PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on the two Djs

Hulamoon
December 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know why this is bothering me so much. The Two DJ's from Australia did that prank call to the hospital about being the Queen. Now the nurse that took the call commited suicide over it. Now the two gooffy kids got fired and their show got canceled and being blamed for her death (sort of). It was a prank. Why did this lady take it so hard? No one got hurt. Now these two are on the chopping block. This nurse has two children what a stupid thing to kill yourself over. Just my take.

kelliedi
December 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
All i can think about it is that maybe other things were going on in her life and this just pushed her over he edge..... who knows only her....

Doloris
December 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I think it was a stupid prank with horrible outcome. I also heard on a radio show that the queen's voice is often mimicked. The royals were laughing about this prank and filed no complaints. The hospital didn't take any disciplinary actions. This nurse wasn't the one who gave out any info, she just transfered the call. She must have had other things going on and this just was the last straw like Kellie said.
As for the DJ's, I'm not sure what to think. They didn't mean any harm and didn't expect to get transferred to the floor nurse. As public personalities they should have thought this through better. No one could have anticipated the outcome. I think public outcry is huge and for their own safety canceling their radio show is for the best. I hope they can get another job in radio, and I'm sure they will think twice before ever trying anything like this again. They should have shown a little more professionalism, but I've listened to a few crazy radio personalities in my time.

Bubby
December 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I agree with Kellie. I think the incident was the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak). She must have been under a lot of stress and possibly other issues she couldn't handle. I'm sure the DJs were shocked when their call went through. I don't agree with the way the incident is being handled...it appears the show is being cancelled. The Dj's are getting death threats...it's crazy!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
It is all so tragic, and could have been avoided if the radio people would have thought this stupid idea of theirs through instead of acting like some junior high airheads to invade the privacy of the royal family. Who needed to know that information? Sensational journalism is despicable in my opinion. You asked for my opinion and I gave it.

Quilting Queen
December 10th, 2012, 06:01 PM
It was a silly prank. They didn't even have the right accents. I don't think they should be blamed for her death. It is sad but I truly don't believe that her death was their fault. Even Prince Charles got the joke. People really ought to lighten up.

Divine Daisy
December 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
There are so many issues surrounding this 'prank' not least the base crassness of it. There have been a series of these things in the UK, they are thoughtless and often cruel in their total disregard of the effect they can have on the victims.

This nurse was a devoted woman, proud of her occupation and her responsibilities, proud of the confidentiality and privacy she owed her patients. In addition she was a Hindu and by definition accutely aware of honour and duty. She felt that she had brought total shame on her family and profession. It is achingly sad that she felt that the only way to restore her honour was to take her own life but her beliefs and culture led her to that conclusion.

These two kids did not intend that their childish prank would result in such a tragic outcome but their supervisors should have been mature enough to put the brake on it. It is time that these thoughtless acts of making fools of others for entertainment stopped. The last one of these in the UK resulted in a grandfather being called and told that his grand daughter had sex for money, had slept with this one and that one. This poor man (an actor) was shocked and very distressed. It was proclaimed as 'just a joke' but these things are not funny.

Rant over.

Doloris
December 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks Daisy. I was hoping some of our English friends would chime in on this. We here in the US are just getting highlights on the news. Nice to hear more facts. I wasn't aware she was Hindu. That explains more her anxiety and her actions. Honor is very important to them.

auntiemern
December 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I live in a totally uniformed world apparently. I don't even know what is going on. Been lost in a fog for a while now. So sorry that someone had to lose their life over a stupid prank though.

Monique
December 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
It is just sad.

buckeyequilter
December 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I agree with Kellie...I think there was more going on in her life.

Musical_Starling
December 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I agree that this whole situation is very sad and breaks my heart. Especially this time of year when there are so many holiday celebrations going on (no matter which holiday you're celebrating). Anything that happens close to a holiday or birthday or whatever special occasion seems to compound the grief. I also think that the nurse who should have been "ashamed" was the nurse working on the floor. The nurse who transferred the call didn't give out any confidential information, she simply transferred it to the nurse on the ward. It probably shouldn't have been transferred, but mistakes happen. It's sad that a stupid idea combined with a simple mistake ended in such tragedy :(

New York Sue
December 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
It is all so tragic, and could have been avoided if the radio people would have thought this stupid idea of theirs through instead of acting like some junior high airheads to invade the privacy of the royal family. Who needed to know that information? Sensational journalism is despicable in my opinion. You asked for my opinion and I gave it.
Well said, Jean! Don't they have Health Information Protection laws in the U.K.?
I can't even verify a patient has been admitted to my unit (Labor and Delivery) as it would relatively disclose her diagnosis, let alone discuss specifics! When I get this kind of phone call, ('but I'm HER mother') I usually say 'you could tell me you're the Pope, how can I verify that?' I suppose I can now replace the 'Pope' with the 'Queen of England', it's more relevant now...
And I agree this lady must have had more on her plate, as well. But some Brits seem to hold the Royals very close to their heart. So who knows? It's very, very sad. Two children now without a Mom...

New York Sue
December 11th, 2012, 12:32 AM
There are so many issues surrounding this 'prank' not least the base crassness of it. There have been a series of these things in the UK, they are thoughtless and often cruel in their total disregard of the effect they can have on the victims.

This nurse was a devoted woman, proud of her occupation and her responsibilities, proud of the confidentiality and privacy she owed her patients. In addition she was a Hindu and by definition accutely aware of honour and duty. She felt that she had brought total shame on her family and profession. It is achingly sad that she felt that the only way to restore her honour was to take her own life but her beliefs and culture led her to that conclusion.

These two kids did not intend that their childish prank would result in such a tragic outcome but their supervisors should have been mature enough to put the brake on it. It is time that these thoughtless acts of making fools of others for entertainment stopped. The last one of these in the UK resulted in a grandfather being called and told that his grand daughter had sex for money, had slept with this one and that one. This poor man (an actor) was shocked and very distressed. It was proclaimed as 'just a joke' but these things are not funny.

Rant over.

Thanks for the insight, Daisy. This sort of 'shock' prank has to STOP! Hopefully that media has learned a hard, fast lesson. Peoples lives can be ruined over this sort of 'fun and games'. Senseless, immature drama.
And now two kids without a momma...

Divine Daisy
December 11th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Sue, I can assure you we have very tight Data protection laws and patiant information protection in the UK. Only some brits hold the Royal family close to their hearts, personally I would feel this way whoever the patient was. I am sure the Americans feel the same about the president and his family. the call came into the UK from australia. No data protection can provent idiots playing a stupid prank from trying. She was put through to the nurse who's job it was to assertain the necessary info. Patients provide a password which their relatives can give to verify they have permission to recieve information.

This nurse was distressed beyond words at what had happened. She felt she had brough shame on herself and her family. The media made **** sure that her humiliation was repeated over and over throughout the world. How would that make anyone feel to have an error they made talked and laughed about internationally.

Please don't imply that either the british laws cannot protect its citizens, or that the royal family receive better protection than others, this is not true and does not help the situation. The reporters did not get what they wanted. But they did get through to the ward. It is stupid, it was tasteless and it was their fault.

Can we not just imagine what this poor girl put herself through to make her feel that taking her own life was her only option? Day after day she was humiliated. Day after day her actions, her voice were laughed at. My heart breaks for her.

I only hope those two stupid kids have learnt an important life lesson. Every action causes a reaction. THINK before you do something like that. THINK how it will effect those on the perifory of the situation. You stupid joke which was meant to make you look good, cleaver, cool has caused a families world to fall around their ears!

New York Sue
December 11th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I would never want to 'imply' anything, Daisy. Most of us are in a cloud of hype and nonsense. Whatever get's the more shock, draws the more news. Could be all lies or slanting of the facts.
When I was a kid, my parents watched the news every night. Walter Cronkite always. And he seemed to be an unbiased reporter, journalism was new and raw. And their was a strict code amongst them. Report the FACTS. Draw your own conclusions.
Now, it's hard to know what to believe. I like Anderson Cooper, Rachel Maddow. Some would call this liberal journalism....
You might find it interesting that I still find the BBC the most unbiased news in the U.S..

meemeecyn
December 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Daisey, thank you for the local culture and interpretation. I know I felt so totally sad when hearing this on the news. Sad for everybody. Including Kate and William. Being so sick and all. Such sadness for the family of this nurse. Her poor children especially. The DJ's really had poor judgement, but I doubt if they had any idea what pain this prank would cause. Maybe the whole experience will serve a purpose.......sometimes with tragedy, we learn something, a very painful lesson often.

Hulamoon
December 11th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Thank you Daisy.

I still don't get for them being blamed for her death though. I guess I watch too much Saturday Night Live where public people get made fun of all the time. Late night talk shows too.

The media should be held for some of the blame too.The hospital for not screening the call and the producer of the show for letting it go through too.

These two people, entertainers, let's call them, were just having fun. I just feel so bad they have to carry the burden for this.