PDA

View Full Version : Add on ironing surface for sewing/craft table

narmrn
December 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
A peoduct question for all my forum friends...A quilter friend that attended a huge quilt show in Washington State was telling me about a new product that is in essence a small ironing surface that attaches to your sewing table where you can press open seams set seams etc. She says you don't have to keep getting up from your machine to go to the iroing board...Anyone know what this is and what it is called. Seems like it would be ultra handy when doing lot of pieced blocks??

madampolo
December 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I haven't seen it. I have my ironing board lowered to desk height On top of it is one of those ironing boards that Jenny showed how to make. I would really hate to get up and down to iron. I guess you need to have room for an ironing board to do this. I hope someone knows of the product you mentioned. I would like to see it.

CrazyMtnLady
December 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I have not heard of it. I do have an ironing pad but I usually just get up to iron. As Blondie would say: Heckfireshoot! that's about all the exercise I get! LOL.

Bubby
December 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I haven't seen this product, but I have an ironing pad that has ironing board cover material on both sides. I use one side for pressing paper-pieced blocks or fusibles, to keep the other side clean for all other blocks. Have you seen the small table-top ironing boards at Dollar General? They cost $6-$7. I buy these and remove the legs and place it directly on top of my ironing board (lowered to sitting height). Or I can just put it on my sewing table next to me. The pads are convenient to take to a class or sewing group because they can be rolled up. The portable ironing board is also easy to tote around.

buckeyequilter
December 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Here's one I found:
http://www.quiltersmate.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=quilters&hdr=qm

Here's an interesting one...might check this one out a little more:
http://sew-incidentally.blogspot.com/2011/10/sewing-spaces-slide-out-under-table.html

Musical_Starling
December 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I just use the TV tray ironing board, and it works great :) I do have to buy a smaller iron though, because with such a small board the iron is taking up some prime real estate! lol

Cat n bull
December 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have not heard of it. I do have an ironing pad but I usually just get up to iron. As Blondie would say: Heckfireshoot! that's about all the exercise I get! LOL.

Me too, I get up to iron because I need the break from sitting in the same chair for too long!

Sandy Navas
December 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM

DITTO, DITTO, AND DITTO!

I keep looking for one of those wooden folding TV trays but can't find one that isn't with a set and I don't need the stand and three others!

Sandy Navas
December 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
BTW M*QC has a small steam iron for about $10 - I have a couple of them tucked around in various places but I don't use them like I should. They are fantastic little irons and are so very convenient to have right beside you when you need to press something quickly.

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/mini-crafting-iron-assorted-colors-by-darice-crafter-s-toolbox.html

Musical_Starling
December 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
BTW M*QC has a small steam iron for about $10 - I have a couple of them tucked around in various places but I don't use them like I should. They are fantastic little irons and are so very convenient to have right beside you when you need to press something quickly.

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/mini-crafting-iron-assorted-colors-by-darice-crafter-s-toolbox.html

That's the one I've been looking at! lol Glad to know they work well :D Oh, and I've seen individual TV tables at Walmart too. I used a small table we already have (we were given two by MIL when they moved away) but I've seen them sold individually there :) Not sure if the Walmarts in the US do the same though.

rochellejay
December 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
DITTO, DITTO, AND DITTO!

I keep looking for one of those wooden folding TV trays but can't find one that isn't with a set and I don't need the stand and three others!

I got a single TV tray for $15 from Bed Bath and Beyond. :)

Nursmate2
December 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Walmart sells the TV trays for around 10.00 individually. I use one of those with the ironing pad Jenny has in her tutorial on it. I can iron sitting down. It works for pieces or block but anything bigger I have to go the the big board.

You could probably put one of those portable ironing boards on the slider like in an earlier post. They have a lot of the slide in and out stuff at Home depot and Lowes for the kitchen.