday (Wednesday) and the other still isn't here. How in the heck does that happen? lol

Tanya D
December 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Dee, our community mailbox is right across the street from me and I've had Canada Post knock on my door to drop off a package only once. Now, I'm not home during the day so they may have tried other times. She happened to catch me home on my lunch break that day. I was quite surprised...I didn't realize they even tried.

I sent a package to Ontario last Thursday or Friday and I tracked it yesterday and it said it wasn't going to be delivered until Dec. 18th...Seems like a long time. And holy cow, they charged me $13.05 for a littel box! I'm making a quilt for this same friend and I shudder at how much it's going to cost me to send it to her.

PhantomReader
December 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hooray! I finally got my package!! I insisted on talking to someone higher up today and he came out with a master key and it popped off the whole lock mechanism...why in the h*ll could they not have done that in the first place?

janluna
December 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Thank goodness!!!!! I was reading all the posts and thought if you didn't get your fabric, I'd send you some! That is terrible. My DH worked for the USPS. He said, "That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Of course they have a way to get into the boxes! Someone is just being lazy!" At any rate, If you need anything, let me know and I'll send something. I mailed my SSS on Thursday, I hope there is no problems for her! Good Grief. Joe even said, there is no way with homeland security and all, that they can't get into those boxes. When they had the "Anthrax scare", they sure checked everything out. So glad you got your package.
Hugs, Jan L.

PhantomReader
December 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks so much Jan...I am good now. Thank goodness I got my package...it will be a weekend of sewing for me!

The supervisor told me today that they worked on my problem all day yesterday...really?!? Now I know who to go to if heaven forbid, there are anymore problems.

bkthomas
December 14th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks so much Jan...I am good now. Thank goodness I got my package...it will be a weekend of sewing for me!

The supervisor told me today that they worked on my problem all day yesterday...really?!? Now I know who to go to if heaven forbid, there are anymore problems.

That's good news - I just love a Happy Ending!!!

buckeyequilter
December 14th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Hooray! I finally got my package!! I insisted on talking to someone higher up today and he came out with a master key and it popped off the whole lock mechanism...why in the h*ll could they not have done that in the first place?

So glad you got your package. Maybe only the master can hold the master key.

auntiemern
December 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Ours all have the same contract within the county. My sis is not contracted, but actually works for the USPS. We are rural as in just oustide of St. Louis., lol. Sounds like the same rules apply to all rural carriers, lol

My husband has been a rural carrier for years. A 'contracted' employee of the USPS. He's worked in two different rural towns. Two different contracts, but each had to deliver within a mile from your home. At each PO, if you were outside a mile, or your driveway was impassable, or you weren't home and a signature was required, you're given a note to pick up. PERIOD.
Now this is where it gets tricky... He's delivered to a couple of 'cluster communities', mobile home parks, specifically (despite what you may have envisioned about me, we are rural, as is MOST of N.Y.). Both had larger 'lockers' for packages, and you would be delivered a key, with a wooden stick attached to retrieve your goods. Most often the key was returned to the USPS, but sometimes not. And rarely was there a problem. I don't know if you're rural or a city girl....It's a whole different animal.
But I do KNOW this one THING, and DH can attest. Squeakey wheel get's the grease!

Lisapc
December 15th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Congratulations! I actually did a happy dance in my chair I am so excited for you.

Lisaau
December 15th, 2012, 05:34 AM
or maybe go to the police -cops and make a formal complaint......ooh scrap that didnt see that you got your package

PhantomReader
December 15th, 2012, 08:19 AM
lol...I thought about calling 911 and telling them that the post office is holding my package hostage.

SuziC
December 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I am so glad this has a happy ending for you!!!!!!!!!

lilmouse
December 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I am really glad you got your package...just how long did it take for them to figure it all out anyway?

MRoy
December 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm glad you got your package and I think you were most likely given the run around by the post office. Yay for this squeaky wheel!

HdWench
December 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM
((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) Yeah Phantom -- been following along and getting madder at them for you hahaha maybe they felt ALOT of women's wrath being sent. So happy you finally got it!