PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machines

SuzyQue
December 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Ok-----so the Grinch has attacked my washer in the night ! It leaks, it puddles, it stinks, it is beginning to rust on the front. It is about 8-9 years old, an LG front loader, and it has done tons of washing for our family. My hubby thought he might be able to fix it for about $300....maybe. Now he is thinking about replacing it. We thought we would bite the bullet and do another front loader, till we saw the newest thing.......a top loader that is almost as efficient and it spins out as fast and dry. No leaking, no smells, no rust, (for now anyway). The problem is it will totally not match and my laundry is in the end of my main floor bathroom....so very visible! We can't justify replacing the dryer as we just replaced the stainless steel drum this past summer, so..........................My question.........what type of machine do you own/use and do you love it???? Does anyone have these newer top loaders that are super efficient? HELP! We need to order by tomorrow to get delivery in time prior to the Christmas season and company here! There is a $75 discount now, too. Please advise!!!! SuzyQue

GinnyKNC
December 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have the LG Front Loader and will not go back to a top loader. My quilts fit so nice into the front loaders :) And these days, 8/9 years is pretty good.

K. McEuen
December 4th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I have had a Kenmore top load HE machine. No agitator, clothes get clean, most are almost dry when the cycle is done. That thing spins like crazy and other than all the little electronic bells, beeps and whistles when it's finished it's really quiet. It washed everything from delicates to large quilts just fine and I don't have to worry about the mildew/mold that you sometimes get with a front loader because it has to seal so well.

madampolo
December 4th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I have one of the cheapest Kenmore top loaders that only has the basics on it. I had to drag my husband away from those fancy front-end loaders. I need to stoop to use the dryer, and I hate to need to stoop to load a washer. The new ones do sit up higher, and my step-daughter stacked her full size front end loading machines to save space. I just don't need anything fancy. My lap quilts wash in it fine. If I have to wash the king comforter, I go to the laundromat and use their big five-load machines. Since your dryer has a stainless steel drum, I know your set must have been of high quality when you bought it. It may be worth repairing it, except for the rust.

Sandy Navas
December 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Wish I could help but I'll stick to my 'old-fashioned' top-loader low-efficiency MAYTAG that needs no repairs . . .

DD had a front-loader and was so anxious to replace it - it smelled, took forever to do a single load - smelled!!!! Horrible machine (don't recall manufacturer. She now has a top-loading high -efficiency (also don't know manufacturer) and she really loves it - but it is definitely noisy and as Karen said - there are all kinds of bells, whistles, ding-dongs, noise makers - it drives me up the wall. I'd go back to an old wringer with rinse tubs and a clothesline if I had my choice . . .

Claire Hallman
December 4th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader with no agitator. I DO NOT LIKE IT. I don't feel like it gets clothes as clean as my agitator one did. I do not like that I can't open the top once it starts working without turning it off and waiting a min or two. I see why you might need a lock on the front loader but not a top loader.:(

toggpine
December 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
We have a Kenmore top-load HE. It's going into it's third year here. We did not go with all of the electronic gizmos and LCD screens. It has a dial for water temp, fabric softener, extra rinse, stain buster/soil level, and type of load. I had to print out the page with all of the settings and stick it on the side of the freezer.
It uses 2 tablespoons of non-HE powdered laundry soap per load (1 Costco bucket/year). (Sears guy says it's fine to use normal soap, just lots less of it.)
It takes most things I have put in it. I have had trouble with it getting off balance with the queen & king sized micro-fleece blankets no matter how carefully I load them in. Once I can re-distribute the load, it usually does fine.
I hate that it locks the lid and I have to stop the cycle to unlock it. (See above for why this would be annoying.)
The washer sounds a lot like our bread machine when it's running. The water draining is as loud as before, and then there is the loud clunk when it locks & unlocks the lid.

According to the Sears guy, if you wash a load of clothes with bleach at least once a week (whites anyone?) and leave the door slightly ajar (front-loaders), your washer shouldn't smell, front-load or what ever. I didn't completely trust him on that one. I thought we could keep the extra few hundred dollars and bout the top-load instead. It also kept hubby from having to build a pedestal to put them on since I wasn't in the mood to crawl around on the floor to do my laundry either. I was not going to pay that ridiculous amount of money for the ones they had at the store.

As for you machine not matching the other one, make a slip cover and hold it on with magnets sewn in to little pockets, those little command hooks through button holes, or stick-um velcro.

Best wishes for a clean Christmas!

auntiemern
December 4th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Am perfectly happy with my old fashioned Maytag. It does everything I need it to do. Any way, could you hang a curtain or put in bi fold doors to keep them behind.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 4th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Have mid priced Kenmore front loader. Works great 6 years old. But it does smell, and because my laundry room is narrow and is the passage way to the garage, I can't leave the door open. Washing machine cleaner does help.

Bought a top loader Fischer and Paykel for my daughter, don't get one, they had a huge repair bill and it is only 3 years old.

buckeyequilter
December 4th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I had a new Maytag with all the bells and whistles (looked like a spaceship in the dark) that was energy effecient....no agitator in the middle, top loading. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. We had it repaired while it was under warranty a couple of times then bought another warranty (expenisve) then it had to be repaired some more....they practically rebuilt it (new drum and the whole bit). I told DH I wasn't buying another warranty because I'd just go buy a cheap machine and when it breaks we'll buy another and take us 15 years or more to catch up to the money we threw at that Maytag.

I now have a GE energy efficient with an agitator, top loading....love it.

grannyann
December 5th, 2012, 12:12 AM
My daugter had a front load washer and twice had to have the door seals replaced and it took forever to do a load so she sold it and went back to the old fashion top loader.I am having my top loader repaied tomorrow and when the repair came to see what was wrong with it he suggested I get a front loader.I said no way I will pay the cost for you to fix what I have.But my other daughter has used the front loader for years. It cost a lot of money to fix those things but she likes them because she can get her queen bed covers in it.I like my top loader just fine.

Sewbee
December 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM
In 40 years of marriage I have owned 2 sets of washers and dryers. Both sets were Kenmore top loaders, near the line's higher quality range. Kept the first set for 16 years and then gave it to my sister who used it for several more. I bought our current set in 1989 when we built our house. I have never had a repair call on this set, even though at 23 years old it does now have some mildly annoying eccentricities! I plan to replace this set soon with another top loader, and will most likely stick with the Kenmore brand. I have no desire for a front loader and know my back would not like it either. An elevated front loader would not fit beneath my current laundry room cabinets anyway! :)

Jean Sewing Machine
December 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I had a new Maytag with all the bells and whistles (looked like a spaceship in the dark) that was energy effecient....no agitator in the middle, top loading. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. We had it repaired while it was under warranty a couple of times then bought another warranty (expenisve) then it had to be repaired some more....they practically rebuilt it (new drum and the whole bit). I told DH I wasn't buying another warranty because I'd just go buy a cheap machine and when it breaks we'll buy another and take us 15 years or more to catch up to the money we threw at that Maytag.

I now have a GE energy efficient with an agitator, top loading....love it.They are not the reliable machines they once were. Had my first pair for 23 years, second pair for almost that long, gave them to one of my kids for their first machines. My neighbor has had the same problem you had, had the machine rebuilt several times during the first years she owned it. The repairmen were at their house A LOT!

SuzyQue
December 5th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Thank you everyone for your sage wisdom and advice! I have been researching and reading all about several machines this evening. I loved my front loader when we first bought it! It was fast, uses less water and electricity, fast cycles, fun to watch (glass door), quiet, etc. Over time the odor started. I wash my whites with bleach and that did help, but there was no way to keep the door open and that would have been helpful. With a top loader, I could leave it open. I didn't have many issues with the leakage around the door, but you do have to be diligent about wiping down the seals. We had issues with puddles under the machine....then musty smells in the room because you can't get under the machine to wipe it dry. Now it only puddles when I use the bleach......so after ruining some bathroom rugs, I have my rugs moved away from the puddle areas....which looks odd! I can't add a pedestal because we have oak cabinets above the machines and not enough space for the extra height., so I do have to bend a lot to load the machine! I have trouble getting the king sized mattress pads in the tub. I loved my old Maytag........but I do like the efficiency and water savings of the HE.
Ginny----for the price, I was hoping for more than 8-9 years, but you are right....nothing lasts very long any more!!
Karen---thanks for the input.....was worried that without an agitator it might not clean well
Joyce---I don't need any thing fancy either----still considering the repair----just hate to spend the $ and it still leak
Claire---I questioned the lock on the top loader, too......but most machines have them now......so kids don't fall in????? The salesman said it had to do with how fast it spins????
Toggpine---the cover is a good idea...but what won't match can't be covered in that way. The top loader has the controls on a raised panel on the back where as the front loading dryer would have the controls on the front , thus flat on the top. I have a shelf with a collection of washboards behind the washer and dryer now (and the shelf controls what can't fall behind the machines)......hubby would have to modify or take down the shelf with the extended top on the washer now.......urgh!
Marilyn---the room configuration won't allow a curtain nor a set of doors.....there is a window in the way.......great thought.....just not suitable.....I guess I am being picky!!! I just like the look of the matching set.......that sounds so snobby........it just is very visible to everyone that uses that rest room.
Jean----thanks for the heads up on the repair bill on the F and P! will avoid that brand!
Shirley---I had heard there were so issues with the newer Maytags.....not always made by Maytag or something.......I loved my original Maytag. Still pondering the no agitator HE top loader now, but the tub is huge without the agitator. I can't imagine how much it has to rock, roll, and spin to get laundry clean without an agitator!
So many things to consider! I hate change in appliances!!! Thanks for your inputs!!!

dwil23
December 5th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Wish I could help but I'll stick to my 'old-fashioned' top-loader low-efficiency MAYTAG that needs no repairs . . .

DD had a front-loader and was so anxious to replace it - it smelled, took forever to do a single load - smelled!!!! Horrible machine (don't recall manufacturer. She now has a top-loading high -efficiency (also don't know manufacturer) and she really loves it - but it is definitely noisy and as Karen said - there are all kinds of bells, whistles, ding-dongs, noise makers - it drives me up the wall. I'd go back to an old wringer with rinse tubs and a clothesline if I had my choice . . .

I'm with you Sandy! I am so thankful I still have my old Maytag in storage while I'm living with my sister. She (we) have been through two machines in the past four years and the new ones are awful! The first was a top loader that had all the mildew issues, broke down often and didn't hold much (Whirlpool, I think). Now we have a top loader with a short agitator. The tub is HUGE! Problem is, the water level isn't. It will only fill up to about 6" of water ("water efficient"). So, no matter how large the tub is, you can only put a small amount of clothes in if you want them to actually agitate IN the water. And now, the electronic buttons seem to be malfunctioning as well. I LOVE my old inefficient Maytag that will fill to the top of the tub if I want it to. And to think, I nearly left it with the house!

shannonsaulter
December 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I have reg old GE top loader washer its 6 yrs old never had an issue with it were at home depot for like 400 each

K. McEuen
December 5th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Still pondering the no agitator HE top loader now, but the tub is huge without the agitator. I can't imagine how much it has to rock, roll, and spin to get laundry clean without an agitator!

A lot of their cleaning power comes from the water intake. It doesn't fill the tub with water, jets of water stream in at different times from different directions. Hehe, sort of like a waterpic for your clothes.

As for the locks on toploaders, my old regular top lad machines had lid locks as well. Took a couple minutes to be able to get into those too. My daughter hasn't injured or killed this machine by stuffing too many clothes in at once. She was the cause of the death of the last two regular machines I owned.