PDA

View Full Version : I feel............proud but sort of odd

Divine Daisy
December 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have today sold a quilt which is not yet finished .......still needs binding. I sent a photo of it to my friend who is an artist to ask her advice between to fabrics for binding as I was really stuck and feeling colour fatigue.

Anyway.......long story short.....her partner is an interia designer and loved the quilt. It is actually a large feature wall hanging measuring 54" x 62". He is 'dressing' a room in a country house in January for a spring photo shoot for a glossy magazine. He has bought the hanging for the house after showing the photo to the owner. This house is Georgian and has hugely high ceilings and the quilt will go in the orangery.

I am having trouble getting my head around this. I designed it sitting in front of the tv doodling. I shopped for fabric as and when it occured to me or I saw something that was right and I sewed it in my back bedroom. I don't feel professional enough to have sold something for a project like this and at such an insane price.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very proud and the money is more than welcome........but but but.......

Both Mr Daisy and Heather said independantly 'NOW will you believe you are good'? I am trying lol

Sorry to ramble........why can't I just be thrilled and happy instead of half scared to death? lol I can't post a pic until after the article comes out but I will when it does.

K. McEuen
December 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I've always said, we are our own worst critics. Good for you, Daisy!

Bailey65
December 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
That is totally awesome!! You should be very proud of yourself :)

nana margaret
December 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Give yourself permission to be proud, you've earned it. I think sometimes we can be blinkered when it comes to our own work, I know I am. I live in England, in Durham, let me know which magazine it's going to be in so I can take a peek! Jolly good show Miss Daisy!:icon_bigsmile:

SuziC
December 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Good for you!!!!!!! We never think we are good enough but now you have proof. I'm so happy for you!!

Patrice
December 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
That's wonderful. My family cannot understand why I don't sell my quilts. I don't think I ever could. I just don't think they are good enough

SuzyQue
December 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Praises for such blessings! Kudos to you! Celebrate and enjoy!

Loonwatcher
December 3rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
That is wonderful. you should be very proud. Show us a picture of the quilt!

Monique
December 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Wow, Daisy, that is just fabulous. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD. If it wasn't good, they would not have wanted it. Congratulations.

MRoy
December 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
That's fantabulous! I hope this will help you to see your talent the way we see it...you're a wonderful fabric artist! Gosh, I know a celebrity!

toggpine
December 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hmm. International sheeping, silver swans, window dressings, and now glossy magazines featuring her work and PAYING her for it.

Anybody know when Miss Daisy is gonna figure out that she's got some mad quilting skills?

Congrats Daisy!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
You are amazing! And you'd better start believing it! Now we can all say we know a "published artist"--the honor is great and well deserved! I hope we can get to see the photos once the showing and photographing is complete!

Will we get to see the shop window soon? Nag, nag, nag!!!!!

aliaslaceygreen
December 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
CLAPPING!!!!! Congrats!! We are ALWAYS our worst critics!!! I bet it is stunning....and GOOD for you!!

bkthomas
December 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
I understand your mixed feelings but I am sew proud of you too!!!!

Deneldac00p
December 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
Fanaatastic Daisy!!! Isn't it nice to have your work recognized by other artists? Congrats and I am sure it is the first of many sales you will make.

Sew Perfect
December 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Daisy, that is so amazing. Good for you! Be happy and be confident in your skill. You must be doing something right!

HandsOffItsMine
December 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Dang girl, I would be doing a happy dance around the living room!

We've been all telling you how amazing your work is! Your hubby, your friend, her customers at the store, now a designer, holy moly smokes! In a magazine!!!

The girls here in the office in the tower love my Silver Swan that you've made for me! Then I brought them the teapot pincushion to show them as well. "Same gal, she made this too!" We all had a pin cushion swap, she turned out to be mine. lol

You are so, so talented! God knows you deserve to be recognized for it!

Can't wait to see the photo

QuiltinMike
December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
You go girl! Be loud and be proud!! :lol:

alliek
December 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
How wonderful Daisy, AND you are good! Congratulations!:icon_wave:

New York Sue
December 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Now this is CRAZY GOOD news! WOOHOO!
By all means show us a pic of the quilt, but make sure you get a copy of the magazine and place it with your most treasured memorabilia!!
Your reaction reminds me of this moment in Oscar history....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8nAvU0T5
CONGRATULATIONS, Miss Daisy!

New York Sue
December 3rd, 2012, 10:38 PM
Oh shi**y.
The link didn't work, but it was in 1985, when Sally Field accepted the Oscar for her performance in 'Places of the Heart'.
While accepting the award, she gushed, 'You like me, right now, you LIKE ME"...
I think it was right then and there, she realized she was a serious actress!
(The video would have been SO much better!!) lol

Slokarma
December 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! It's a huge compliment and a validation of your skills from someone who NEEDS it to look great. That's saying something!

I understand what your feeling tho, I think if it would have happened to me, it would have stopped me dead in my tracks and I would have started looking at it for what I could have done better......LOL.

HandsOffItsMine
December 3rd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Oh shi**y.
The link didn't work, but it was in 1985, when Sally Field accepted the Oscar for her performance in 'Places of the Heart'.
While accepting the award, she gushed, 'You like me, right now, you LIKE ME"...
I think it was right then and there, she realized she was a serious actress!
(The video would have been SO much better!!) lol

I knew it had to be the Sally Fields one lol!

buckeyequilter
December 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
You should be proud....way to go!

Ginny B
December 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Wow, fantastic! Let yourself feel pride in what you designed. Can't wait to see it when you can post the picture.

Congratulations.

Ginny B

Cat n bull
December 4th, 2012, 12:04 AM
What a wonderful accomplishment! You should be proud! I can't wait to see the pictures.

NanaB
December 4th, 2012, 12:04 AM
You are awesome (as I have said many times before). You should be very proud. We are all proud of you.

Just one question--what the heck is an 'orangery'???????? I don't think we have those here in the south!!

Sandy Navas
December 4th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Daisy - you know how Snoopy dances when he's excited?

You have my permission for a wild toe flapping ride in the sky.

How deserving!

lilmouse
December 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Ms. Daisy, you have earned that recognition, be happy and have confidence in yourself, we all know how great you are, now you need to realize it...we are soooo proud of you and we love you, I am very happy that you are finally receiving proper recognition for your skills!

meemeecyn
December 4th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Because you are humble, that is why it hard to accept. We all know on the forum know what great work you do, now the outside world is catching on. You Go, Girl!
Cynthia

Nursmate2
December 4th, 2012, 01:36 AM
That is too awesome. Good for you..I agree you have to believe in you now.

Tanya D
December 4th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Congratulations Daisy!!

MayinJerset
December 4th, 2012, 02:47 AM
KUDOS TO YOU MS. DAISY FOR A JOB WELL DONE.

So you think you aren't ''professional enough'',
so you think artists plan everything down to the last detail before they begin working on a project,
not so as true artist doodle around and pick stuff up here and there to create their works of art.
That's you to a T so be proud and enjoy the recognition.
May in Jersey

madampolo
December 4th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I would love to see a picture of the quilt. Do you have it in one of your albums? You should, indeed, be proud! I, too, had to look up what an orangery was.

Madeforyouinma11
December 4th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Congratulations! That is so exciting! I can't wait to see pictures....
Do the happy dance, you deserve it!

janluna
December 4th, 2012, 03:54 AM
How wonderful for you Daisy!!! Just sit back, take a deep breath, and repeat after me..... I ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then make Mr. Daisy pat you on the back, and tell you how wonderful you are. All artists think their work isn't good enough. God blessed you with talent, revel in it! Congratulations! We are all very proud of you. Hugs, Jan L.