PDA

View Full Version : Motivation needed

shannonsaulter
December 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Ok so most of you probably didnt know I am a smoker..Yep a bad habit that I have tried quitting and picked up again in 2001 after having quit for 8 yrs when I was going through my divirce with my 1st husband..I wannt/need to quit unlike the last time I quit I am not pregnant..I tried a few times and failed... I know its bad for me but I also enjoy it...looking for any help motivation or encouragement to try to quit again... My biggest fear is the weight gain...After being 460lbs and getting down to 210lbs I do not want to pack the weight back on...
Any help is appreciated...

K. McEuen
December 5th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not a smoker, but wish you the best of luck. My oldest sister has been a smoker forever. She's trying to quit by using one of those smokeless things. I guess they work kind of like the patch, more nicotine at first and then less and less as you go. So far it seems to be helping (at least from what she says) plus it helps with the oral fixation too.

grannyann
December 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
use to be a smoker years and years ago. Then one day I could not breath so I got into see my doctor and he said I had Asthma.
I asked him if he was sure because I had bronchitis in the past.He said it was asthma and I needed to quit smoking. I had such a hard time breathing that day it scared me to death. So I went home threw away what I had left in the pack and didn't touch one again. It was hard because my husband was a smoker and till is
but not in the house or in front of me. I chose to give it up because I wanted to quit and be able to breath.I just did it cold turkey .But if you trully enjoy it so much I am afraid you won't quit until there is a very serious problem.
It is just something you have to decide for your self. I quit hounding my husband about quitting because he just won't no matter how sick he gets
and can't breath himself .Believe me his breathing problems are ten times worst then mine. He will quit until he feels better then he is right back at it.
I wish you luck but it has to be you choice.Keep us posted.

Deneldac00p
December 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Being an ex smoker, I know what you are going through. I can't count the number of times I quit and the best advice I ever got was not to quit quitting!! It will work one time. My doctor helped me with a prescription for welbutron (spelling) and I haven`t had even a puff since then and it is coming up to eleven years. I made it through the death of my son and my husband and I am now facing possible major surgery and I have no desire what so ever to pick up a cigarette. I hope and pray that it continues this way. I wish you luck but you really have to want it.

Sew Perfect
December 5th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm not a smoker either, though tried it for about a week or so when I turned 30 and decided I didn't like it at all. My parents smoked for years and both quit. My mother said she made the decision and then it was easy for her. Dad quit when the Dr. told him to. Mom didn't gain weight, but then again, she just snacks throughout the day, and drinks tea.

SuziC
December 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I understand completely! I too am one of "those people". I tried to quilt 6 mos ago and did good for 6 days with the patch. But like many others, i too gave in. Now my New Years thing is to try it again. I am with you all the way. It is the HARDEST thing to kick. The one thing that helped me was drinking water every time i wanted one. They say you have to replace one habit with another so i thought drinking water is good for you and it worked for 6 days. My Best thoughts are with you!!!!

auntiemern
December 5th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Can't help you with this one. I to am a smoker. I quit for about a year, 10 yrs ago, but never lost the desire, and did gain a significant amount of weight. I enjoy it. I know it isn't good for me, especially with some of the health issues I have. Not making excuses, but that is the only vice I have. I don't drink, or over eat, or intentionally do anything else that I know is bad for my body. That being said, you have to have a real desire to quit, or nothing you do is going to help. It must be something within you, that gives you the desire and strength to quit on your own.

Lisapc
December 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I smoke. I quit last January first. About a month or so later I was stuck in my bosses car, at a bad meeting and then stuck in the car for over 2 hours with her chain smoking. I started again. I am hoping to give it another try after the first of the year.

Monique
December 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I quit going on almost 5 years ago. I used the patch for about three weeks and then gave that up. Haven't touched it since and have no desire. I did gain weight, but I would suggest even going for a walk every day will benefit you. I replaced my 'smoking hand' when I was on the computer with a cup of coffee and the mouse in the other hand. Keep your hands busy. Ultimately, it is your decision to make.

Nursmate2
December 5th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I am a former smoker as is my darling daughter. A very good friend of our's mother died of lung cancer. It hit a little to close to home for both of us. She took up running and eating healthy. I started quilting again after a 10 year break. Most days I don't want to smoke but there are those day. I think like any other addiction you fight it your whole life. Good luck and know we are here to support you on those not so easy days.

MayinJerset
December 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM
DH was a 2 pack a day smoker since his teens and never wanted to quit. I can't say what finally motivated him to join Smoker Enders but he followed their little tricks and quit about 25 years ago. I was about a 2 packs a week smoker and used to pick up his opened packs that had about 10 ciggies in them so i always had fresh ones. After he quit a pack lasted me so long that they were stale when I got to the last few and that upset my stomach so I ended up quitting too. Hope you find the right method to help you, Good Luck. May in Jersey

Catlover29
December 6th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I know how you feel, I am an ex smoker of 7 years now, and I feel great. For me the motivation is that it's expensive and also the health impact as well. I am also to the point now that I can't stand cigarette smoke. And yes it is true that you will only quit when you really want to. For me the patch worked well, and I was only on it for 2 weeks and after I was fine. Good luck and I hope that this time you are able to kick it for good.