PDA

View Full Version : what I DON'T want for Christmas . . .

CountryHut
December 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
- ever since the Gulf War -- Hubby doesn't go anywhere - other than to work, camping and maybe a few
family gatherings - if I'm Lucky :|
-- it's like pulling someone dentures out to get him to go out to eat *grrr*~
for him - there's no more traveling out to go Christmas shopping :(
- hubby asked me last evening what I wanted for Christmas - I said -- gee -- I really don't know -
he asked ------ how about a new washer ------ *LMAO*~ . . . still laughing today --
I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. . then I said --
What in the world would make you think I would want a blasted washer for
Christmas -- holy moly that's falls under the household catagory
so I told him I would email him a list . . *orange peel smiles*~ . .

What don't you want for Christmas?

Diane :)

*a washer ~ of all the nerve*~ . . LOL*~

KerriS
December 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I absolutely don't want to have anything with a practical use i.e. in the kitchen or bathroom.
It has to be useless, and when it sparkles a little.. the better...

Bubby
December 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Jeff and I don't exchange Christmas gifts....we buy what we want throughout the year instead. We will get together with friends and go out for a special dinner before Christmas and spend a quiet day home on Christmas day with calls coming and going to our family and friends. Christmas Eve we will go to church...it's always very sweet and worshipful.

MayinJerset
December 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Usually I wouldn't want an appliance or housework related gift at Christmas but aince our dryer just died I'm having 2nd thoughts about that. I could gift DH with a new one, hmm that might be a good idea.

Like Bubby and her DH we usually buy what we need/want when we need it but I do like to have a wrapped gift or two under the tree. DH is getting a shirt with standup collar to keep his neck warm, a K cup that you put your own coffee in and this year's Hess truck. He's been sharing a Hess truck for years with DGSon Ben, truck stays here and Ben plays with it when he visits. Told DH recently that at 13 Ben rarely plays with the trucks so I'm not buying one this year. For old times sake I'll surprise DH with one.

cyndiofthevortex
December 10th, 2012, 04:13 PM
One year I got a microwave and a vacuum cleaner! It was nice to have those big boxes all wrapped and under the tree, but I had to work really hard to put on my "oh I'm so happy" face when I opened them up! Thankfully I also got fabric and some quilt books and a new sewing box, so it all worked out. I was thankful for everything, but a vacuum for Christmas? Come on!

shannonsaulter
December 10th, 2012, 04:19 PM
We always buy something for the house to put under the tree...even our pups have stockings but this year I would just like a GC from the LQS or new jammies dont need much saving up to take a big trip next year so even cash for that is good...

bakermom
December 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
My rule is-nothing that plugs in! (Unless i specifically ask for it. )
My DS wisely follows this rule for his wife also(i taught him well)

SuziC
December 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I love my DH dearly but he Always gets me something he thinks i want........not what i really would like. I never complain because the look of excitement it too much for me to crush. I just buy what i really want though out the year and don't worry about it LOL

bec
December 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I guess I'm an odd duck. Don't get me wrong...I love fun stuff (specifically quilting stuff), but in general I like good ole functional stuff. I've gotten a hand mixer before, a bread machine, useful thingies for the kitchen and I love them all.
This year I asked for a headboard for our queen sized bed. The mattress/box springs sit on a metal rail, but no headboard. I told my husband what I wanted him to make and that I wanted it to be a sunburst style. At first he wasn't terribly keen on it because he didn't know if could do a sunburst. He thought it would be too hard, but bless his heart, he drew up plans and in a week's time had it made. It is beautiful. It is getting a couple of coats of polyurethane and then we will put it on the bed frame. I'll send pics later.

CrazyMtnLady
December 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I am with Bec.... I like gadgets. I would love a large Crock Pot and since my oven quit, a new stove would be nice. I would even settle for a large toaster oven. I don't like jewelry ( only wear earrings now and then). Of course anything to do with quilting would be nice too.

Divine Daisy
December 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Mr Daisy has told everyone that I would like 'guilt free fabric vouchers'. ie Cash for fabric. Very nice although where he gets the 'guilt' thing from I have no idea! I experiance no guilt whatsoever about buying fabric! I see it, want it, buy it, make it, give or sell it. It is a cycle and it involves absolutley no guilt.

Still, if he likes his sweet image of me so be it

Claire Hallman
December 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I agree with the idea of nothing with an electric cord unless I ask for it. [I won't]

nana margaret
December 10th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I definitely don't want any more scarves, it would be nice if they were the "dressy" sort you can drape, but I only get the practical woolly sort or mufflers as we call them where I live. They usually come with matching practical woolly gloves and I have them in every practical woolly shade God ever created.:lol: Just give me a bit of glamour (doesn't have to be silk, just a nice bit of polyester would do) for a change. This year, being the year I have ventured into the world of quilting, I have asked my family for sewing equipment and I know I'm getting some books and a set of square rulers from the man who warms my bed every night! :)

auntiemern
December 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
This thread got my funny bone. DH and I aren't going to be gifting each other this year, due to some unexpected expenses this month. Yeah, I got a new battery and alternator for my van. Plus a few other 'hits'. I don't wear jewelry, except my wedding rings, and a ring that belonged to my mom. Would love an embroidery machine, but gonna have to save up for that. For the most part we get what we want, within reason, all year long, so not really much to ask for anyway. I would much rather see that the kids are taken care of than to buy each other stuff we don't need nor want. Now if I can just get him to cut back on the $ he spends at Bass Pro Shops and other various tackle shops life would be grand.

alliek
December 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hmmmm The only thing with an electric plug I would love would be a new sewing machine, then a gift certificate to MSQC, and a gift card to my local fabric shop! SIGH ain't gonna happen, but that's OK. I know whatever I get it is from the heart of those who gave, as I shop for them.

Monique
December 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I usually ask for things I need. This year a new garbage can, a new roast pan AND a quilting calendar. Hubby never got me what I wanted, so I don't tell anymore.

New York Sue
December 10th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I usually ask for things I need. This year a new garbage can, a new roast pan AND a quilting calendar. Hubby never got me what I wanted, so I don't tell anymore.

I order what I want and inform him. 'Your shopping is nearly done. I ordered those turtle necks from Lands End that I love, for you'...
I will make the electrical cord exception for one thing, and one thing only. A new or mildly-used Janome.

pcbatiks
December 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM
What I don't want is..........anything scented and clothes that are not 100% cotton........polyester and silky fabrics give me the "willies"!
Yes I know....I'm weird! :D Of course my family and friends know I don't like silky fabrics so it's not usual a problem.

Musical_Starling
December 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Man, you guys would have been totally disgusted if you got my gifts last Christmas lol I got an electric skillet, a fancy 4-slice toaster, a set of Corningware dishes, a set of Wilton baking pans, a Babycakes cupcake maker, a set of drinking glasses, and probably more "household" stuff that I'm forgetting lol I was totally excited, mainly because I picked it all out myself :icon_giggle: I gave my Mom a small list and she purchased something from her and something from my grandfather (her dad) from that list, and DH's family gave cash so I had a shopping spree lol

auntiemern
December 11th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Oh honey, not disgusted at all. I have had those kinds of wonderful Christmases too. But when ya get to be this old, you already have all of that stuff, lol. One year I got a bathroom remodel. That is what I wanted. It is all relevant if that is what you want.
Man, you guys would have been totally disgusted if you got my gifts last Christmas lol I got an electric skillet, a fancy 4-slice toaster, a set of Corningware dishes, a set of Wilton baking pans, a Babycakes cupcake maker, a set of drinking glasses, and probably more "household" stuff that I'm forgetting lol I was totally excited, mainly because I picked it all out myself :icon_giggle: I gave my Mom a small list and she purchased something from her and something from my grandfather (her dad) from that list, and DH's family gave cash so I had a shopping spree lol

mandylifeboats
December 11th, 2012, 12:19 AM
i don't want anything to do with hot chocolate. i love hot chocolate but don't give it to me as a gift. #cheap #cheap

aliaslaceygreen
December 11th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I told my husband that even a Dyson vacuum would not be considered an appropriate gift for anything larger an occasion than it was a Tuesday. He understands, NOW, but until that point just didn't get it..... That being said, my DD was stumped so I told DH I could use a new crock pot...I think one is under the tree...

meemeecyn
December 11th, 2012, 01:55 AM
This is a funny thread. It takes men a long time to figure out we don't really want something too practical. (except for fabric) My DH knows I like surprises.....but the good kind. One year I started to open the box and thought "Oh, no, he got me an electric frying pan"! Boy, was I surprised when I found out it was a Bose Radio!!!! I had mentioned months earlier that the sound from those things was wonderful. And he remembered....so he connived with my daughter to help him hide it. And it worked!!! (Oh two years later he got me the additional CD player for it...that thing rocks!)

HandsOffItsMine
December 11th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hmm, I picked out some designer Blue & White Fabric for a future bed quilt that will be my Xmas present. Don't need anything really that fits within the budget - The move to the Mainland is what we want, that's what we are saving for! Don would like some modules to his CADD software. That will do it for us this year. :)

After 32 years Don knows, No clothes, No appliances of any kind unless it's a sewing machine or serger, model # given. :) Nothing from Victoria Secrets, that body is long gone!

Sew Perfect
December 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM
For the last few years, my DH bought me a Dooney and Burke bag. This year, I will be happy with NOT receiving a bag of any kind. I would like a new iron...yes, I asked for an Olisio and an Ott lite. My daughter asked me what I wanted, so I told her some PJ's, a jogging outfit, or some crochet hooks. I don't really know how to crochet, but I want to learn.

toggpine
December 11th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Oooh! A Crockpot full of hot chocolate!

Lisapc
December 11th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I don't want to be the only one Christmas morning without a present wrapped under the tree. Hubby leaves me envelopes with money in them. I want a thoughtful gift.

Frankly, he is being a Scrooge about my sewing room. He wants me to use a table that literally upsets my body instead of letting me spend $75 dollars on the one I want. I don't care that both of our cars needed repairs last month. Those are necessities and Christmas is on the calendar every year we never buy anything!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, Christmas is a sore spot for me w/hubby and I know how lucky I am.

Lisaau
December 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
A couple of weeks ago l got an email from my favorite aquarium store (l'm a bit of a fish buff)...Anyhow they had these Nano aquarium set up to keep saltwater (marine fish)..and l made a passing commnents to my husband about how beautiful they are and how l would love to one day to be able to keep marine fish ......My husband was sitting beside me on the couch and took a look at what l was talking about and then said "how would you like one of those for christmas...".... So l got ready and we went and purchased a set up ......

Hopefully l can start putting some corals in this week ...and in about 2 or 3 wks we can finally put some fish into it ..l'm so excited l've wanted saltwater fish my whole life...the tank is about 5 gallons ...and l can keep 2 clown fish (nemos) and a goby or 2 and a couple of peppermint shrimp. I know his also got a "singer 160th anniversary black sewing machine " on layby (layaway) as well ....but l'm not sure if he will give it to me for christmas or for my birthday in january.. will post a pic below for my new marine setup l cant wait for fish ...

My 1st saltwater fish setup (marine)

madampolo
December 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I order what I want and inform him. 'Your shopping is nearly done."

I got a big kick out of that!

I got my new used sewing machine this year, and hubby ordered some audio books that he wanted. We buy so much throughout the year, we don't really exchange gifts. I don't mind getting things like a vacuum cleaner, etc. I love practical gifts, and not something I wouldn't really use. I am madly working on my SIL's quilt. It is about half way quilted. I'll be working on it again today hoping to finish the quilting. It is 29 degrees this morning, and the building I sew in isn't heated. I bought a small heater yesterday because we knew it was going to get cold. It worked great yesterday, and will get a good use today. Now, that's a Christmas present that warms my heart!

Tanya D
December 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM
We make detailed lists...like I tell him exactly what store it's in, and exactly what I want.

However this year, I can't really come up with much. I need a sewing box so that's on there and I thought I wanted a Pandora bracelet but I've changed my mind. I did see a foot bath with massager last night while I was out and about...I wouldn't mind that. My feet are so sore all the time, it would be nice to soak them and massage them. I really need clothes but I would never want Steve to pick those out for me.

Truthfully, I really want new carpet and lino in our house...it's in dire need of it but that will likely have to wait.

EnumclawGramma
December 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM
A few years back before I found quilting, my DH felt strongly that I needed a hobby. He was into martial arts and his guitar playing. He razzed me a lot about not having a hobby. At that time I worked full time and had 3 teenagers. LIFE was my hobby. Under the tree that year was a great big box with my name on it. Everything you need to make CANDLES. Seriously? He bought me a HOBBY for Christmas? I made 3 or 4 candles which I gave as gifts. Hauled the big box of wax, scents, wicks, colors, pots etc etc etc around from house to house for years. In our most recent garage clean out.....I let it GO! I HAVE a hobby now, and that man is SO thrilled he NEVER looks sideways at my quilting purchases! LOL!

This year I'm not asking for a thing! I got my sewing machine a few months ago and the newness hasn't worn off yet! No way for me it could be any better!

MayinJerset
December 12th, 2012, 09:48 AM
i don't want anything to do with hot chocolate. i love hot chocolate but don't give it to me as a gift. #cheap #cheap

Not even some hot chocolate by Stone Cold? It's made with real chocolate.

buckeyequilter
December 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Actually the only thing I don't want for Christmas is snow. I've seen it before and I don't need to see it again to remember what it looks like - I haven't forgotten.

If we want something we usually go buy it. I know I'm getting my perfume and I think I'm going to put a bug in someones ear that I want an electic blanket (yeah it has a cord on it....but I want it). They don't even need to think about getting me anything for the kitchen because I hardly ever cook - just a yard of fabric would be better than a crock pot. My mom used to love buying small electic appliances for us....one year she gave me a Wok...ummm....what the heck am I going to do with a wok, I don't even like Chineese food. I think I left it with my ex when I got divorced.

New York Sue
December 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
This is a funny thread. It takes men a long time to figure out we don't really want something too practical. (except for fabric) My DH knows I like surprises.....but the good kind. One year I started to open the box and thought "Oh, no, he got me an electric frying pan"! Boy, was I surprised when I found out it was a Bose Radio!!!! I had mentioned months earlier that the sound from those things was wonderful. And he remembered....so he connived with my daughter to help him hide it. And it worked!!! (Oh two years later he got me the additional CD player for it...that thing rocks!)

I LOVE my BOSE! How can such great sound come out of such a small machine?

I'd wanted a Kitchen Aid Mixer for years. And over the years, I threw out little hints here and there. And over the years, it became the first 'After-Christmas' topic with my neighbor. 'Did you get the Kitchen Aid mixer this year?' 'NOPE. Not this year', I'd reply...
Well my girls were getting older, and started lives of their own. And they seemed to direct DH at times, on matters regarding gifts for me. Two years ago, I'm eyeing the present. It sure looks the right size...Can this BE the YEAR? Home free, right?
AH, no.... But a BEAUTIFUL set of Cuisenart pots and pans! WOOHOO!
Now I was COMPLETELY satisfied with my gift, but I 'slipped' in front of him, and said I was sure this was the year of the Kitchen Aid mixer. The size of the box and all....
So two days after Christmas, (and probably not feeling so good about himself, because I have these 'slips'...) he suprises me with a pug puppy, Mitch. Our THIRD PUG, mind you! Now, we really needed a third dog like a hole in the head, and a Ktchen Aid mixer really would have been much cheaper. But this pup is the sweetest and best demeanored of the three. And someday, maybe it will be just Mitch and me. Or Mitch and DH...
Everything happens for a reason.

Granny Judy
December 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
At my age I have about everything I could ever want, so it's really hard to think or find something I would like... BUT so easy to tell ya what I DON'T want:
I don't want frilly lacey stuff.. I slid right out of bed the last time I wore a silky nitey.
Keep your exercise equipment out of my way. (danger signs should be placed on them).
Trips lasting longer than 1 hour without a potty break.
No more Poop Scoupers needed since the last pet past on and I don't do yard work anymore.
I have enough Scarfs and gloves to start my own shop.
I'm allergic to perfumes and most bath products...so save your money.
I can no longer eat chocolates, caffeine or spicey foods without getting bad heartburn..

What does that leave me getting.. OLD, Darn it.. Just plain OLD.

Lonna
December 12th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I have told DH that I do not have a want for anything in the world for Christmas this year. So I come home from work Monday evening and he says I bought you your Christmas gift. Now Wayne can not wait for Christmas to roll around, he has never been able to. So off he goes into the bedroom and comes back out with this wonderful little box and inside is the most beautiful pair of silver Open Heart earrings. I told him I did not want him to do anything for me and he says well I may not be here for next Christmas and I wanted you to have these to remember me by. Now is this not the sweetest man in the world thinking of me while fighting for his life. I would not trade anything in the world for that moment.

GinnyKNC
December 12th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I'm with all of you lol. We usually buy for the house all year and especially on black Friday when we can get things cheaper. I usually do ask for things I need for the house though. That way I can buy my fun stuff myself :) This year on black Friday I did get a new ring which was not expected and I love it :) I always like a surprise though.

SuzyQue
December 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Lonna--your post made me cry....what a sweet hubby you have!
I use to leave out ads on the coffee table with things circled in red ink.....now I have a daughter that is just plain awesome about gifts and she can "help" hubby when he asks. He has already purchased and given me my gift this year and it was thoughtful, useful, and beautiful! It was a "true gift"-----something that I would not have purchased for myself and he thought of it all by himself!!!

HdWench
December 12th, 2012, 04:05 PM
lol Dryers, washers!! hmm Like bec and MountainLady sometimes I'd rather have the household stuff. Asked for (and got) a Gas Weed Wacker once LOL this year a new laptop (but I then ordered fabric from HERE) cuz we NEEDED the laptop -- I also like something not necessarily needed in life under the tree :-)

pcbatiks
December 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Lonna.......what a sweet story............thanks for sharing it with us! Hope you and Wayne have a very special Christmas!

New York Sue
December 14th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I have told DH that I do not have a want for anything in the world for Christmas this year. So I come home from work Monday evening and he says I bought you your Christmas gift. Now Wayne can not wait for Christmas to roll around, he has never been able to. So off he goes into the bedroom and comes back out with this wonderful little box and inside is the most beautiful pair of silver Open Heart earrings. I told him I did not want him to do anything for me and he says well I may not be here for next Christmas and I wanted you to have these to remember me by. Now is this not the sweetest man in the world thinking of me while fighting for his life. I would not trade anything in the world for that moment.
Well, this is a fine example of what's wrong with this world. Such a poinent, heart-felt post, that was nearly missed by me!
Back up to the TOP.
I'm going to be BOLD, and maybe say something that is not particularly mainstream, nor popular.
My DH and I have a pact. There is only so much a body can do...
In the face of everything medicene has today, and no reasonable cure, 'snow' me out' is our pact.....

HandsOffItsMine
December 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM

Lonna, I think it's wonderful that Wayne thought of you at this time! May God bring a miracle to you both and heal Wayne so that you may have many Christmasses together to look back at this moment. :)

Musical_Starling
December 14th, 2012, 03:57 AM

What an absolute sweetheart you have there! Regardless of what the future brings, you will always have that beautiful Christmas memory. I pray for you both daily and truly hope and wish that, in this case, Wayne is wrong :)

bkthomas
December 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Oh My................

lilmouse
December 14th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Oh my Lonna....I think I would have cried...happy tears but I would have cried...and I don't cry!

janluna
December 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joe and I would rather spend on the Grandkids. And we are thankful for another year together and more importantly, another year with our darling Emily. In the past I have always asked for the practical stuff and Joseph always buys me something wonderful instead. A ring, clothes, perfume, etc. Since we don't go often, I don't wear jewelry much, but I have several things that live in our safe. I told him this year, if the kids ask, tell them Joann's Fabric gift cards. Otherwise, I have him and the kids and grandkids, and that is all I need or want. Unless he gives me a Janome 12000! LOL I have champagne taste on a beer income. LOL I wouldn't even ask for such a thing but it's fun dreaming a "if I won the Lottery" dream. I'll never win of course, cause I never waste my dollars on a ticket. I did tell him he could save up for a plane ticket to Missouri though! LOL
Ahh the things we want. Merry Christmas everyone, and may your dreams come true. Hugs, Jan L.

Suzyq
December 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Jan, you are a wonderful lady! Here you're,thinking of what's important in life, and setting aside the consumerism of,the holidays... I wish there were more sweeties like you around me... There's nothing wrong with gifts at Xmas, don't get me wrong, but to read your heartwarming message, well let's just say you deserve a big hug!

Breezed
December 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hmm, I picked out some designer Blue & White Fabric for a future bed quilt that will be my Xmas present. Don't need anything really that fits within the budget - The move to the Mainland is what we want, that's what we are saving for! Don would like some modules to his CADD software. That will do it for us this year. :)

After 32 years Don knows, No clothes, No appliances of any kind unless it's a sewing machine or serger, model # given. :) Nothing from Victoria Secrets, that body is long gone!

LOL, that was very funny.

grammakim04
December 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Lonna, I hope you and Wayne had a very special Christmas together.

My husband is also very ill and this will be our last Christmas together. He also surprised with a very special gift of jewelry that I didn't expect, but I will treasure it always. Don't look at what the gift was, look at person's heart who gave the gift. Treasure each day with one another because life can change at a moment's notice.

Kim

Lonna
January 1st, 2013, 02:41 AM
Thank you Kim we had a very quite Christmas and now a very layed back New Years Eve. We were just talking about past New Years Eve's and our nights out. Wayne was saying this evening if he thought he could have held out we would have gone down to New Orleans and spent the evening at Jackson Square watching the fleur-de-lis drop and then over to Bourbon Street. But I know that he could not have held out for that long. The damp air would have done him in, don't need him to get sick on top of the cancer. But once again his thought was what counted as far as I am concerned.

I will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers. Like you said we need to treasure each and every moment. This year make sure you hug and let all those you know and love how you feel about them. My parents are in the 80's now and every evening I tell them that I love them. Wishing you the best for this New Year.

dwil23
January 1st, 2013, 02:59 AM
Well, I'm a little late for this party, but I guess I am just not"with it". I would never ask for a gift - from anyone - because then it is not a gift, but a request. I gladly accept whatever I am given and don't see it as a burden or demeaning if it is given in love. That's just me.

dwil23
January 1st, 2013, 03:02 AM
Lonna, I think it's wonderful that Wayne thought of you at this time! May God bring a miracle to you both and heal Wayne so that you may have many Christmasses together to look back at this moment. :)

Amen. I pray for healing for all.

Lonna
January 1st, 2013, 03:37 AM
dwil23 Thank you for your prayers. I do believe in prayers and I do pray that it is God's will to heal Wayne. He has been very strong through this whole thing. But if it not his will then I pray Wayne will be able to go to his be with his Heavenly Father in peace with out to much suffering.