PDA

View Full Version : To those who still send Christmas Cards......

dwil23
December 11th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hi all!

Just a quick note to let you know what I have been doing. Working. 12 hours a day. Seven days a week. I work at the Post Office and I am on a "special assignment" . I am going through mail that is undeliverable for one reason or another. I sort the ones that have bad addresses, incomplete addresses, or no address at all. The ones with return addresses are stamped "Return to Sender".... "Grandma", "Aunt Mary", "The Smith's" are not return addresses. Neither is my favorite one - "Guess Who?" (Uhhh, gee, I give up, I don't know). The ones that cannot be delivered or returned are sent to the Dead Letter Office for disposal. Same goes for the ones without postage (although we do attempt to collect postage due on obvious Christmas cards, the addressee may refuse it). It breaks my heart to see beautiful cards (especially the ones with family pictures going there).

So, please, before you drop your cards (or any mail) into the mailbox, PLEASE double check. Is the address right? do I have my return address? is there a stamp on it? We get a bad rap for "loosing mail", but believe me, there is a ton of mail everyday that we cannot possibly get to the intended destination or return to the sender because the sender has not provided us with a complete/correct address.

I'll get off my soapbox now and Wish all of you a Merry Christmas, in case I don't get a chance to get back here before then!

Donna

shannonsaulter
December 11th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I always make sure and this yr sent a card to the Netherlands didn't know the postage so went to the post office...
Love sending out cards and try to get updated addresses via email then do labels so they are more readable..this yr hand addressed couldn't find my labels.
Hope you have helped others remember too would hate to be a dead letter..

Monique
December 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Good job Donna. I also work for Canada Post. There is only so much a person can do.

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hey, a lot of people out here in la-la land think the PO hires only mind-readers!!

Suzyq
December 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hi ! Monique and others, hats off to you and those who work in postal centers... It always amazes me,how cards and other mail actually reaches the recipient in such a,short time... I thought I was pretty good in deciphering poorly written words but you postal folks must have a real special talent for figuring out addresses.. My dad worked many years for Canada post in Ottawa so I have a special admiration for you all... Have a happy Tuesday!!

CountryHut
December 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
- when I grow up - I want to be a postal detective -- I have many many many WHAT IS THE REASON FOR questions . . LOL*~

Diane :)

CrazyMtnLady
December 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your hard work.

My DH received an envelope yesterday with some brass parts in it. The envelope was a regular white long envelope with a normal stamp on it. The envelope was damaged in the sorting and then placed in a plastic sleeve by a postal worker. The plastic sleeve apologized for the damage. I say it was the idiot who sent it out in the first place without using a padded envelope. And although the word DUE was written on the front of the envelope our mail lady did not come up the drive to collect extra postage. She is a great mail lady and I can't wait to make my Eggnog Cookies and put a plate full in the mail box for her.

madampolo
December 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I boxed up my grandkid's quilt and used brown paper to wrap it. I didn't have any packing tape, so I used tons of scotch tape on it. I was nervous to mail it. My hubby took it to our wonderful small-town post office. The lady put packing tape on it, and I feel like now it has a chance to make it there. The Post Office is so busy this time of the year, so it is extra nice when they go out of their way to tape someone's package.

MayinJerset
December 12th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Good Reminder especially this time of the year we people add money or gift cards in their Christmas cards.

This theme reminds me of a couple of books I read about a guy who was a PO detective, he worked out of the Dead Letter Dept. Wonder if I still have them somewhere?

alliek
December 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Monique, We may not ever say it to postal workers, but a BIG THANK YOU. I mean it from the bottom of my heart. You guys work under pressure conditions, outside, inside. Thank you again!

Granny Judy
December 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Huggers to all the Postal Persons out there. I have the best ones imagineable. They really do a super job and I will be leaving "treats" in my box, too.

HdWench
December 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thank you so much for the reminder!! Today I am mailing out my cards, all with return address clear and mailing address clear :-) Will get forever stamps at the PO and you all work SO hard to get stuff all over the world! amazing job (((((((HUGS)))))))) Thank YOU