PDA

View Full Version : Spelling Errors

madampolo
December 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I thought I'd start a non-quilting thread with pet peeves with respect to spelling and/or grammar. I am trying to be very careful so as to not make a mistake myself in this thread.

I thought about starting this thread when I saw someone say that a blog contained a grammatical error. The person had written "your's" when it should have been "yours". Apparently, you don't put the apostrophe like you normally would. Well, that was news to me. I had to look it up. I learned something.

I have a few pet peeves. Foremost is "alot". It is "a lot", or "allot". The first means a bunch of and the latter means to portion out. Another thing is "to" versus "too". I see a lot of sentences where they say "it is way to hot in here", instead of "it is way too hot in here."

There are always things my fingers do uncontrollably. I say "boarder" instead of "border", and "your welcome" instead of "you're welcome". I am convinced it is "a hiccup", not "an hiccup".

Please tell me your pet peeves. I am sure I will learn "a lot" if your lesson is not "too" hard.

Sew Perfect
December 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
My pet peeve is rudeness and extremely critical people. There is a woman in our sewing group who is so critical that it has come to the point of being rude. I personally think that when a person sits around and picks apart what other people are doing is rude and tacky. That's just my opinion. It really does get on my nerves; sometimes I will even show that I am irritated, though I try not too.

I believe positive criticism is much better and can help others learn without feeling hurt or insulted.

lilmouse
December 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Misa, I have learned that most people who are super critical are very insecure on the inside and deserve pity because to feel good about themselves they have to put everyone around them down! I think that is very sad!

CountryHut
December 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
- I believe that typo's or bad grammer don't count after dark 30 . . . JMO*~

buckeyequilter
December 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I try not to let things bother me, not good for the blood pressure. My pet peeve is acronyms.

Jess1377
December 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I get irritated at the typos people make when they are being out-right blatantly rude and hateful towards something or someone like in a protest or hateful / ignorant tweet or facebook post. That just irks me to death and enhances their stupidity even more than the words coming out of their mouth's (sp?)!

As far as my own typos I will spell a word out fully or use a different word entirely to avoid spelling something incorrectly as often as possible. I always get these wrong for instance: doesnt, completely, and well... a bunch more but I cant think of them right now.:D

CrazyMtnLady
December 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Well, eye jest dont reely kare too much bout how sum pepples right or talk. eye am jest greatful two hav sum frends. :)

But I am glad I have spell checker LOL

Divine Daisy
December 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM
It bugs me when someone starts a sentence with 'so' or 'ok'........for example..'ok I started dinner and.......' Also when people shorten a word, such as 'he played fantastic'. Whats wrong with either 'he is a fantastic player' or he played fantastically'?

I am aware though of the difference between English and American English. So something that sounds wrong to me is not always so in the US or Canada. I am sad that English English is becoming more American every day I think it is important to preserve each of our languages.

As to spelling..........I am dyslexic and am guilty of poor spelling and have been all my life, I am just grateful that thanks to good teaching I am able to at least make myself understood.

Lonna
December 6th, 2012, 09:19 PM
And this is why I do not post as much as I would like. Becase I know that I make a lot of mistakes as I have problems spelling. As a child at the age of 4 I had the Hong Cong flu which left me with hearing problems. I can hear what people are saying I just can not sound out words. So of course that means I have problem spelling. So I am sorry if I offend anyone with my spelling and grammer. I felt as if I was excepted here but I guess not. Sorry I can met up to peoples standards.

Cat n bull
December 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
My biggest pet peeve is people (that live in the US) who complain loudly about immigrants not speaking English, when they themselves were born and raised in the US and they butcher the English language. There is no excuse for not speaking your native language properly!

sewbizzy
December 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Misa, I have learned that most people who are super critical are very insecure on the inside and deserve pity because to feel good about themselves they have to put everyone around them down! I think that is very sad!

I agree with this one wholeheartedly....

sewbizzy
December 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Another pet peeve of mine is someone that only wants to talk about themselves...I believe they are also so insecure about themselves...

Bubby
December 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Typos and poor grammar don't bother me a fraction as much as negativity. The purpose of our forum is to encourage each other and share our ideas and creativity...not to pick on each other. We have a wealth of experience and knowledge in our group...let's pull together and accomplish good things. Life is too short....let's move on!!

alliek
December 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Has anyone heard of "Learning disabilities". If you ever encounter an adult with some type of intellectual disability you might be more forgiving of people's errors. Is this not a forum just to chat with others who share a love of quilting? Relax. Merry Christmas.

buckeyequilter
December 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I agree with Barb....spelling and grammer doesn't really bother me. I can generally decipher what people mean even if they have a spelling error.

I was reading a newspaper at work and there was an acronym in there and I read the entire article and still didn't have a clue what it meant. I'm not talking about the simple ones such as LOL etc. I'm talking about stuff like MRST (what the heck?) and they didn't bother to put what it was in parantheses, at least once, in the article.

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 09:43 PM
And this is why I do not post as much as I would like. Becase I know that I make a lot of mistakes as I have problems spelling. As a child at the age of 4 I had the Hong Cong flu which left me with hearing problems. I can hear what people are saying I just can not sound out words. So of course that means I have problem spelling. So I am sorry if I offend anyone with my spelling and grammer. I felt as if I was excepted here but I guess not. Sorry I can met up to peoples standards.

Lonna darling, worry not! Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter ;)

I am a stickler for grammar and spelling, but only for my own writing. I pick up on errors of others, but they don't bother me in the least :) And I certainly make enough typos that I can't criticize anyone else for theirs. And the there/their/they're debacle? It seems that only a handful of people can distinguish the difference so I ignore that mistake entirely. Listen ladies, don't get too critical, because feelings can certainly be hurt (as you can see from Lonna's post above). Besides, if you can still decipher the message then what's the big deal? You'd all be up the creek without a paddle if you came to Newfoundland where th's become d's, and h's are either dropped or added on all over the place. Then you have people who will type "yeal" instead of "yeah" because that's how it's pronounced. Just relax! It's not hurting anyone :)

Besides, some day you may visit Newfoundland and hear a phrase like "Stay wur ya to till I comes wur yer at!" :icon_giggle:

K. McEuen
December 6th, 2012, 09:44 PM

And my pet peeve is someone bitching about something so trivial to make someone as sweet as Lonna feel like this. Some people on this forum need to get over themselves.

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
And my pet peeve is someone bitching about something so trivial to make someone as sweet as Lonna feel like this. Some people on this forum need to get over themselves.

*applauds* :)

Divine Daisy
December 6th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Lonna..........noooooooooooo. Good lord you are accepted here with bells on! We love you! I certainly was not referring to anyone here. Goodness me, my spelling is awful. I am so so sorry if I upset you, I certainly didn't mean to.

CountryHut
December 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
don't go --- We Love you Lonna --

Diane :)

Lisapc
December 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
This is just sad. This forum is for questions, ideas, show and tell and support in everything. I am a stickler for grammar and spelling in myself and yet unless spell check catches it I don't. I never proof read a post. I as a newbie can and have already learned a lot about quilting and more from this forum. This is a place I am quickly becoming addicted because it is so positive and supportive. I think we all or most of us on here want to keep it that way. I am very grateful for all the help I have received already.

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 10:46 PM
This is just sad. This forum is for questions, ideas, show and tell and support in everything. I am a stickler for grammar and spelling in myself and yet unless spell check catches it I don't. I never proof read a post. I as a newbie can and have already learned a lot about quilting and more from this forum. This is a place I am quickly becoming addicted because it is so positive and supportive. I think we all or most of us on here want to keep it that way. I am very grateful for all the help I have received already.

I always proofread after I hit enter, and then have to go back and hit "edit" and fix my mistakes. D'oh! lol

mommadeb
December 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM
To and Too

SPELLING!! I worked for a place where the administrative secretary could not spell and would not proof-read anything being sent out. She had terrible spelling. She was quite the embarrassment.

buckeyequilter
December 6th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I always proofread after I hit enter, and then have to go back and hit "edit" and fix my mistakes. D'oh! lol

I thought I was the only one that had to do that LOL

Jess1377
December 6th, 2012, 11:22 PM
***EEEK!!*** I too wasnt trying to hurt anyone here!!! I meant very specifically about people who are being hateful towards others for whatever they feel does not conform to their lifestyle. I could care less about how we spell when we communicate to one another on this forum, thats not the point here one bit! Lonna, please dont feel ostracized by this. I think the thread was started more on a whim. I have seen facebook posts that point out spelling and using correct terminology but mostly towards the jerks who wrote the incredibly stupid post in the first place. You know the ones who come out with obnoxious statements, I mean really obnoxious, and 1st, the statement they are trying to make is wrong and 2nd the way they wrote it was easy to pick on because they were being jerks in the 1st place and couldnt say what the meant right anyways. (oy vey, am I making sense?!) I totally understand about learning disabilities, my son is dealing with one and it is a truly tough thing to work through and it is very very real! My heart goes out to you Lonna and am sure no one here meant any harm to anyone else here, at least not intentionally. I truly didnt mean to by any means whatsoever. I do apologize through and through.

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 11:29 PM
To and Too

SPELLING!! I worked for a place where the administrative secretary could not spell and would not proof-read anything being sent out. She had terrible spelling. She was quite the embarrassment.

If you're sending something on behalf of a business or if it's a legal document, those kinds of things, then grammar and spelling is very important and you definitely need a good proofreader. But for every day conversations with friends (which is what we do here on the board) then grammar and spelling can be thrown out the window :D

madampolo
December 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for their post! It has been interesting to read, and I have learned a lot from the comments. Certainly this forum is for everyone. Enough said. Everyone ready to start another thread?

Sandy Navas
December 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM
If we are going to start another thread, I suggest everyone try Coats and Clark and if that doesn't work, then Guttermann or Sulky . . .maybe even Madera if you are doing embroidery . . .

I personally like embroidery thread . . . DMC is the best.

MRoy
December 6th, 2012, 11:43 PM
If the only thing I had to worry about was whether anyone here uses proper grammar, spelling, punctuation or sentence structure, then I wouldn't have a care in the world.
I agree with Dee...Them that matter don't mind, and them that mind don't matter!

Lonna
December 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I am sorry that I upset everyone. I guess I just have too much on my plate right now and it seems I never know what is going to upset me anymore. I harbor no hard feeling toward any one here. I guess just letting things bother me that shouldn't. Once again I am sorry.

MRoy
December 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Lonna, please don't feel like you need to apologize. I'm sending you a BIG HUG!
(((((((((((LONNA)))))))))))

buckeyequilter
December 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM
If we are going to start another thread, I suggest everyone try Coats and Clark and if that doesn't work, then Guttermann or Sulky . . .maybe even Madera if you are doing embroidery . . .

I just started a new thread from Connecting threads in my machine tonight for the placemats that I'm just beginning to quilt.

cyndiofthevortex
December 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
So here's my non-grammar story but it sort of fits and I'd like to make someone smile if I can. I have always been very proud of the way I can read out loud. I was so good at it in grade school I can still remember the nuns praising me! But God has a way of shaking our egos up a bit when they get out of hand. I was in a Bible study a few years ago and we were all reading paragraphs on prayer. Mine was on how to be spontaneous in prayer, you know, just talk to God as if he were a friend of yours and you wanted to share things with him. So around the room we go and as everyone reads their parts I just get more and more puffed up with pride. When it's my turn, I can hardly wait. Then to my surprise I hear myself say, "Spray pontaneously!"

HandsOffItsMine
December 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Lonna, ignore meeting up to anyone's standards...piss on them all! :) Or "Off with their heads!" lol They all have faults one way or another, no one is perfect. If they think they do, boy are they ever wrong!

We accept you as is Sweetie and don't worry about your spelling or grammar. You're beautiful and loved for who you are! Write and post every day. There's spell check on here, I know that I can't get it to work with my browser however. Don't let any Spelling or Grammar Police ever make you feel bad, same with the Quilting Police. It's only someone's opinion, they don't know everyone's background or situation.

Love you (((Lonna))) Sorry if someone's words hurt you.

Huggers, Ruby

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 11:56 PM

DMC and Gutermann over here please! :D

If the only thing I had to worry about was whether anyone here uses proper grammar, spelling, punctuation or sentence structure, then I wouldn't have a care in the world.

NOW AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH?!? Amen sister!

I am sorry that I upset everyone. I guess I just have too much on my plate right now and it seems I never know what is going to upset me anymore. I harbor no hard feeling toward any one here. I guess just letting things bother me that shouldn't. Once again I am sorry.

No apologies required love :) We all understand completely. If you feel the need to talk about something, you know how to reach all of us :icon_hug:

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM
So here's my non-grammar story but it sort of fits and I'd like to make someone smile if I can. I have always been very proud of the way I can read out loud. I was so good at it in grade school I can still remember the nuns praising me! But God has a way of shaking our egos up a bit when they get out of hand. I was in a Bible study a few years ago and we were all reading paragraphs on prayer. Mine was on how to be spontaneous in prayer, you know, just talk to God as if he were a friend of yours and you wanted to share things with him. So around the room we go and as everyone reads their parts I just get more and more puffed up with pride. When it's my turn, I can hardly wait. Then to my surprise I hear myself say, "Spray pontaneously!"

:icon_giggle: Reminds me of one of my sisters. She's always very "pacific" about things, where most of us would be specific :D

buckeyequilter
December 7th, 2012, 12:00 AM

You made me smile...in fact, you made me laugh.

Sew Perfect
December 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM
It seems to me that many are in agreement. Having fun and sewing is what we are all about here. Everyone here is so talented and the encouragement we can all give one another is so positive and helpful to one another.

Thank you for responding to what I said regarding the one woman in our group. You are so very right to say what you did. Bless her heart.

Spelling, who cares? We don't need to spell correctly to know what the other is saying. I am a poor speller. Sometimes I care, other times I don't.

God Bless and Happy Sewing to each and everyone of you!

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Then to my surprise I hear myself say, "Spray pontaneously!"

You know it's coming out that way, you hear it coming out that way and there's not a darn thing you can do to stop it, either!

BellasQuilts
December 7th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love this place, we can laugh, cry, b*tch about stuff, etc. and it's all good! Hugs to all.

MRoy
December 7th, 2012, 12:12 AM
You know it's coming out that way, you hear it coming out that way and there's not a darn thing you can do to stop it, either!

That's why it's called "pontaneous" Karen! I love it because it sounds like something I'd do too. A male co-worker of mine says he can't say "oscillating" correctly so he talks about the "ovulating" fan in his office...cracks us all up!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 7th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I started a post a couple of months ago about the definition of "boarder" and "border". Somehow, that word seemed to be used a lot and seemed to relate to quilting. But the furor the post brought to the table wasn't worth the action on my part. We are who we are, and spelling isn't the biggest thing about us. We are here to support each other, and we all have our weak areas. And if someone feels like they don't belong because of their spelling, that just isn't right! If someone is mean or rude, they need to be called out for it, but not because they spell differently than others.

I guess it is the English teacher in me that made me post what I did, I'm SO DONE WITH GRADING ENGLISH WRITING right now! Thank heaven for retirement, next week!

Divine Daisy
December 7th, 2012, 12:15 AM
i could upset everyone if i mentioned fanny farts!

Musical_Starling
December 7th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Cyndi, I just remembered something from my Grade 10 Biology class (which was 12 years ago lol). It took a few minutes, but I remembered it! We had a new teacher, and she was a young woman (late 20's). So we were learning about different types of organisms, and every time she would write notes on the board one of the class clowns (we had a few) would read the notes out loud to himself and would always say "orgasm" instead of organism to bug the young woman lol And wouldn't you know it, the teacher started doing it too!! Still has to catch herself from saying "orgasm" whenever she talks about organisms :icon_giggle:

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2012, 12:18 AM
i could upset everyone if i mentioned fanny farts!

I think they call that queefing over here.

I wonder if Al will ban me ...

Musical_Starling
December 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I have one more lol Here's a post from a blog I read. When I read this post, I laughed so hard, I CRIED. I doubled over, couldn't breathe, I'm laughing just reading it again lol

http://mylifeandkids.com/2012/10/even-steven-needs-surgery/

Please don't read if you don't like anyone mentioning "lady parts" lol

buckeyequilter
December 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I have been learning a lot from the folks on the forum....not just quilting stuff. I love reading the posts and getting a small glimpse into the lives of the people on here. I don't care if you're rich or poor, big or small, handicapped or not...you're my friends and that's all that matters.

Sew Perfect
December 7th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I have been learning a lot from the folks on the forum....not just quilting stuff. I love reading the posts and getting a small glimpse into the lives of the people on here. I don't care if you're rich or poor, big or small, handicapped or not...you're my friends and that's all that matters.

I second that, Shirley.

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I have one more lol Here's a post from a blog I read. When I read this post, I laughed so hard, I CRIED. I doubled over, couldn't breathe, I'm laughing just reading it again lol

http://mylifeandkids.com/2012/10/even-steven-needs-surgery/

Please don't read if you don't like anyone mentioning "lady parts" lol

Hahahaha! reminds me of the time I told my oldest sister that her traveling blow dryer looked like a dildo. Too bad it was within earshot of mom. I had to explain what a dildo was to her ...

HandsOffItsMine
December 7th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Hahahaha! reminds me of the time I told my oldest sister that her traveling blow dryer looked like a dildo. Too bad it was within earshot of mom. I had to explain what a dildo was to her ...

LOL @ Karen, Karen...You crack me up! Right between the eyes.

Musical_Starling
December 7th, 2012, 01:10 AM

My Mom and Dad recently moved to a town named Dildo :icon_giggle:

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM

With the turn this thread has taken Shirley may be learning more than she bargained for! ;)

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2012, 01:18 AM

:icon_rofl: Who names these towns?

Musical_Starling
December 7th, 2012, 01:27 AM
:icon_rofl: Who names these towns?

They wanted to change the name back a long while ago, but it never happened. So now they've embraced it, and they have Dildo Days, and you can even get your picture taken with Captain Dildo :D

Slokarma
December 7th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I thought I was the only one that had to do that LOL

No, count me in. For some reason, I can read it, it looks fine and then I hit enter and reread it and OOOPS!

I know I typed boarder instead of border the other night, and normally I would have corrected it, but I just didn't. I think I was just too pooped to change it.

meemeecyn
December 7th, 2012, 01:32 AM

Well said, Shirley. I agree. This a place where we all care for one another, we want to be uplifting when there is a need and accepting we are all human. I believe no one meant to hurt anyone. As for thread.....umm, let me see. I'm with Sandy. Her brands are the best! Then again, Connecting Threads has a pretty decent kind with great prices!
Take care everyone and hugs for each of you.
Cynthia

pcbatiks
December 7th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Lonna..... We all love you and that is obvious by all the support you got on that thread. We all have strong areas and areas of weakness. Math is my weak area. Sorry your feelings were hurt today......you don't deserve that. So continue to post....we would miss you terribly if you were not here. Just remember that we all have our strengths and weaknesses......and I think most people on the forum can admit that they do. I guess you know if you don't keep posting we will come looking for you :D and that's because we care about you! There is a reason this is the best forum around.........we care for and support each other!!

auntiemern
December 7th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Oh Donna that was just to funny. By the way, too, means also, not to. As in going to the store. I think we should all just ask Jean, she is after all, an English teacher. Personally I think it is also rude to point out others grammatical errors. This is a no quilt police forum, and should also be a no proper grammar/spelling forum. I generally speak and write proper English, but don't feel it is all that necessary when talking, or writing with friends. If that is your main pet peeve in life, or in here, I just feel sorry for you. There really are bigger issues in life to deal with.
Well, eye jest dont reely kare too much bout how sum pepples right or talk. eye am jest greatful two hav sum frends. :)

auntiemern
December 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Could not agree more Shirley. Love has no bounds, and neither does true friendship. Most of us here are of like minds and hearts. <3

auntiemern
December 7th, 2012, 04:15 AM
To funny Karen. I remember a long time ago my MIL got a massager for Christmas. She was all excited, and was telling everyone she got a vibrator. None of us had the heart to tell her the difference, lol.

Bubby
December 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Dee...That's an unfortunate name for a town! I have no room to judge...I live in Licking!!

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Hopefully that town isn't located in Maine. That could drive a lot of postal workers insane.

Madeforyouinma11
December 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM

I agree! :)

Madeforyouinma11
December 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
When I seen the title of this thread, I passed by it without even looking. I had a feeling it was not going to be good. After seeing it numerous times I decided today to read it. I stopped because I was a little angry, but I came back and finished.
I come here each day, knowing (or at least I thought I did), that this was the one place that I could go to and escape the ugliness of what is going on in the world. I come here to have fun with so many new found friends that I have really come to care for. I come here and try to share my ideas, and get ideas from all of you. I have learned so much in the short time I have been here. Not everyone thinks alike, not everyone speaks the same language, and not everyone has a college degree ( I don't). That is the beauty of this forum. We have the opportunity to share ideas, traditions, and lives from so many parts of the world with each other, and for me that is a gift. How much money I have ( or don't in my case) how big my house is, what kind of car I drive, doesn't matter here, or at least it shouldn't. It really bothered me that Lonna was hurt. I'm sure others were too and didn't make it known. I sometimes feel like her, but I just chalk it up to a bad day, but not everyone can do that. People have feelings and they shouldn't be intentionally hurt is all I'm saying.
Ok, I've ranted and rambled enough. I don't know if this post is going to make me the black sheep of the forum or not but if it does, then I guess I shouldn't have been here in the first place.

GrammaBabs
December 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Sandy... you, too funny.... May i ad that i need a new keyboard... mine has been sticking terribly and i have no patience for "backspacing"... when i know the peeps, know what i mean... gave up all "spelling stuff" and even caps and puntuation once i found this place... so many sweet and wonderful people with such positive feedback... this place is a "free for all" for fun people!!!! hugs Barbara..:icon_wave:

HandsOffItsMine
December 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM
When I seen the title of this thread, I passed by it without even looking. I had a feeling it was not going to be good. After seeing it numerous times I decided today to read it. I stopped because I was a little angry, but I came back and finished.
I come here each day, knowing (or at least I thought I did), that this was the one place that I could go to and escape the ugliness of what is going on in the world. I come here to have fun with so many new found friends that I have really come to care for. I come here and try to share my ideas, and get ideas from all of you. I have learned so much in the short time I have been here. Not everyone thinks alike, not everyone speaks the same language, and not everyone has a college degree ( I don't). That is the beauty of this forum. We have the opportunity to share ideas, traditions, and lives from so many parts of the world with each other, and for me that is a gift. How much money I have ( or don't in my case) how big my house is, what kind of car I drive, doesn't matter here, or at least it shouldn't. It really bothered me that Lonna was hurt. I'm sure others were too and didn't make it known. I sometimes feel like her, but I just chalk it up to a bad day, but not everyone can do that. People have feelings and they shouldn't be intentionally hurt is all I'm saying.
Ok, I've ranted and rambled enough. I don't know if this post is going to make me the black sheep of the forum or not but if it does, then I guess I shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Cil...you won't be the black sheep...lol It would be me!!! 'Cause I was ticked that Lonna's feeling got hurt and I said "Piss on them all!" :D I feel the same way as you that folks need to be more careful about what they say/write on this forum as they don't know peoples backgrounds.

Positive reinforcement. No Quilt Police / No Spelling or Grammar Police / No Tear Down Police

Cil, as we told Lonna, don't you go anywhere! You belong here, if others don't like it here because of spelling/grammar or how we sew/quilt...the Cyber Door can hit them on the way out! And I'm saying with cheer in my voice! :)

aliaslaceygreen
December 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I think I am willing to let a certain number of spelling errors go by on a site like this, where one is quickly responding....but it kills me how many of those Memes on FB have spelling or grammatical errors!! Someone spent the time designing and posting them, and they just show off how poorly we are educated these days, because people keep forwarding them.... ugh! No matter how funny one may be, I won't forward if it is grammatically incorrect or has spelling errors...

As to pet peeves, it's probably NOT a good idea to ask me that three weeks before Christmas when I work retail!!!

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I don't know if this post is going to make me the black sheep of the forum or not but if it does, then I guess I shouldn't have been here in the first place.

I LOVE SHEEP: BLACK, BROWN, WHITE, CREAM, YELLOW, BLUE, GREEN, RED, PURPLE, ORANGE . . .

And I love YOU!!

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Wanna know my pet peeves?

. . . .no, you don't!

Most of them involve driving on the highway, but not all . . . .

What? I'm not allowed more than one. Well smack me upside the head with a wet mop and call me a tiled floor!

MRoy
December 7th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Cil, you hit the nail square on the head! :icon_tup:

Madeforyouinma11
December 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks Ruby! I'm good and I'm not going anywhere..I had a moment but I'm over it..
Cil...you won't be the black sheep...lol It would be me!!! 'Cause I was ticked that Lonna's feeling got hurt and I said "Piss on them all!" :D I feel the same way as you that folks need to be more careful about what they say/write on this forum as they don't know peoples backgrounds.

Positive reinforcement. No Quilt Police / No Spelling or Grammar Police / No Tear Down Police

Cil, as we told Lonna, don't you go anywhere! You belong here, if others don't like it here because of spelling/grammar or how we sew/quilt...the Cyber Door can hit them on the way out! And I'm saying with cheer in my voice! :)

Madeforyouinma11
December 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I LOVE SHEEP: BLACK, BROWN, WHITE, CREAM, YELLOW, BLUE, GREEN, RED, PURPLE, ORANGE . . .

And I love YOU!!

Thanks Sandy! Somehow I knew you'd have something to say about that one!
Love ewe too!!!

Sew Perfect
December 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Wanna know my pet peeves?

. . . .no, you don't!

Most of them involve driving on the highway, but not all . . . .

What? I'm not allowed more than one. Well smack me upside the head with a wet mop and call me a tiled floor!

Hahaha! Let me guess...435? LOL

Blondie
December 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Wellsir, here I be, scooting in on my hiney at the last minute again! What an interesting bunch of friends we have here.

1. I used to be bothered by poor grammar, etc. until I had children. Now I can even understand what Buckwheat meant when he said Otay, simply because I had my Joshua.
2. I used to be bothered by typos until I realized that I can't spell as well as I could years ago. Like I said in a previous post, the 70's were reeeaallly good to me.
3. I don't choose my friends by their looks, grammar, socio economic class; I choose them for their hearts from my heart.

I think the majority of "we'uns" have lived with criticism most of our lives. I don't know about you, but, I've had so much of it, that my eyeballs were floating. I think that quilting is a great equalizer. I used to think I was inferior because I didn't know how to read and understand directions. then I realized that I could look at a picture and figure it out. I used to think that I was inferior because I don't sew super straight 1/4 inch seams. Then I realized that regardless of that, I get stuff DONE. I ain't perfect, you ain't perfect, none of us is perfect. But together we are all a perfect mess.
Play nice and smile!
ps! Crazy Mtn Lady Donna! You be my kin! We speak the same language!

HdWench
December 7th, 2012, 11:55 PM
omg (oh My Gawd), Sandy you crack me up!! as in LMAO :-) laughing my err a** off... I read more than I post because of issues. Adore reading how fun things are among you friends, really it makes me smile, get a good chuckle and makes my day.

LMAO Sandy

mandylifeboats
December 8th, 2012, 12:18 AM
how true is this:

janluna
December 8th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I am so glad for the love on this site. I think every country and region has their own way of speaking. We, as Americans, make words up all the time! That shouldn't divide us, just enrich us. I remember my sister-in -law's Mom calling England to speak to her daughter. She did not have a telephone in her room. The man who answered the phone said, " One moment. I will knock your daughter up, and let her know you wish to speak with her." We all fell on the floor as Linda's Mother turned bright red and choked!! That was too funny! We all have our colloquialisms, and misunderstandings. I find most of them hilarious, as I am sure I crack people up with the way I speak.
Pay attention to what Blondie said. She is forever right on this!
Lonna, I'm so sorry you had hurt feelings. I do know this: You are a wonderful, loving, sweet friend. Stay.
Hugs, Jan L.

lilmouse
December 8th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I love everyone on this forum....warts and all...we all have them....and I agree with Blondie and Sandy, I sure am glad I don't drink coffee when I am reading you.....my laptop couldn't survive! All of you just crack me up! I am guilty, I know proper English and how to spell, but it is easier to use some shorter terms...ie; peeps, puters, and so on....and sometimes my fingers or tongue overrun my brain and things just don't come out right...if you know what I mean....anyway love and hugs to all....everyone brings their own unique character to this site and it is richer for that!

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Oh my goodness, too many posts to respond to individually lol About place names, we have some STRANGE ones here on "Da Rock". There's Come By Chance, Blow Me Down, Conception Harbour, then three communities in a row are named Heart's Delight, Heart's Desire, and Heart's Content, Joe Batt's Arm, Cupids, Cow Head, Lawn, Leading Tickle, too many to remember lol And when I was in University I was at home with my parents on summer break and was talking to my roommate online. I told her I had to go because I had to make a trip to Isle-aux-Morts and she cracked up. She thought I was referring to the fact that I lived in a small town (that I hated) and called it "Island of the Dead" because I was bored. Nope, that's the name of the community lol I actually grew up in a community with a boring name. Burnt Islands. Ho-hum.

If I had to type the way that I talk to my Mom on the phone, you'd be trying to decipher the whole conversation lol I do have great pronunciation and enunciation and try my best to speak clearly and correctly, but when I talk to my Mom on the phone, even The Giant starts to laugh because he can't understand half of it lol See, I talks at me mudder, aye? An' den I sez sumting and gits 'er rite gone, rite? So den she's gone in da fits an I cain't git nar nudder word een! Me nerves!

:icon_giggle:

Long story short, we all fit. Doesn't even matter if your first language is English! As long as we can decipher a few words here and there, it'll do. Long may yer big jib draw! :D

Poppytree
December 8th, 2012, 04:47 AM
It bugs me when someone starts a sentence with 'so' or 'ok'........for example..'ok I started dinner and.......' Also when people shorten a word, such as 'he played fantastic'. Whats wrong with either 'he is a fantastic player' or he played fantastically'?

I am aware though of the difference between English and American English. So something that sounds wrong to me is not always so in the US or Canada. I am sad that English English is becoming more American every day I think it is important to preserve each of our languages.

As to spelling..........I am dyslexic and am guilty of poor spelling and have been all my life, I am just grateful that thanks to good teaching I am able to at least make myself understood.

After living over 60 years in England and having 'A' level in the subject - I still find some 'Americanisms' peculiar (and I'm sure our American friends feel the same about us)

My spelling is erratic, mainly because my brain works a lot quicker than my fingers and I don't have a UK spell checker on here.

I still cringe when people say something is 'darling' (sorry Jenny) as to me 'darling' is a term of endearment NOT an adjective to decribe an object and 'this is so darling' therefore is even worse! Don't get me started on apostrophes either, especially when added with an S to a word to make it plural. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc2aSz9Ficw

Rant over.

GuitarGramma
December 8th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I just want everyone to know that after my first visit to the Missouri Star Quilt Forum, I said to my husband, "Wow! What a breath of fresh air. Everyone on that quilt board has good grammar and knows how to spell."

Which, I think, qualifies as a run-on sentence!

M*QC Forum Friends are GREAT!

HandsOffItsMine
December 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I just want everyone to know that after my first visit to the Missouri Star Quilt Forum, I said to my husband, "Wow! What a breath of fresh air. Everyone on that quilt board has good grammar and knows how to spell."

See, now that is the kind of spirit we love! Welcome aboard!!

Huggers, Ruby

auntiemern
December 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
This entire post has me crying. From laughing my butt off. Still trying to figure out, why in the blue blazes, any one that is a 'regular' on here, would even post something so da*m ridiculous to begin with. The way I figure, if you want to belong to a forum where every one speaks and uses English properly, I suggest you find one that has that in their rules. Seriously, if I left everything the way I first type it, no one could make heads or tails out of anything I said. The reason for that is that my fingers are dyslexic. I spend as much time back spacing, as I do actually writing. Get over it you grammar police. We are all individuals, and most of us really love each other. This is a family. And if you don't want to be a part of the family, with all of it's idiosyncrasies, then by all means, don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine on your way out. It truly breaks my heart that some of our sisters feeling were hurt, because of something so trivial and petty. BTW, I ain't going nowhere.

Sew Perfect
December 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I just sort of figured that phonix really doesn't work that well after all. I'm constantly saying to my DH, "Honey, how do you spell this and how do you spell that? Wait...slow down and start over! " If I'm not spelling right, it means he has either told me to sound it out or he is at work.:icon_hi:

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 05:34 AM
After living over 60 years in England and having 'A' level in the subject - I still find some 'Americanisms' peculiar (and I'm sure our American friends feel the same about us)

My spelling is erratic, mainly because my brain works a lot quicker than my fingers and I don't have a UK spell checker on here.

I still cringe when people say something is 'darling' (sorry Jenny) as to me 'darling' is a term of endearment NOT an adjective to decribe an object and 'this is so darling' therefore is even worse! Don't get me started on apostrophes either, especially when added with an S to a word to make it plural. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc2aSz9Ficw

Rant over.

The "darling" thing just makes me giggle lol To me, you would call a person "darling", not a thing. Although, there is video evidence of me calling some toys "my darlings", but I was 3 and even DH isn't allowed to see that video lol And apostrophes make me giggle. Especially since my last name ends in S, it's funny to see how many people will put s's instead of s'. I do put them in the wrong place sometimes, like dont', but that's a typo that I'm too lazy to fix. I'm also very guilty of using teh, another typo that slips past me too often lol The only mistake that baffles me is "th" at the end of EVERY number. Like 22th or 31th. Twenty secondth? Thirty firth? They don't upset me, just make me use this face: :icon_stunned:

Hi, my name is Denise, and I'm addicted to run-on sentences. I use them as much as possible, and cannot avoid them no matter how many people have tried to teach me not to. I have had countless teachers try to stage an intervention, but I just cannot get away from them. I NEED them. They make my life meaningful, and help me express myself in ways that no other grammatical structure can. I will never give up run-on sentences! Never! :icon_bah:

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 05:36 AM
This entire post has me crying. From laughing my butt off. Still trying to figure out, why in the blue blazes, any one that is a 'regular' on here, would even post something so da*m ridiculous to begin with. The way I figure, if you want to belong to a forum where every one speaks and uses English properly, I suggest you find one that has that in their rules. Seriously, if I left everything the way I first type it, no one could make heads or tails out of anything I said. The reason for that is that my fingers are dyslexic. I spend as much time back spacing, as I do actually writing. Get over it you grammar police. We are all individuals, and most of us really love each other. This is a family. And if you don't want to be a part of the family, with all of it's idiosyncrasies, then by all means, don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine on your way out. It truly breaks my heart that some of our sisters feeling were hurt, because of something so trivial and petty. BTW, I ain't going nowhere.

I miss a whole bunch of posts if something is a popular topic, because I'm so busy hitting the backspace button that messages take me twice as long to type. I type 99 wpm with corrections, but I still make a LOT of mistakes. Brain and fingers don't speak the same language apparently lol

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I just sort of figured that phonix really doesn't work that well after all. I'm constantly saying to my DH, "Honey, how do you spell this and how do you spell that? Wait...slow down and start over! " If I'm not spelling right, it means he has either told me to sound it out or he is at work.:icon_hi:

First off, here's my rant. If "phonics" is supposed to be so freakin' easy, why isn't "phonics" spelled phonetically? And why is the word "abbreviation" so long? Seriously?

Sew Perfect
December 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM
First off, here's my rant. If "phonics" is supposed to be so freakin' easy, why isn't "phonics" spelled phonetically? And why is the word "abbreviation" so long? Seriously?

See? I told you it does't work! Is it fonix, phonix, phonics, or all of the above?

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM
See? I told you it does't work! Is it fonix, phonix, phonics, or all of the above?

All of the above are acceptable on here :D Although phonix might get confused with phoenix lol

madampolo
December 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I wish to apologize for starting this thread. It was never meant to be taken as it has been. I am sorry. I love this forum, and never expected or wanted to hurt anyone.

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I wish to apologize for starting this thread. It was never meant to be taken as it has been. I am sorry. I love this forum, and never expected or wanted to hurt anyone.

I personally don't think you need to apologize Joyce honey :) Your original post was written with reference to the "mistake" I pointed out in Sandy's thread about the lady who was too critical over her work. The lady had said her quilt was full of mistakes and I said that the only mistake I found on her entire page was a grammatical one lol It certainly didn't come across as hurtful or that you hated people who made mistakes, at least not to me. I read it as a general curiosity, someone wondering about grammar and looking to learn more about any spelling or grammar mistakes you may have made in the past that you didn't know you were making. So on that basis, I don't believe an apology is necessary :) And you certainly couldn't have predicted that people would have been hurt by the posts that followed your own. So no worries, at least not on my part!

countrywench
December 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
This is what irks me most about someone , anyone i meet ..
Straight away they kidnap the conversation , they moan moan moan about anything , even the weather ! Then , they get into their medical history :icon_heh: ..
I mean , i'm a stranger to them and they feel the need to tell me all the intimate details of a recent operation or where the doctors hands have been ! I really don't want to know ! LOL !
I am a very upbeat person and really dislike ' being in a mood ' , and i would never dream of being moody around anyone apart from my poor darling understanding husband ! ( he needs a medal )
I work with someone who is constantly changing moods . It's a different face every time she walks through the door . If a customer says they have a cold , she's got the flu , if someone has had a dodgy tummy , she's got food poisoning etc :icon_rolleyes:
Being around her for any length of time ' drags ' me down and i feel drained .. My mother calls these type of people ' energy vamps ' and that's exactly what they are , they steal your energy , leaving you flat ..
I know they are seeking attention but i find that in itself extremely annoying ! You will gain more friends by being positive and happy ( in my opinion )
OK That's my rant over ..
Next thread from me will be my full medical history and that of my family members :)

Blondie
December 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
You didn't hurt anyone, for goodness sakes.

Personally, since it is getting near the end of the year, it is a kinda good thing to purge the old crappola and let the light of life enter us and say Shalom!

And if anyone was truly offended by what anyone said whether they agreed or not they can sure as heckfire shoot get over their bad selves and just read threads that start with their name.

So there.
HUGS TO YOU ((((((JOYCE)))))))))))

Musical_Starling
December 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
countrywench: And isn't it funny how these conversations always happen in the worst place possible? Like on a packed bus, or a crowded cash lineup? It's not like it can even be a private, whispered conversation. Nope! If 20 people aren't listening then it ain't worth telling! lol SO happy that I no longer have to rely on public transit, because the bus "crazies" were starting to make me crazy too :icon_crazy: I'm all for being friendly, and I talk to strangers all the time about how nice the weather is today, or how the lineup seems to be moving a little slow today, or maybe they're holding a cute purse and I ask where they bought it lol But I certainly would never give out a yaffle of information that they really don't need (or want) to know!

Oh, and you tell 'em Blondie! lol

buckeyequilter
December 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I am so glad this is the first post I opened today because it has made me laugh :)

I still don't like acronym's but I don't think people are going to quit using them because of me so - happy acronyming - I'll figure it out (except for that one I still don't know what it means).

Oldquilter72
December 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I don,t text on my phone, but has any one tried to read some of the texting? Every thing about grammer has been thrown out the window. But I can still read it.

Cat n bull
December 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Joyce I was really baffled that anyone took your post to mean THIS forum in the first place! I took it to mean things we read in published print, or just the stuff we encounter out in the real world everyday.

I NEVER even once thought a message board was part of it, and KNEW it had nothing to do with this board.

aliaslaceygreen
December 8th, 2012, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=
Hi, my name is Denise, and I'm addicted to run-on sentences. I use them as much as possible, and cannot avoid them no matter how many people have tried to teach me not to. I have had countless teachers try to stage an intervention, but I just cannot get away from them. I NEED them. They make my life meaningful, and help me express myself in ways that no other grammatical structure can. I will never give up run-on sentences! Never! :icon_bah:[/QUOTE]

..and I to ellipses... I THINK (here I go, assuming)..... that this post had NEVER been aimed at anyone on this board. Because surely we all mistype or ignore those lovely little red lines under our words on occasion.

However, there is a time and a place for loosely defined language, and a time and place for more structured and 'correct' usage.

I receive memos and documents at work that make me want to find a red pen. These are official communications within the company, not a brief note to someone on a quilt forum. In one document one time the word "received" was spelled three ways. Two incorrect, but different ways, and once, correctly....along with many other errors .... THAT is a pet peeve worthy situation. You make the company look like a bunch of uneducated, non-detail oriented idiots.

Someone else said that news articles that choose not to identify acronyms makes them crazy. Let me raise you one. News articles on line that NEVER mention city or state in the byline or article. How many times are you led to an article that makes casual mention of location, and their paper's name is generic, like the Star-Ledger. And you have to read and re-read, and pop around the ads, to figure out exactly WHERE this news occurred? ARGH.... Yes, in the olden days, you picked up the paper in the town it was made, so you read only local news...but if you want a presence online, you really should add in the town and state someplace. Vent over.

So. I don't believe for a moment that the OP meant to call anyone out here. I am sure she was just expressing a general purpose GROWL about REAL LIFE. In a situation like THIS, (our pretend world) here at the forum, I assume that one's fingers were doing one thing, and one's mind another.

Sandy Navas
December 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cna yuo raed tihs? if yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulatcly uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Azanmig hhu? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Qoestuin -
Can thsi be doen in ohter lnagugues? Snapsih, Fenrch, Iatilan, Gerek, Rissuan. Chenise, Jaapense, Herbew, Aaribc?

Carolyn23
December 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Oh my grief, Sandy! That was an awesome post! I had absolutely no problem reading that. Scary, huh?

Lonna
December 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
First off I would like to apologize to Joyce. You have no reason to apologize for starting this thread everyone is allowed their pet peeves. This is what makes us who we are. I should have just walked or turned away from this thread instead of responding. Just a little about why I responded normally I would not have said a word and done just that. Walked away but I have been bottling up emotions and feels for way to long now. For about 30 years now I have done just that and they are now over flowing. This past year has been a rough one for Wayne and me. I don’t let my emotions show in front of Wayne as he has way too much on his plate at this time. I guess this was the straw that broke this camel’s back. It was kind of like when you go to church and you feel like the preacher is preaching just at you even though you know he is not. I just felt as if my toes were being stepped on. On that note, Joyce I am sorry and please except my heartfelt apologize.
To everyone else thank you so much for your kindness. I never wanted to start turmoil here on this forum. As this is a very wonderful and loving family. Each and every one of us belongs here and we are all needed here.

New York Sue
December 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cna yuo raed tihs? if yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulatcly uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Azanmig hhu? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Qoestuin -
Can thsi be doen in ohter lnagugues? Snapsih, Fenrch, Iatilan, Gerek, Rissuan. Chenise, Jaapense, Herbew, Aaribc?

PRICELESS! Can we move on, now?
Can I declare this thread DEAD?
I have a history of dropping threads on this forum. PLEASE let it happen once more! ;)

janluna
December 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hear! Hear!!! LOL

HandsOffItsMine
December 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
First off I would like to apologize to Joyce. You have no reason to apologize for starting this thread everyone is allowed their pet peeves. This is what makes us who we are. I should have just walked or turned away from this thread instead of responding. Just a little about why I responded normally I would not have said a word and done just that. Walked away but I have been bottling up emotions and feels for way to long now. For about 30 years now I have done just that and they are now over flowing. This past year has been a rough one for Wayne and me. I don’t let my emotions show in front of Wayne as he has way too much on his plate at this time. I guess this was the straw that broke this camel’s back. It was kind of like when you go to church and you feel like the preacher is preaching just at you even though you know he is not. I just felt as if my toes were being stepped on. On that note, Joyce I am sorry and please except my heartfelt apologize.
To everyone else thank you so much for your kindness. I never wanted to start turmoil here on this forum. As this is a very wonderful and loving family. Each and every one of us belongs here and we are all needed here.

Lonna, it's nice that you apologized to Joyce. However, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for! You were just brave enough to be the first one to speak up and defend yourself, (((dear friend)))

Love you and Wayne! Ruby and Don

PS Now the thread is Dead!

countrywench
December 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I think they call that queefing over here.

I wonder if Al will ban me ...

Puggerfupp is another name for that , that makes me howl with laughter ! :D

countrywench
December 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Lets have HUGE group hug , open a few bottles of wine and raise a glass to a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS !

And may we all find lots of parcels of Fat Quarters in our stockings ( now there's a sentence i never thought i'd hear :icon_whistle: )

Poppytree
December 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.

So, spelling and grammar are not that important if we can understand each other and enjoy this fabulous forum!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

PS
I don't mind admitting I suffer from Typoglycemia!

the phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiatrely cllaed Typoglycemia :)- Mbaye taht's why FCUK T-srihts are so cmoomn?
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and you awlyas thguoht slpeling was ipmorantt.

Musical_Starling
December 9th, 2012, 08:28 AM
lol Not to revive the thread yet again, but the FCUK shirts, while may be purchased because someone thinks they're a swear word, are actually a brand name; French Connection UK. I used to have a bottle of their perfume, it was called "FCUK her" lol

Now, this thread is OFFICIALLY dead!

Dearly beloved, we gather here today to celebrate the life of this thread. Please remember the good posts, and keep them in your heart forever. Rest in peace thread, it's off to thread heaven with you...

Now for the final scripture reading.

The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want...

*Insert "Funeral March" by Chopin here*

SuziC
December 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I try not to sweat the small stuff and save my anger for the really BIG situations.

SallyO'Sews
December 10th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Oh, dear. My children have long referred to me as the Grammar Nag. I will just say that I cannot help correcting their grammar, since it is a genetic defect: one of my earliest childhood memories is of my mother making me repeat requests using correct grammar. For example, "Mom, can me and Mary go outside?" was always met with "MAY Mary and I go outside?" My college degree required 2 semesters each of French, Italian, and German, and I spent 10 years as an elementary school teacher, so I do appreciate correct spelling, grammar, and syntax. That said, I only correct my children and grandchildren; not my children-in-law, my husband, or my co-workers. And I have a friend who is a journalism teacher and an editor, so if I have questions, I usually will ask him.