PDA

View Full Version : What is a block swap?

Pat Miller
October 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I see different ones talking about block swap, but I am so new, I don't know how a block swap works. Can someone tell me?
Pat

jrchapman
October 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
We've had two block swaps on here; the first one we had 12 people so we each made 12 blocks in a floral fabric and sent 11 of them to Suzi in Florida. She then posted us one of each blocks back so that we had 12 gorgeously different blocks.

For the Christmas block swap we're doing at the moment; we're doing a similar thing but making 2 blocks for each person - a light background and a dark background. We should be posting them to Suzi again on 1 November and then jiggling around excitedly until all the different blocks come back.

Hope that helps, I'm sure we'll be doing another one soon if you want to join in!

Pat Miller
October 25th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I don't think I am ready for this project just yet. Maybe by next Christmas. I love the Christmas star.
I have started a baby quilt for a new grandson coming next month. It is Trip Around the World in pastels. I'll post it if I ever finish it. I'm having to learn how to cut carefully. Boy, those rotary cutters can have a mind of their own, if you are not careful.
Again thanks for the explanation
Pat

sally
October 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Pat don't be put off because you don't think you are ready. Several of us are very newbies and did this exchange and it is SO worth it. I have a new bunch of quilt sisters and I couldn't be more blessed. It is fun and educational at the same time! There is talk of a new one in the New Year so really think about joining us!

jrchapman
October 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I know what you mean about the rotary cutter having a life of their own. I cut a lot of wonky strips and lost the tips of 2 of my fingers before I got the hang of it!

craftyladysam
October 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
That's why I like the precuts!!!! That cutter just doesn't cut straight for me. LOL Even Jenny has trouble sometimes on her tuts. Can't wait for the new block swap. Maybe in January after the Holiday. Alot of us are newbies thats what so nice and nooooooo quilt police on this site! Right girls?

newbiequilter
October 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Oh, JR, OUCH!! :icon_eek:

Lola2Ace
October 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Saundra is so right, no quilt police and it's a great way to learn. It was just a bit of a challenge, but I learned so much doing the Christmas block swap, my 1st ever swap of anything, and have more courage now in my quilting ideas. I am so grateful Suzi convinced me to join in!
Lola

Blondie
October 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Pat you had better join up when it's time. I plan on it and I am most certainly not a good sew-er. I love the idea of sharing and I am counting on NO quilt police.

Several years back I was in a quilting group online and we did some wonderful block swaps. It boosted my confidence on several levels. Just remember, this is an extended little family here. I don't think anyone is going to complain about a thing.

That being said, I am really looking forward to having you and all my new sisters in on it. The more the merrier!

jrchapman
October 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Another fun point is that the blocks you get aren't made up into quilts so you can have a nosy at the back and learn something new

Brendat0426
November 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
so when you do a block swap does everyone use the same pattern? How do we find out about a new swap coming up. I have seen talk about it but havent really found anything specific about it. Not sure if I want to tackle that on top of three kids one due in jan and starting back to school in Jan as well. But I might think about it:icon_bigsmile:

jrchapman
November 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
They can all be the same pattern or all use the same type of fabric. Whichever you prefer.

Our first swap we all made our favourite block in floral fabric so we ended up with 12 completely different blocks but they all went together because they were all flowery. This time we're all doing the same block and using Christmas fabrics so they should look great together.

Blondie
November 2nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Not sure if I want to tackle that on top of three kids one due in jan and starting back to school in Jan as well. But I might think about it

Oh dear, Brenda. you are a busy lady. You do sound like me, when my children were coming on strong. I always got a huge spurt of energy the last month. I wish I had that type of ceiling cleaning energy now!

Sure hope that you can join in but can certainly appreciate your situation. God bless you!