PDA

View Full Version : Last Day of My Teaching Career

Jean Sewing Machine
December 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before I started teaching full time. Went to college art time then full time to get my degree, then started my teaching career in 1986. Today is the last official class day, not counting exam day. Wow, it's been a wild ride for the past 26 years. Time to shut it down. Do the math, I'm ancient!

Lonna
December 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I am wishing you nothing put pleasant days ahead and remember we are only as old as we feel. Enjoy your "me" time now you earned it.

Blondie
December 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
]You aren't ancient - just aged to perfection.
I bet this is a bittersweet moment; think of all the jelly rolls waiting for you!
Big hugs and lotsa love to you!

I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before I started teaching full time. Went to college art time then full time to get my degree, then started my teaching career in 1986. Today is the last official class day, not counting exam day. Wow, it's been a wild ride for the past 26 years. Time to shut it down. Do the math, I'm ancient!

RiverMomm
December 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM
((((((((((((hugs))))))))). A special day filled with memories. But new memories are waiting for you.

Personally, I can't wait! I want to see your new quilts, bowls and other goodies. After seeing a new quilt almost daily this past summer, I have been going through a little bit of Jelly Roll Queen withdrawal when you don't post.

Lisapc
December 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
You deserve all the time off you have earned. You will now be able to dive into your creativity with abandon. You are a very talented women and have given a special gift to all of the students since 1986. Thank you for helping to shape so many young minds.

Monique
December 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Now Jean, you will have all the time in the world to make great creations. Happy retirement. You so deserve it.

CrazyMtnLady
December 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Congratulations. Just think how the work out your sewing machine and LQ are going to be getting!

meemeecyn
December 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Congratulations, Jean. A door closes, a window opens. Now it is time for YOU!
Cynthia

Cathy F
December 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Jean, I'm wishing you a happy retirement and many leaisurely days to quilt or do what your heart desires.

LynneLeavell
December 6th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Congratulations Jean. May you enjoy the next chapter of your life.

MayinJerset
December 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Jean, Happy Retirement. Us 'ancient' gals have a lot more sewing and enjoyment of life coming our way so Enjoy!

New York Sue
December 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Congratulations, Jean! You got OUT ALIVE! The saddest thing for me is when I see someone never get an opportunity to reap the benefits of their many years of working! You MADE IT! WOOHOO!
And you'll always have students here on the Forum! You're always 'Johnny on the Spot' whenever anyone here has a problem!
You get a DO-OVER at 70 years of age. How cool is that?!
My VERY BEST to you! ;)

nana margaret
December 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Wishing you a very happy retirement, not ancient just mature! :)

CountryHut
December 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Happy Happy Retirement Jean --

just think - in a few months when your busy with sewing and quilting - you're going to sit there and say to yourself . ..

Self -- how in the world did I have time to go to work . . *which BTW is a 4 letter dirty word ending in K*~

wishing you many many MANY years of creativity

Diane :)

sewbizzy
December 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Congratulations Jean...time for more and more sewing----enjoy!!!

grannyann
December 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Wishing you a very happy and healthy retirement . Enjoy.

Quiltlover
December 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Enjoy! You can sleep in some now.

Brenda

EsGrandma
December 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Congratulations!!! I loved teaching, but I love, love, love retirement!! A new world awaits you and the world needs your joyful creativity!

WendyI
December 6th, 2012, 11:57 AM
That is an AWESOME accomplishment! Especially trying to teach the spoiled rotten, self-deserving thinking kids of today....not that all kids are like that but I give teachers a lot of credit!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Just THINK of all the fun you are going to have!!! OMG I can hardly WAIT to retire!! Only 18 more years...uhg.

cherokeerose
December 6th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Congratulations Jean. Enjoy your "me" time. I can't wait to see all your new creations.

GrammaBabs
December 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Ditto everyone above... be prepared or some huge goodbyes and perhaps a party... my last day floored me... you will deserve every "well wish" you get.... You "teaching days" are not over i'm sure... with all the help you are so ready to give us all here and the many new adventures you'll be on,,, you will begin to wonder when you had time to work????
All the best Jean, you deserve it!!!! As for old.... hehehehehe,,,, that's the number that comes up when we count from our first day... some times are long, some are short,,, but all are blessed when you share... hugs, B
ps, can't imagine what you'll be getting done when you don't "work"every day!!!! yikes..:)

GuitarGramma
December 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Congratulations, Jean! As busy and productive as you are sewing and quilting, how did you ever find time to teach full time? :-) I wish you many wonderful years in this new stage of life.

Claire Hallman
December 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
It will amaze you how quickly your days fill up and how much fun you will have. Congratulations on a career well spent. Looking forward to seeing what beautiful things you do from now on.

Sandy Navas
December 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Here's to Jean - our Quilting Machine - who will wonder from here on out just how she EVER found time to work. Enjoy your new life, relax and don't let anything get in your way!!

Bubby
December 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
You are going to LOVE retirement...never a dull moment when you're a quilter. Congratulations, Jean!!!! I'm sure you were a fab teacher and principal!!! Wishing you nothing but the best....Hugs, Barb

Carolyn23
December 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Bittersweet day! May God grant you good health and much joy as you look forward to the days ahead. We're excited to see your creations! Now that you're free, why don't you come to Chicago for a visit. We have tons of quilt shops and lots of fun stuff to do. We could get into lots of trouble together!

Divine Daisy
December 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM
ahhhhhh the time for your World Tour approaches! Don't forget, Wuthering Heights is on your list!

Now put up your feet and slob out for a while! I know there will be mixed emotions, but I find that the odd voluntry stint reminds me why I am glad that I can chose to give some time rather than clock watching and stress!

auntiemern
December 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I know my DF, that today will be an emotional roller coaster for you. You have done a wonderful service for so many young people over the years. Knowing you, I am quite certain, that you have left your wonderful mark on hundreds of students. Don't think of this as an ending, but a bright new beginning. Step back, take a breath, and remember all of those kids whose lives you enriched. Now, onward and upward to new beginnings. ((((Jean)))

Madeforyouinma11
December 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Congratulations Jean! Here is wishing you a wonderful retirement filled with fabric and a whole new world of possibilities!

SuziC
December 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
You're not ancient.....just experienced LOL

Klasien
December 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Congratulations Jean!!!

I wish you a lot of good health and joy, and of course lots and lots of happy sewing time for this new episode in your life!!!!

(((HUGS)))

K. McEuen
December 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Oh, I envy you. Have fun in your retirement. You'll probably be busier than you were when you were working.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM
THanks, everyone! Some of my students were making me glad of my decision, others made me sad about it. I hate not seeing my coleagues on a daily basis, they are great friends!

Tanya D
December 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Congratulations Jean! Enjoy!!!

shannonsaulter
December 6th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Jean congrats!!!! I am sure there are people like me who still talk about teachers they have had..You have made a difference...be proud enjoy your retirement and TY!

Genny
December 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM

I'm sure you have mixed feelings about today and will miss your teaching career but now you have all the time you want to do more quilting and as we've all seen on here "YOU DO BEAUTIFUL QUILTING"! Congrats on a career well done!

HandsOffItsMine
December 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Congrats Dear Friend! You're like a fine aged wine...perfectly well rounded. ;)

Enjoy yourself, get up when you want, go to bed when you want, stay in your pjs all day if you want!

It's a new beginning! The 2'x50', 150' up lanai is always ready for you! :D

Huggers, Ruby

lilmouse
December 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I agree you are going to be on a roller coaster for a little while and your life will slowly or not so slowly (knowing you) will fill up and you will be wondering; how did I ever manage to work and do all of this too! I wish you the very best...sending hugs and affection your way today!

Jess1377
December 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Congrats Jean! I know you will make the best of it & I cant wait to see all the lovely creations you will be able to make in your free time! :)

Cat n bull
December 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Congratulations for a long career and a well deserved retirement!

:icon_tup:

NanaB
December 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Jean, I wish you many happy days of sewing, quilting, and (hopefully) teaching class at your LQS. With your experience in the classroom and at the machine(s), you will be an asset that any quilt shop will treasure. Look forward to seeing your 'retirement' posts.

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Yay! Happy Retirement!! I'm sure that they will all miss you as much as you'll miss them. And don't think of yourself as old, because you're simply experienced :D You'll always have students here that are willing to learn (AND behave... Well, most of the time anyway lol).

Jean Sewing Machine
December 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Yay! Happy Retirement!! I'm sure that they will all miss you as much as you'll miss them. And don't think of yourself as old, because you're simply experienced :D You'll always have students here that are willing to learn (AND behave... Well, most of the time anyway lol).
Just do your homework! And don't wait til the last day to turn it in. As my students did today!

Musical_Starling
December 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Just do your homework! And don't wait til the last day to turn it in. As my students did today!

I remember a lot of students never turning their work in when I was in school lol And now they have a rule that you cannot give students a grade of 0, even when they deserve it. Nonsense! Be thankful you're getting out while you can before the rules get worse lol

RFREE
December 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Congratulations on your retirement Jean. More time to sleep in and make lots of quilts and baskets! YOU GO GIRL!

MRoy
December 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Congratulations Jean! I'm sure it's probably bittersweet. I look forward to retiring next August but I'll miss the people that I work with (most of them anyway). And you're not ancient! You're like fine wine that gets better with age! I can imagine the sewing machine and long arm machine smoking trying to keep up with you!

buckeyequilter
December 6th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement.