PDA

View Full Version : Friday?

Blondie
November 30th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Good Morning Folksies

Doing a bit of a "sitting at the computer doing a happy dance." Why? it's Friday. And I still have 1 more day of work for the week. Tomorrow will be December 1. Which means that Christmas is coming sooner than I want it to or will be ready for. Why am I happy dancing? Mom is much better and I didn't have to bring her to the dr yesterday. I believe the ice paks, flexiril and ibuprofen are doing its job. I think she really wants to get better so that she won't have to eat my cooking any longer. Thank you for listening to my ugly rant yesterday. I know that each of us have those totally uncontrollable frustrating, clothes rending, hair pulling, foot stomping, finger wagging moments when the ones we adore make us temporarily crazy. She is and will always be a stubborn. I generally choose my battles with her because after all it is her life, not mine. I don't want her to live in a bubble of my making. So, everything's fine as a frog's hair right at the moment. Sis and I are most likely going to be staying with her tomorrow night to decorate her tree and have some happy time with Mom.

Continuing to keep my dear ones here in prayer. Needing another cup of coffee. Enjoy your day so much that you can't stop SMILING.

Blondie

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM
You know, Blondie, what makes this so frustrating is that you can see disaster coming, when your loved one blunders forward, not realizing that she is headed for disaster. And the frustration increases when YOU are the person who has to deal with fixing things that have gone wrong, and you KNEW this is where it would lead. That sweet man I was married to for 42 years did this to me so many times as his strength waned. I'd try to go to work and would come home to a bruised and battered man because he tried to do something physical by himself while I was gone that went horribly wrong. Then it was another trip to the doctor or hospital, the waiting rooms got to me, because of the hours we would spend there. Five hours was my limit, when we hit 5 hours of waiting, I was ready to go over the edge. The only thing that saved my sanity was playing games on my handheld device. Bejeweled saved my sanity. I still play it today to relax.

Blondie
November 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
You know, Blondie, what makes this so frustrating is that you can see disaster coming, when your loved one blunders forward, not realizing that she is headed for disaster. And the frustration increases when YOU are the person who has to deal with fixing things that have gone wrong, and you KNEW this is where it would lead. That sweet man I was married to for 42 years did this to me so many times as his strength waned. I'd try to go to work and would come home to a bruised and battered man because he tried to do something physical by himself while I was gone that went horribly wrong. Then it was another trip to the doctor or hospital, the waiting rooms got to me, because of the hours we would spend there. Five hours was my limit, when we hit 5 hours of waiting, I was ready to go over the edge. The only thing that saved my sanity was playing games on my handheld device. Bejeweled saved my sanity. I still play it today to relax.

I learned to relax playing stupid farmville and bingo on FB to relax enough to make me sleep a few years back when all the initial issues with Mom's health began. The hours, days, nights, weeks, months of hospital stays, dr visits, etc would leave me so exhausted. That is when I started in earnest to keep on hand stitching in a big bag by the front door. It was my sanity then. A handheld device would've been a good release. And Jean, you really hit the nail on the head. Mom doesn't remember anything of those three years. Only that she was really sick. Now she will speak with authority of what she went through and I realize it is my words to her that she is retelling. It was such a devastating time. She may not remember but I can not forget and I think that is what sparks my angst. I do not want to go back there again. Ever. Before Daddy got really down, he needed help at the same time. Sis had an emotional collapse during this, brother dearest is disabled, so that left it to me. No pity party here. Just the facts. Daddy was a much more compliant patient. He would get so aggravated with my Mom for pushing the envelope. That is why I told her the other day that "Melvin is here and he says . . ." Of course, she never really listened to him, so I know she won't listen to me. lol. There is just no reasoning with the dear girl, so like I said, most of the time I choose my battles wisely. And stay the night with her a whole lot of each week.
Thanks for being a pal, Jeanie Jelly Beanie. Makes me not feel quite so guilty!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Blondie, never feel guilt over what you do to serve your dear parents! You may think you can push yourself to do more, but you are doing what you can, and keep the home fires burning, and the work fires, and a lot of other fires that need tending. You are the kind of person who must help others, I've never met you, but I feel it through the airwaves! But a person like you thinks, "I should have done more." No, you've done all you can. And you are human, with human emotions. You get tired, you get frustrated, and going through the times that you've experienced with you mom in the past are experiences you DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH AGAIN!

After my husband passed away, a friend told me the story of her situation, her roommate got cancer and passed away. Mary Ellen was her caregiver. They were just roommates, not anything else. She quoted something from the bible that stuck with me. When we serve others, and lay our own lives aside to do so, we are "laying our lives down for our friend". I always thought that phrase meant giving up life and dying (in the literal sense, as in "taking a bullet" for them) for our friend or loved one. But isn't that what you do when you change your plans for the day, week, month, YEAR, to take care of a loved one who needs you? You can't do what you want or need to do, that needs to be laid aside, and you do for your friend. I felt a whole lot better about my frustration, anger, guilt that I had built up while ministering to my husband's illness, it was after the fact, but it helped me to lay the guilty feelings aside.

You are such a dear, I wish I could meet you in person some day. Keep that stitching close by, sounds like you might need it to help you through times ahead!

Deneldac00p
November 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Good morning Blondie and Jean
I know first hand what you are talking about. I saw my husband fail and do all kinds of things he shouldn't have during the last two years of his battle with leukemia and now, with my current problems my daughter is trying very hard to steer me in the right directions. I am a rather strong willed and independent type of person and I do realize that I have limitations but I just have to push that button that says hey, you can do it, go ahead. I am sitting in a position where I can see both sides. Nobody wants to grow old and lose their strength and capibilities and I think we all suffer from DENIAL I am trying hard not to give DD a hard time but I hate it when she treats me like a child. I am still capeable of doing many things. I suppose I am ranting just a bit too!!
Dena

Blondie
November 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I know first hand what you are talking about. I saw my husband fail and do all kinds of things he shouldn't have during the last two years of his battle with leukemia and now, with my current problems my daughter is trying very hard to steer me in the right directions. I am a rather strong willed and independent type of person and I do realize that I have limitations but I just have to push that button that says hey, you can do it, go ahead. I am sitting in a position where I can see both sides. Nobody wants to grow old and lose their strength and capibilities and I think we all suffer from DENIAL I am trying hard not to give DD a hard time but I hate it when she treats me like a child. I am still capeable of doing many things. I suppose I am ranting just a bit too!!
Dena

Dena, I know exactly what you are speaking of. Mom says the same thing to me. She will say, I can do this. To which I reply, yes, you can but SHOULD you? And then she will give me the Withering Mommy Look and say, I'm still your Mother. Oy. These days I have become even more bossy and reply, Guilting doesn't work any more. (It really does, I mean, give me guilt, I can find a place on my hips to accomodate it. haha.
It truly is a fine line we walk as we try to put ourselves in the other's shoes and mind. You are one special girlie. So rant away. Sometimes this group is more than cathargic.
Okay, I am LATE this morning. Gotta get my groove on for work.

quilter.martha
November 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Morning ladies. I haven't first hand experienced what you are going through with an aging parent, but my siblings have. I, unfortunately, live across the country from them and didn't experience the frustrations of dealing with getting our parents to move out of their house and into a retirement community. Guilt? Yep, I felt terrible I couldn't be there to support and help them. Guilt comes from many different angles. Talking about parents is difficult as I am coming up on the one year anniversary of losing my mother. How could a year already have passed? One thing I can say is that my father has done so extremely well. He is happier than he's been in ever so long. Being a care giver for someone with dementia can be so exhaustive, and that is where he was. This past year he has traveled 4 times, and is still working 2-3 days a week in his business. He turned 88 last week!

Today I get to meet up with our own Cynthia (meemeecyn) for lunch! I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

So everyone have a great Friday and weekend!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM
DenaDena, I know I'll be there someday soon, also, and feel the same way you do. Go ahead and rant! "Rage before the night!" We need to let it out, because growing old isn't for the faint hearted!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Morning ladies. I haven't first hand experienced what you are going through with an aging parent, but my siblings have. I, unfortunately, live across the country from them and didn't experience the frustrations of dealing with getting our parents to move out of their house and into a retirement community. Guilt? Yep, I felt terrible I couldn't be there to support and help them. Guilt comes from many different angles. Talking about parents is difficult as I am coming up on the one year anniversary of losing my mother. How could a year already have passed? One thing I can say is that my father has done so extremely well. He is happier than he's been in ever so long. Being a care giver for someone with dementia can be so exhaustive, and that is where he was. This past year he has traveled 4 times, and is still working 2-3 days a week in his business. He turned 88 last week!

Today I get to meet up with our own Cynthia (meemeecyn) for lunch! I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

So everyone have a great Friday and weekend!!!Martha, my best friend just lost her mom yesterday. She was a long time sufferer of dementia. I don't think the mom suffered as much as the kids did. When my mom died, I remember thanking the Lord on the day of her funeral for sparing me the agony of seeing my parents and parents-in-law suffer from a long slow decline from dementia. That has to be agonizing, to lose them a little bit more each day. The body is there, but the mind is not. My friend's fondest and most cherished memory will be of the last words her mother spoke to her, "I love you Judy". Many of us don't get that kind of memory to cherish.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Wow, this Friday has been a real soul-searching day! After all this heavy talk, let's all have a bright and shiny day! I just rearranged my charm square box, found a forgotten collection that will make a wonderful table runner for my dining room table, so I think I will make that today! Happy Friday, all!

MRoy
November 30th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ladies, I'm right there with you. DH and I were the primary caregivers of his mom, and I was with my mom more than the other siblings due to distance and their own health issues. To be honest, I'm a lot like my mom was..."independent as a hog on ice", so I may be just as stubborn as she was later on. I'm lucky to be healthy and I don't like to think about possibly losing or having to give up that independence some day. Dena, you rant all you want. We're here for you.

Please say a prayer for my grandkids in NY today. Their maternal grandfather in Arizona passed away yesterday. They got to spend two weeks with those grandparents this summer and I'm so glad they had that time with him.

TGIF!

Monique
November 30th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Good morning dear friends.

I ended up going to town with my friend yesterday. Bought a few items at the goodwill store. Clothes and 3 panels of embroidery panels. I don't know why I bought those, I haven't really embroidered for a very long time.

In the afternoon, I decided my sewing room needed a bad cleanup. I folded and put away fabric I bought back in Sept and some I bought last week. I had forgotten this fabric.

Hubby may be going away for the weekend. WOOHOO!! I have to work tomorrow morning but can do whatever I want after that.

It is really cold here today. We must have gotten about 3-4 inches of snow yesterday, but by Sunday and Monday it will be all gone, as they are calling for rain and warmer temps.

Have an awesome weekend folks.

quilter.martha
November 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Wow, this Friday has been a real soul-searching day! After all this heavy talk, let's all have a bright and shiny day! I just rearranged my charm square box, found a forgotten collection that will make a wonderful table runner for my dining room table, so I think I will make that today! Happy Friday, all!

You're right Jean! I do look forward to a bright and shiny day. I'm looking forward to meeting up with Cynthia and I hope to get more work done on Christmas presents. My new Janome 7700 left a black grease stain on a wall hanging I was quilting (my DH thinks it was "packing" grease that shouldn't happen again) and I think I got most of it out. I hope I haven't damaged the fabric is scrubbing it though. If it drys OK I'll finish it up hopefully!

aliaslaceygreen
November 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Uh huh, and yup and hugs to all... I did this with my grandfather....I was between 19-25, taking care of him(80-86 yo) his 86 yo sister! for some time, along with an 8 month old and two teen boys... tough tough tough....
Two more days till the WEEKEND!!!! Thankfully, I will have both days to myself, and if I can stay off the computer, I may be able to catch up on the quilting that needs finishing!!

take care!

CrazyMtnLady
November 30th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Good Morning all. It is only about 42* out but I didn't build up the fire. It is going to be in the 60s today and the house would be an oven if I had the wood stove going. I just put on some sweats and heavy socks and a heavy sweatshirt and I am fine. Just waiting for the coffee to get done.
I have been lucky in a sense and have not had to deal with a parent that way. My mother passed away quickly from a brain hemorrhage and my father died from heart problems. DH's mother is still living in Lansing, MI and we may have to end up taking care of her but that would be okay.
Century Link never showed up yesterday! They called and said they couldn't find us. DH gave them directions and they said they would reschedule. :(
DH will be leaving sometime today for his weekend gun show. I have a few plans up my sleeve to put up a few shelves. To surprise him when he gets home. And of course I have to do the normal cleaning I do when he is gone. But I plan on taking time for ME this weekend and doing some sewing. I printed out a few pdf files one different patterns, just haven't decided which one I want to do. I should just work on my UFOs.
Smells like the coffee is ready.

Have a wonderful weekend and I will check in with all of you on Monday.
Hugs and prayers.

MayinJerset
November 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
All I can say is that God was good to DH and I, our parents all passed very quickly so no long caregiving days. Especially thankful that my father passed in his sleep, he was a very difficult person and would have created havoc in all of our lives. Aging is slowly taking it's toll on DH and I but we push on, hopefully not too much to injury ourselves.

On a much brighter note, Blondie mentioned that tomorrow is Dec. 1 - that's my first born Bob's Bday. Can't believe he will be 57 and is a grandfather. He's the father of 3 girls, Mary is 30, lives in CA and is engaged to Harold - think a Fall 2013 wedding is in the plans, Laura is 28, lives in NJ, married to Bobby and the mother to our great grandson 1 1/2 year old Jack and she's expecting again in May and Elizabeth is 20, sophmore in college in PA. That's Mary & Harold with DH & I at another DGD's wedding, Laura and Jack, Elizabeth with Jack at his Christening and Bob, wife Debbie, their daughters, SIL Bobby and Jack at his Christneing. May

Cathy F
November 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Morning all!

Heavy frost on the lawn this morning but the sun is shining so it looks like it's going to be another good day here.

My flannel quilt for my grandson has been quilted and is on it's way home again should arrive tomorrow, can't wait to see it. She is also quilting another one for me and will give it to my sister who lives up by her to bring down to me on her next visit as there is no rush on that one, so another 2 quilts finished!

This has been a busy week and it seems to have flown by, my 2 granddaughters were very excited to be able to bring their horses home. The work converting their 2 1/2 car detached garage to a barn was finished and Monday the horses were able to move in.
So they had us going back and forth to meet the 2 horses. Beautiful animals but never having been around horses before I find their size a little intimidating.:) Got some cleaning to do today in the guest room as my daughter and her husband are coming to visit this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them as they don't live close by.

Well, better get moving, read some of the new posts and then get myself in gear. Hope you all have a good day!

Sandy Navas
November 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't know if I can write or not this morning. Blondie and Jean have me reflecting on so many things . . . stories have been told. Dena though, hit on something so close to my heart. I need to think about this.

Two of the girls were here yesterday morning to 'sew' with Nana. They always demand more time and patience than I seem to have although I sigh and put my plans on the back burner and dig in with them. Rita (5YO) decided she wanted to make finger puppets for one of her sisters and with my assistance in cutting out the pieces of felt for the horse she managed to hand-stitch it. But then she watched me on the sewing machine and decided that it would be better if she told me what to do and I sewed them on the machine for her because it would be so much easier.

Have to go get my truck registered today and got a notice just yesterday that my driver's license could also be renewed (I was hoping this would happen so I could avoid an additional trip next month). Have to pick up something from J-As for a Chinese Christmas Exchange at guild on this coming Monday night. Hoping after all that I'll be able to concentrate on finishing up some Christmas presents. May not get to sew today though - DD is getting terribly sick from the smell of anything cooking so she's not resting or doing well at all with this pregnancy morning (all-day) sickness. Al and I have been transporting kids back and forth from guitar, piano, and drum lessons, speech lessons, work . . .

You all take care, have a blessed Friday full of nothing but the best. BTW - the winner of the PowerBall from MO lives only about 20-25 miles from me . . . wonder if he's looking for a new wife . . .

New York Sue
November 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Lordie, Blondie! I hope your Mom behaves for a bit!

I remember after my Mom had a major stroke many years ago, she insisted she was hospitalized post stroke in one area hospital, when in fact, she wasn't. More than once, she became belligerent regarding this topic. Then it hit me. Let her believe what she wants, no harm, never mentioned again....

This helped my later when dealing with my elderly in-laws, and my DH sweet uncle who suffered with dementia. We were 'best buds', Eddie and me. Gardening and watching DD playing softball were our common bonds. Hurt so much when he decided to choose a long term care facility in Conn., near another niece. His decline was fast, as he lost any familiarity with anything familiar. It KILLED me, when after 6 months there, he didn't know my name. Had to let it go...He was sweet as can be up till the end. But again, couldn't flounce up the feathers too much! It would fluster him to no end...

Hope everyone's day is GREAT! I will sleep, eat, work, repeat for another two. Then SEW! ;)

And a side rant of my own, be careful not to OVER-DO the perfume thing in the morning. My eye's are burning, and my eyelids itchy and swollen from a 15 minute encounter with an employee health nurse!
JAYZEE. I was on to the scent 100 yards away, before I met her! I can STILL smell it.
GIVE IT UP! That new-wave musky smell will surely send me into an eventual anaphylaxis.
Worst part is, there's a lovely nurse who wears this SCENT, and has been acclimating herself on the day shift. Coming to us, on nights, TONIGHT.
God, help me.....And the patient she's caring for!

Monique
November 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know if I can write or not this morning. Blondie and Jean have me reflecting on so many things . . . stories have been told. Dena though, hit on something so close to my heart. I need to think about this.

Two of the girls were here yesterday morning to 'sew' with Nana. They always demand more time and patience than I seem to have although I sigh and put my plans on the back burner and dig in with them. Rita (5YO) decided she wanted to make finger puppets for one of her sisters and with my assistance in cutting out the pieces of felt for the horse she managed to hand-stitch it. But then she watched me on the sewing machine and decided that it would be better if she told me what to do and I sewed them on the machine for her because it would be so much easier.

Have to go get my truck registered today and got a notice just yesterday that my driver's license could also be renewed (I was hoping this would happen so I could avoid an additional trip next month). Have to pick up something from J-As for a Chinese Christmas Exchange at guild on this coming Monday night. Hoping after all that I'll be able to concentrate on finishing up some Christmas presents. May not get to sew today though - DD is getting terribly sick from the smell of anything cooking so she's not resting or doing well at all with this pregnancy morning (all-day) sickness. Al and I have been transporting kids back and forth from guitar, piano, and drum lessons, speech lessons, work . . .

You all take care, have a blessed Friday full of nothing but the best. BTW - the winner of the PowerBall from MO lives only about 20-25 miles from me . . . wonder if he's looking for a new wife . . .

Sandy, is he at least a good friend?

SuzyQue
November 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM
With my mom I facilitate between correcting her mistakes in thoughts and words and letting it just go. Sometimes it matters and sometimes it just doesn't and isn't worth the fuss. It is so hard to watch them lose themselves, but I find peace in their peace about it all.....at least my family members didn't struggle with it......they just didn't notice they were going. I have been through my great-grandmother, my granny, my dad, and now my mom not knowing who I am. It hurts, but they know that I am someone loving and someone that matters to them and I have to be at peace with that thought. My mom is doing better now, but I know it will come again. I just try not to be heartsick worrying that I will do this to my children...someday.

EnumclawGramma
November 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Oy. The posts from you all stir up so much in me I'm also sitting here in reflecting mode. Blondie to be honest I find myself envying you that you have your Mama around to frustrate you and push the limits. What I would give to have just one more day to take care of my Mom. I miss her so much, especially at this time of year. Splitting time between two households was difficult at times, trying to make time for DH and take good care of my Mom was a challenge. I would do it all again for one. more. day.

I think the most difficult part for the one being taken care of is the giving up independance part. With each day, week, month you have to back off and let others be the ones to do for you. I saw this with my Dad when he was battling brain cancer. Giving up independance was near impossible, especially for a man, I think. And it brought my Mama to tears when she realized her girls were taking care of HER. The day came, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. You know? To her it was only yesterday that she was doing the same for her Mother. I know someday my daughter will be right beside me doing the same, and I wonder.....what will I be like?

I haven't been on much lately. I pop on here and there and get caught up with all everyone's doing. You all are making/creating some WONDERFUL Christmas items! It's SO inspiring, I just can't tell you! I've been trying to make time for my own sewing, some days are successful, some not so much. I've been laid off from my job and so I'm pondering what to do next. I only worked part time but it kept me off the streets and put breathing room in the budget. Not sure what direction this new development will take me yet, we'll see. This is a direct result of the crash of the housing market and has really been coming for awhile. Stress I didn't need right now, but oh well.

Best get myself motivated and busy. Christmas music playing and a fire in the woodstove! Maybe this weekend we'll get the Christmas decorations out.

Hugs and Prayers to all who need or want! Have a wonderful day!

lilmouse
November 30th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Morning Everyone, hope everyone feels better after the rants...I feel all of your pain...been there and done that...enuf said! Got the binding on a quilt (just one side) and that is all I accomplished last night...and watched some more of the class I signed up for on Craftsy! Haven't tried any of it yet...not until project is done! I am doing well, off to my First Friday quilters...see you all later!

auntiemern
November 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Wow!!! What a heavyhearted, reflective post this AM. I took care of my dad and MIL, and oh how hard that was. Both physically, and mentally. I almost, yes I said almost, feel sorry for my DD if she ever has to be put in that position with me. I am not easy to live with now. I can't imagine how bad I will be then. DH get's on me now for doing things on my own. My response is let me do it while I still can. If I need your help, I will let you know. Most days are ok for me, but by night time, I need help getting up and down off the sofa, and the toilet. Like I tell my DD and DGK's, granny's legs only have so many ups and downs in them in a day.
On a different note, Rhonda will be up this evening, for a craft fair she booked this weekend. I haven't made anything additional to take to this one. Just gonna take what I have left from the others. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need, Lonna and Wayne, Mr. D, Matt and all the rest that are just to numerous to mention.
BTW Sandy, my niece is friends with the winner. She lives in Dearborn. She said it couldn't have happened to nicer people.

Madeforyouinma11
November 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wow... Today has brought me back to 14 yrs ago caring for my mom before she passed away. It was difficult for sure but looking back on it, I wouldn't of had it any other way. There were definitely trying times and times of guilt, anger and sadness but there were also times spent that I will cherish forever......

Ok, on the upside! Yesterday I started to decorate but while I decorate, if something needs to be cleaned, I also do that so I don't have to worry about it later. Well, I was decorating my fireplace/mantel and decided to clean out the fireplace....it really needed it! I felt like Cinderella but now it's sparkling clean and ready to use. I also did some sewing on a Christmas gift from 10pm til 2 am. My plan for today is more decorating and cleaning......and of course more sewing. I love the pattern. It's different and very interesting.
I also need to run to the grocery store and to the post office to mail my SS's package!
Well, good thoughts and prayers out to everyone and hope your day is filled with everything you are hoping for! :)

Granny Judy
November 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Like most of you, I had my time taking care of elderly parents and a spouse. It was a time I am happy to say in in the past. So hard and difficult but rewarding days of yester-year. Now I live with my #2 Daughter and she is so good to me. I am able to care for myself and cook for her & her dear hubby (he's a keeper!). But on the days when I am not able, they love me just the same. No pressures, just loving respect and caring. Geesh, I am truly BLESSED!

I've got a ton of items to get sewn before the holiday....so off to do some more cutting and piecing. Hope this day finds plenty of sunshine and brighter thoughts for all. Prayer and hugs going out to all.

shannonsaulter
November 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Ah yes Friday for most but alas not for me..sigh..three more days togo..So Monday is my Friday....Oh well...not much going on just relaxing with my coffee and getting a bit done before work..Have a great day all!

Sandy Navas
November 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Wow!!! What a heavyhearted, reflective post this AM. I took care of my dad and MIL, and oh how hard that was. Both physically, and mentally. I almost, yes I said almost, feel sorry for my DD if she ever has to be put in that position with me. I am not easy to live with now. I can't imagine how bad I will be then. DH get's on me now for doing things on my own. My response is let me do it while I still can. If I need your help, I will let you know. Most days are ok for me, but by night time, I need help getting up and down off the sofa, and the toilet. Like I tell my DD and DGK's, granny's legs only have so many ups and downs in them in a day.
On a different note, Rhonda will be up this evening, for a craft fair she booked this weekend. I haven't made anything additional to take to this one. Just gonna take what I have left from the others. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need, Lonna and Wayne, Mr. D, Matt and all the rest that are just to numerous to mention.
BTW Sandy, my niece is friends with the winner. She lives in Dearborn. She said it couldn't have happened to nicer people.

Maybe they will pass some of that bounty to your niece and it can filter down to you!!

Is your niece a Skaggs?

auntiemern
November 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM
No. But I am a Skaggs. Mom and Dad had 5 girls so none of my immediate family is Skaggs any more. I have cousins though that are Skaggs.
Maybe they will pass some of that bounty to your niece and it can filter down to you!!

Is your niece a Skaggs?

Blondie
November 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Well sure am sorry to have sounded so down and maudlin this morning ! It's Friday evening, just geting home from work and need to figure out something for dinner.
I promise to keep smiling, cuz I always do, come rain or shine, good times and hair tugging times.

HandsOffItsMine
November 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ok, left at 7:30 pm to help our friends from the Honolulu Airport to get their rental car, luggage, twin, inlaws to the hotel...with a list a mile long of adventure sidelines! Got home at 1:33 am!! I woke up feeling like I have a hangover!!! :( I'm too old for this excitement...

MRoy
November 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Blondie, you didn't get us down. We've just been reflecting on caring for and about those we love and wondering how we'll might be down the road.

Marilyn, there are Skaggs families in my area of Kentucky. Do you know if you have any KY kin?

Lisapc
November 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM
A year ago my Dad (73) was having a knee replaced. I begged and pleaded for them to do anything they could and I would do anything that I could to not have that surgery at the hospital that the Dr. sent them to. They refused and off he went. By some miracle he didn't end up with an infection. This place almost killed my brother in law and daughter and did kill a very good friends father with infection. They are highly rated in many other ways but unless you are in the industry you don't know enough to stay away from the place. If you are in the industry you do stay away. He did get the infection but they had to cut 4 inches of bone from his leg and replace that along with the knee. We all told them no morphine because of an allergy. So that poor man suffered with horrible pain for 2 weeks before he went to rehab. The doctor their flipped and prescribed tramadol pills and I forget the pain injection they gave him know but it was his first sign of relief.

I knew better, I warned them, I tried to stop it from happening. They refused, I am still their child and I watched the fallout. It was horrible. I didn't want to be right, I wanted my Dad safe.

These situations are never easy and I hope you are having a great time tonight!

Sandy Navas
November 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Blondie, you didn't get us down. We've just been reflecting on caring for and about those we love and wondering how we'll might be down the road.

Marilyn, there are Skaggs families in my area of Kentucky. Do you know if you have any KY kin?

We have them on this side of Missouri, too! Popular name, I guess. I wouldn't know about popularity since I was a JONES before Al found me.

A lot of my relatives were from Gravel Switch, KY!!!!!!!!!

MRoy
November 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Sandy, Gravel Switch is only about 50 miles from Russell Springs where I live. Small world, isn't it! We have lots of Jones here too. My maiden name is Gossage and some of my distant relatives settled in Missouri.

Sandy Navas
November 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Sandy, Gravel Switch is only about 50 miles from Russell Springs where I live. Small world, isn't it! We have lots of Jones here too. My maiden name is Gossage and some of my distant relatives settled in Missouri.

Of course, as you realize, the Jones family is the MOST difficult to trace back. However, I know for a fact that my paternal grandmother's family were from Gravel Switch - the Brintons. Originally descendents from: http://www.brintonfamily.org/ - I think a very interesting story.

Al and I were in KY a couple years ago and stopped at the PO in Gravel Switch. The postmaster was extremely helpful - told us there were about 37 graveyards around and he knew nothing about the Brintons. So, we didn't stay and search as time was of the essence. Missed seeing the Thomas Brinton home in PA because the weekend we were there interfered with a local town meeting and we couldn't get close.

Genealogy is so interesting.

Know my maternal and paternal grandmothers, but the maternal and paternal grandfathers' are more difficult to track.

auntiemern
November 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
None that I know of, but don't really know much about GF's side of family. He was already gone before I was born. I know more about my mom's side. Her relatives founded the town of House Springs just up the road from me. I have learned not to go digging to deeply, there are family secrets that are best left buried, lol.