PDA

View Full Version : Vacation or travel advice :)

Hulamoon
November 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I have had a little more than a few years of, what can I say, not a fun life. I want to take a trip but don't want to go alone. Have any of you taken a group trip, where you don't know anyone? My mom went to Africa and then to the Himilayas with a group. I looked up the company and it got really bad reviews. She's gone now so I can't ask.

Any advice?

auntiemern
November 30th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Find a company with good reviews check with the BBB, and after you are totally comfortable with what you have found out, and the tour group then I say Go For It!!!!! I see busses full of people on those kind of tours all the time.

madampolo
November 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Have you thought about taking a cruise as a single person, but one that has activities that you would enjoy? I have seen quilting cruises that hold workshops during the cruise. You would meet new people there.

Claire Hallman
November 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
If you decide on a cruise be sure to check out Cruisecritic.com. It is not what the name implies, it has roll calls for each ship's sailings with online chatting sort of like this forum. We have met and enjoyed many new friends through this site and have sailed with some of them several times. We have a cruise planned for next fall and will be cruising again with many we have met before. There are several single ladies sailing with us and they become part of the group very quickly.

Monique
November 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have done 3 quilt trips to the States and I loved it. Did not know a soul. Last year there were two buses and a whole new bunch of ladies to get to know.

Sondra
November 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
i second the cruise idea. Cruises are so relaxing, pampering and enjoyable. Disney Cruise line is incredible whether you are a kid, an adult or want to have fun like a kid. Super nice. Great reviews.

My Mom took an Alaskan cruise and loved being able to see the wildlife....

If you don't want a cruise look for an all-inclusive spa stay. It's so much nicer when you don't have to reach for your wallet every 10 seconds.

I see that you live in Kauai? So perhaps somewhere with moutains and gorgeous snow would be appealing? Colorado? Utah? Whereever you go I think scenery is a great thing to consider.

shannonsaulter
December 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
You can even pick a destination then sign up for day trips.last yr DH and I went to Ireland planning a return trip this yr coming. Also Delta Vacations takes payments..

You book air and hotel put so much down then have until a month before to pay off and you cam book330 days in advance.

Hulamoon
December 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
A cruise sounds like a great idea. Then maybe my next trip could be a little more adventurous.

Sondra that was what I was thinking. I don't need to go to a beach. You know I haven't been to the beach in about four years and it's 10 minutes away. lol. I do need some vitimin D and I have a new book and beach chair I bought last year. I guess I'll take a mini vacation and get some sun. :)

Hulamoon
December 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
You can even pick a destination then sign up for day trips.last yr DH and I went to Ireland planning a return trip this yr coming. Also Delta Vacations takes payments..

You book air and hotel put so much down then have until a month before to pay off and you cam book330 days in advance.

That's what my mom did. She stopped in New York and Amsterdam on her way to China. She was sick when she went to the himalayas. The altitude and with her heart gave her a lot of trouble. She went with Elder Treck and the reviews say how bad the housing and food were. I don't know what she was thinking. But she refused to learn the computer and couldn't get reviews anyway. I give her credit for jumping into it though.

pcbatiks
December 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi Lorie...........here's another idea. Looks like fun! The International Quilt Show in Ireland.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/Ireland_fullpg_MQ.pdf

Hulamoon
December 2nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Hi Lorie...........here's another idea. Looks like fun! The International Quilt Show in Ireland.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/Ireland_fullpg_MQ.pdf

I wonder if they have one to Norway or Scotland. Since that is my heritage that would be nice. So many ideas!

brook
December 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
I thought about going on a singles cruise one time and busted up laughing when I saw the company name. It was called Temptation.
LOL I decide that was definitely not for me! : )

Hulamoon
December 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
lol That sounds like a bad reality show.

CountryHut
December 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
-- I came across this just the other day --- this would be my cup of tea -- Quilting on the Blue Ridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXnaw8KRfw&feature=g-all

Diane :)