PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Batting?

GuitarGramma
December 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I recently posted about my disaster with trying to preshrink batting (I accidently agitated it for full cycle), which kicked off a great discussion about batting in general.

So what's your favorite batting, and why?

Also thought I'd share this PDF analysis of batting. It is SO thorough:
http://www.villagequiltworks.com/image_info/UltimateBattingChart.pdf

Happy Quilting!

SuziC
December 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I always use Warm and Natural. I like the weight and the way it adheres to the fabric makes quilting so much easier.

K. McEuen
December 6th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Warm and White here.

snippet
December 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I've used Cream Rose before with good results. I needed some more batting but they were out of Cream Rose, so I bought an 80/20 blend

lilmouse
December 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I normally use warm and natural or warm and white but when doing the primitive perle cotton hand sewing it doesn't work too well, very hard on the wrists as it is so dense, so I am going to try the Cream Rose....have some that I recently bought at half price or with a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's.

Cat n bull
December 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
What a great batting chart! Thanks for sharing.

So far my favorite batting is Luna by Moda, their Kyoto bamboo/cotton. I have only made quilts for using, none for wall hangings (and certainly not for showing!) The kyoto is super soft and drapes so nicely.

I have used warm and natural, and it is VERY nice, but the finished quilt is stiffer, not as cuddly. It is nicer to work with though. The kyoto gets linty-fuzz EVERYWHERE while you are quilting! It does all wash out however, and the finished quilt is what I care about most.

I just used Quilter's Dream Puff for a quilt for my grandson, and I really loved it too. Super easy to work with and the finished quilt has the NEATEST feel to it. You can't iron it though! I used a Frixion pen to mark one area, and when I ironed the marks off I melted the batting! :icon_doh: I will definitely be using it again, especially for children's quilts.

I just bought some Quilter's Dream Orient, and WOW oh WOW is it SOFT!! I can not wait to use it!

I plan on trying Luna's Soy Soft also. I have read some great reviews on it.

GuitarGramma
December 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm glad you liked the chart. I saw one of the writers explain in a video the extensive testing they did, sandwiching all those different battings in between both a light and a dark fabric, washing, evaluating, washing again, evaluating again. She is a true fabric scientist! I just saw that her quilt shop closed -- I hope it's because she's touring with her batting sandwiches or some other good reason. I hate seeing someone go out of business because of economics.

Bubby
December 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Warm & Natural all the way for me.

Momofmonsters5
December 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Warm and natural is my choice! Question about the one that melted with the iron...does it melt in the dryer too? You know how sometimes you over dry in the dryer. Just curious!

Cat n bull
December 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Warm and natural is my choice! Question about the one that melted with the iron...does it melt in the dryer too? You know how sometimes you over dry in the dryer. Just curious!

No, it didn't melt in the dryer. I used a HOT iron to remove the pen lines, and the fluffy batting squished down to a THIN crisp piece! I was so upset. It did fluff a bit more once it was washed and dried, but that one spot is noticeably stiffer than the rest of the quilt.

The quilt is awesome though! I posted some pictures of it, my grandson's monster quilt. It's hard to describe the feel of it, but it is LOVELY and soft and cuddly and very warm. My family likes their quilts/blankets to be VERY soft, so I always use fleece on the backs and super soft batting. I will definitely be using the Dream Puff again for kids quilts. Just not with a Frixion pen. :-)